Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Questions about Eve from a person considering the game

ArawonArawon Member Posts: 1,108

I have some questions as I consider EVE.

1) What is it that's fun for you in EVE ? How long before a newb can get to that  kind of fun ?

2) Have they made the learning curve/tutorial any easier for a newb to get their hands around and learn the game ?

3)How has the new parch affected the game for the experienced...AND the new players ?

4) What does EVE bring to the players desktop that other mmog might not ?

5) Given the steep learning curve ...are there and really good guides to help a  new player play his character development and shape plans for early game play ?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228

1) scamming/can flipping and killing noobs, you can do that whit few days in eve you just need to pick the concept
    2) idk dint start a new character recently but you start whit a good amount of skills (800k and i started whit 50k)
    3) just need to rethink my fittings, idk and dont really care
    4) emotions
    5) look here -> http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/127648 <- second read this pdf http://dl.eve-files.com/media/corp/Logixcraft/The_Eve_Compendium_Verison_1.5.pdf have 800 page so you get many information about eve ( is not all the information there )

edit: damn links

BestSigEver :P

• RehmesRehmes Member Posts: 600
    Originally posted by Arawon

1) What is it that's fun for you in EVE ? How long before a newb can get to that  kind of fun ?
    2) Have they made the learning curve/tutorial any easier for a newb to get their hands around and learn the game ?
    3)How has the new parch affected the game for the experienced...AND the new players ?
    5) Given the steep learning curve ...are there and really good guides to help a  new player play his character development and shape plans for early game play ?

Thanks in advance.

1. The fun in Eve is the ability to do as you please. You are not required to stay on one area and do ONE thing when the NPC tells you to do it. Aside from that is has territorial contest which is a huge drawing point, Great Pvp which requires a lot of strategic and tactical thinking.

-You can be effective starting day 1 since characters now start with well over 800k whereas i began w 93k lol. The key to this is finding a group of like-minded people and you will have a blast. Eve is very group oriented though solo play is possible.

2. Havent touched the new tutorial but input from rookies i help out seem to get a good grasp of the basics very quickly. For everything else the rookie channel helps with any residing questions you may have. If you need more 1 on 1 help ask for a private convo with anyone in rookie channel or mail me in game and ill answer w/e questions you may have. (ingame name is same as here, Rehmes)

3. The new patch balances some ship speeds but that wont affect new playes as they did not experience things beforehand, aside form that the new certificate systems allows newer players get an idea of what to shoot for when in doubt. New missions may also help rookies get some variety (missions are dull imo)

4. I suppose the ONE thing EvE bring to playes that other games dont is the thrill of pvp. The idea that dying can cost you everything you have on that ship and more. The fact that once you find a group of people that you can click with you can do almost anything. Ive done everything from carebearing to pirating doing ransoms to fighting alliances much larger thanmy corp to joining large alliances myself. You make your fun in the game thats whats great about it, and perhaps whats not so great for some.

5. There are a few guides in the official site, ship set ups included. But i think the best way to get thing in gear is to talk to people, they tend to explain things in higher detail than most guides can.

• batolemaeusbatolemaeus Member CommonPosts: 2,061

As others already covered your questions, i will just anser your first one.

Fun. What is fun in general? And what is fun to you? And what does this fun-thing mean to me? Is this a philosophical question, or has bato finally snapped? I don't know actually. Anyways:

Fun, to me it has less to do with collecting a lot of gear, preferrably in <politically incorrect adjective> colors, which some people apparently find so much fun that they play endlessly. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me either, that people yell at each other for hours about "throwing dots" (whatever that is), and declare this a fun night.

Fun is gathering with friends, having a good chat, blowing up a few innocent people, let "innocent" people blow me up, and then let everything escalate into a war with several thousand people involved. During that war, you kill a few innocent people by accident, who will call in a few more thousand people, and their friends, and their enemies too.

