Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Old Republic "MSORPG"?

First massively solo-player online role playing game? If so why the hell would i want it? I have KotOR 1 and 2 sitting right here beside me, and i don't have to pay another red cent to play them.

Comments

• singsofdeathsingsofdeath Member UncommonPosts: 1,812
    Originally posted by ViewDoo

First massively solo-player online role playing game? If so why the hell would i want it? I have KotOR 1 and 2 sitting right here beside me, and i don't have to pay another red cent to play them.

This is getting massively repetetive.

Try posting in one of the threads already available on this topic...or read the information provided more thoroughly instead of making inaccurate claims without any substance, why don't you?

• LocklainLocklain Member Posts: 2,154

Solo and online play pretty much cancel each other out.  When the time comes that an entire MMO is soloable (right down to endgame) I will be done.

It's a Jeep thing. . .
    _______
    |___image|
    \_______/
    = image||||||image =
    |X| \*........*/ |X|
    |X|_________|X|
    You wouldn't understand
  • _Shadowmage_Shadowmage Member Posts: 1,459

Because in an interview just out - they say its the equivalent of Kotor 3 to 8.

Principal Lead Writer Daniel Ericson estimates that The Old Republic will have more quest content at launch than every BioWare RPG to date, combined. That list includes Baldur’s Gate (and its Tales of the Sword Coast expansion), Baldur’s Gate II: Shadows of Amn (and its Throne of Bhaal expansion), Neverwinter Nights (and its three expansions), KOTOR, Jade Empire, and Mass Effect.

Although based on that quote its more like Kotor 3 to 12.
  • talismen351talismen351 Member Posts: 1,124

Simple solution here....ya don't want it? Don't buy it...you won't be missed I am sure. N I doubt LA or Bioware will really care either way. You don't know enouph about the game, you haven't done all the quests, as a matter of fact I bet you haven't even stepped into the game world yet! 

Stop beating a topic about something you know little about...put your time into following a game you enjoy, or think you will enjoy.

• demalusdemalus Member Posts: 401

I love how when anything negative is said about this game, the person saying it doesn't know anything about the game, yet the opposite is true whenever anyone says something positive about it.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Some things sounded like it, but then, we know really littlle about the games facts. There has been much talked about the game, but little has been said, so far, so we gonna have to see. I hope they have a strong social aspect, tho.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Originally posted by Elikal

Some things sounded like it, but then, we know really littlle about the games facts. There has been much talked about the game, but little has been said, so far, so we gonna have to see. I hope they have a strong social aspect, tho.

Well, it's either that everyone should neither bash nor praise this game, or the opposite.  If someone is going to praise it for the things BioWare has said about it, yet bash people for bashing it for the same reasons, it just seems wrong.

Personally, I think the argument that there isn't enough information out, so we should hold our judgment is flawed.  A fully-fledged feature list is NOT what truly makes a game.  At the game's core is the very philosophy which drives it.  So far, I think BioWare has said far more than enough to explain this philosophy.  No amount of content or features can fix a broken philosophy (I'm not saying TOR has a broken philosophy, just stating that you can't fix the core of the game by adding features or doing bug-fixes).

The philosophy for this game is that it is KOTOR with multiplayer elements, as opposed to an MMORPG with a KOTOR story.  In my opinion, the OP is correct in stating this is an "MSORPG" (based upon what BioWare has stated - their vision for the game).  There is no doubt that the story in this game will be absolutely fantastic.  It will be fantastic as a single-player game though.  The people who are upset with this game are upset that it isn't emphasizing the "MMO" portion, not the game itself.

• BCuseBCuse Member Posts: 140

i myself would like more information before i make judgements, but i understand your thinking thus far.

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133
    Originally posted by demalus

Originally posted by Elikal

Well, it's either that everyone should neither bash nor praise this game, or the opposite.  If someone is going to praise it for the things BioWare has said about it, yet bash people for bashing it for the same reasons, it just seems wrong.

Personally, I think the argument that there isn't enough information out, so we should hold our judgment is flawed.  A fully-fledged feature list is NOT what truly makes a game.  At the game's core is the very philosophy which drives it.  So far, I think BioWare has said far more than enough to explain this philosophy.  No amount of content or features can fix a broken philosophy (I'm not saying TOR has a broken philosophy, just stating that you can't fix the core of the game by adding features or doing bug-fixes).

The philosophy for this game is that it is KOTOR with multiplayer elements, as opposed to an MMORPG with a KOTOR story.  In my opinion, the OP is correct in stating this is an "MSORPG" (based upon what BioWare has stated - their vision for the game).  There is no doubt that the story in this game will be absolutely fantastic.  It will be fantastic as a single-player game though.  The people who are upset with this game are upset that it isn't emphasizing the "MMO" portion, not the game itself.

