Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Computer Build Help

salty.codsalty.cod Member Posts: 3

Hello, I've been looking into building a computer, and with Black Friday deals coming up, I'm trying to put together a budget computer that can run games like LotRO, CSS, Left 4 Dead, CoD4, etc. I don't really care if they run on the highest settings but being able to run on Medium - High settings would be nice at an affordable price and be able to last me a while with minimal upgrades along the way. So here is what I've come up so far:

Case/PSU: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4146242&Sku=TC3J-2375

Mobo: www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx

CPU: www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx

RAM: www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx

HDD: www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx

DvD: www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx

Video Card: www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx

Monitor: www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx

If I could get some feedback on anything I listed or am missing. Also, any tips to help shave off some dollars I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

P.S. This would be my first build, if that helps with anything. So, I'm not too tech savvy like some.

Comments

• Tyres100Tyres100 Member Posts: 704
    Originally posted by salty.cod

Hello, I've been looking into building a computer, and with Black Friday deals coming up, I'm trying to put together a budget computer that can run games like LotRO, CSS, Left 4 Dead, CoD4, etc. I don't really care if they run on the highest settings but being able to run on Medium - High settings would be nice at an affordable price and be able to last me a while with minimal upgrades along the way. So here is what I've come up so far:
    Case/PSU: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4146242&Sku=TC3J-2375      Yes good case and good PSU manufacturer ULTRA.
    Mobo: www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx   Yes one of my favorite mid range LGA 775 boards.
    CPU: www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx     Ok for your low end budget build.
    RAM: www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx     No  you are using a 32bit OS, Vista 32bit will not recognize 4gigs. Instead go with faster memory at 2gigs. Preferably- www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx
    HDD: www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx      Yes
    DvD: www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx       Yes
    Video Card: www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx    Yes for your build and where you are going this fits in perfectly. Anything stronger and I think your CPU starts to become the bottleneck here, besides your not expecting to go full 1680x1050 res on this monitor you picked out anyway. You would need to spend a couple hundred more to get great frame rates in any newer games at those resolutions, however; those games you mentioned should play at 1680x1050 maxed out with this card. Just don't try it with anything newer Crysis etc.

But overall the 4670 is a terrific mid to mid low range budget video card. This particular ones has a great HSF also, outstanding price performance range. It is the fastest card out for the price range today.
    Monitor: www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx   Yes, the only 19'' I seen supporting 1680x1050 native resolution. By the reviews it looks good.
    OS: www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx     Who pays for OS anymore? Stick to XP for gaming and simply everything else for what your hardware supports. If you want to move to Vista be prepared for 50+ up to 150 services running without tweaks on the services.msc and other tweaks. It simply is way to slow and bogs down any great PC build without tweaks. Installing Vista on your mid low system build you have here will only cause you problems and give you a headache.

Besides DX10 games require heavy hardware which you do not have to run efficiently with good FPS. Because all newer DX10 titles are going towards high end textures and graphics, this is why your system is not going to do well here. A minimum of a 4850 and using Vista 64 with 4 gigs ram is needed to run those DX10 titles decently at high resolutions.  
    If I could get some feedback on anything I listed or am missing. Also, any tips to help shave off some dollars I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
    P.S. This would be my first build, if that helps with anything. So, I'm not too tech savvy like some.

What are you looking to spend?

Who let you in the VIP section?

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Hmm, let me see here.

First of all, you will need a better power supply, at least 650W, possibly 750 if you plan of sticking new harddrives in it.

The Gigabyte card is acceptabl but MSI cost not much more and are better. Your processor is kinda slow, it doesn't cost much to get a faster one. The gfx card is crap, look on this chart:

I building the computer for most people I know, here are my recomendations (using the same store as you:

Processor: Core 2 duo 3,0 Check the FSB, 1333, it is the speed which the processor and memorys communicate, it is very important.

Motherboard: Cheap or better but more expensive

GFX Card: A good one or a cheap one

Rest of the stuff, get as you thought, but get a powersupply with 650W instead. I do reccomend the expensive MB and GFx card. The MB will include some good software to easy clock the processor up safely, good when youre playing high end game. Look up the GFX cards I reccomended on the chart I linked to, that is how they perform in Crysis. Use my reccomendations and you should be able to run any game on high setting.