What i want to say with my incoherent brabbling, is, that the fun in eve, at least for me, is mainly the extremely well made pvp part. Eve feels like a living world, which is actually populated by people, not animated buttons like ryzom uses to fake a populated world. Due to everyone being on the same world, if i kill someone, and brag about it, chances are people will remember me for it and blow me into pieces the next time they see me. Things i do actually mean something to somebody. The world will react to the things i do, not because of scripted behaviour, but because people make the decisions. This is unique, and it is fun to me.

Another example of why eve is awesome to me:

When i meet someone in eve, one of his first questions will be "where do you live". And no, he will not ask me about my place on the globe, he will want to know which part of the New Eden galaxy i call my home.

It's even greater that i can answer him, because location in eve actually matters. The galaxy is just so huge.

By the way, when i get up in the morning, i don't just download my newspaper. While i read it, i read what happened in new eden while i was sleeping, so i don't miss the reports of epic battles happening.
    Collapsing World Economy in the Real World, and the Quarterly Economic Newsletter in the Virtual World mix quite well, actually.

• nurglesnurgles Member Posts: 840

1) What is it that's fun for you in EVE ?

To be challenged with a depth and complexity so deap i will be interested fr years.

How long before a newb can get to that  kind of fun ? Day 1.

Hell yes. You start with a shorter, more interesting tute. you start with about ten times the starting skill points that i started with. there is a lot more help menus. There is also factional Warfare so that early characters can get into the pew pew PvP very quickly.

This expansion is shaping up to clear the lag a fair bit, will be nice when a new patch or two comes out. Mostly this expansion doesn't have a huge amount more for starting characters. The modified skill points, improved tutorials and context based help have all been added recently but not in the QR expansion.

Game developers that have stuck to their vision of the game they want to see, not a game that has mass market appeal. A game focused in a persistent world, with single server and PvP in all aspects of activity.

There are guides you will find written both by players and CCP. About shaping plans for early gameplay, well, it's a sand box and self guided learning and direction is rewarded.

When in doubt ask people, it is a MMO so there are plenty of nice social people who will talk to you, although, i shouldn't have to say, not everyone wants to be your friend.

• OrphesOrphes Member UncommonPosts: 3,039
    Originally posted by Arawon

Thanks in advance.

1. Alot of fun for me is to follow the events in EVE. Joining FW on and off. And run mission/salvaging with friend. The occasional trap for a canflipper is also fun.

2. I don't know about the tutorial for me it seems to be pretty same as when I first played in 2005. Simple to say just do it. And when in doubt right click.

3. The patch gave you certificates. They give you a pretty good idea on what to focus your training on. Although if you research you may find out that you could skip some of the things in these certificates. I like them though.

4. CCP makes the game intriguing I just want to point out the difference at these two sites. I'll leave it up for you to see what I mean, but if not ask and I'll try to explain.

http://www.eve-online.com/

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/index.xml

5. If nothing else you will learn from your mistakes that is not that bad. Otherwise the newcomers forum at EVE homepage gives you alot of good reading in the stickies.

-----

Oh I forgot one thing, as I just noticed that batolemues also wrote in this thread... Just a few days ago I noticed in general. Someone saying they recognized him from mmorpg.com (no it was not me) but that just proves another beauty with EVE. We all play in one server and every player you see write here and playing EVE are there aswell. That is a great thing.

-----

Another thing with SP is that the step from lvl4 -> lvl5 in a skill can be 200 000 SP, in some cases twice that. And one have reconsider what extra does that final level in that skill give. In some cases it may not be needed to have as a new player. I think, and believe, that one shouldnot focus to much on lvl5 the first time.

This way I think it is alot faster to get things going and to be able to run ships up to battlecruiser sufficently good pretty fast.

If I could explain better what I mean I would.

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
    "You have the right not to be killed"

• SoraellionSoraellion Member UncommonPosts: 558

Adding to the other (excellent) answers;

1)

The really cool part about EVE is that there's a lot more interaction between players and that the things you do affect your persona. It's one world and how you act and behave influences where you end up, moreso than how much SP you have or which uberships you fly. Therefore it's not a treadmill at all, there's no "gotta get to 70, then get T4 gear and THEN I might be able to kill that mage), ofcourse there's progress but there are a lot of deciding factors when it comes to winning or losing, your SP is only one of those factors.

