Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It's a great time to start playing DDO right now!

Comments

• mindspatmindspat Member Posts: 1,367
    Originally posted by redcap036
    I read all the post's, sorry did I miss something here,"and you stop with the insults." the op has been nothing but well spoken and informative, I have read no insults being posted here, what insults?
    But otherwise this thread is an excellent and interesting read and I hope it won't degenerate into the usual mess.
    Keep it up, we do need more threads like this.

I agree, discussion is good and it's even better when posters are capable of giving detailed accounts to their claims.  It might be better if we occasionaly created a "The  <insert> in DDO is good or bad?" topic.  Sticking to the topic would allow more people to hit the thread with the gusto they feel it may deserve.  There's no reason to pull punches and game faults warrant critisism.

It's pretty easy to nit-pick and even the gem's in DDO have occasions where it's possible to give gripe.  What cracks me up is if someone thinks the AI in DDO is static what is their view on every other MMO's AI!?!?

<edit> The "static AI in DDO" arguement is akin to this person I work with who views ALL real time strategy games as being "pattern games like Pacman".  He insists they are "garbage" and he refuses to play them.  His view was shared upon referencing the game Company of Heroes without playing nor seeing it and he only plays hand-held turn-based rpgs.

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136
    Originally posted by mindspat

Originally posted by redcap036
    I read all the post's, sorry did I miss something here,"and you stop with the insults." the op has been nothing but well spoken and informative, I have read no insults being posted here, what insults?
    But otherwise this thread is an excellent and interesting read and I hope it won't degenerate into the usual mess.
    Keep it up, we do need more threads like this.

I agree, discussion is good and it's even better when posters are capable of giving detailed accounts to their claims.  It might be better if we occasionaly created a "The  <insert> in DDO is good or bad?" topic.  Sticking to the topic would allow more people to hit the thread with the gusto they feel it may deserve.  There's no reason to pull punches and game faults warrant critisism.

It's pretty easy to nit-pick and even the gem's in DDO have occasions where it's possible to give gripe.  What cracks me up is if someone thinks the AI in DDO is static what is their view on every other MMO's AI!?!?

<edit> The "static AI in DDO" arguement is akin to this person I work with who views ALL real time strategy games as being "pattern games like Pacman".  He insists they are "garbage" and he refuses to play them.  His view was shared upon referencing the game Company of Heroes without playing nor seeing it and he only plays hand-held turn-based rpgs.

I think the AI in almost all MMOs is weak. Way too many allow kiting, why do Mobs try to follow a player than can not catch and yet allow themselves to be wittled down by arrows or range attacks and never take cover or run out of range?

Why not ask me my view on other games instead of trying to insult me? Even when given a detailed account you tend to ignore it and gloss over it as outdated information or third hand. Right or wrong information does not seem as important to you as when I last played. But I do remember you from the DDO site long ago acting in the exact same manner. DDO is what it is, a great dungeon crawl but to me not worth $15 a month to play. Turbine took the biggest name in RPG and made a niche MMO, a company like Blizzard took one of the biggest names in RPG and made a billion dollar business. WOW is not my kind of game but it is obvious one comapany did a lot more right than the other.

• TirnorTirnor Member Posts: 1
    Originally posted by Rokurgepta

Dynamic MOBS would buff themselves according to the party makeup attacking them, fire buffs against a no caster party is static. Dynamic would be not wasting time on that buff and instead buffing for melee damage.

Not to say the game is good or bad, but I take issue with this idea.

Dynamic mobs might do different buffs each time, but only *omniscient* mobs will be able to buff themselves with defenses against exactly what the party will bring before the fight even starts.

Given how popular fire damage is in the D&D world, an AI that is told to start off with the resist fire is not entirely wasting time against an unknown party in a very high magic world like Eberron.

However that is only looking at one fight at a time... and while there are MMOs that might go the cheap route and give the mobs the ability to know what you have before you even use it, I have yet to see ANY MMO go to the real next step and base the actions of  mobs later in the same dungeon or quest  on what you were doing in the beginning, especially if the mobs are of a social type.

So expecting this kind of AI from DDO and not everyone is rather... unfair.

- Tir

Originally posted by Tirnor

Dynamic MOBS would buff themselves according to the party makeup attacking them, fire buffs against a no caster party is static. Dynamic would be not wasting time on that buff and instead buffing for melee damage.