Really, the expensive MB I linked to is a bargain, it is not that expensive. Japans best MB (Asus don't do it's MBs in japan anymore, and quality is down a lot since), use a bit more expensive version of it myself The side you linked to didn't have it though so I found it elsewhere.

I did link to the cheap one also but buy it only as an emergency way if it is impossible to afford the good one, a good MB is important.

Good luck, PM me if you need any help

• Recon48Recon48 Member UncommonPosts: 218

I have to disagree with the above post regarding the power supply.  The Ultra 600w should be enough to run your planned rig as listed trouble free.  The Radeon 4670 is not a power hungry board.  Basing numbers from a power supply calculator your listed system would require 272watts under the following conditions:

A)  System Load: 100% (peak load) - all components are at 100% load, including start up surge current compensation

B)  Electrolytic capacitor aging. When used heavily or over an extended period of time (1+ years) a power supply will slowly lose some of its initial wattage capacity. We recommend you add 10-20% if you plan to keep your PSU for more than 1 year, or 20-30% for 24/7 usage and 1+ years.  I added 30% in this quote.

I like to base a power supply calculation fit for hardcore useage.  When I build a system, I try to exceed the minimum wattage calculation by an additional 20-25%, which brings your minimum system requirement to 340watts.  I'd say if Ultra is willing to back their PSUs with a lifetime limited guarantee, you know it isn't going to have the cheapest possible components inside.  Regardless, you're in good shape with a 600w PSU. 

The other critical factor to pay attention to regarding a power supply is total amperage on the 12V rails.  The Ultra has a single 32A rail, which is making me consider the same case/PSU combo for my next build.    I will agree that the Radeon 3870 is a bit  more video card for not much more $$.  I game on this one in my XP rig:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131095

When deciding on the OS, I'd say if you're really after DirectX10, go ahead with Vista and research the tweaks or have someone you trust tweak it for you.  If DX9 is fine, then XP is the way to go.  Finally, 4GB ram is fine to put in a 32-bit sstem.  The system will only use 3+GB of it, but faster RAM won't be noticeable except on benchmark charts.  Total RAM is god in reducing MMO lag.

• salty.codsalty.cod Member Posts: 3

@ Tyres

For the OS. I only have a Windows XP Media Center back up disc. So, that's why I chose the OS. Would you still reccomend the XP OS or go with Vista?

@ Loke

The parts you listed are nice but i believe they'd be out of my range I'd like to spend on them.

@ Recon

Thanks for the information on the PSU.

---

I was looking at the CPU options. How does AMD fair against Intel? Would this mobo and CPU be a better option than my first choices? Also, which video card would be a better choice? The one Loke or Recon listed? I might be stretching it a bit but I'd like to spend around $700 for this build, but I might be a little flexible on the price.

Thanks for the replies and information, much appreciated.

Originally posted by Loke666

Hmm, let me see here.
    First of all, you will need a better power supply, at least 650W, possibly 750 if you plan of sticking new harddrives in it.
    The Gigabyte card is acceptabl but MSI cost not much more and are better. Your processor is kinda slow, it doesn't cost much to get a faster one. The gfx card is crap, look on this chart:
    I building the computer for most people I know, here are my recomendations (using the same store as you:
    Processor: Core 2 duo 3,0 Check the FSB, 1333, it is the speed which the processor and memorys communicate, it is very important.
    Motherboard: Cheap or better but more expensive
    GFX Card: A good one or a cheap one
    Rest of the stuff, get as you thought, but get a powersupply with 650W instead. I do reccomend the expensive MB and GFx card. The MB will include some good software to easy clock the processor up safely, good when youre playing high end game. Look up the GFX cards I reccomended on the chart I linked to, that is how they perform in Crysis. Use my reccomendations and you should be able to run any game on high setting.
    Really, the expensive MB I linked to is a bargain, it is not that expensive. Japans best MB (Asus don't do it's MBs in japan anymore, and quality is down a lot since), use a bit more expensive version of it myself The side you linked to didn't have it though so I found it elsewhere.
    I did link to the cheap one also but buy it only as an emergency way if it is impossible to afford the good one, a good MB is important.
    Good luck, PM me if you need any help

