Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will this game require groups?

mbg1411mbg1411 Member UncommonPosts: 109

Or will you be able to solo up to lvl cap. Ive played many MMOs out there and absolutely fell in love with FFXI b/c of its "force grouping" (never played EQ1). A little bit of both would be sweet too. I guess what Im asking is will this game offer a challenge while lvling that will require help a lot? Im just getting sick of all the easy dull WoW clones....../cry

Comments

• CyntheCynthe Member UncommonPosts: 1,414

From what I've been reading, grouping is neither forced or useless until end game. You can solo if you want or have to go that way due to time restrictions, but you will probably do better and have more fun with the game if you group.

Like FFXI and LotrO they are group combo skills that will help you defeat challenging content, and the leveling curve while not being grindarific is not as easy peasy as WoW and will probably go faster in a good group.

If I'm wrong testers, let us know. ;)

(,,,)=^__^=(,,,)

• TrissaTrissa Member Posts: 251

Just to add that as far as i know The Abyss its supposed to be really group oriented, PvPvE, castles and so.  

• SharajatSharajat Member Posts: 926

PvP is always group oriented, even in FPS games.  5 people > 1, simple fact.  

In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own.

-Thomas Jefferson

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Originally posted by mbg1411

Or will you be able to solo up to lvl cap. Ive played many MMOs out there and absolutely fell in love with FFXI b/c of its "force grouping" (never played EQ1). A little bit of both would be sweet too. I guess what Im asking is will this game offer a challenge while lvling that will require help a lot? Im just getting sick of all the easy dull WoW clones....../cry

I have to agree the most fun ive had in an MMORPG was in EQ ,1 when you basically had to group in order to level. Very few classes in tha game could solo unless you had very good gear.  And that was near impossible for a very long time. I hope that MMORPG's slowly go back to the you are requierd to group to level system.  However I dont think Aion will go in that direction.  Aion seems to be more like a Final fantasy in a WoW type enviroment. Which is a good thing considering WoW has some great art design, and im excited that they are taking the character art style from FF type art. Overall it should be a beutiful game, and I am hoping its gonig to be WoW/WAR/FF in one game.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

some area's on the map require a party because the mobs are leet as hell. I have been soloing the whole time in OBT, At lvl 17-18 I came to the area with the leets mobs and died like 4 times trying to solo them. So with me unable to get a party I found a new map area with mobs ranging from l9 and up and I had no problem killing these mobs at lvl18. I think the better drops can be found in the party areas but i'm not sure.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150
    Originally posted by Sharajat

that depends on who the 1 person is

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• redrum666erredrum666er Member Posts: 168
    Originally posted by toddze

so friggin true XD

Originally posted by redrum666er

so friggin true XD

Going "Rambo" in FPS games is awsome. Knowing that you just smoked the other team with little to no help from your team. There is no better feeling than that, as a gamer.   

IMO that is.

• ElethonElethon Member UncommonPosts: 138

Amen

• joeshmoejoeshmoe Member Posts: 84

It would also depend on who the 5 other players were.

so friggin true XD

Going "Rambo" in FPS games is awsome. Knowing that you just smoked the other team with little to no help from your team. There is no better feeling than that, as a gamer.   

IMO that is.

I goddamn hate all of you.  1% of the time you're rambo.  99% of the time we're trying to do something and you charge out there, machine guns blazing, only to have the sniper put a bullet between your eyes.  Then we're down a man because SOME DUMBASS thinks that he's motherfucking Rambo.  

Now times this by half the team, and you'll see why 'clans' pwn you all the time.  Half of you suicided, while the rest of us are trying to do something here.

Groups>Solo, and I don't give a damn if you think you're Jackie Chan. 

You know how often I played Day of Defeat, and took heavy machine guns?  I'd cover a point we were capping, 3 man, and kill 5 guys.  Why?  Because each and every one decided to charge me, because he was muthafuckin Rambo.  

If they'd coordinated the attack, had one ruin my field of vision with smokes, two flank us, while the sniper got in position to kill me and the two charged us under heavy smoke cover so I didn't have a field of vision, you know what would have happened?  I would have been dead, and we would have lost the point. 

