Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WARNING WARNING - AUTOMATIC PAYMENT ENABLED !!

Comments

• FrobnerFrobner Member Posts: 649
    Originally posted by Thachsanh

Originally posted by Frobner
    Im also serious when I say that there was an option to make SURE that you did NOT get Automaticly charged...

I dont give a FLYING fuck what WOW or other games are doing.  I expect them to charge automatic if not stated otherwise.  But i DO expect a game that GIVES the option to ONLY pay for one month and NOT get automaticly charged to honor that.  You can go on and on about what other games are doing but that does NOT change the fact that Mythic has now changed the subscription option for ppl that THOUGHT that they would not be charged automaticly.   They even clicked an OPTION that made sure they would NOT be charged automaticly on their account..
    Get it ?  

My comment was not direct at you, dude. Chill. Like I said, that option is rare and it's not a standard way for subscription. It was nice that Mythic gave that option.

Now, it's not like they signed a contract with you saying they cannot change their system ever. They somehow decided that they will not give that option anymore, so? every other MMO out there don't have that option either, what's the big deal?

The only problem in the case is the grace period they gave. I understand that they should give a longer grace period to give people enough time to change the payment option, but they DID send out a warning.

If you did not catch it in time, it's not like you don't have any other way to resolve the issue. Just call your credit card company and ask for a charge back. Given the reason for the charge back is understandable like in this case, I don't think you have any problem.

So... do you need to sign a special contract every time you sub to a game now ?   So where is the limit for you ?    I see I can not get you to admit to Mythic doing anything wrong.. but this is sick buisness no matter what game it is.  Its something that made sure that I will stay MILEs away from WAR from now on. 

• rwnemisisrwnemisis Member Posts: 28

didnt you say  in some post you made before the first month of WAR was up that you were done with it then? are you paying the monthly subscription for a reason to complain then? because thats all i see in your WAR posts is more complaints, really if your not having fun why pay for the game?... "IF" you think it has potential or something and maybe thats why then why nto cancel and come back in 6 months when more stuff is straightened out?

imageimage

• Omega3Omega3 Member Posts: 398

Can't believe some people actually accept bending over and taking it full up the ass.

One month ago there was an option to turn automatic subscription off; now they take it out. You know full well what they are trying to do: bill people who maybe desinstalled the game and stopped caring after renewing their subscription once.

I see it as bad commercial practice.

All MMo have automatic renewal of, no MMO makes a sneaky change in their billing rules to dupe players.

My addiction History:
    >> EQ1 2000-2004 - Shaman/Bard/Wizard/Monk - nolife raid-whore
    >> WoW 2004-2009 + Cataclysm for 2 months - hardcore casual
    >> Current status : done with MMO, too old for that crap.

• ThebigbopperThebigbopper Member Posts: 114

No matter what day they did it they would have put some people off guard. I didn't buy the game on release day  and i imagine a lot  of people didn't. They made a decision to change the way they did their billing cycle and  the reason "could"  be malicious but it might be for other reasons.

If someone complains they didn't read the email who knows they may pay the money back as long as the account has not been played.  Seems to me some people will complain about anything and everything.

To the above poster, it wasn't sneaky they emailed and that email had to come sometime  when they did it or later and some people would still complain.  To also put in consideration was it going to affect this billing cycle or for anyoine who renewed after that date?.

• iCehiCeh Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by Vespers

Yes, we ALL understand what you have been saying, over and over again. However, you are NOT understanding what we have all been saying.
    YES, you chose the option that will ONLY charge your credit card for 1 month which would then auto-cancel your account.
    Mythic, as well as ALL the other gaming companies which charge a monthly subscription fee to play their MMOs are entitled to change any and all of their billing practices provided they give the proper notice prior implementing the new changes.
    You have stated that they did indeed send you an email.

You have stated that you have received the email.

You have stated that you have read the email.

You have even stated that you understand what the email said.
    Is it just that you are lazy and that you dont want to log into your account and cancel your account manually instead of it being cancelled automatically?
    Honestly, I dont think you will be getting much sympathy from these forums for being lazy.

