Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Expectations with Fios

BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

Looking to switch to Verizon digital package at the homestead. Any advice on how this will affect my MMO habits? the basic package is 786kbps(down)/128Kbps(up)...what would be the minimum bandwith for comfortable smooth gaming?(for anyone with fios gaming experience)...keep in mind i am using cable now.

Comments

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

*bump*

• MidnitteMidnitte Member Posts: 510

Originally posted by BarCrow
    Looking to switch to Verizon digital package at the homestead. Any advice on how this will affect my MMO habits? the basic package is 786kbps(down)/128Kbps(up)...what would be the minimum bandwith for comfortable smooth gaming?(for anyone with fios gaming experience)...keep in mind i am using cable now.
    FIOS is cable, they just use fiber optic to get to your house. I use cablevision's Optimum Online and their fiber optic lines reach up to my development then they step it down to cable.

Unless your getting fiber optic lines straight to your computer then it will still be the same speed as cable, just with less lose of signal going large distances. :)

Thank you for the info

anyone have anything other to add....

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

The vast majority of MMORPGs use an amount of bandwidth that a 56kbps modem could support.  As for FIOS, once you have it installed Verizon will not permit you to revert to copper wires and it's cheaper price.  Be sure you want the switch before hand.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • Tyres100Tyres100 Member Posts: 704

That speed is fine for most MMO games. But what matters is how close the server is to you when you have a slow internet speed, even though most MMO's operate almost 100% efficiency at 128KBs speeds your overhead is reduced by a large amount with slow speeds. Going with a faster speed will allow for retransmissions for missed hops or TTL times. A slower connection can use all it's bandwidth quicker while resending for and recieving for time till loss.

A FIOS from Verizon will be fiber optics all the way up to your house unlike cable companies who offer fiber optics but are not up to your house. The speed of FIOS from your house is faster then cable and offers low timings of under 30ms vs cables which can be up to 220ms for the same speeds scaled up all the way to their max of 15mb sec speeds.

So even though FIOS might be better it certainly might not be the best choice if you got the minimum speed setup vs going cable for a 3 to 4x more speed setup for the same price. I would go cable if you can get the 3mb down to 7mb down for the entry level speed, which is always faster then FIOS slowest speed rating which you have posted.

Personally I hate verizons FIOS right now in my area.

Check out www.dslreports.com to check your ISP providers connection strengths in your area and downtimes. There is a large community here that reports changes in service with speeds and value, money to performance.

Who let you in the VIP section?

• sjeiforsjeifor Member Posts: 1
    Originally posted by Midnitte

FIOS is cable, they just use fiber optic to get to your house. I use cablevision's Optimum Online and their fiber optic lines reach up to my development then they step it down to cable.

Unless your getting fiber optic lines straight to your computer then it will still be the same speed as cable, just with less lose of signal going large distances. :)

wow????well said.....

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

I have had FIOS for about 2 years. I haven't tested before the free upgrade to 20Mb/Sec but before that my dslreports tests showed a d/l of between 13-15Mb/sec.  I'm happy with it for $45/mth. I moved from DSL to FIOS and noticed a huge difference, not sure how big a difference you'd notice from cable, especially at the basic speed. 

To add to an earlier post, I have fiber to the house then a cat 5 cable to my wireless router. My desktop is wired to the router.

• hvc801hvc801 Member Posts: 987

I recently just got Fios television to complete my phone and internet hook up and it lowered my payments drastically. I now only pay one fee of around 150 a month for all three (it could have been around 100, but i like all the movie channels they have, insane amounts) I was using cable for my high speed internet connection, then upgraded to Fios, because the cable was an unreliable source and went out all the time.  Now im getting up to 36Mb/s on my internet connection and its freaking amazing. no internet lag what so ever, and the verizon team is F*cking great. If you have a problem, they'll be at your house the next business day at the time they specified and fix your problem in about an hour, and they wont leave untill they fix your problem. Great people. If youre tech savvy, you could hold a conversation with them for a while.  I have nothing bad to say about any of their services. I would give them a 9/10. Why 9? Because I have yet to find something better.

What if Paul Revere was like the boy who cried wolf....?

Originally posted by Hazmal

What does he say when people ask what he did? "My mommy was irking me yo - I wanted to keep pwning nubs on my xbox, so I roughed her up with a hardshell. That is just how I roll."

• SmokeysongSmokeysong Member UncommonPosts: 247
    Originally posted by Midnitte

This isn't entirely true. With other cable systems, the connection to your house is shared with other houses, so if they tell you you'll get 'up to 8MB/sec download', that's what you'll get if no one else on your block is on line. With FIOS, you get what they sell you, all the time. It only gets divided if you hook up more than one computer in your house. My connection is 5MB download 2MB upload, I actually get slightly above 5MB download and about 1.5MB upload.

Now if your talking about your TV service, yes it's about the same as cable, for all practical purposes. Frankly, I like Dish better, though the picture seems brighter for some reason with FIOS. The only reason I don't have Dish now is thunderstorms, which interfere with any satelite service. I don't much care to have my TV go out in the middle of an episode of CSI! lol. If I lived in Nevada or someplace where it rarely had thunderstorm-heavy rains, I'd have FIOS for my internet, but Dish for my TV.

Have played: Everquest, Asheron's Call, Horizons, Everquest2, World of Warcraft, Lord of the Rings Online, Warhammer, Age of Conan, Darkfall