Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Linux

Comments

• UbahNecroUbahNecro Member Posts: 185

Also, programming languages are all cross platform (except for Assembly languages which are processor-dependent). All you need is a suitable compiler or interpreter for the language (i.e. Borland ported their ObjectPascal/Delphi and C++ compilers to Linux).

Borland had to write an entirely different Library called the Component Library [for] Cross-Platform (CLX) when they developed Kylix, cause the VCL was too Win32 Dependent to port - it would have basically required them to rewrite large parts of it to take advantage of Linux Libraries.

They chose Qt, because it was Win32/Linux cross platform and the new Library [CLX] would facilitate single-source recompilation on both platforms regardless of which platform the application was developed on. If anyone using Delphi 6 (which included both VCL and CLX) used VCL to develop a new application, the applications would have to be rewritten to CLX for all the UI-related elements for it to be able to compiler for Linux, since VCL was a Win32-only framework.

I did Linux development (client-side) and know how hard it is to port applications between both especially when a GUI or system-level interface (as DirectX is) is involved. There are big issues that can stop other types of applications also. Note that PostgreSQL didn't have a Native Win32 version of their RDBMS until version 8 - until then it ran on top of the Cygwin Linux Emulation Layer (which you could somewhat equate to what WINE is on Linux for Windows applications).

Any game developer who wants their game to be cross platform will do the smart thing: use OpenGL for graphics rendering and use 3rd party [cross platform] solutions to fill in the gaps. It's dumb to have a game that is Linux-only since Linux's market share will not recoup the development costs of an MMO-type game. So you're pretty much doing ONLY Windows or BOTH Linux and Windows. Linux-Only is not a good business decision at this point in time for an MMO or pretty much any game that costs alot to develop.

Apple is also a UNIX-type OS (with different Libraries, they have Cocoa instead of Win32 :) ) and would be a better bet. Win32 + Apple > Win32 + Linux > Apple Only > Linux Only.

Can probably sell more games for a cell phone than for only Linux.

Anyawys I am going AWOL again from the forums as I am a bit busy :)

See you next month?

• PhilGamerPhilGamer Member Posts: 26

Jagged Alliance 2 is now playable in Linux as well, via the Stracciatella patch.  The v1.31 patch has been worked on for the last 4 years as well and makes the original JA2 incredible, improving on every aspect of the gameplay.  Look here for the full scoop.

Visit Philosophical Gamer, a website featuring old school games, obscure games, indie games, free games, and discussion of the culture of gaming. Come by and un-bored yourself.

Also check out the PhilosophicalGamer Obscure Games Download Page.

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    Originally posted by UbahNecro