Right now I'm dwelling in high sec harassing people and corps for profit, if they play the game in AFK mode or treat it as a solo game I can force them to interact and having to react to me. It's like standing next to a really annoying Gnome with a stupid name in SW and he's spamming all kinds of crap and you want to beat him to pulp. In EVE you can do that, you can influence his bahaviour and gameplay forcing him to face you. Sounds barbaric and simplistic? Perhaps, but to me it's just Darwinism; filter out the idiots.

If you bring it down to the basics EVE is about 2 things; the struggle for wealth and influence, personally I don't care about cash (mostly because I have enough not to worry about it) but my wealth 'buys' me influence and with that influence I can gain wealth. Everyone tries to gain those 2 things, some on a small scale like me, some on a very large scale affecting thousands of players at the same time, and anything in between. So everyone has their own goals, agendas and whatnot and that makes for an intersting game since all of a sudden the players dictate goals, wins, losses and gameplay... not the game itself.

2)

Somewhat yes, every time they improve on it and these days you get a nice set of starting skills. However, the game still is as harsh as ever and will cut your head off the second you made the mistake of assuming something, while not knowing it.

3) things shift around, in reality it takes more effort to do PVE if you use the uber PVE race/ship and that simply means it's brought more inline with the other races, so while stuff was changed it doesn't have to affect you. The other part of the patch takes away power from people who had been using a loophole concerning speed and they toned down the overpowering versatility of battleships, which means smaller ships now actually have a place/chance. In essence it's a boost for the lower SP players, if you want to explain it like that. Personally I think it was long overdue since there should be no 1 uber tactic that always works.

4) don't understand the question, sorry

5) yes, tons but it won't be handed to you on a platter. You have to put in the effort to find theam, read, think and learn. If you check the newbie forum there's a sticky with all kinds of guides. Some advise; Play a char because you like the looks/background/idea, not because he might have the uber optimised attributes (Caldari Achura; they have great stats but look like dogbarf). Also, try to even your attributes a bit, focussing a bit more on perception and letting charisma fall behind. Apart from that it really doesn't matter. Don't automatically go the PVE route, this game is about PVP in it's many facets.

Remember that if you're not having fun in EVE, you're doing something wrong... not the game, YOU.

• G_RavenorG_Ravenor Member Posts: 108

I can only really agree with the many things said above, but I will enforce on point, Its you that makes the game..

You really have to put effort in to get something out, I mean PVE can be good, so is PVP, but if your doing something like PVE but AFK, then you will be bored ad you are not putting any effort in..

As said there are a great number of people who would only be happy to help, but also similar numbers would only seek to take advantage of you, alot boils down to common sense I think..

There are Corps made up purely for teaching newer players, EVE University being one I am a member ofm I know most parts of the game but I stick around simply to help others until I can find that corp I will like..there are others and they all have their pro's and con's, its up to you to decide which you will like.

Also I wouldnt advise rookie chat too much, can be hell in there, I would reccomend trying one of these teaching corps public channels, like eve university (thats the channel name btw) many players tend to hang out in this channel and will help...

If you do decide to pay and need help or have any questions feel free to mail me ingame via the name Damoxenos

shhh... you might wake the trolls

• KouDyKouDy Member UncommonPosts: 50

1) I'd say i'm newb and i'm enjoing the game. You can pretty much do usefull (for example for your corporation) stuff since the very beginning (not really day 1, but within week for sure)

2) Tutorial is about 2 hours. After that you will be thrown in to the universe. You will learn only very basics of the game (basicly how to control it). If you played Ultima Online you know. EVE is basicly Ultima in space.

4) That is imo the the best thing about EVE. Basicly absolute freedom in what you want to do. You are forging your destiny in this game. Other players together withou are writing the history and creating events.

Whether you want to be a trader or fighter or something else, EVE will let you do so.ghter or something else, EVE will let you do so.