What's everyone's problem about this warning?

There could be many reasons for not checking your e-mail and not knowingly be charged for something that you initially chose to cancel. Let's say I went on holiday, I'm not going to be checking my e-mails yet I could have come back to see I've been charged £8.99 - maybe I had no money in the bank, then I've just been given an overdraft and have to fork out another £30.

Since I know MMO's bill you monthly automatically, and even though I know for a fact I unchecked the auto renew box, a few days ago I went to cancel any way - it said "You do not have any subscriptions", yet today I recieve an e-mail telling me they've changed the option for me back to auto renewal. Thankfully I checked my e-mail.

Defend Mythic all you want, but this is a dirty tactic.

-iCeh

• EvolvedMonkyEvolvedMonky Member Posts: 549
    Originally posted by iCeh

Yes, we ALL understand what you have been saying, over and over again. However, you are NOT understanding what we have all been saying.
    YES, you chose the option that will ONLY charge your credit card for 1 month which would then auto-cancel your account.
    Mythic, as well as ALL the other gaming companies which charge a monthly subscription fee to play their MMOs are entitled to change any and all of their billing practices provided they give the proper notice prior implementing the new changes.

Is it just that you are lazy and that you dont want to log into your account and cancel your account manually instead of it being cancelled automatically?
    Honestly, I dont think you will be getting much sympathy from these forums for being lazy.

There could be many reasons for not checking your e-mail and not knowingly be charged for something that you initially chose to cancel. Let's say I went on holiday, I'm not going to be checking my e-mails yet I could have come back to see I've been charged £8.99 - maybe I had no money in the bank, then I've just been given an overdraft and have to fork out another £30.

Since I know MMO's bill you monthly automatically, and even though I know for a fact I unchecked the auto renew box, a few days ago I went to cancel any way - it said "You do not have any subscriptions", yet today I recieve an e-mail telling me they've changed the option for me back to auto renewal. Thankfully I checked my e-mail.

Actualy its not. Happens all the time in the adult world, utilities and credit card companys are the worst.

You didnt lose anything from this so wheres all the emotion coming from?

• dikkydikky Member CommonPosts: 261

this is pretty significant because they can't just charge your credit card without you authorizing it and unless you selected the option for a recurring subscription then this is incredibly wrong, email warning or not.

If I started charging my clients credit cards without permission and used the defense "oh I gave them an email warning a week ago" defense, I'd be in serious legal trouble.

You should probably contact your credit card company and tell them about this

edit: it just blows me away how the fanboys see nothing wrong with their favourite company charging clients credit cards WITHOUT their express permission.

• GOA has made an adjustment to their account management.

If you have just recently canceled and still have an open subscription, or you had subscribed, but without selecting a 'renewal', GOA just opted you back in for an 'automatic' renewal.

You must go back and re-cancel if you do not want to pay.

Quite a tremendous business model.

That's one way to increase sub numbers

• sibs4455sibs4455 Member UncommonPosts: 369

I canceled my sub last week, but i still can play to the 22 / nov.

After reading the op's post i checked my email and sure enough Mythic had canceled my cancelation and placed my account to Active again, Thus they were going to charge my cc again.

I have played many mmo's and this is the first time that a company has done this to me.

To those that have canceled there accounts please check your account again, for Mythic will have reactivated it to charge you.

• dikkydikky Member CommonPosts: 261

just a rumor but I saw one forum saying that GOA is at risk of losing their contract with warhammer because of all the problems, and then it's suspicious that this pops up right at this time, so close to the next billing cycle.

doesn't change the fact that all the EULAs in the world can't get around the consumer protection laws that strictly forbid charging a customers credit card without their express permission.