I'm sorry but I find your post of suggestions really ridiculous. If you know anything about PC components and hardware you would know the current list of parts do not require anything above a 475 watt PSU, heck even a 400 watt PSU is sufficient if the 12v rail has at least 28 amps. But hes getting a 600 watt Ultra PSU with it which is well above what he needs, and it is a great PSU. Hard drives do not impact PSU tolerances, why you would even mention it is beyond me. A HD does not draw that much off the PSU.

The OP was building a PC that is cost effective but maintains good enough performance to play his listed games and some others that can be played very well that are not on that list above. Why you want to throw out expensive big parts to avoid the OP's thread on what he is looking for is also beyond me. Please read.

His CPU of choice is fine, however I would recomend a 1066 FSB CPU for added performance. Your suggesting a $70 or more price increase on a CPU, again the OP wants to build a cheap system price/performance.

His mobo of choice is spot on, nothing wrong with it. Going to a expensive mobo with cheaper parts will not make his PC faster, instead a waste of money. The Gigabyte mobo he listed is an awesome board, I have the same one in my other PC.

His GFX card of choice is good for what he wants, going better will not give much more performance with lower end hardware. So then your really building a higher end PC which costs alot more then the OP probably is willing to spend. That number is a few hundred dollars more.

• tastethegoldtastethegold Member Posts: 53

pick up a barebone from tigerdirect.com

3.2ghz (dual core-since QUAD CORES ARE SHIT FOR GAMING!!!!!!!!! let me say it again since people have a hard time grasping this QUAD CORES ARE SHIT FOR GAMING!!!!!!) 3 gigs ram 450W psu case mobo with pciex16=150$

if you need to ask you dont know, since you dont know trust me and just get a barebone kit from tigerdirect.com.

@ Tyres
    For the OS. I only have a Windows XP Media Center back up disc. So, that's why I chose the OS. Would you still reccomend the XP OS or go with Vista?
    @ Loke
    The parts you listed are nice but i believe they'd be out of my range I'd like to spend on them.
    @ Recon
    ---
    I was looking at the CPU options. How does AMD fair against Intel? Would this mobo and CPU be a better option than my first choices? Also, which video card would be a better choice? The one Loke or Recon listed? I might be stretching it a bit but I'd like to spend around $700 for this build, but I might be a little flexible on the price.

I still think your better off with XP. Right now going with Vista will only be a major problem for you because you would need 4 gigs memory minimum in Vista. Vista 64 and Vista 32bit both need 4 gigs, even though you will only be able to use 3.2 or 3.5 gigs in Vista 32bit you still need the extra to combat the large running process orders that Vista has by default. And if you do not get Vista ultimate you wont be able to turn off some of those processes that never will be used, so that would mean spending more money to get Ultimate.

XP with SP3 gives the best game performance and stability over Vista still today. Even though I am an expert MS OS user I still think XP is best. I run Vista 64 Ultimate highly tweaked and baked by myself, running 31 processes from the original 73 active on fresh install gives me better then 50% performance boost in all benchmarks with 4 gigs ram. So if you are not savy at tweaking and understanding your processes and other OS ins and outs you will be sluggish running apps and games.

XP has the advantage for all games still. Do some research on the net, google works best. But you will find many saying Vista is better over XP, this is true for some things and if you are using 4 gigs ram and higher end hardware, if your not then XP is best still. Trust me you wont miss DX 10 and certainly not in the next 5 years. DX11 will be the new one by then and by that time you will need a $3000 PC to play anything without major loss of performance.

Originally posted by tastethegold

pick up a barebone from tigerdirect.com
    3.2ghz (dual core-since QUAD CORES ARE SHIT FOR GAMING!!!!!!!!! let me say it again since people have a hard time grasping this QUAD CORES ARE SHIT FOR GAMING!!!!!!) 3 gigs ram 450W psu case mobo with pciex16=150$
    if you need to ask you dont know, since you dont know trust me and just get a barebone kit from tigerdirect.com.