100% wrong about what exactly?  You may be right that it's to difficult to make Directx available for other OS as it would cost Microsoft to much money, but you have also be wrong on some of the points you made.  It seems like you think you know a lot, but in actuality you know about as much as  I do.
    Do you work for Microsoft? I don't, I know for sure you don't. Cuase if you did, you'd know better. All I know is that you are wrong. Anything beyond that isn't really a factor in the context of what this discussion has become. If you are still trying to prove me wrong after having given you MUCH proof of how you are (and you have given me nothing?), I would have to say you are dumber than I had thought you were...
    My comment about ComSci I was a bit in jest, but also quite serious. Indeed, most people around here who go into Computer Science or related fields (Engineering, e.g.) do take several ComSci-related courses in High School. In other words, this know this shit before they graduate high school. 5 Computer Science courses in High School, Years of ComSci-related training in the Navy (alot of that Targetted at UNIX but also includes custom/embedded systems), and years of College later (I didn't graduate yet, but almost there!) - it would be a travesty to have your line of thinking after all I have learned.
    You are the type of programmer that cause start-ups to fail and go bankrupt. These ideas you have aren't realistic, that is the reason why they weren't implemented.
    Apart from the fact that it would be incredibly and exceedingly difficult to port DirectX to Linux/UNIX - those OSes have such non-factor Desktop Market-shares (speaking of computer desktop users, what gamers fall into) that it wouldn't be worth the investment anyways.
    Borland International, Inc. has two programming tools called Delphi and C++Builder. In 2001 they ported Delphi to Linux and named it Kylix. By the time 2003 came along the project was cancelled. They had to rewite their entire Visual Component Library for Linux to use Qt (CLX it was called there) and it was buggy. By that time both Delphi and C++Builder were ported to Linux. Part of the biggest issue, however, was the existence of 10-20 popular Linux distros in use which made it near impossible to support Linux as a host OS for a native application (Jave and web applications are fundamentally different).
    The entire VCL had to be REWRITTEN to be cross-platform because of the Win32 dependencies of it. They rewrote it to use Qt as an underlying graphics framework: CLX was only an abstraction of Qt which was only an abstraction of Win32/Xlib. This is only an application framework - nothing on the level of a system component like DirectX (so much of a system components that it can't even be uninstalled after you install it). Please do tell me how DirectX can be ported to Linux/UNIX more easily than Borland's VCL. Those are hundreds of thousands - millions (developers, licenses, marketing, support, etc.) of USD wasted in this product. Microsoft is not stupid - they tried it with Macintosh - an infinitely better Consumer OS than Linux, especially, now that it's a UNIX-type also with more marketshare. Good Luck.
    Reference: Borland sold the DevTools devision off: http://www.codegear.com for information on the projects they have that didn't fail horribly.
      Then you fling insults around at people like it's no big deal to do so.  I think if you take this attitude with you it's goign to be difficult finding a job in programming.
    Lol? Don't be stupid, and you won't be called out as stupid...
    Not may people know everything about how a computer works or how each programming langauge works or how each operating system works.
    No, I just know how the Operating Systems I have studied work. I administered a Unix network in the Navy (HP-UX). I know how UNIX works (and Linux also). Programming languages only differ in semantics and the scope of capabilities that their developers or standards committee wishes for them. We can get rid of programming languages and use 1's and 0's and what I said still makes sense as long as the Windows and UNIX/Linux platforms differ.
    This is not like porting something that was originally coded for Windows Vista to Windows XP (back porting), this is a cross platform port of a system component and it is difficult. It's like saying you can go recompile Windows a device drive on Linux - an ignorant statement to make, at best.
    In any case, this has very little to do with what the discussion was about. DirectX is not portable to Linux, and making it portable to Linux would require several extensive rewrites of it. The Linux and Windows driver models aren't even equivalent. Do you know what DirectX encompasses? It is only partly comparable to OpenGL (which is quite limited in scope, comparatively).
    Most people specialize in a certain aspect of it and these people are the ones likely to know the best answers.  Not us who are for the most part are guessing based on some general knowledge that we have gained through reading some programming books or taking some computer/programming classes. 
    Disagree. I am not guessing. I am telling you the facts. If that is the way you think about what you are saying, then you really don't have the right to post anything in this thread. At least have a little faith in what you're telling people. Know what you're talking about, or shut the hell up.
    Yes, there are Domain Specialties, but these concepts are domain-independent and do not require any experties (i.e. if you don't have a Ph.D. and are an expert in AI, STFU). Let's not go there.
    Lol. Pwn yourself some more, sir.

You are like a little child.  I don't understand you maturity level at all.  I'd say you clearly know more then I do about this reading your last post so you win.  Of course this all started with a simple discussion on weather or not .NET could be made available for Linux and then weather directx could be made available for Linux.  As you clearly state it can be done with a lot of work.  So I guess I wasn't completely off.  I also pointed out a few things you were incorrect on.  You also said to go read the wiki before posting.  I did and I brought up some points where I was correct and you were wrong even though you have a higher edjucation level then myself.  Of course the first thing you should learn in buisness is not to be rude to people no matter what you may think of them inside or you wont be getting any jobs.

• serjndestroyserjndestroy Member Posts: 69

This is why we can't have nice things. Instead of being constructive, we argue about pointless things, and nothing gets done...

Hail DnDOnlinegames!

• Salio69Salio69 Member CommonPosts: 428

thanks for all the great info and different points of view in this thread. my car broke down this weekend(i had alot of time), i tried out linux for the first time after years of all my friends telling me to try it out. i love it, but i wasnt to sure how it ran mmorpgs though, which is my 2nd main thing to do on pc after anime. after reading this thread, i'm just gonna go with duel boot, xp for mmos and linux for other stuff.  linux is great, if it was easier to install more mainstream programs without relying on WINE, it would  even better.

Wine really isn't such a big schlep to set up... And many mmo's that dont run on plain wine have linux launchers, which makes the process pretty easy on the user, so don't discard mmo compatibility on linux completely.  That being said, it would be very cool if more mmo's, if gaming in general see linux as a more viable platform, but yeah, I doubt that it'll happen if people keep on looking at open source in the current light.

Hail DnDOnlinegames!

• PhilGamerPhilGamer Member Posts: 26

They're making headway on making Warhammer WINE-compatible, apparently some people are able to play it now.  Basically any major MMOG that has a large population seems to end up becoming compatible eventually.  This would probably happen with any game whatsoever, it's just a matter of enough people wanting it to be compatible.  Some percentage of those people will work on making the game compatible, and when you have 600k+ people all wanting to play a game for months on end, eventually they find a way to make it run on Linux.