• LeemegLeemeg Member UncommonPosts: 230
    Originally posted by teiohFromSWG

this is pretty significant because they can't just charge your credit card without you authorizing it and unless you selected the option for a recurring subscription then this is incredibly wrong, email warning or not.
    If I started charging my clients credit cards without permission and used the defense "oh I gave them an email warning a week ago" defense, I'd be in serious legal trouble.
    You should probably contact your credit card company and tell them about this
    edit: it just blows me away how the fanboys see nothing wrong with their favourite company charging clients credit cards WITHOUT their express permission.

You hit the nail with this one. That is the core of the problem, not any warning email is enough to bypass this. They should have made all those accounts that was flagged with non-recuring setting to be canceled instead of active. That's the only thing they are allowed to do. What they did/does now is not legal, and the CC companies should be notified of this issue.

It sound similar to what D&L tried to do back in the days, where they activated my account in a "free" month, long since I left the game, but they forgot to cancel it again, so it was draining the account in the next couple of months. Luckly I had no valid CC registered at that time (but the account ballance was in minus).

--
    Leemeg.

• melmoth1melmoth1 Member Posts: 762

I back the OP one hundred percent here. This was fricken outrageous and I have never been so annoyed with an mmo billing system in my life. Anyone who defends this is utterly crass.

The billing I was on was for one month only...NOT, I repeat, NOT recurring. Many, indeed most, mmmo companies have auto-recurring billing cycles but this is clearly apparent from the get-go, not stealthily applied onto non-recurring billing arrangements without permission.

I have several email accounts, and my gaming one (unlike my business one or my personal one) is not read so regularly. I only caught this one because I read these posts so thank you OP for posting.

The point that seems to be over the heads of the defenders here is that we should have been given the choice of creating a recurring bill cycle, and not automatically and illegally assuming this was the desired wish of all the gamers on non-recurring billing cycles. The only rational reason for GOA to do this is an underhand one, to claw in extra subs by subterfuge and underhand tactics; this is utterly vile and disgusting. If you cannot understand how illegal and underhand this is then you are totally bereft of all reasonable and critical judgement.

I was quitting WAR because the game was empty and dull for me, but hoped to maybe return someday if things improved. After this, I wont touch this license with a bargepole. This is a tremendous own-goal for Mythic and GOA.

Regards

Melmoth

• madmax286madmax286 Member Posts: 36

Thanks for the heads up OP.

Really appreciate it. 

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

I can CONFIRM !!!! (EU-GOA side)

I closed my account - in only possible way - putting it to "manual"

After few days i got email "Your account automatic renewal is ACTIVATED!!!!" 

WTF!!!!!!! I just closed the acount! And GOA is automatically resubscribing me again!?

So i went and put it to "manual" again...

Just to log in after several hours and see

My account has magically switched from "manual" to "automatic" AGAIN!!!!!

THIS IS LOW AS IT GETS!!!!!

Wrote email to support , they answered promptly - but again very confusing and double meaning.

I just wish there was a way to erase billing data, to make sure you will not be billed!!!!!

• NeosaiNeosai Member Posts: 401
    Originally posted by Frobner

For those that had ALREADY desided to pay on montly basis (was an option in account) this has now been CHANGED.  
    You will have recived a E-mail telling you about this changes.  I thought Mythic was above this low tactics to get free money but.... obviously not...
    So go into your account and chancel subscription if you dont want to be charged automaticly forever - when you thought you were manually subing for the account on monthly basis.

Are you trying to warn people or trying to get people to dislike WAR?

If it was warning, I'd think the second sentence about the low tactics wasn't really needed.

If a player is dumb enough to be forced to pay automatically FOREVER.  Then I feel no sympathy toward the said player.  You need to manage your own money, if you find something unfair, you take it up with that company.

Is this thread a warning with pure intentions or something else?  You decide.  It could have been worded more carefully if it was out of good intentions.  We all know how MMORPG forums are like these days.

• GajariGajari Member Posts: 984

This is nothing new, and I don't even recall ever seeing an option for not renewing automatically.

I think mainly the problem is that the OP dislikes the game so much that he'll use anything to try and make Mythic out to be worse than they are and try to devalue the game.