Very well stated. You can look at the interviews so far and through the words the developers have been using you can get a fairly good idea of that philosophy. I have to agree that it is indeed as you state. Now, I'm going to stick around until launch because, well, things can change. I don't expect them too but who knows.

If they do change I want to be around to see what those changes are and if they make this game more appealing to me. If not then I won't have missed anything.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• DuraheLLDuraheLL Member Posts: 2,951

First massively solo-player online role playing game? If so why the hell would i want it?

QQ. If you havent played/tried it don't start assuming stuff :P Ignorant

$OE lies list
    http://www.rlmmo.com/viewtopic.php?t=424&start=0
    "
    And I don't want to hear anything about "I don't believe in vampires" because *I* don't believe in vampires, but I believe in my own two eyes, and what *I* saw is ******* vampires! "

Originally posted by DuraheLL

First massively solo-player online role playing game? If so why the hell would i want it?

QQ. If you havent played/tried it don't start assuming stuff :P Ignorant

This was exactly the kind of post I was talking about in my post.  How can you call him ignorant?  You must know that he is ignorant to call him that, so why don't you enlighten him - give him the information he is lacking?

• DuraheLLDuraheLL Member Posts: 2,951

This was exactly the kind of post I was talking about in my post.  How can you call him ignorant?  You must know that he is ignorant to call him that, so why don't you enlighten him - give him the information he is lacking?

I thought I explained what I said well enough? If he has not tried the game to fully acknowledge he does like/dislike it he should not start assuming stuff. That is ignorant.

$OE lies list
    http://www.rlmmo.com/viewtopic.php?t=424&start=0
    "
    And I don't want to hear anything about "I don't believe in vampires" because *I* don't believe in vampires, but I believe in my own two eyes, and what *I* saw is ******* vampires! "

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Khalathwyr
    Very well stated. You can look at the interviews so far and through the words the developers have been using you can get a fairly good idea of that philosophy. I have to agree that it is indeed as you state. Now, I'm going to stick around until launch because, well, things can change. I don't expect them too but who knows.
    If they do change I want to be around to see what those changes are and if they make this game more appealing to me. If not then I won't have missed anything.

It can well be that this game aims at solo MMORPG players, but there is a lot of those out here and they need to play games too. On the other hand, most of the big games can already be soloed today, if they just kick in enough of group action it shouldn't be a problem.

Very few games demands you to actually have a group to reach max level today, well there is DDO and a few others but most games are soloable until you start the endgame.

Personally, I couldn't care more as long as the groupings are good.  And the game is still early in development, we have no real clue how it will end up. And even if it get's to solo friendly for you, Bioware still do have many ideas that are good for the genre in itself.

• singsofdeathsingsofdeath Member UncommonPosts: 1,812

All right....let me see if I understand this correctly.

They have stated that most (not all) of the game content will be soloable. This is a pretty normal thing in modern days MMO's. The fact of the matter is that you -can- do most things solo, but most of us don't because it's more fun to run with friends.

If they would say that most of the game MUST be soloed, then I would worry about things. Then I would give these worries credit. As it stands though, this sounds exactly like any other MMO on the market right now, giving soloers the ability to progress (but not experience everything) and making everything accessible to groups, reserving the top content for groups only.

I don't know how that makes the game a Singleplayer-game in any way.

Originally posted by Loke666

Originally posted by Khalathwyr

It can well be that this game aims at solo MMORPG players, but there is a lot of those out here and they need to play games too. On the other hand, most of the big games can already be soloed today, if they just kick in enough of group action it shouldn't be a problem.

Very few games demands you to actually have a group to reach max level today, well there is DDO and a few others but most games are soloable until you start the endgame.

Personally, I couldn't care more as long as the groupings are good.  And the game is still early in development, we have no real clue how it will end up. And even if it get's to solo friendly for you, Bioware still do have many ideas that are good for the genre in itself.

I could honestly care less about soloability. That wasn't my point at all. Heck, I'd dare say I solo 80% of the time (post WoW era) because it's hard to find people these days who like to group in the manner we did with the "first generation" MMOs. Now it's all about silently grinding out quests and tossing out a "Thx for grp" once you get your few quests done. Mind you, I'm not looking for a tea time social, but sheesh, part of playing an MMO is meeting new people, right? Well, at least it was back during UO, EQ and AC days.

No, as I said I can go either way: Solo heavy, group heavy, even mix. My concern is that this game will be and Story/Quest grind with little in the mode of crafting, housing, space travel and other social aspects. Pretty much putting as much effort into those as Funcom did with AoC or Mythic did with WAR. Which was basically nothing. Games that don't develope those aspects in a meaningful, robust way are suffering. You have to give players more than just Story and combat as reasons to stick around. But companies aren't doing that and games are closing down or shooting way low on subscriptions.