WoW takes a fair number of tweaks in WINE to get it running, but they found the ones that were needed to make it work.  I don't know what my point is really, but Linux is alot further along than it was even 2-3 years ago.

Visit Philosophical Gamer, a website featuring old school games, obscure games, indie games, free games, and discussion of the culture of gaming. Come by and un-bored yourself.

Also check out the PhilosophicalGamer Obscure Games Download Page.

• dajessedajesse Member Posts: 32

Isn't Linux a finnish product? ay, finally we did something STABLE ^^

Well, Linus Torvalds is Finnish, and he started the linux project, but it's development is spread across the world, so it may originate from Finland, but it isn't quite a Finnish project, any more than Ubuntu is a South African project.

Hail DnDOnlinegames!

• Wyatt7Wyatt7 Member Posts: 3

Hello,

Currently Regnum Online offers a 32bit and 64bits native linux client. I would recommend to all linux users to try this game out and give it a shot :).

The community for the game is very awesome as well.

Regards.

Wyatt

• OtoryShigeruOtoryShigeru Member Posts: 1

Time ago, i was able to perfectly run 12 Sky of Aeria Games on Ubuntu 8.04 using Wine.

A lot of windows games can work in Linux, just need Wine, Cedega, PlayOnLinux or CorssOver.

It would be great if the games developver makes the games also compatible with Linux.

PD: forgive my bad english, i am from venezuela, so i write better in spanish.

• Calind0rCalind0r Member Posts: 735

Lineage 2 has linux support, however Linux itself blocks gameguard which is detected as a rootkit, so you'll need the anti GG patch botters use to play.

I love Linux, especially FC9, but I wouldnt play games on it yet, especilly if I had a dual boot, the performance would be 30% lower, emulator or not.

• grimbojgrimboj Member Posts: 2,102

Wine supports DirectX 9.0c. WoW is very easy to configure under wine although it has some annoying bugs (like no map indoors and cursor lag). EVE works under wine but only the standard graphics version and it crashes a lot. You can get most big mmos working under wine with a bit of tweaking from looking at the wine support list.

--
    Note: PlayNC will refuse to allow you access to your account if you forget your password and can't provide a scanned image of the product key for the first product you purchased..... LOL

Supported doesn't mean they run well..like you said there are problems, and due to the nature of games and DLLs, games run slower. WoW is going to run slower on WINE than it would on Windows, even games like Doom 3 that are designed to run on Linux are still on average 30% slower than the same game on Windows Vista/XP.

• AndirAndir Member Posts: 232

Um, I'd agree with you that ported games will run slower... 30%?  doubt it.  Native games could actually run faster.  Some Wine games actually run faster.  I don't know where you get your information from, but I'd suggest looking elsewhere.

As for On-Topic conversation....

I see the OP hasn't been updated in some time.  Maybe the MMORPG crew know this and I asked it in the LFGame section... Will MMORPG.com be adding a Linux specific search criteria to the Games list?

There are countless linux benchmarks for games. Here's one from anandtech for Doom 3

www.anandtech.com/linux/showdoc.aspx

Sorry it was a 29% loss compared to Vista.

• AndirAndir Member Posts: 232
    Originally posted by Calind0r

There are countless linux benchmarks for games. Here's one from anandtech for Doom 3
    www.anandtech.com/linux/showdoc.aspx
    Sorry it was a 29% loss compared to Vista.

I can point to a benchmark myself:  www.phoronix.com/scan.php

It doesn't mean that everything performs the same.  You picked on one game.

• AthabaAthaba Member Posts: 48
    Originally posted by serjndestroy

Well, Linus Torvalds is Finnish, and he started the linux project, but it's development is spread across the world, so it may originate from Finland, but it isn't quite a Finnish project, any more than Ubuntu is a South African project.

That's not really corrext. It's true that Linux started Linux, but Linux is only a kernel. While this it is an integral part of the operating system GNU, which is what you are usually talking about, when you say Linux already existed, when Linux was born. It's called Linux, because the original Kernel for GNU named Hurd has a very slow development process. Linux is replacing it, that's why a lot of people say GNU/Linux.

It's a bit confusing, but in short: What you see is GNU.

A user (and even most developers) don't get it contact with Linux itself.

AFAIK GNU was born in the USA. GNU means Gnu is not Unix (it's a clone) and their goal was to make an open source operating system to change everything, if you want to. BSD (which IS a kind Unix) even existed before GNU and is also Open Source and is compatible with GNU/Linux (and GNU/Hurd).

So much about history. :)

• SecromSecrom Member Posts: 318

Originally posted by Cereberus

linux is great for everything apart from gaming and dont blame linux for that blame the devs who dont make the source for the game available too linux users
    No, blame the Linux users for thinking that the source of every company's income should be available freely to everyone else.