Depends, what barebone kit. You have not supplied a link. Usually barebone kits have horrible PSU, mobo choices and memory kits. But the CPU they offer usually is better then most the parts.

And yes Quad core CPU is not for gaming.

Originally posted by Tyres100

@ Tyres
    @ Loke
    @ Recon
    ---

I still think your better off with XP. Right now going with Vista will only be a major problem for you because you would need 4 gigs memory minimum in Vista. Vista 64 and Vista 32bit both need 4 gigs, even though you will only be able to use 3.2 or 3.5 gigs in Vista 32bit you still need the extra to combat the large running process orders that Vista has by default. And if you do not get Vista ultimate you wont be able to turn off some of those processes that never will be used, so that would mean spending more money to get Ultimate.

XP with SP3 gives the best game performance and stability over Vista still today. Even though I am an expert MS OS user I still think XP is best. I run Vista 64 Ultimate highly tweaked and baked by myself, running 31 processes from the original 73 active on fresh install gives me better then 50% performance boost in all benchmarks with 4 gigs ram. So if you are not savy at tweaking and understanding your processes and other OS ins and outs you will be sluggish running apps and games.

XP has the advantage for all games still. Do some research on the net, google works best. But you will find many saying Vista is better over XP, this is true for some things and if you are using 4 gigs ram and higher end hardware, if your not then XP is best still. Trust me you wont miss DX 10 and certainly not in the next 5 years. DX11 will be the new one by then and by that time you will need a $3000 PC to play anything without major loss of performance.

you dont need 4 gigs min. with vista! stop talking because you speak nonsense. for 1 you CAN use 4 gigs with vista 32 since sp1. vista ult is shit, get home premium (64 bit hopefully) ult is the 1 that HAS extra procs you dont need unless you are a business user.

xp sp3 gives ass performance under dx10 so shut up already you know NOTHING. you are not an expert at anything or you would KNOW THIS STUFF! blackviper.com is all you need to know to tweek vista properrly.

OP do not believe this fanboy clown, hes a 15 year old who doesnt know jack. (xp fanboy...come out of the stone ages...like windows 7 with DX11 wont be the same buggy POS every other microsoft o/s has been until it got a service pack....damn man, you make stupid people sound brilliant).

you can build a pc for under a grand that can run every game out right now as long as you dont need a monitor too. prices are dropping like this kids I.Q.

not that i need a link but http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=4319065&sku=B450-2372 B

for example

yea the mobo IS shit, but it will run shit. since they aint trying to blow $ out their ass its a nice dealor jump up to the 300 $ range, either way the barebones will smoke newegg REPEATEDLY./ you go to newegg for 1 part unless you are building a totally high performance rig you dont buy parts there.

pick of the litter would be gigabyte mobo and cooling, AMD cessor (screw intel) ddr2 800 or better and a 450-500$ vid card. 450W psu for single card (or better obviously) 700+for sli or xfire.

he wouldnt be asking if he knew, being that he doesnt know im going to assume he isnt trying to build a 3k rig (or he would waste alot of $ and just buy dell or alienware). barebones are simple.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I'm sorry but I find your post of suggestions really ridiculous. If you know anything about PC components and hardware you would know the current list of parts do not require anything above a 475 watt PSU, heck even a 400 watt PSU is sufficient if the 12v rail has at least 28 amps. But hes getting a 600 watt Ultra PSU with it which is well above what he needs, and it is a great PSU. Hard drives do not impact PSU tolerances, why you would even mention it is beyond me. A HD does not draw that much off the PSU.
    The OP was building a PC that is cost effective but maintains good enough performance to play his listed games and some others that can be played very well that are not on that list above. Why you want to throw out expensive big parts to avoid the OP's thread on what he is looking for is also beyond me. Please read.
    His CPU of choice is fine, however I would recomend a 1066 FSB CPU for added performance. Your suggesting a $70 or more price increase on a CPU, again the OP wants to build a cheap system price/performance.
    His mobo of choice is spot on, nothing wrong with it. Going to a expensive mobo with cheaper parts will not make his PC faster, instead a waste of money. The Gigabyte mobo he listed is an awesome board, I have the same one in my other PC.
    His GFX card of choice is good for what he wants, going better will not give much more performance with lower end hardware. So then your really building a higher end PC which costs alot more then the OP probably is willing to spend. That number is a few hundred dollars more.