Either way, I'm not a kicker and screamer. If Bioware under developes those aspects I mentioned above I just won't play. To me the game would in essence be the NGE game that Lucas Arts always wanted. Which again is fine, just not something I would want to play.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

I thought I explained what I said well enough? If he has not tried the game to fully acknowledge he does like/dislike it he should not start assuming stuff. That is ignorant.

This is also what I was talking about.  Just because the game isn't out, it doesn't mean that we know absolutely nothing about it...

This is also what I was talking about.  Just because the game isn't out, it doesn't mean that we know absolutely nothing about it...

Yep. You can look at how the devs are talking about what information they have talked about so far and compare that to things said by, for instance, the Funcom and Mythic Devs and (and heck, some of the things the NGE and post NGE devs for SWG as well) and get an idea of which direction they are looking. Admittedly, yes, things can change. But they do stand where they stand for right now.

Chavez y Chavez

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726

It will be a MMO like any other.  Every MMO made in the last 4 years has soloable content, that does not make them single player.  I'm not sure where people are getting this "single-player game" stuff from.  I have not seen any info on single-player game regarding SWTOR. 

Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666

Scenario: Hey, can i join your group? No noob. I'm level 50 and you are level 20. Get out.

Hey, we have the same level. Can i join your group? No. Why? Because when i solo, i get more levels. I will add you as a friend and when il need you, il call you.

Hi, i'm new in the guild. Can one of you help me get some level by doing quests or dungeons please? Sorry new guy. we need to make economy to buy our new weapon, armor or trading items. We will help you 2morrow. (2morrow) Hey, you promess that you will help me today. Sorry, we are doing a raid. Maybe next time.

(newguy) Forget it. I hate starwars kotor because no one want to help me. If i knew i would play solo, i would rather buy star wars kotor 1,2,3. I dont want to play this game anymore because playing alone in a mmorpg is boring as hell.

Or, so i have no choice. I have to get to the cap level alone and the high level from my guild will invite me to do some BG's and raids. I just neeed 3 months and its good.

This is my experience from wow and i quit at level 55.

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

• DouhkDouhk Member Posts: 1,019

I think people are forgetting GWs, which is basically the same thing you mention (though it doesn't call itself a solo online game). The entire game is soloable and is actually encouraged that you play the PvE campaigns solo throughout the majority.

GWs and each of it's campaigns are very fun, and I'd say they were worth the money. However, I would not want to play a MSORPG if it came with a monthly fee, and GWs doesn't, so I can live with it. It really is a completely different type of game, and if SWTOR is like GWs in the sense of MSORPG, I won't be playing it if I need a subscription to do so. Then again, I have high doubts that SWs will go this route anyhow. Chances are it will go the typical MMORPG route, in the sense of being multiplayer and the sense of being a different WoW skin in almost every retrospect.

image If only SW:TOR could be this epic...

• efefiaefefia Member Posts: 631

I love how when anything negative is said about this game, the person saying it doesn't know anything about the game, yet the opposite is true whenever anyone says something positive about it.

Doubters and fanbois have one thing in common, neither of them know jack shit. No-one knows a damn thing about the game right now, take the middle ground, it's the sensible option

...The spread of secondary and latterly of tertiary education has created a large population of people, often with well developed literary and scholarly tastes, who have been educated far beyond their capacity to undertake analytical thought.

• raizenlolraizenlol Member Posts: 25

go play kotor 1 and 2 before posting otherwise you = fail and this game will not be swg or anything at all similar whatsoever and those saying we dont know anything about the game they have said its going to be as much as possible alike as the other kotor games so we know pretty much what it will be like i bet half the people posting here havent even heard of the other kotor games no doubt

• gamedevergamedever Member Posts: 143

I beleive it can work in that the NPCs are the fillers. Let's say, hypotethetically, that the engine they've developed is speedy enough to draw more than 10 animated characters in the scene in real time.

3 of those 10 are players, the rest are NPCs. As long as the engine does not choke the NPCs could make empty cities look like full cities. What is Coruscant without its bustling traffic?

Add on top of that that these NPCs are the type of interactive NPCs seen in other Bioware products and they now have a use besides filler. A simulated character ala The Sims.

That MAY help add to the feel of Star Wars being so populated. If you go to Coruscant or taris, those cities were bustling full of people, droids, aliens, traffic, etc. With an MMO that can be applied 10 fold.

So, I see a way it can hypothetically work.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Because it would be NEW stories, and new chars and new gameplay .. i.e. new CONTENT.

• HaukenHauken Member UncommonPosts: 649

Im not ganna play this if its gonna be a linear story game that forces me around the galaxy.  I dont like the idea of this companion idea. Seems to me they are making a game heavy with instances and heavy on solo play. Thats just not my idea of fun in a MMO.

I know they are not making a sandbox, but some freedom i must have. And this just not seem to be it.

Hauken Stormchaser
    I want pre-CU back
    Station.com : We got your game
    Yeah?, Well i want it back!!!