Not to say the game is good or bad, but I take issue with this idea.

Dynamic mobs might do different buffs each time, but only *omniscient* mobs will be able to buff themselves with defenses against exactly what the party will bring before the fight even starts.

Given how popular fire damage is in the D&D world, an AI that is told to start off with the resist fire is not entirely wasting time against an unknown party in a very high magic world like Eberron.

However that is only looking at one fight at a time... and while there are MMOs that might go the cheap route and give the mobs the ability to know what you have before you even use it, I have yet to see ANY MMO go to the real next step and base the actions of  mobs later in the same dungeon or quest  on what you were doing in the beginning, especially if the mobs are of a social type.

So expecting this kind of AI from DDO and not everyone is rather... unfair.

- Tir

Why is that unfair?  If we expect no game to go that next step then  none of them will bother. If a mob is going to give itself one buff(that is what this particular mob did) it should at least have a choice. It used fire everytime we did that quest for months. Same buff applied at the same time. The first time we saw it happened to be right after someone had hit it with fire so we thought WOW that mob just recognized the attack and buffed for future attacks. We were wrong every fight after it was the same buff no matter what. To me that is not dynamic.

If the party has no caster the mob should see that coming and buff accordingly.  If I saw all fighters and melee combat coming my way my buffs would center on mitigating that damage first. If one of them goes with some fire weapon well then next time you know or maybe the AI could learn as it goes.

Sorry I want more than most current MMOs are offering, but the same basic AI that UO used 10 years ago is no longer acceptable. MMos need to evolve and allow the MOBs a better range of options for combatting the players.

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

Yea, the newbie game in most games is great. Its when they completely change the game that it sucks. In DDO it was around lvl 6 for me. The solo missions couldn't be soloed anymore, and grouping was very uncommon. Even with hirelings I don't see how they game would be any different, since no missions I've ever seen could be done with 2 people.

Originally posted by brostyn

Yea, the newbie game in most games is great. Its when they completely change the game that it sucks. In DDO it was around lvl 6 for me. The solo missions couldn't be soloed anymore, and grouping was very uncommon. Even with hirelings I don't see how they game would be any different, since no missions I've ever seen could be done with 2 people.

Soloing is very dependant on personal skills, playstyle and character builds.  There's no sure way of doing it and regardless of the choice made it's still going to be tough.  Some classes and builds make soloing impossible.  What class did you use?

Not sure what servers you played on although there's generally a consistent posting of LFM's for all character levels.  Did you have any problem filling your own groups when advertising you were Looking For More?

Guilds are a main source for grouping.  Players tend to get in guilds and only post LFM's if there's quite a few spots availble since most content can be ran with 2-4 characters without much difficulty although there are times when 6 is better.  On the other hand, there are certain occasions where fewer party members can actually make the quest go smoother.  Were you in a guild?

I have yet to run a quest marked "solo" with an appropriate level character that I could not complete.  Do you recall which quest it was or what exactly the problem was with the quest?

I think the AI in almost all MMOs is weak. Way too many allow kiting, why do Mobs try to follow a player than can not catch and yet allow themselves to be wittled down by arrows or range attacks and never take cover or run out of range?
    Why not ask me my view on other games instead of trying to insult me? Even when given a detailed account you tend to ignore it and gloss over it as outdated information or third hand. Right or wrong information does not seem as important to you as when I last played. But I do remember you from the DDO site long ago acting in the exact same manner. DDO is what it is, a great dungeon crawl but to me not worth $15 a month to play. Turbine took the biggest name in RPG and made a niche MMO, a company like Blizzard took one of the biggest names in RPG and made a billion dollar business. WOW is not my kind of game but it is obvious one comapany did a lot more right than the other.

I suppose I simply assumed you would have provided an example as to other types of experiances which would be more note-worthy when compared to the issues of DDO.  This is something that might have benefitted you from the start.  I am not a community representative (thank god) so pardon me if I over looked it regardless how I come across in "type" I assure you condesending and stuburness aren't traits of mine. 

You have some valid arguements even though some of them do come across as "misinformed".  For instance, dare I nit pick "Blizzard took one of the biggest names in RPG and made a billion dollar business"?  You've got it completely backwards since it never was an RPG and in fact was a Real Time Strategy game that shared tremendous name recognition with Star Craft in Eastern Asia which just happens to be the area that shows the greatest market share for online games.  More Chinese and Koreans play MMO's then Americans, Europeans, Australians, etc (sorry if I didn't list your country) combined.

