Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fallout 3 is a fucking brilliant game...

Comments

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

Since it is a fps, you should probably go to a board that discusses such.  You will just get ridiculed on this board, shooters are not a high priority item for MMO players.

So all games that involve guns are FPS games?, to me not, Cod:WaW is a FPS to me, Fallout is a action-RPG. Another example The Witcher, which is also to me a different type of RPG then compared with Fallout.

But then again I consider Farcry2 more of a action-Sim then a FPS game

But, a person can play a game like Fallout like a FPS and ignore all the rpg that is going on in the game.

But indeed the topic should be moved, but only because it's not a discussion about a MMORPG.

• AramanuAramanu Member Posts: 157

Fallout 3 = Oblivion with guns.

Don't get me wrong it's a greeat game, but has some heavy flaws.

IMO bethuseda need several more games before this FPS-RPG concept of there's starts to truly shine.

and no i don't mean graphiclly, i mean AI wise.

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

the game is friggen great right up to the end.

The ending, sucked, and doesnt allow for further gameplay like oblivion

• SteelroseSteelrose Member UncommonPosts: 215

Reklaw you don't understand what is FPS then. FPS is a first person shooter. It doesn't matter if you have items there with bonuses to speech or a few levels with some stats. The main core of the game is to move around and shoot/kill things in first person perspective. F3 is not RPG, it's not action RPG, it's pure FPS.

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762

I think it's "touching" that so many defend the games they love with so much passion one would think they had a financial stake in them. But I do think F3 is a good game, though not a good sequel to the Fallout series since it completely lacks the charm, humor and feel of the original games. Taken on its own as a post apocalyptic fps/rpg, then yes, it's good fun.

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by Steelrose

Reklaw you don't understand what is FPS then. FPS is a first person shooter. It doesn't matter if you have items there with bonuses to speech or a few levels with some stats. The main core of the game is to move around and shoot/kill things in first person perspective. F3 is not RPG, it's not action RPG, it's pure FPS.

You are right I don't know what "YOUR" FPS is, neither do the following websites  as they are ALL wrong in your opinion I geuss.

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/fallout-3/924348p1.html 

http://pc.ign.com/articles/924/924346p1.html

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/fallout/review.html

http://www.yougamers.com/reviews/21456_fallout_3/

http://www.g4tv.com/xplay/reviews/1856/Fallout_3.html

http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/review/R13666.html

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/fallout3

Sorry man don't get me wrong but I simply would not like to go back to the old isometric perspective of a gameworld, already when playing games that way I was hoping for one day the same type of games could be viewed in FP view, which still does not make it a FPS game but merly a game viewed in First Person view. To me a game is so much more immersive then seeing a topview of things, but still Fallout is not a FPS game in regard what FPS means within the gaming industry.

• WharmasterWharmaster Member Posts: 234

well, I see this place hasn't changed at all since I've been gone.

FO3 is a masterpiece...plain and simple. The ONLY thing it's missing is a proper SDK, ala TES3/4 when released.

Simply because, the game isn't big enough....even though I've been playing obsessively since release...and still havn't seen everything. 

And I've been a follower of the series since Wasteland, back on the C64. 

MMORPGs WISH they could be this cool.....except of course they all just want to be another fucking WoW clone, so they never achieve anything near this quality.

We'll see if the FO MMO actually happens or not....not holding my breath though.

I remember back in 1999, folks kept asking me if I was stockpiling food. I always answered, "No, I'm stockpiling ammo and making a list of people who are stockpiling food"

Originally posted by Reklaw

You are right I don't know what "YOUR" FPS is, neither do the following websites  as they are ALL wrong in your opinion I geuss.

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/fallout-3/924348p1.html 

http://pc.ign.com/articles/924/924346p1.html

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/fallout/review.html

http://www.yougamers.com/reviews/21456_fallout_3/

http://www.g4tv.com/xplay/reviews/1856/Fallout_3.html

http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/review/R13666.html

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/fallout3

Are you kidding right? Please give me your defintion and not a definition of some kids writing "reviews". I don't care how much publicity did Bathesda payed to make them call Fallout an RPG. Just read a basic definition of what is FPS.

