Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LF a new mmorpg F2P or P2P if its worth it.. PLEASE

loveztoforkloveztofork Member Posts: 9

Alrite so I'm looking for a new MMORPG. After playing wow and doing the end game to the open doors of wrath I just lost the spark of it. With the same reasons as everyone else(Terribad community,put up with bs just to see end game, and wrath has no more idiot check like BC did for end game). Basically heres what I'm looking for

-Large based community with an active community. Also, a community that does instances and/or dungeons and that you can always find one. I do not want to wait 3 hours to find a dungeon since PVE is the aspect I'm going for

-PVE oriented with some PVP. Not a huge fan of PVP and I'm looking for strategic and very cinematic end game fights. If it exists an MMORPG where the fight is actually challenging. Not doing the 3 phases on the left and the next set on the right for 2 years.

-Fun to play but with casual in mind. As I'm getting busy I can not have a game that will take me 2 hours to reach a quest area thats being camped by 100 other people. I want a game where the progression is fast but doesn't require a whole lot of bs to get from point A to B. Like I said I played WoW and travel times take forever just to kill a mob and travel forever to get back.

-No Asian type of mmorpgs.. I tried perfect world and a couple others and the music is just so bad and guys look like girls and its really like watching a cartoon

I've been scanning through and would love to hear your opinions about Guild Wars from what I heard its not much of a grind fest. Only concern I have is.. is there anybody playing it? Like I said I'm looking for a large community with alot of active players. Also if its leaning more towards PVP or PVE

I've also been looking at LOTRO and tried the trial awhile back and the graphics were superb. It just felt like WoW too much and would love to hear from people who are actually in depth in the game that can give me pros and cons about it.

CoH I've tried the free trial and it seemed fun at first with a really helpful community its basically saving the same ladys purse 1000 times and there is no end game pve..

THANKS for the help I'd really appreciate it

Comments

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

i would say reading your post, LOTRO or EQ2 seem like your best fit, and since you tried LOTRO, try the EQ2 trial

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Guildwars should work, yes. Nice graphics, litle grinding and quite big game so it is easy to find groups.

Only downside to the game is that it isn't based on gear, once you get to 20 and find a nice weapon most of the things you get are about looks. Also, Guildwars is pretty much harder than Wow, particulary once you run through the campaign and started it in hardmode.

But it is really worth trying.

EQ2 is a very good group based game but the community have  been dropping the last 9 months, might be that it started go up again after the expansion, dunno. Still if you want something more similar to Wow than GW, it is worth a free try. Just see that you play on a US server, the EU servers lagg badly.

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938
    Originally posted by Loke666

Only downside to the game is that it isn't based on gear

Downside??

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Lydon

Downside??

Many people think so yes, and expect to RAID for gear.

I really had to write that one down, or the OP would be dissapointed if he was looking for that kind of game.

Originally posted by Loke666

Downside??

Many people think so yes, and expect to RAID for gear.

I really had to write that one down, or the OP would be dissapointed if he was looking for that kind of game.

That was the point of Guild Wars - to eliminate the need for gear as people get frustrated having to grind for items. In the essence of the game that Guild Wars is, the fact that gear is useless isn't such a bad thing at all. 

• loveztoforkloveztofork Member Posts: 9

I wouldn't mind it being gear dependant or not as long as its fun. Trust me I've raided months at a time to get full t6/swp gear in WoW. Like I said on my OP I won't have time for that kind of game. Is there any end game in guild wars though? Because I've been looking but haven't seen any videos or anything about end game raids on the game. Although I'm trying to stay away from the many hours of dedication I'm still looking for a game to keep me running it for a good while as I won't have time to be jumping from game to game sub to sub. Thanks for the input so far!

• NicooNicoo Member UncommonPosts: 236

You seem to think WoW is a game that needs to be played 7 days a week 24/7.

Well, then I can tell you that is not true. I raid 3 times a week, I cleared everything. I work, I have a girlfriend and a social life. So, you dont have to spend your whole life on WoW tbh.

Originally posted by loveztofork

I wouldn't mind it being gear dependant or not as long as its fun. Trust me I've raided months at a time to get full t6/swp gear in WoW. Like I said on my OP I won't have time for that kind of game. Is there any end game in guild wars though? Because I've been looking but haven't seen any videos or anything about end game raids on the game. Although I'm trying to stay away from the many hours of dedication I'm still looking for a game to keep me running it for a good while as I won't have time to be jumping from game to game sub to sub. Thanks for the input so far!

Guild Wars works differently. The end game takes a long time to achieve due to features such as Hard Mode being present. There are elite missions and dungeons one can run. But Guild Wars shines in the PvP department. It's PvP is excellent - by far the best I've ever played - and extremely addictive. As a result most end up doing that. 

Of course, one can work towards titles and do other PvE content should one not wish to PvP.

Guild Wars seems like a good game to try definitely doesn't hurt as its free to play. I do enjoy pvp but stopped because WoW's pvp is so lop sided it became pointless. It was to the point where there was no team play even in a team based battleground. It was all about PVP gear and if you farmed it longer than the other person. Even in arena I reached on the high charts in arena  to get all sets of t4 just by picking a class and comp that everybody else was doing which got old TOO FAST.  I'd be happy to work on the ''harder'' part in GW since I'm looking for a game that has an idiot check. Like I said WoW used to have one in BC until wrath came out and people who could barely clear t4 ( lowest tier in BC) content is already breezing through naxx which is one of the highest end games ATM in wotlk. But I'm also looking for a more casual side of the MMOs

Now my question. I've only heard of GW through word of mouth and through forums. I think I saw a review about it but that was awhile. Is there still a strong community through out? I have some WoW buddies who used to go on GW rite after a raid.  I'm looking for 11mil subs like WoW but I really don't wanna play in a ghost town.