Instead, 5 Rambos ran into a heavy machine gun, and 5 Rambos died. 

You ain't Rambo, dumbass.

In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own.

-Thomas Jefferson

so friggin true XD

IMO that is.

I goddamn hate all of you.  1% of the time you're rambo.  99% of the time we're trying to do something and you charge out there, machine guns blazing, only to have the sniper put a bullet between your eyes.  Then we're down a man because SOME DUMBASS thinks that he's motherfucking Rambo.  

Now times this by half the team, and you'll see why 'clans' pwn you all the time.  Half of you suicided, while the rest of us are trying to do something here.

You know how often I played Day of Defeat, and took heavy machine guns?  I'd cover a point we were capping, 3 man, and kill 5 guys.  Why?  Because each and every one decided to charge me, because he was muthafuckin Rambo.  

If they'd coordinated the attack, had one ruin my field of vision with smokes, two flank us, while the sniper got in position to kill me and the two charged us under heavy smoke cover so I didn't have a field of vision, you know what would have happened?  I would have been dead, and we would have lost the point. 

WoWzers you got some hate built up? Theres a method to the madness. I have been playing FPS for long as I can remember. There are the Rambos and the Rambo wannabes. Sounds like you have always got the short end of the stick with team mates. I always like playing team deathmatches with no respawn that way I can carry the team and not have to worry about some people zerging in and gettin 20 more deaths than kills. Like I said there is a method to the madness. some ppl got it while others dont.

• mstersmith2mstersmith2 Member Posts: 39

so friggin true XD

IMO that is.

WoWzers you got some hate built up? Theres a method to the madness. I have been playing FPS for long as I can remember. There are the Rambos and the Rambo wannabes. Sounds like you have always got the short end of the stick with team mates. I always like playing team deathmatches with no respawn that way I can carry the team and not have to worry about some people zerging in and gettin 20 more deaths than kills. Like I said there is a method to the madness. some ppl got it while others dont.

I bet he sucks

• FiresealMMOFiresealMMO Member Posts: 54
    1. Will this game require groups? 2. Will the game have you lose exp everytime you die?

1. I f*cking hope so!

2. I 'double' f*cking hope so! FFXI was a prime example of an MMORPG, it made people think twice about being suicidal. Depending on your situation and chances of getting a party next time with your current job/subjob, people were required to think before acting. Weighing consequence versus the need to deathport. I loved how people were scared half to death about dying in FFXI, it was epic. Now with WoW and it's predecessors, everyone's all like zomglolzzzidyedlolzzz!!1111!!1. The game just didn't tolerate noobness unlike WoW. There's a reason why there was a Leeroy Jenkins in WoW and not in FFXI. ;)

Originally posted by FiresealMMO

1. Will this game require groups? 2. Will the game have you lose exp everytime you die?

1. I f*cking hope so!

2. I 'double' f*cking hope so! FFXI was a prime example of an MMORPG, it made people think twice about being suicidal. Depending on your situation and chances of getting a party next time with your current job/subjob, people were required to think before acting. Weighing consequence versus the need to deathport. I loved how people were scared half to death about dying in FFXI, it was epic. Now with WoW and it's predecessors, everyone's all like zomglolzzzidyedlolzzz!!1111!!1. The game just didn't tolerate noobness unlike WoW. There's a reason why there was a Leeroy Jenkins in WoW and not in FFXI. ;)

You need to be punished for dieing. Its plain and simple. IMO FFXI was perfect with the death penalty not to extreme and not to easy. aside from the xp  you lost the big debuff forced you on the sideline for awhile in a raid.  I forgot how long it lasted, but you could not do anything with that debuff on you or you would just die again.

Need to fear something besides who might beat you on looting an item.

Originally posted by mstersmith2

Originally posted by toddze WoWzers you got some hate built up? Theres a method to the madness. I have been playing FPS for long as I can remember. There are the Rambos and the Rambo wannabes. Sounds like you have always got the short end of the stick with team mates. I always like playing team deathmatches with no respawn that way I can carry the team and not have to worry about some people zerging in and gettin 20 more deaths than kills. Like I said there is a method to the madness. some ppl got it while others dont.