• MrListerSirMrListerSir Member Posts: 99

Haha, excellent logic. So Oblivion is an FPS too then?

Get your head out of your ass.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I can see your epitaph now, on the day you expire. It will read "Wasted Potential".
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• youngkgyoungkg Member UncommonPosts: 357

This game catches hell cause of the system req's but hands down goty and on par if not a bit better than oblivion.

Its still an rpg and il bet the house that if Bethseda decides to go the mmo route like bioware Fallout 3 would be the ip they choose and the potential would be insane...

I just wish they'd let me hit a pile WoW retail boxes with a Fatman.

• twitch242twitch242 Member UncommonPosts: 177
    Originally posted by MrListerSir

Nah it aint FPS, but it sure aint RPG either, unless you get all knowledge from pixie books. FO3 aint as bad as i thought, but its extremely crappy as a RPG and it sure aint a Fallout game. Its an braindead console game that caters to the stupid mainstream audience and linking to "reviews" from bribed kiddie "journalists" aint going to work either... unless you ARE the target audience and if thats the case, you got my sympathies.

Yes, there was like 20 page talk about it. I was stating Oblivion is FPS as well. Dialogues, a few stats (automated leveling) do not make a game RPG. If the game has first person perspective, and it has cursor aiming, its FPS.

• SharajatSharajat Member Posts: 926
    Originally posted by twitch242

Nah it aint FPS, but it sure aint RPG either, unless you get all knowledge from pixie books. FO3 aint as bad as i thought, but its extremely crappy as a RPG and it sure aint a Fallout game. Its an braindead console game that caters to the stupid mainstream audience and linking to "reviews" from bribed kiddie "journalists" aint going to work either... unless you ARE the target audience and if thats the case, you got my sympathies.

RPG = Role-playing game.  In terms of computer games, it means immersive plot, storylines, and a world where your actions have influence and change things.  Fallout 3 is most certainly an RPG, as is Oblivion. 

Now if you mean absurd stats-fest, where you have a zillion numbers and change them all, then no.  But by that standard, Alpha Centauri is an RPG. 

Sorry that you think that any game that was ever played by more than 10 people is 'mainstream' and thus obviously no good.  I know at mmorpg.com, the more successful a game is the worse it gets, so I guess we should just slide with the prevailing culture on this one. 

In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own.

-Thomas Jefferson

• IhmoteppIhmotepp Member Posts: 14,495

Fallout 3 is a sort of hybrid between FPS and RPG.

When you spot an enemy, you can press V on your keyboard. Then you get targets on the enemy to choose from, head, arm, leg, body, etc. Then you press E on your keyboard after you select your target, and the game does the rest, it calculates your percentage to hit, and whether or not you hit. No mouse controls needed by the player at all.

OR, instead of hitting V, you can just aim the mouse and fire away. But this doesn't work near as well as letting the computer do the targeting for you.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Originally posted by Larry2298

Fallout 3 is ok but the playing hours is just too short. The game gave me 3 days to mess around. 
    If you tried
    tgm >god mode
    nuke weapon > 0003e5e2
    nuke ammo > 00020799
    Then you will see there is nothing to play with.
    I think Neverwinter Night is better than Fallout 3.

You use god mode and then complain there isn't content?

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216

i thought of FO3 as a FPS RPG. Because it is a FPS and it is a RPG, its not just one pure fps or one pure rpg. IMO its a great game, i always hear everyone say "it has alot of flaws" but i never hear what those flaws are, and people who say it fail to list the flaws they were talking about.

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

• liamkincaidliamkincaid Member UncommonPosts: 27

love the game!

• ginettiginetti Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 301
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

Since it is a fps, you should probably go to a board that discusses such.  You will just get ridiculed on this board, shooters are not a high priority item for MMO players.

I don't mind being ridiculed, hey it's the internet, but thanks for the warning either way.

