Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ive gone off Asus components

ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941

Bought a new £1200 pc 1yr 5mths ago, after 13mths the Asus motherboard blew, got a new one (also Asus) but have never been happy with it (only Kingstone memory ddr3 works) the ddr2 all brands work upto 2gb after that it mess's up. Still got that part sorted then 3 weeks later the 8800GTX asus g-card goes and blows (was kinda hoping it was teh 3 week old motherboard). Right now its on its way to be fixed but will take 4 weeks or so to wing its way there, get fixed and then come back. I carnt do with that length of time so i have ordered a new g-card, i am hoping that the BFG geforce GTX 260 OCX Maxcore will be a good card (stats look better than my 1yr 4 mth card did) and only cost half its price (£280).

Anyone know how good the BFG cards are? they do come with a 10yr warranty with them (but you have to send to teh US as they dont have an EU branch) that doesnt bother me. A good card with a good service and a lifespan that warrents that sort of price tag will suffice. Unlike Asus that i used to trust but seems their products dont last 1.5yrs thesedays.

Comments

• heremypetheremypet Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 528

BFG cards are OK, they tend to run hot but every single one comes with a lifetime warrantly, and I've experienced the RMA process with them, it was kind of a wait but nothing to complain about.  I'm using a BFG right now, although I would go with the 280.

"Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun."

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

I am also done with Asus. I buit a new PC about a year ago using an Asus Motherboard. First 6 months was all good, the last 6 months have been nonthing but problems. Blue Screen, Freezing, Random Restarts and everything else that a sick PC can do. Afther trying so long I finally surrendered and ordered new components Saturday. I am switching over to DFI. I will ever buy another Asus product again.

• LocklainLocklain Member Posts: 2,154

I have used ASUS since I started building computers for myself. I have had one bad board out of the bunch but Newegg promptly exchanged it so no complaints from me.

For graphics cards when I use ATI I buy and ATI card.  With Nvidia I buy either XFX or EVGA.

It's a Jeep thing. . .
    _______
    |___image|
    \_______/
    = image||||||image =
    |X| \*........*/ |X|
    |X|_________|X|
    You wouldn't understand

That was my first Asus and it let me down so I am done and they dont even make ATI Brand Cards anymore. You have to get something like Sapphire, Palat or Power Color.

• ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941

Aye, well i used to trust Asus but over this past year they seem to have gone downhill in quality and even their tech support online has dissapted into leaving other users try to help you.

As for going for the 280, i carnt afford just over £500 for one of those, so i went with the one i stated at £280, think thats good enough for now and a few yrs (if the card lasts that long that is). Thanks for the info on saying this is a good make too. Am a bit out of touch with the Graphics cards thesedays, but did read that the 260 seies is a cut down of teh 280 series but still runs between 75-80% their capacity. These must be the new card thing over the 8800,9600,9800 etc.

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216

i had to send back my asus motherboard twice, although in their defense, the first mobo that died might have been my fault

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

I am going to send mine in on Saturday. How long did it take them to repair yours and send it back to you?

• ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941

Well, just got this new BFG g-card. My Asus one has been sent back to them to be repaired (was sent back from the place i bought it from as they only covered it for 12mths, the other 2 yrs is covered by asus).

Typically it will take 4 weeks or so, before it would come back.

• NemmerNemmer Member Posts: 14

I've not had any issues with ASUS components but I do have an issue with their online support.... not to put too fine a point on it but their online support SUCKS!

The XFX 9600GT card I bought for my girlfriend's system, that I built her, arrived DOA.  It went back to NewEgg (I highly recommend them) and was replaced with an MSI 9600GT with better specs and a free copy of The Witcher for only $5 more.

Palit has become my new fave for graphics cards.  I got a Palit 9600GT w/ 1gig of ram for my system and I love the hell outta it!  VERY well made, solid performance, great value, and extremely stable.

Good luck with your ASUS woes.

Sarkazmo

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of War!!!

• wonderwhoitswonderwhoits Member Posts: 128

I've had good luck with Abit, gigabyte, BFG, Patriot, Western Digital and Coolmax products.

I had one GSkill RAM module fail after 8 months.

Nevery buy anything from ECS no matter how good a deal it looks.