I bet he sucks

Not hate.  Just facts.  But lets pretend for a minute you're both uber-l33t Rambos.  You STILL don't have a hope against me.  Why?  I don't play Rambo.  You're used to attacking 5 Rambos, and taking down all 5.  That will NEVER happen against a coordinated team.

Here's what happens if you Rambo 5 of us.  Lets say I'm in the lead, and I just don't have the 'uber-skillz' to to take you down.  You attack. 

If you kill me, well, lucky you.  I just announced your location in Vent, your position, your tag, and probably your weapon type.  Oh, and there were 4 guys who had my back.  You're probably dead.

Lets say you don't instantly kill me.  I'm not returning fire, except to keep you back.  Mainly, I'm heading for cover (which IS close).  Why?  Because there are four people who know your exact location.  I know where the nearest cover is, and I'm there (remember, in this world you're definitely 100% better than me, so I know I can't take you).  

My teammates will splatter you for me, then we'll move on.  After all, no matter how good you are, you're not good enough to take me out instantly while my entire priority is staying safe (not returning fire).  And if you're focusing on me, you're not focusing on the people who have my back. 

And lets say that you decide "oh, he rabbited" and go after my teammates.  Good news.  Now I have your position in Vent, and the fact that you're not focusing on me.  And because I was point, it means you've put me at your back.  So not only do you have to take down 4 people who know you're coming, you've put me at your back.  I don't need to be better than you to kill you from behind.  I just need to know your position, be able to see your back, and have a weapon.

Yes, you can run in, grenade spam, pull out your weapons, and Rambo.  You have some dream of catching us off guard, killing two with your first grenade, blindsiding the third and the fourth with your l33t machine gun fire, and drilling the fifth in a hardcore cat-and-mouse battle. 

You're crazy if you think that you can do that consistantly. 

Oh, and we're working on accomplishing the map goals.  You're Rambo.  We win.

-Thomas Jefferson

Well I rolled into a large area on the map full of elete mob's trying to finish 3 or 4 quest I had. Lets just say I got totally smoked 4 times out of 4 attemps while trying to solo it. I just gave up on those quest because I can't join a party due to I cant speak korean ( quest rewards are quite good for elete jobs and better drops from them also ). I guess I'll wait for NA/EU to do them.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• NeosaiNeosai Member Posts: 401

My impression of Aion from the informations of Korean beta testers and videos is that:

1.  Aion will most likely be able to solo level, but of course it wouldn't be that fast.  However, it seems like you can defeat monsters of your level 1 on 1 without too much issues.  This kind of points toward being similar to L2, however, Aion is most likely to have stronger mobs in general than L2.

2.  There are elite mobs types in Aion it seems, so party leveling should be pretty effective.  FFXI can be considered as having no normal mobs, since every mob feels like you are fighting an elite mob in other games.  However, experienced players can still take down a incredibly tough mob if they know what they are doing, but usually soloing provide little benefit other than a challenge most of the time.

3.  Unlike in FFXI, Aion should be basically rather free when it comes to whether you want to solo or group.  Grouping seems like a additional bonus thing you can do to level up faster than actually being enforced as the primary way to level.

4.  Most Korean like this type of game balance anyways, since some likes to do additional grinding (and alot of them) alone on their spare time, while still party when they can.

• mugengaiamugengaia Member Posts: 347

The game is either soloable or party oriented.  It really depends on your taste.  There are elite type of mobs, and it isn't like they are spread out and mixed in with random regular mobs.  You can choose to party and take on "certain" difficult mission quests which give more xp and better rewards (not that the rewards are too great), and it does seem somewhat like raids...because the mobs are just that much stronger.  Very rare number of those party enforced mission quests aren't soloable at all.  But as you level you always have the choice of doing sub quests which don't force grouping, and really doesn't require it.  But you always do have the option to go 1:1 party with friend or something. 