Besides, this game is not a FPS.  Yes you can play in first person, and yes you can shoot guns, but that to me does not make it a FPS.  To me this is a RPG, and while not MMO, it still is something i'm enjoying so much i decided to let everyone here know.

Some of you on this board need to loosen your ass holes and relax, smile and celebrate good gaming.

I agree probably not the right board to put it in but so what, remember life is short, fill the time you have with fun and enjoyment.

----
    MMORPG's I've Played: World of Warcraft: 10/10 - Rappelz: 7/10 - Ragnarok Online: 8/10 - DnD Online: 2/10 - Runescape: 6/10 - LotR Online: 5/10 - Anarchy Online: 7/10 - CoV: 8/10 - Rohan Online: 8/10 - Guild Wars: 7/10 - Flyff: 8/10 - Warhammer Online: 8/10

My HARDCORE Story

Also to anyone arguing over FPS vs RPG... consider this.

In a traditional RPG game, say you choose a Wizard type, ok time to attack an enemy.

You choose which spell (power level, damage type, distance/range capabilities, cost to you in Magic points and other things)

In Fallout 3, you choose which weapon to use (melee, unarmed, or firearmes.  If firearms, you then decided which gun to use, as different guns have different capabilities such as range, ammo type, cost to you in ammo, handling costs, etc)

Yes it has guns and it can be played in First Person, but The game is a RPG game that has immersed me in a friggin' brilliant world and setting, where i care about the characters i'm around.  I WANT to help people i meet, and i will do so how i choose.  There are some people i do not like and will seek to harm them.

The decisions i make impact on the world and thus on myself.

This game is a RPG, get your head out of it.

It can be played in first person view, and you can shoot, so yes its a First Person Shooter,

But RPG and FPS alone do not define this game, this game is an experience.

God dammit, can't even report on these boards about a good game without someone somewhere starting a pointless argument over it.

----
    MMORPG's I've Played: World of Warcraft: 10/10 - Rappelz: 7/10 - Ragnarok Online: 8/10 - DnD Online: 2/10 - Runescape: 6/10 - LotR Online: 5/10 - Anarchy Online: 7/10 - CoV: 8/10 - Rohan Online: 8/10 - Guild Wars: 7/10 - Flyff: 8/10 - Warhammer Online: 8/10

My HARDCORE Story

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988
    Originally posted by Ihmotepp

Originally posted by Wolfenpride

You know its a shame MMO's these days can't create an immersive atmosphere and world like Fallout 3 did, or even Oblivion.

I'm listening to the NPC dialog, and completing quests, and looking at my stats and where to spend points, scrolling through my gear to decide what to keep and what to ditch. Why would I want to do that with other players?

Are you going to wait on me while I read NPC dialog, and scroll through all the options for 10 minutes?

Fallout 3 or Oblivion are kind of like interactive books. Do you ever read a book with someone else at the same time? It's kinda hard.

You already do that with other players in mmo's don't you? You browse through your stats, deciding what you think you should raise and such, you read through quest dialog all the time, well usually just click accept and don't read it, but its there. And you do plenty of quests, so I don't see how thats a problem personally.

Again, mmo's already have npc dialog in them, EQ2 even had voice overs for it, so its not hard to implement, and it works perfectly fine.

So again I ask, why can't mmo's create an immersive world like Fallout 3 has done so nearly perfectly?

Originally posted by ginetti

In a traditional RPG game, say you choose a Wizard type, ok time to attack an enemy.

You choose which spell (power level, damage type, distance/range capabilities, cost to you in Magic points and other things)

In Fallout 3, you choose which weapon to use (melee, unarmed, or firearmes.  If firearms, you then decided which gun to use, as different guns have different capabilities such as range, ammo type, cost to you in ammo, handling costs, etc)

Yes it has guns and it can be played in First Person, but The game is a RPG game that has immersed me in a friggin' brilliant world and setting, where i care about the characters i'm around.  I WANT to help people i meet, and i will do so how i choose.  There are some people i do not like and will seek to harm them.

