Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

George Lucas backs Old Republic MMO

DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

George Lucas is apparently throwing his full weight behind Star Wars: The Old Republic, although producer Tom Nichols does admit to Eurogamer.net that the old-time filmmaker isn't a fan of MMO titles. Apparently, he hasn't played World of Warcraft.

LucasArts' Nichols reportedly demonstrated the game to Lucas last week, revealing that "they showed him the art style of the game, we talked about how story is communicated and showed him some examples of that."

Lucas is excited, and recognises the importance of Stars Wars heading back into "the MMO space," while his son likes to play MMO games, including Star Wars Galaxies. Continued support for the title is assured: "We have many other features planned to support Star Wars Galaxies," Nichols revealed. "We see no reason why the two games can't exist together."

Source: http://play.tm/news/21958/george-luc...-republic-mmo/

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

Comments

• DuraheLLDuraheLL Member Posts: 2,951

nonononono oh good. Don't start involving that old fool into the game-making. If they let him decide too much I sence huge failure. Yes the man made Star Wars but as I see it it's just a coincidence really since all the man has done after the success is going back and ruining what's been so good with the original concepts. Lucky they are so good they still stand after the cave-in's he's been making

$OE lies list
    http://www.rlmmo.com/viewtopic.php?t=424&start=0
    "
    And I don't want to hear anything about "I don't believe in vampires" because *I* don't believe in vampires, but I believe in my own two eyes, and what *I* saw is ******* vampires! "

• clint3164clint3164 Member UncommonPosts: 58
    Originally posted by DeaconX

... his son likes to play MMO games, including Star Wars Galaxies. Continued support for the title is assured: "We have many other features planned to support Star Wars Galaxies," Nichols revealed. "We see no reason why the two games can't exist together."

Wow,  I knew that george didn't play SWG but his son must be an idiot if he actually likes that junk. I can think of one good reason that these two games can't exist together: SWG is dead. I think most of the dozens of players still playing SWG will leave when SWTOR goes live because everyone will be playing SWTOR and SWG would even be a lousy single player game.

• dalevi1dalevi1 Member Posts: 829

George Lucas is apparently throwing his full weight behind Star Wars: The Old Republic, although producer Tom Nichols does admit to Eurogamer.net that the old-time filmmaker isn't a fan of MMO titles. Apparently, he hasn't played World of Warcraft.
    LucasArts' Nichols reportedly demonstrated the game to Lucas last week, revealing that "they showed him the art style of the game, we talked about how story is communicated and showed him some examples of that."
    Lucas is excited, and recognises the importance of Stars Wars heading back into "the MMO space," while his son likes to play MMO games, including Star Wars Galaxies. Continued support for the title is assured: "We have many other features planned to support Star Wars Galaxies," Nichols revealed. "We see no reason why the two games can't exist together."

This is the same guy (Lucas) who backed Jar-Jar Binks. I don't think his opinion is worth what it once was...

Played (more than a month): SWG, Second Life, Tabula Rasa, Lineage 2, Everquest 2, EvE, MxO, Ryzom.

Tried: WoW, Shadowbane, Anarchy Online, Everquest, WWII Online, Planetside

Beta: Lotro, Tabula Rasa, WAR.

• SignusMSignusM Member Posts: 2,225
    Originally posted by DuraheLL

nonononono oh good. Don't start involving that old fool into the game-making. If they let him decide too much I sence huge failure. Yes the man made Star Wars but as I see it it's just a coincidence really since all the man has done after the success is going back and ruining what's been so good with the original concepts. Lucky they are so good they still stand after the cave-in's he's been making

Lucas has been making games for ages, he's been behind some of the greatest games to ever hit the market.... what a noob. 

• ArndurArndur Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,202
    Originally posted by clint3164

... his son likes to play MMO games, including Star Wars Galaxies. Continued support for the title is assured: "We have many other features planned to support Star Wars Galaxies," Nichols revealed. "We see no reason why the two games can't exist together."

Wow,  I knew that george didn't play SWG but his son must be an idiot if he actually likes that junk. I can think of one good reason that these two games can't exist together: SWG is dead. I think most of the dozens of players still playing SWG will leave when SWTOR goes live because everyone will be playing SWTOR and SWG would even be a lousy single player game.

He said likes to play mmos not just swg. some people play SWG becuase....... well.... its SW.

Hold on Snow Leopard, imma let you finish, but Windows had one of the best operating systems of all time.

If the Powerball lottery was like Lotro, nobody would win for 2 years, and then everyone in Nebraska would win on the same day.
    And then Nebraska would get nerfed.-pinkwood lotro fourms

AMD 4800 2.4ghz-3GB RAM 533mhz-EVGA 9500GT 512mb-320gb HD

• DyrttDyrtt Member Posts: 422

I'm reminded of when G. W. came out and backed McCain.  There are some endorsements that you just don't want.

• UntamoUntamo Member Posts: 1
    Originally posted by SignusM

Originally posted by DuraheLL

Lucas has been making games for ages, he's been behind some of the greatest games to ever hit the market.... what a noob. 

Lucas has never designed a single game in his life, he's just produced them. I doubt he knows anything about making games. He has produced some of the greatest games ever but I doubt he did anything else other than financed them.

• metalhead980metalhead980 Member Posts: 2,658

This guy created the SW universe, why wouldn't you want him backing a project?

Just by creating the the first three SW movies this dude has God status, he could do what he wants.

PLaying: EvE, Ryzom

Waiting For: Earthrise, Perpetuum

Originally posted by Dyrtt

I'm reminded of when G. W. came out and backed McCain.  There are some endorsements that you just don't want.