As far as quests in relation to leveling, it doesn't feel like you run out of any quests to level till 30, which is the current level cap for the OB.  Service stars on 25th anyways.

There are mission quests and regular sub quests as I have mentioned above.  Some mission quests can be alittle difficult, but the game doesn't necessarily force you to accomplish them right away.   You can always come back...or just leave it be.  Or if you prefer farming and grinding isn't so bad either...but you will not get the same type of rare drops available when partying for stronger mobs.

regular>green rare>blue rare>yellow unqiue:  this is how the equipments are differenciated, and although yellow uniques are tempting enough...they are indeed very rare drops...(one unique feature besides eminent stats is that yellow unqiue armor sets activate interesting visual effects when in combat mode)  However, you will get your way around the game with green rares fine enough, and these items are much hard to get from regular mobs. (But again, there is a bit of stat difference between the green rares the regular and elite mobs drops.) 

GRIND sucks? You wanna be max level in a month?
    Since when did society award easy-goers and lazy-fools?
    MAKES ME PHOBIC OF STUPIDITY!

• rafmeisterrafmeister Member Posts: 69
    Originally posted by Wakygreek

I have to agree the most fun ive had in an MMORPG was in EQ ,1 when you basically had to group in order to level. Very few classes in tha game could solo unless you had very good gear.  And that was near impossible for a very long time. I hope that MMORPG's slowly go back to the you are requierd to group to level system.  However I dont think Aion will go in that direction.  Aion seems to be more like a Final fantasy in a WoW type enviroment. Which is a good thing considering WoW has some great art design, and im excited that they are taking the character art style from FF type art. Overall it should be a beutiful game, and I am hoping its gonig to be WoW/WAR/FF in one game.

Well Technically every class could solo from 1 to max level in EQ even pre-  Luclin. Now that being said for most classes soloing was not a realistic viable option as you would be mad trying to level up on LB mobs. And even for the soloing classes if you were in a good group you could typcally do better than you could solo. Soloing was for farming tradeskill raw materials, faction work, and cash farming more often than not. But looking forward to Aion myself. I was fortunate enough to play a bit at PAX and had a blast.

Originally posted by mstersmith2

Originally posted by toddzeWoWzers you got some hate built up? Theres a method to the madness. I have been playing FPS for long as I can remember. There are the Rambos and the Rambo wannabes. Sounds like you have always got the short end of the stick with team mates. I always like playing team deathmatches with no respawn that way I can carry the team and not have to worry about some people zerging in and gettin 20 more deaths than kills. Like I said there is a method to the madness. some ppl got it while others dont.

I bet he sucks

Not hate.  Just facts.  But lets pretend for a minute you're both uber-l33t Rambos.  You STILL don't have a hope against me.  Why?  I don't play Rambo.  You're used to attacking 5 Rambos, and taking down all 5.  That will NEVER happen against a coordinated team.

Here's what happens if you Rambo 5 of us.  Lets say I'm in the lead, and I just don't have the 'uber-skillz' to to take you down.  You attack. 

If you kill me, well, lucky you.  I just announced your location in Vent, your position, your tag, and probably your weapon type.  Oh, and there were 4 guys who had my back.  You're probably dead.

Lets say you don't instantly kill me.  I'm not returning fire, except to keep you back.  Mainly, I'm heading for cover (which IS close).  Why?  Because there are four people who know your exact location.  I know where the nearest cover is, and I'm there (remember, in this world you're definitely 100% better than me, so I know I can't take you).  

My teammates will splatter you for me, then we'll move on.  After all, no matter how good you are, you're not good enough to take me out instantly while my entire priority is staying safe (not returning fire).  And if you're focusing on me, you're not focusing on the people who have my back. 

And lets say that you decide "oh, he rabbited" and go after my teammates.  Good news.  Now I have your position in Vent, and the fact that you're not focusing on me.  And because I was point, it means you've put me at your back.  So not only do you have to take down 4 people who know you're coming, you've put me at your back.  I don't need to be better than you to kill you from behind.  I just need to know your position, be able to see your back, and have a weapon.