It can be played in first person view, and you can shoot, so yes its a First Person Shooter,

God dammit, can't even report on these boards about a good game without someone somewhere starting a pointless argument over it.

Yep, doom 3 is a RPG. You can choose which weapon to use, each weapon has a different damage, range, bonus versus specific mobs etc. You have health and armor, ..

Impact on the world is a lie. It's not a RPG feature. Look at the RPG games that created the genre. Wizardry 1-8,  Eye of Beholder 1-3, PoR, ... there was no impact on anything. The point of RPG video game is to bring the tabletop pen and paper experience into your screen. Fallout 3? Did you ever play pen and paper RPG? Fallout 3 is a shooter, it's gameplay has nothing to do with pen and paper RPG, and nor does Oblivion.

Try Wizards and Warriors by W.Bradley someday. It's a bit dated, but it's as close to pen and paper gaming as video game could ever be.

Yep, doom 3 is a RPG. You can choose which weapon to use, each weapon has a different damage, range, bonus versus specific mobs etc. You have health and armor, ..

... mate, i played shadowrun the pen and paper rpg, that had guns.

Don't call out a single feature of a game and call it that.

Yes FO 3 has fps elements, it also has rpg elements.  I get better with guns the more skill i put into that area, or buff my stats that are appropriate to the type of gun i want to shoot better with.

Everyone can dance and sing as much as they want, to me, this is a brilliant RPG.

----

My HARDCORE Story

... mate, i played shadowrun the pen and paper rpg, that had guns.

Don't call out a single feature of a game and call it that.

Yes FO 3 has fps elements, it also has rpg elements.  I get better with guns the more skill i put into that area, or buff my stats that are appropriate to the type of gun i want to shoot better with.

Everyone can dance and sing as much as they want, to me, this is a brilliant RPG.

There is no such a thing as RPG features. There are RP games and FPS games. RPG has nothing to do with levels and some skills. You have levels and skills in Warcraft 3 or Tropico, but the main gameplay of these games are RTS or economical political simulation.

• konrad16660konrad16660 Member Posts: 182

Fallout 3 is a great game.  I bought it and I have played it a few times.  So far I destroyed Megaton and have attempted to beat most of the game without completing any other quests.  So far Beal from the Steel Legion seems to be unkillable.  He seems to fly into the bay when you take a kill shot on him.  However, I have been able to kill pretty much everyone else as of the moment.  The combat is fun and the game is well put together.  You really feel like you are in a desolate area that was affected from fallout.  Kill everyone!  hehe take care and I hope everyone else has as much fun with the game as I did.

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216

Impact on the world is a lie. It's not a RPG feature. Look at the RPG games that created the genre. Wizardry 1-8,  Eye of Beholder 1-3, PoR, ... there was no impact on anything. The point of RPG video game is to bring the tabletop pen and paper experience into your screen. Fallout 3? Did you ever play pen and paper RPG? Fallout 3 is a shooter, it's gameplay has nothing to do with pen and paper RPG, and nor does Oblivion.

Try Wizards and Warriors by W.Bradley someday. It's a bit dated, but it's as close to pen and paper gaming as video game could ever be.

its amazing how you call Doom 3 a RPG and Fallout 3 a Shooter. I think you got it backwards. Just because Fallout 3 isnt what you wanted it to be, doesnt mean you should rule out it isnt a RPG at all. And no RPGs are not meant to bring table top pen and paper expiriences to the screen, RPGs are meant for people to play a role of somebody in a fictional world to play out a certain storyline. Again, just because Fallout 3 isnt what you wanted it to be, doesnt mean it isnt a RPG.

Now either you can stay ignorant and plug your ears shouting Fallout 3 isnt a RPG, or you can look at it with an open mind and consider it.

And a quick question, have you played Fallout 3 all the way through? I mean have you atleast logged 2 - 5 hours in your saved game?

Also the fact that fallout 3 has VATS targeting shows that FO3 isnt a 100% shooter type game.

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -