Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Your opinion of WotlK. (Poll)

Zayne3145Zayne3145 Member Posts: 1,448

Yes! It's the obligatory "What do you think of..." poll.

Get ticking those boxes.

Comments

• antarasantaras Member Posts: 45

blizz outdone themselfs...

this expansion is pure gold! honestly i had my high expectations but they done it so perfectly that im still drooling since the launch :)

• Zayne3145Zayne3145 Member Posts: 1,448

Wow ... I'm suprised by the positive votes so far. But then I'm guessing that 80% of people that bought the expansion knew what they were getting into from the outset.

Thought I'd lure more Trolls in the 'LMAO WHO PLAYS WOW' trap to be honest.

• aubryaubry Member Posts: 120

I'm surprised how much I'm enjoying it.  I thought it would be fun to see some new content, etc.   However, it has delivered a lot more than I was even expecting.  Blizzard has really done a nice job and I think it's fair to give credit when it's due.  I'm sure it will eventually get old again, but it's really been enjoyable so far.  It's especially nice after a string of other recent disappointing releases from other companies.  Wow, may not be perfect for everybody, but it can sure deliver a lot of "bang for the buck".

• deathdude360deathdude360 Member Posts: 26

To me, its been the same ol same ol. Starting a death kinight was the most fun i've had, then I brought my 70's into northrend... "Kill this, that, and the other thing, and while you're at it bring me some of this".

• xcopymmoxcopymmo Member Posts: 70

I liked BC, and yep this feels like an extension of that for what I've seen up till now...

I'm not sure if it was just me but it didn't seam as dificult as it was the first few days in BC, remember when the hell boars started taking down you HP in a hurry... didn't get that in Northrend.

Anyways .. I like it so far. love those boats constantly arriving on that icy shore and attacking. much more is going on in the back ground this time around.

• el_muerteel_muerte Member Posts: 191

Haven't bought it yet, my toons are still low level... voted other tho, 'coz i'm loving questing in mid level zones without dozens of max levels running around ganking.

• MrimpatientMrimpatient Member Posts: 1

Overall, I think Blizz has offer an awesome expansion.

I was not overly impressed with TBC.  It was cool they added content to game that was getting stale and some new features (arena's were nice), but over I didn't really like the grind to 70, the total gear reset, and such.

WoTLK has been pretty damn solid so far.  The quests seem well laid out (even if it just go grab 10 of these, 5 of thats, and what not).  Traveling is easily (they put in a lot of flight paths in north rend).  I guess for me, when TBC came out, I could wait to get to 70, and with WoTLK, I am enjoying the ride to 80.

And this is the most rambling and un-organized post I have ever made, but oh well.

• aubryaubry Member Posts: 120
    Originally posted by xcopymmo

II'm not sure if it was just me but it didn't seam as dificult as it was the first few days in BC, remember when the hell boars started taking down you HP in a hurry... didn't get that in Northrend.

Yep, I noticed the same thing.  It looks like they didn't have to do the rescaling of mobs/gear that they had to do for the BC expansion.  Level 71-72 mobs are no sweat in purple raid gear from BC (which is how it should be).  I imagine if you were in all greens, without enchants, they would seem a lot tougher.  The only downside is that the quest gear in these early stages isn't going to replace what everybody already has (although that might not be such a bad thing).  It's nice to know all that grinding for the past year or more isn't completely going to waste.

• MidnitteMidnitte Member Posts: 510

I'm a hardcore raider, ever since I got into a guild doing MC back in the day. Honestly WLK is just more of the same but appealing more to casual gamers. NovemberTwentyFifth cleared all the released raiding content already and its just plain ridiculous.

Its more of the same old, which is too be expected but I don't feel like level based gameplay will work anymore.

• DreamagramDreamagram Member Posts: 798

Whoa! What's with the positive attitude among the voters? Can't have that. Bring in the trolls, please! ;-)

• pencilrickpencilrick Member Posts: 1,550

Personally, my opinion of WOW's new expansion?

1. Excellent polish.
    2. Lots of content.
    3. Too much Steampunk influence; destroys any feeling of medieval fantasy immersion or game world credibility (at least for me).  I am really beginning to dislike the "take this discombobulator device and zap 10 critters then return" quest format.  (This is supposed to be a fantasy world, not Doctor Who).
    4. Too linear, too many quests.  I feel like I am compelled to follow bread-crumb trail of quests if I'm to get the most experience or the easiest items.  (Path of least resistance phenomenon kicks in, even though it's not as fun as being free-spiritied or having to work for rewards.)
    5. Too easy; absolutely zero feeling of challenge or risk.  (If you didn't put forth effort to earn it, it has little value or meaning.  A truism in any endeavor, be it gaming or real life.)

In sum, a game for non-gamers; folks who are risk adverse, laid back, and not very serious about gaming or at least roleplaying.  The casual gamer's game, or the continuing stop-gap game for hard core gamers waiting on games that may never come to be.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

Best part of Wotlk for me is that world pvp is constant on my server.  My ret pally has bad gear, but it doesn't stop me from jumping into the fray of things. 

• strategystrategy Member Posts: 183
    Originally posted by TheHavok

Best part of Wotlk for me is that world pvp is constant on my server.  My ret pally has bad gear, but it doesn't stop me from jumping into the fray of things. 

Yep, on ours too. I didn't want to join the world PvP until I was 75, but the new zone of Lake wintergrasp is a winner on our server. Even in the downtime there's people constantly on the move.

• tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013

It appears that the most changes are made around the classes and proffesions... Many new skills     new talents... even hunters pets have talent trees to choose diferent abilities...