Yes, you can run in, grenade spam, pull out your weapons, and Rambo.  You have some dream of catching us off guard, killing two with your first grenade, blindsiding the third and the fourth with your l33t machine gun fire, and drilling the fifth in a hardcore cat-and-mouse battle. 

You're crazy if you think that you can do that consistantly. 

Oh, and we're working on accomplishing the map goals.  You're Rambo.  We win.

I have ran across some pretty hardcore teams thats owned me a few times. Like I said in an earlier post I prefer playing Team deathmatches with no respawn for this reason. I have more control over the situation. I dont have to defend or plant anything. 1 priority and that is me living while taking out the enemy team. With unlimited respawn ppl just zerg and die helping the other team rack up points.

btw if you think I stay in one spot after a short firefight your out of your mind. When out numbered you better hit and move on. or miss and move on either way get the hell out of there. last thing you want to do is get surrounded, then its all over.

Originally posted by rafmeister

Originally posted by Wakygreek

Well Technically every class could solo from 1 to max level in EQ even pre-  Luclin. Now that being said for most classes soloing was not a realistic viable option as you would be mad trying to level up on LB mobs. And even for the soloing classes if you were in a good group you could typcally do better than you could solo. Soloing was for farming tradeskill raw materials, faction work, and cash farming more often than not. But looking forward to Aion myself. I was fortunate enough to play a bit at PAX and had a blast.

There are some areas/quest that there is no way in hell to do solo, must have a party inorder to go into these areas. But I agree with you, all classes in aion can solo. but soloing is for what you stated above, just some areas will be off limits to hardcore soloers. So far lvling has been steady for me even though I have not done 70% of the quest. Lvling is easy at lvl1-10 then it levels out to a steady pace, but does not get slower at higher lvls so far.

I have ran across some pretty hardcore teams thats owned me a few times. Like I said in an earlier post I prefer playing Team deathmatches with no respawn for this reason. I have more control over the situation. I dont have to defend or plant anything. 1 priority and that is me living while taking out the enemy team. With unlimited respawn ppl just zerg and die helping the other team rack up points.
    btw if you think I stay in one spot after a short firefight your out of your mind. When out numbered you better hit and move on. or miss and move on either way get the hell out of there. last thing you want to do is get surrounded, then its all over.

Team deathmatch, no objectives, no respawns is not a situation I have much experience with.  My limited experience suggests its a camping-dominated format, since establishing a position has no penalty (there's no goals you're not accomplishing) and assaulting that position puts you at a heavy disadvantage.  Good map design can limit some of that, but there's no question motion comes with a heavy penalty there. 

But basically you're crippling yourself if you don't coordinate as a team.  The thing you missed about the 'uber' teams that smoked you was that probably no individual on the team was any better, 1v1, than you.  It's just they had a whole different skillset that allowed them to play as a team, turning an 8v8 into eight different 8v1s. 

However, that's merely FPS games, which are far LESS team oriented than MMOs.  Since any player in an FPS (excepting class-based ones, like Team Fortress) has all the individual skills of any other player, teams are merely coordinated individuals, able to work in concert to scatter and defeat an uncordinated enemy.  In an MMO, with coordinated buffs, timed strategies, and the longlevity (compared to FPS games) that makes focus fire beyond important, anyone who plays solo in PvP is an absolute idiot.  There is nothing more pathetic than watching 5 players of 5 classes zerg a coordinated team in an MMO.   I am not referring to WoW btw.  Eve, Warhammer, UO, DAOC, any of the MMOs with a PvP element have always favored teams simply because of how classes work.  It's actually the one success of WoW's Arena system (in a sea of reasonably unmitigated failures).  It forces people to think of PvP as not simply something they do solo, but as something that is coordinated with classes.  

-Thomas Jefferson

• SholShol Member Posts: 361

umm... Aion?

A well organized group of people jumping through a rift can reek havok. I have seen it in action and its a site to behold....total distruction in there wake. Also some quest and area's require groups, you do not want to go wandering in these area's alone.