Don't hesitate for an invite, you're already posting so do us a favor and give examples to existing content in other games.  I'll even quote it so those who have you blocked can read it.  ;)

I suppose I simply assumed you would have provided an example as to other types of experiances which would be more note-worthy when compared to the issues of DDO.  This is something that might have benefitted you from the start.  I am not a community representative (thank god) so pardon me if I over looked it regardless how I come across in "type" I assure you condesending and stuburness aren't traits of mine. 

You have some valid arguements even though some of them do come across as "misinformed".  For instance, dare I nit pick "Blizzard took one of the biggest names in RPG and made a billion dollar business"?  You've got it completely backwards since it never was an RPG and in fact was a Real Time Strategy game that shared tremendous name recognition with Star Craft in Eastern Asia which just happens to be the area that shows the greatest market share for online games.  More Chinese and Koreans play MMO's then Americans, Europeans, Australians, etc (sorry if I didn't list your country) combined.

Don't hesitate for an invite, you're already posting so do us a favor and give examples to existing content in other games.  I'll even quote it so those who have you blocked can read it.  ;)

So now you are saying DDO is not popular because it does not have the name recognition in Asia that Blizzards games have?

Have a link to the MMO playing numbers broken down by country? Would make for an interesting read.

Originally posted by brostyn

I never expected DDO to have tons of solo content. I expected DDO to be similar to the game many of us played as kids with pen and paper and I do not recall ever playing that solo.

Alot of missions can be 2 manned and with hirelings I would think even more things could be duoed by people taking their time and playing with some strategy.

• SevenwindSevenwind Member UncommonPosts: 2,188

Mindspat or anyone that got a chance to try out the hirelings last night what are your thoughts on them?

.. .... .- - . - .-. --- .-.. .-.. ... .-- .... --- .-. . .--. --- .-. - .-.-.-

--------------------------------------------------------
    Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate.

• summitussummitus Member UncommonPosts: 1,414

So I register for free Trial to see if I want to return .... and WTF ? no mod 8 for the Trial .. how the hell am I supposed totry it out properly if the new stuff is not in the Trial ?

Originally posted by summitus

So I register for free Trial to see if I want to return .... and WTF ? no mod 8 for the Trial .. how the hell am I supposed totry it out properly if the new stuff is not in the Trial ?

Wasnt the Mod 8 delayed for the EU?

• jinxitjinxit Member UncommonPosts: 854

Indeed, delayed for the EU servers until the bugs are ironed out of it, possibly wont see it until mid December.

a company like Blizzard took one of the biggest names in RPG and made a billion dollar business.

You've got it completely backwards since it never was an RPG and in fact was a Real Time Strategy game that shared tremendous name recognition with Star Craft in Eastern Asia which just happens to be the area that shows the greatest market share for online games.  More Chinese and Koreans play MMO's then Americans, Europeans, Australians, etc (sorry if I didn't list your country) combined.

So now you are saying DDO is not popular because it does not have the name recognition in Asia that Blizzards games have?

Have a link to the MMO playing numbers broken down by country? Would make for an interesting read.

I summarized the quotes so it appears in better context.  It's a different culture, one where winners of games like Star Craft in national tournaments have been viewed in the same manner as Britany Spears used to be when shopping at a Macys.  

I would have to dig for market break downs.   Maybe, google 'till your fingers bleed?  :D

Originally posted by Sevenwind

Mindspat or anyone that got a chance to try out the hirelings last night what are your thoughts on them?

I personaly have not used them although I have spoken with many guildies who have.  They all like it, but there are some problems.   It sounds like simple things like ladders and water confuse the muppets and their casting abilities are occasionaly sporadic.  I'm hearing they are better then summoned pets, which are pathetically weak, but not as strong as charmed or suggested mobs.  Other then that, lots of good things said. 

I'll be giving them a shot tonight. 

Oh, and they are pretty expensive from what I gather.  Seems to conflict with a new player or one who's broke. 

Originally posted by jinxit

Indeed, delayed for the EU servers until the bugs are ironed out of it, possibly wont see it until mid December.

Is that the official word on it from Turbine? If so, that sucks. 

All you Europeans need to join us on the main Turbine servers.  We have Chinese, Koreans, Japanese and Australians, not sure why we can't have you all as well.     :)

I wonder if this has anything to do with Codemasters. 

• jinxitjinxit Member UncommonPosts: 854

Originally posted by jinxit

Is that the official word on it from Turbine? If so, that sucks. 

All you Europeans need to join us on the main Turbine servers.  We have Chinese, Koreans, Japanese and Australians, not sure why we can't have you all as well.     :)

I wonder if this has anything to do with Codemasters. 

From the EU forums,

A COG representative has posted in this thread Module 8 delayed.

Unfortunately, due to a critical issue discovered during testing of Module 8.0, we will not be able to deploy Mod 8.0 as announced at the 13th November. There will no longer be additional maintenance on this date.

Some good news however, we are currently testing a new version of Mod 8 which will contain numerous additional fixes originally planned for Patch 1. This new improved build will be released as soon as possible.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, but we wish to deliver the best game experience possible.

• summitussummitus Member UncommonPosts: 1,414

Thanks for all the info gyus , much appreciated. Think I'll download the US Client and try out their Trial. 

• jnewljnewl Member Posts: 26

Alright, guys. I went and bought the game sight unseen, so you'd better not be pulling my chain!

OTOH, I can't really go wrong for fifteen bucks. And it's not really sight unseen. I played for a few days a couple of  years ago, so I'm not a complete virgin. But at the same time it sounds like a lot has changed, so I guess we'll see :)

(Yes,  I saw the 10 Day Free Trial advertised on the website. I chose to bypass it.)

Some ancient cultures used to worship cats as gods. Cats have never forgotten this.

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

I found the new player experience to be most excellent.

Arriving in Stormreach was a bit anticlimatic... lol, but so be it, that newbie area was awesome :)

I can already see though, that I will never unlock drow, and that's what I really wanted to play. I guess I am just too casual... I'm running stuff on "elite" and still only have 46 of 400 needed... lol

Originally posted by Mithrandolir

Arriving in Stormreach was a bit anticlimatic... lol, but so be it, that newbie area was awesome :)
    I can already see though, that I will never unlock drow, and that's what I really wanted to play. I guess I am just too casual... I'm running stuff on "elite" and still only have 46 of 400 needed... lol

Drow will become availble pretty quick and if you focus on just running Favor to get the unlock you could easily have it done within a week.  Keep in mind that the rate of Favor goes up with the level of the quest along with the completed difficulty. 

I would think by the time you hit level 10 or 12 you could have the 400 needed for drow. That 400 comes quite easily just leveling and running things on hard and elite as you would normally do.

• Calintz333Calintz333 Member UncommonPosts: 1,193

Not really, no.
    I mean, there's a ton of content out there... but...
    The quests, as far as I can tell, are designed to be run multiple times.

I came here thinking I may try this game as my new mmorpg. After I read this It was enough to shut down all curiosity i had...

• Dr.RockDr.Rock Member Posts: 603
    Originally posted by Calintz333

Not really, no.
    I mean, there's a ton of content out there... but...
    The quests, as far as I can tell, are designed to be run multiple times.

I came here thinking I may try this game as my new mmorpg. After I read this It was enough to shut down all curiosity i had...

The quests are designed to be run 3 times on varying levels of difficulty, normal, hard and elite. You don't have to of course, if you did you would have to skip quests because you have out-levelled them. There is also a mindset for people to run certain quests (normally the chain ones or because they contain unique rewards) over others. This is countered by the favour system which gives points for completing as many quests as possible to open additional features.

You may hate it, but going by your taste for group play, you would be doing yourself a disservice by not even taking advantage of the free trial.

Originally posted by jnewl

Alright, guys. I went and bought the game sight unseen, so you'd better not be pulling my chain!
    OTOH, I can't really go wrong for fifteen bucks. And it's not really sight unseen. I played for a few days a couple of  years ago, so I'm not a complete virgin. But at the same time it sounds like a lot has changed, so I guess we'll see :)
    (Yes,  I saw the 10 Day Free Trial advertised on the website. I chose to bypass it.)

I hope you create a new thread with the subject of a new player asking questions.  The best advice I can give that would help you become more accustomed to the game is get in a reasonably sized guild.  You'll have to complete the Korthos quests and escape the island.  Once you get to Stormreach you're going to want to find others of the same level to better experiance the game - you could play solo although I really don't advise it.

I'm on Ghallanda and feel free to send me a tell if you end up playing there: mindspat.