Games on Linux are bad. Driver support on Linux is bad. Running games in a VirtualBox Windows XP Session on Linux is very LOL...

[...]

Another problem with GNU/Linux is that kind of FUD... Thanks for the pages I had to skip.

Anyway back to topic:

Unigine, game engine under development  http://unigine.com/devlog/61/

Not sure yet what game they're going to build upon it though.

• findaratofindarato Member Posts: 74

linux is great for everything apart from gaming and dont blame linux for that blame the devs who dont make the source for the game available too linux users
    No, blame the Linux users for thinking that the source of every company's income should be available freely to everyone else.

Games on Linux are bad. Driver support on Linux is bad. Running games in a VirtualBox Windows XP Session on Linux is very LOL...

[...]

I dont know where you get your information, Driver support is fine. Both major video card companies have native Linux drivers. There are plenty of closed source apps for linux, we have a few running at work.  Just because everything should be open source doesn't mean that they have to. 

If FOSS was the only thing keeping games off Linux that is really sad.  Its a good platform for anything.  If you haven't tried it lately you really should. www.ubuntu.com/ fedoraproject.org/  Those are my 2 favorite blends.

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344
    Originally posted by faselei

I have just switched to Linux. I miss Civ4, and FreeCiv is hardly the same :P

I removed my last copy of Windows and went 100% linux about a month ago. I vowed to play only games that have Linux clients (native) and I refuse to use Wine or anything like it. I thought I would miss playing LOTRO, EVE, WAR, and Darkfall. Funny thing happened...I don't miss them at all. Not sure if that says something about me or the games, but...

I would have never discovered Savage 2 (found while searching for Linux games) and NWN plays wonderfully with the Linux binaries. In fact, many of the player-run multiplayer NWN modules are more MMO-like than the "big" commerical MMOs.

If these game companies decide to get serious and build Linux clients, I'll come back. Until then, I keep my $15 a month.

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344

SOME Linux users. There are those "fanatics" that think every software product on the planet should be free and open source, but that makes no sense. There is nothing wrong with making a living building software.

My problem is with the operating system. An OS should be part of a computer -- the computer cannot function without the OS. But you BUY a computer and LICENSE the OS. That's like buying a car and being told you only have a license to use the engine.

Software products, on the other hand, I like to think of as auto accessories -- you don't need them to operate the car, they are just nice to have. If you want something different (or better) you pay for it.

I recommend that everyone read Neal Stephenson's "In the Beginning Was the Command Line", especially the chapter "MGBs, Tanks, and Batmobiles". He makes the book available as a text file download from the Cryptonomicon website, www.cryptonomicon.com/beginning.html.

• mlauzonmlauzon Member UncommonPosts: 767

Originally posted by Mhaug
    I've just updated my PC to Opensuse 11.0 (an excellent OS) and with Virtualbox from  http://www.virtualbox.org  I'm running Windows XP for any of those games I can't be without but are troublesome on Linux. I've installed and am currently updating Lotro through the virtualbox/XP setup and it seems to be going well. I'll report back if I get any problems but for all intents and purposes I'm running the game on an XP machine, so it should just work.
    For those purist out there who balk at the idea of running Windows in any form, you are unfortunately left with the likes of Wine from  http://www.winehq.org, Cedega from http://www.transgaming.com or Crossover from http://www.codeweavers.com/products. Forgive me if I missed any. These solutions try to run the games without the need for a (true) windows instalation at all, while Virtualbox needs a fully licenced version of windows to be installed onto a virtaul PC. After that, it runs within Linux and at the very least removes the necessity to dual boot. Oh... and it's free! image
    I hope that helps a little.
    EDIT:
    Something I forgot to mention in the first instance is that you have to make sure that your graphics and sound systems are set up correctly before installing games into your virtual XP, otherwise they won't find the resources they're looking for.  I found a lot of help here... http://forums.virtualbox.org 
    Now I'm going back to getting beaten up by Wargs. image 

I have to say Cedga is the way to go, if the game doesn't work and you tell the developers then usually by the next release of Cedega the game will work.

--
    Michael

• GonesoloGonesolo City of Heroes CorrespondentMember Posts: 70

I use Cedega, WINE/Crossover Games, Virtuabox/VMware on my linux box.

Although I at first thought Cedega was really good, of recent I'm not so sure.

Many of the original issues I have with games are still there. Numerous games that will not even install with Cedega install and run fine with Crossover/WINE.

Still I suport any company trying to make gaming easier on Linux so I'm keeping my Cedega Sub open.

• lordbatlordbat Member Posts: 6

lol linux is big! but we want a really good friend interface for doomies!