Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GM: "Google is not Blizzard"...Discuss

So yesterday I ran into a bugged quest in WoW where the quest event wouldn't start.  I went ahead and petitioned a GM about it to see if they could reset the event.  After waiting 2 hours, a GM finally spoke to me and, as expected, asked if I was using any addons.  Because I'm a truthful person, I told him the addons I was using and told me to rename my addon and wtf folder...blah blah blah.  As I'm sure that wouldn't work, I described to him how the quest was bugged for everyone in my entire party and how a simple google search showed that this quest has a tendency to get bugged and require a GM reset.  Surprisingly enough, the GM broke from his scripted responses and started going on and on about how "Google is not Blizzard" and how Google couldn't possibly know how the game works or how to troubleshoot.  He said Google is great for finding stuff but if I want tech support then I should follow his instructions.  I respectfully told him to #%@* himself and made my way back to the quest giver WITH all my addons still enabled.  The quest was working now.  This just goes to show that Google provides better tech support than Blizzard can :P

Comments

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459

Did you also not prove that the quest was not in fact bugged or in need of GM intervention???

I have worked in IT support for many years and have to admit that there is nothing more of a pain than someone who thinks they know more than you do about something you do every day of your life. The guy was just doing his job and you refused to allow him to do it, what did you expect him to say?

If you had followed his instructions and then it was still an issue than i could see where you may have cause for complaint, but as it is you have proved nothing other than you are unwilling to follow the help that you actually petitioned for!

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

• PangaeaPangaea Member Posts: 434

Well I see both sides of this story.

Yes all 3rd party addons need to be disabled before any tech trouble shooting could be done.

BUT

what he was saying was very scripted. As in .. "wasn't using his mind"

• nightwing70nightwing70 Member Posts: 142

google owns all

• coffeecoffee Member Posts: 2,007

I work in an IT call centre.. nothing more annoying that a know it all "I am an IT engineer why do I have to do this", what they have to realise is we have a process to go through, we cannot skip steps. 

GM was just doing his job, following the process, be nice to our GM's its not often we see em

• PepsipwnzgodPepsipwnzgod Member Posts: 203

when you go into something with an attitude, expect a bad one in return, i suspect a little more to this story and possibly a bit of insulting pre his un scripted comments

-----------------------------
    IVE PLAYED WOW AND LIKED IT SO IM A FANBOI PLZ FLAME MY THREADS CUZ I MIGHT MENTION WOW

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Did you submit a problem or did you submit the solution.  I understand how testing tech support can be with all the procedures they ask users to go through, but it does solve most problems.  You seem to suffer the same issue people at my work have.  They diagnose their own problems and bring me solutions that often don't work or solve the problem.

It seems like your bugged quest wasn't bugged after all.

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582

Yeah, this happens all the time in medicine too.  Someone has something wrong, they go on a website and read the 'remedy' from someone else who had the same thing. Then they come to us and demand a certain medicine because of what someone posted on a website.  If you don't prescribe them exactly what they say they need, they call you a quack.

BTW.. OP.. you do realize that google doesn't have the information, they just link you to someone who thinks they have the right information.  For all you know, that person could be a 12 year old who takes the short bus to school.   Also, if you read a non-blizzard website, it means you more than likely followed that persons directions, which could be what ended up causing the real solution to not work.

There are people at Blizzard who sit there 8hrs a day fixing problems.  They have a huge database of information to go from.    Just because you read someone's comment on Wowhead doesn't mean you know more than Blizzard.

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005

That's how ALL tech support works really, its not like they have a choice, they are given this troubleshooting guide they have to follow, its like when your Internet is down and you call Virgin Media about it and the first thing they tell you is "turn off your modem and wait 30secs" and you do it but thinking "I have done this already and I know this is not gonna fix it the problem is on your end".

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459

Originally posted by rav3n2
    That's how ALL tech support works really, its not like they have a choice, they are given this troubleshooting guide they have to follow, its like when your Internet is down and you call Virgin Media about it and the first thing they tell you is "turn off your modem and wait 30secs" and you do it but thinking "I have done this already and I know this is not gonna fix it the problem is on your end".

This is the problem for tech support people though, they have all too often come across people that will say that they have done something and then find that after a lengthy troubleshooting session that they hadn't actually done the first step as they said they had.

Troubleshooting hardware, software, vacuum cleaners, washing machines, so on and so forth is all about eliminating what is not causing the problem so you are left with what 'is' causing the problem and you can only do that by following procedures.

In the words of Shelock Holmes, "Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005
    Originally posted by jason_webb

Originally posted by rav3n2

This is the problem for tech support people though, they have all too often come across people that will say that they have done something and then find that after a lengthy troubleshooting session that they hadn't actually done the first step as they said they had.

Troubleshooting hardware, software, vacuum cleaners, washing machines, so on and so forth is all about eliminating what is not causing the problem so you are left with what 'is' causing the problem and you can only do that by following procedures.

In the words of Shelock Holmes, "Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."

Yep you are correct I did not say it was wrong its just the way it is, as well as that they cant just leave their employees to act at will, there needs to be some kind of system that makes support equally effective.

There is also the fact that some of these people are in fact hired through a customer support company and are not players or people  with interest in the game  who directly applied for a GM position, and some of them know fuck all about the game and are simply given a booklet with troubleshooting procedures and responses.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,181

You know, back when I played WoW I had some bug hit my character that I thought in no way could be my addons. I did just like you did. Knowing a GM would tell me to disable addons first, but sure it wasn't the problem, I decided to leave them running. The GM refused to help me until I disable them. Sure as shit, it fixed the problem straight away.

The moral of this story is I was an asshat and wasted this GM's time and increased someone's petition time because I didn't try the WoW version of "have you rebooted the computer?"

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• mmcguire2mmcguire2 Member Posts: 310

Lol, nothing funnier then asking for help and not taking it cuz it didn’t suite you. It would have taken less than a min to rename that folder. Good job on making the GMs day a little harder.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,181
    Originally posted by mmcguire2

Lol, nothing funnier then asking for help and not taking it cuz it didn’t suite you. It would have taken less than a min to rename that folder. Good job on making the GMs day a little harder.

It's funny until asshats make good people like Tseric quit.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• darkpedro456darkpedro456 Member Posts: 2

Yeah is easy when you make the things that they tell you, I had a problem with the networks and other things and there I follow the instructions and it was easy.

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love." - Albert Einstein

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." - Albert Einstein