Profesions also are more intresting now since every gathering prof gives a bonus, herbalism gives u a healing over time spell regardless what class u r, skining increases critical e.t.c. and production profs gives u additional enchants.

AS for the outdoors design? Amazing have to admit well done bliz..

Conserning fights ,mobs and instances being so easy it seems blizard made all classes very powerfull so lvling will go faster i guess.

Originally posted by Midnitte

I'm a hardcore raider, ever since I got into a guild doing MC back in the day. Honestly WLK is just more of the same but appealing more to casual gamers. NovemberTwentyFifth cleared all the released raiding content already and its just plain ridiculous.
    Its more of the same old, which is too be expected but I don't feel like level based gameplay will work anymore.

I think the sun has well and truly set for the hardcore raider in WoW. From a business perspective, Blizz had to look at who their primary market was - and it was of course, the casual.

Being casual myself, the game still feels hardcore. I know I will never get to fight Arthas, nor any other of the top end bosses, simply because I have do not have the time, dedication nor the inclination to do so.

EDIT: I should add that I am not among the 'welfare casuals'. I believe that you should have to put the work in for good gear.

• KouDyKouDy Member UncommonPosts: 50

Voted for third option. Sadly i think WoW is becoming less and less challenging for me and more and more is being directed to younger folks. A bit of shame...

• ebonfireebonfire Member UncommonPosts: 160

Honestly there wasn't much of BC that appealed to me... odd colored sci-fi zones, the central city sanctuary, even less world pvp, purple becoming the new blue, and the ever changing class identities.  I can understand if some people liked it, but to me it was too far from the WoW I enjoyed when the game launched.

I had not read very much about this expansion, and it had been 11 months since I last logged in.  All I can really say is that curosity got the best of me, not expecting a lot, and I can see where the various opinions come from.  I mean if you love WoW, well this is the third chapter, so you're probably not going complain too much about a couple thousand new quests and lots of new gear. 

I personally can identify with "more of the same", and I can see this cookie crumb trail leading you around zones from one quest NPC to the next.  I guess they abandoned the super quest hub idea, which is fine with me, but I do think they could condense some of the quests so that you don't feel silly riding around in circles picking up feathers or fruit off the ground in areas where nothing is hostile towards you.  I don't see how they could have made things any easier... lol I've even heard people take crap for trying to recruit peoplefor the small group quests because "you should be able to solo it."

I do think the setting is much better this time around... enough to play my characters to 80, and level a Dark Knight up.  Northrend has a better feel to it, and it almost reminds me of Kunark at times.  I really wish they would have some long EQ2 type quest chains that feel epic.. that would make the game really enjoyable for me at least.

• ScriarScriar Member Posts: 772

From what I have tried so far, and it really isnt much. The Death Knight quest line is by far the best quest line that has ever been in WoW IMO, hopefully they use procedual instancing more because it really makes the game much more immersive, im surprised that there were no loading screens for it either it just happened seemlessly. It seems to be a much better way of doing it than how it was implemented in LOTRO.

The class is not bad either feels like a cross between a paladin and a rogue. I have only gone half way through my warlocks experience bar to 71 but so far I can not honestly say I am blown away. It is really more of the same, the zones are a bit more open ended, but from what I have experienced so far they are no better or worse than what was in the Burning Crusade.

I started playing the Death Knight after first trying my warlock so I was admittedly surprised by the huge jump in quality that the Death Knight quest line has, hopefully the expansion continues its trend. I will keep playing, admitedly I am only really killing the time playing WOTLK untill TCOS comes out, but if that game sucks then I can see my self playing WoW again but only if it maintains the quality that I have experienced playing the Death Knight area.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    Originally posted by Zayne3145

Originally posted by Midnitte

I think the sun has well and truly set for the hardcore raider in WoW. From a business perspective, Blizz had to look at who their primary market was - and it was of course, the casual.

Being casual myself, the game still feels hardcore. I know I will never get to fight Arthas, nor any other of the top end bosses, simply because I have do not have the time, dedication nor the inclination to do so.

EDIT: I should add that I am not among the 'welfare casuals'. I believe that you should have to put the work in for good gear.

Interesting observation, but I would have to disagree with your overall assessment. 

If you look at TBC, and even the early vanilla wow, you'll see that the "hardcore" raids/dungeons were released after the early overhaul of new content.  I believe that this expansion will follow the same model.  In TBC, Lady Vashj was the big hurtle, the impossible boss fight, meant to slow down the raiders and give them something to tackle while blizz continued to test and eventually implements the next hardcore element. 

While Blizz is making strides to allow the casual crowd to experience what previously only the top 1% experienced, there will still be the AQ40s, Naxxramas, Hyjal, and BT and sunwell.  We just haven't seen it yet because the game has been out less then a week.

Originally posted by Scriar

hopefully they use procedual instancing more because it really makes the game much more immersive, im surprised that there were no loading screens for it either it just happened seemlessly. It seems to be a much better way of doing it than how it was implemented in LOTRO.

Yeah that was really clever. One minute you're running about terrorising the townfolk and laying waste to their houses - the next minute you've handed in a quest and the whole place is on fire with burning ash in the sky and scourge running rampant in victory.

• xcopymmoxcopymmo Member Posts: 70

After a few nights of playing, game is getting better imo, sure it seams easy but it's fun, when I did level 70 to 80 in eq2 it was not fun, it was long nights of crawling threw an exp bar that seamed to never end.

In WoW I'm not even paying attention to my exp bar.

I know some poeple blew threw all there is to do but I'm not that kind of person so I supose this expansion was tailored for us casual players and not the 12hr a day junkie =) no offense intended, if I could I would play each day and all day.