Originally posted by loveztofork

Guild Wars seems like a good game to try definitely doesn't hurt as its free to play. I do enjoy pvp but stopped because WoW's pvp is so lop sided it became pointless. It was to the point where there was no team play even in a team based battleground. It was all about PVP gear and if you farmed it longer than the other person. Even in arena I reached on the high charts in arena  to get all sets of t4 just by picking a class and comp that everybody else was doing which got old TOO FAST.  I'd be happy to work on the ''harder'' part in GW since I'm looking for a game that has an idiot check. Like I said WoW used to have one in BC until wrath came out and people who could barely clear t4 ( lowest tier in BC) content is already breezing through naxx which is one of the highest end games ATM in wotlk. But I'm also looking for a more casual side of the MMOs
     Now my question. I've only heard of GW through word of mouth and through forums. I think I saw a review about it but that was awhile. Is there still a strong community through out? I have some WoW buddies who used to go on GW rite after a raid.  I'm looking for 11mil subs like WoW but I really don't wanna play in a ghost town.

Guild Wars has sold over 5.5 million copies. It's nowhere near deserted, especially PvP.

Guild Wars is completely team-based and skill-based. You can create a maximum level character right from the start if you only want to PvP with it and get all the gear you need too. 

• jezvinjezvin Member UncommonPosts: 804

If you are truly looking for a casual game guild wars might work, also guild wars is very PvP orientated I don't think there is a whole lot on the PvE side but i have never really done a lot of the later stuff in the game mainly because I played it to PvP.

If you want to play an in depth game with a lot of content a good community and still one of the most popular games out there I would say FFXI. Now a lot of people will say you have to give your life to this game to play it, but that is not what the game is about. If you try to power game ffxi and do everything as fast as you can the game will chew you up and spit you out, there is so much in ffxi you need to take it one step at a time find friends and enjoy yourself.

I mainly mention FFXI because you said you wanted strategic end game fights, it has ton of fights that you have to know how to play the game and you class while working with people to accomplish them.

The biggest thing with ffxi is making friends and playing with them, you can't play the game solo it’s a mmo.

But if you’re dead set on the casual then FFXI is prob not the best for you, even though I know of many people who play the game casually, the only problem imo is getting over the first few hurdles and you always have to be ready to learn the game will not spoon feed you.

-------------------------------------------------
    Achiever 20.00%, Explorer 86.67%, Killer 60.00%, Socializer 33.33%

EKSA

Originally posted by jezvin

also guild wars is very PvP orientated I don't think there is a whole lot on the PvE side 

There are three campaigns, each with their own storyline (including cinematics) and continent, as well as an expansion that expands the continent of the original campaign and ties up the story. There is LOADS of PvE.

• jezvinjezvin Member UncommonPosts: 804

also guild wars is very PvP orientated I don't think there is a whole lot on the PvE side 

There are three campaigns, each with their own storyline (including cinematics) and continent, as well as an expansion that expands the continent of the original campaign and ties up the story. There is LOADS of PvE.

I guess the story just didn't do it for me it seemed like a very singleplayer game and for the most part I get turned off by that. It is very linear with missions involving you to kill hordes of mobs on a set course. not saying it isn't fun it just felt more like a single player game which really dosn't harness the aspect of PvE from an MMO that I like.

Achiever 20.00%, Explorer 86.67%, Killer 60.00%, Socializer 33.33%

EKSA

• KyutaSyukoKyutaSyuko Member UncommonPosts: 288

I guess the story just didn't do it for me it seemed like a very singleplayer game and for the most part I get turned off by that. It is very linear with missions involving you to kill hordes of mobs on a set course. not saying it isn't fun it just felt more like a single player game which really dosn't harness the aspect of PvE from an MMO that I like.

Single Player game?  I found it near impossable to get through the Missions with just Hench and Heroes.  You need other players to get through them, granted using a good healer hero if you can't find a good monk is ok so long as you grab the hench to back them up.

Everyone has their tastes. But Guild Wars definitely provides a load of PvE - just of its own type.

most likely will try guild wars. there any more suggestions?

• VezkarVezkar Member Posts: 22

i played guilds wars some times back, got to 20 played some pvp but jsut got bored, but i dont have nothing negative to say about the game, its a unique game like everyone out there, OP if i were you, id just search till you find your own game, that fits you, people on here will recommend games that they like, so ther fore im not gonna recommend none, but there is a game for you

• dlooneydlooney Member Posts: 306

GAHH!! I hate you guys, your making me wanna dust of the box and play guild wars again. As for what the op was asking guild wars is what you make it, whether it be a pve game or a pvp game. There is also many things you can do for instance getting different titles or doing 12 vs 12 faction fights. One other thing that I love about the game and that in all the hours of playing it is I still dont have all the skills, there is truly a massive amount of skills if you have all four games. So if you try guild wars I do not think you will be dissapointed and good luck.

• almerelalmerel Member UncommonPosts: 658

Guild Wars is a great game imo. You can get the Trilogy pack for $50... Which is all 3 campaigns. There is a very large player base. There are always new ppl playing, so you wont be looked down on for being a noob(there are always douche bags though). Last year I got my wife and a few of my friends into it. My biggest complaint is that you can't Jump. However, you get over that pretty quick.

-Almerel

Hello my old friend.