A 650W power supply ain't costing much more than 600 and do give him an option to actually get a better GFX card in time. Sure with the cheap gfx card he can run it anyways but it is not fun too be forced to get a new power supply just because you want a new GFX card.

The CPU is the most important thing in the computer to get one below 1333 will really slow things down a lot. And while 70 bucks is some money, the difference between 2 and 3 ghz are extremly big, not even counting the speed of the FSB.

I have bad experiences with Gigabyte myself, had to replace a few ones for friends.MSI boards works well for a low price. And A-BIT don't use cheap components, only the best japanese made ones.

And yes, if the OP gets the slow processor the GFX card is enough.-

A 650W power supply ain't costing much more than 600 and do give him an option to actually get a better GFX card in time. Sure with the cheap gfx card he can run it anyways but it is not fun too be forced to get a new power supply just because you want a new GFX card.

The CPU is the most important thing in the computer to get one below 1333 will really slow things down a lot. And while 70 bucks is some money, the difference between 2 and 3 ghz are extremly big, not even counting the speed of the FSB.

I have bad experiences with Gigabyte myself, had to replace a few ones for friends.MSI boards works well for a low price. And A-BIT don't use cheap components, only the best japanese made ones.

MSI is superior in video cards, in mobo's gigabyte is working it, sorry but they are trying to make a name for themselves so they are working harder. abit had 1 great board and has rode it this far ( i cant deny the greatness of the 1 board though...for the record that was back in the days of single core cessors also). 650W is more than sufficient for any single card setup, 450 i believe is as far as any 1 card can require.

50 watts more for a PSU he gets free basically with that Ultra case is not doing anything for him. Saying to buy a 50 watt more PSU that will have the same amps on the 12v rail and specs except for 50 watts offers nothing. With that 600 watt PSU he is fine.

Why would he be looking to upgrade much more on a cheap PC build? He has already told you he is not paying more money for better parts.

That case is awesome, my friend has it and the PSU that comes with it is great. Hes paying $99 to get the case which costs near that because of its solid construction and great airflow and design. PSU he is getting free essentially.

His CPU choice matches what he wants to accomplish for price/performance. 800 FSB is not all that much slower then 1066 FSB in benchmarks on clock per clock basis. Above 1066 the distance between 1066 and 1333 does offer greater performance, but the OP is probably not concerned with that when most of his build is reflecting around a cheap game rig capable of playing current games decently and effectively.

Gigabyte boards like the one he has linked uses solid state capacitors from Japan and other top end components. Every manufacturer of top mobos uses top end components in most of their boards. Some only offer them when going above x model series.

• megafluxmegamegafluxmega Member Posts: 138

50 watts more for a PSU he gets free basically with that Ultra case is not doing anything for him. Saying to buy a 50 watt more PSU that will have the same amps on the 12v rail and specs except for 50 watts offers nothing. With that 600 watt PSU he is fine.

Why would he be looking to upgrade much more on a cheap PC build? He has already told you he is not paying more money for better parts.

That case is awesome, my friend has it and the PSU that comes with it is great. Hes paying $99 to get the case which costs near that because of its solid construction and great airflow and design. PSU he is getting free essentially.

His CPU choice matches what he wants to accomplish for price/performance. 800 FSB is not all that much slower then 1066 FSB in benchmarks on clock per clock basis. Above 1066 the distance between 1066 and 1333 does offer greater performance, but the OP is probably not concerned with that when most of his build is reflecting around a cheap game rig capable of playing current games decently and effectively.

Gigabyte boards like the one he has linked uses solid state capacitors from Japan and other top end components. Every manufacturer of top mobos uses top end components in most of their boards. Some only offer them when going above x model series.

i believe you were told to stop speaking and i totally see why.

• rhinokrhinok Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

ArsTechnica has a nice system guide they update on a regular basis.  Check it the most recent edition:

LInky...

~Ripper