Again I say, George Lucas, founder of LUCAS ARTS, has produced smash hit games. But I guess just as with Bush, its just "cool" to hate Lucas nowadays. 

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by dalevi1

This is the same guy (Lucas) who backed Jar-Jar Binks. I don't think his opinion is worth what it once was...

Not to mention what he and Spielberg did to Indy

He do however have made a lot of great movies once, still I get nervous of news like this,,,

Originally posted by Loke666

He do however have made a lot of great movies once, still I get nervous of news like this,,,

Obviously you kids never played Monkey Island, or any of the other Lucas Arts games. 

• MidnitteMidnitte Member Posts: 510

Originally posted by Loke666

Obviously you kids never played Monkey Island, or any of the other Lucas Arts games. 

Or Star Wars Galaxies... oh wait.

Hopefully the game will receive some major backing and actually have the chance of being innovated and not repetitive.

• whistlinjoe2whistlinjoe2 Member Posts: 70

Again I say, George Lucas, founder of LUCAS ARTS, has produced smash hit games. But I guess just as with Bush, its just "cool" to hate Lucas nowadays. 

I agree Signus.  It is extremely trendy to be a whiney little brat about pretty much everything these days.  I blame Al Gore.  He invented this cesspool.

If it has Lucas' name attached to it, it's gonna get whined about.  Never mind the fact that he like...created the freakin thing.  What a hack!  JR Tolkein got out while the gettin was good.

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574

I'm not a big fan of the new Star Wars movies.  I bet  there were a lot of people who were not big fans of the original when it came out.  I have a lot of respect for the man as he made a lot of the movies I enjoyed as a kid and still enjoy as an adult.  Some of the movies I never saw until I was older like American Graffiti.  His new movies are a big success so someone out there is enjoying them even if it's not me.  People change over the course of their lives and Obviously he interest in the type of stories he likes to make have changed.  In the end no opinion really matters but your own.  In the end everyone has their own opinion.

• kobie173kobie173 Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

I'd like to go on record as saying I could stand Bush back when he owned the Texas Rangers.

So I started to walk into the water. I won't lie to you boys...I was terrified. But I pressed on, and as I made my way past the breakers, a strange calm came over me. I don't know if it was divine intervention or the kinship of all living things, but I tell you, Jerry, at that moment ... I was a marine biologist.

• GetalifeGetalife Member CommonPosts: 786

You guys talking crap about George Lucas are not even worth his toe nail. This guy created Star wars. He owns it and can do whatever he wants. If it was'nt for him you would have no such thing as Star Wars.

And no he didn't go back and ruined anything. he is a story teller. All he did was gave a start and finish to his story. And all you do is bitch and moan.

• WharmasterWharmaster Member Posts: 234

meh...maybe the Ole' Man's influence will make the game more like Star Wars, and less like WoW Wars.

We can only hope.

I remember back in 1999, folks kept asking me if I was stockpiling food. I always answered, "No, I'm stockpiling ammo and making a list of people who are stockpiling food"

• ArcAngel3ArcAngel3 Member Posts: 2,931

Lol I like George.  His story-telling has given me decades of enjoyment, and now my kids are enjoying the clone wars t.v. show :).  Also, Jar Jar makes my little girl laugh.  That makes it all worthwhile for me right there -_^.

• LesrachLesrach Member UncommonPosts: 112

"Apparently, he hasn't played World of Warcraft."

He has been grinding his own life.

He hasn't had time for MMORPG escapism.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

Isn't this a bit strange to post? I mean why wouldn't he back the new MMO when he stands to gain alot of money from it should it be successfull?

• RageaholRageahol Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

to be honest IF THERE IS ANYTHING LUCAS SHOULD BE DOING RIGHT NOW IS FILMING THE LAST THREE MOVIES

• xbellx777xbellx777 Member Posts: 716
    Originally posted by needalife214

to be honest IF THERE IS ANYTHING LUCAS SHOULD BE DOING RIGHT NOW IS FILMING THE LAST THREE MOVIES

truth

• EATtheDEADEATtheDEAD Member Posts: 207

I think Lucas is fantastic. I disagree with some of the shit he put into star wars but still all in all he is truely a visionary.

I fuckin hate jar jar binks though, wtf is that all about. and Darth Maul shouldn't of died so easily, with all the training he went through christ he should of pwned obi wan's dumbass

--------------------------------------
    Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The force shall free me.
    -the Sith code

• DuraheLLDuraheLL Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by EATtheDEAD

I think Lucas is fantastic. I disagree with some of the shit he put into star wars but still all in all he is truely a visionary.
    I fuckin hate jar jar binks though, wtf is that all about. and Darth Maul shouldn't of died so easily, with all the training he went through christ he should of pwned obi wan's dumbass

Hahaha yea. And all the crap about "who shot first?" with Han Solo. What a dumbass feeling the need to go in and change that whole scene

$OE lies list
    http://www.rlmmo.com/viewtopic.php?t=424&start=0
    "
    And I don't want to hear anything about "I don't believe in vampires" because *I* don't believe in vampires, but I believe in my own two eyes, and what *I* saw is ******* vampires! "

• FE|TachyonFE|Tachyon Member UncommonPosts: 652

Ok,  Whoever would be nieve enough to knock Lucas your an idiot.  The man is great at what he does, and has a lot of money.   Sounds like the kind of guy I want backing me in whatever I do.  Just because he backs something doesn't mean hes going to be doing ANYTHING with creating a game.  Hell if they let him write some of the quests, or lore,  I think the entire community would benifit from that.