While I don't play and do find the game boring, it's kinda stupid to be complaining about this. I dare say mentally challenged.

• madmax286madmax286 Member Posts: 36

Look folks, this is serious.

I consider myself a pleased customer from Warhammer and I enjoyed my playtime  very much during the past 2 months . Due to work and social obligations I've decided to cancel my subscribtion and rejoin this game somewhere around February where I will have more free time. Also I guess around that time Mythic will have ironed out the game (handled the server pop issue among others).

But the thing is this auto renewal billing course of action has got nothing to do with the game. I understand that most MMO's have an auto renwal policy. Fact of the matter is though that the publisher of this particular game allowed us to handle our account manually.

It is unacceptable, in my humble opinion, that I now have an auto renewal subscribtion since I selected to manualy handle it in the first place. I have not recieved any email about this by the way, I just happened to notice this post.

Whether one likes or dislikes this game is irrelevant. Such billing practices (changing billing options without notifing the customer) should be avoided. They are irritating and most propably illegal and seriously alter the customers opinion about the game he purchased.

If a company doesn't value it's customers then the customer's will start not valuing the company........  

Peace

• NewhopesNewhopes Member Posts: 458

I can see legel action from some of the credit card companys if they don't fix this soon.

• NewhopesNewhopes Member Posts: 458
    Originally posted by Gajari

This is nothing new, and I don't even recall ever seeing an option for not renewing automatically.
    I think mainly the problem is that the OP dislikes the game so much that he'll use anything to try and make Mythic out to be worse than they are and try to devalue the game.
    While I don't play and do find the game boring, it's kinda stupid to be complaining about this. I dare say mentally challenged.

No what there doing is basically fraud it's got nothing to do with likeing the game or not.

• FrobnerFrobner Member Posts: 649
    Originally posted by Gajari

If I disliked the game I would not have payed for the second month of playing.  I play WAR and I find it a good game so I dont understand ppl that put word in my mouth claiming something diffrent.

But...  Liking a MMO and beeing billed for something that you have ALREADY said you dont want to be billed for is TOTALLY diffrent thing and serious one.  That is not acceptable and a total disgrace to ANY company that does so. 

• gronygroovygronygroovy Member Posts: 14

Keep this bumped, this is the ONLY way I knew about the automatic subs coming in because I have NO interest in this utterly BROKEN game, and will NOT pay for it one more day!

There has to be a legal issue here surely!

• OrphesOrphes Member UncommonPosts: 3,039
    Originally posted by daylight01

Originally posted by miagisan

agreed, but people are over reacting...if they reactivated a cancelled account and didn't send you an email, THEN i would be pissed. but i don't see a reason why people are over reacting over something which they gave ample warning to its subscribers

Ample warning?

I hate hate to bring it up again but when you are told you dont have to cancel and then they auto add you 3 DAYS before your contract ends is not giving alot of players good notice.

You are thinking that all players check there accounts everyday,or indeed every week..the truth is I think there will be quite a few players that miss this and have to pay another sub...so the question is this..is this fair to them?

Have not read the last posts in this thread.But I agree with what daylight01 and other says.

But his is not ok. How could it be. It is the same as if I go and cancel Vanguard and at the end off the month I get an email saying SOE reactivated my account... Ah, ok, they sent me an ample warning about it.

No, c'mon the subject at hand is not ok. Not even if they made a personal phonecall to every one.

But on the other hand this may be due to a mistake at their side and they are sending out a general warning on what have happened.

What is it. Does this thing come from something going wrong or is it with intent they have set people subscription from one time (wich would be the same as paying one month sub and directly canceling) to a continuing sub?

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
    "You have the right not to be killed"

• BesCirgaBesCirga Member Posts: 806

What part of the word warning, you not understand?

To be honest, I am very surprised by the level of apathy shown here. Two threads have been made in hope of maybe warn of a couple of fellow gamers, and what happens? they both get flamed with some BS thats not even remotely relative to the message in the OP.

Have even Mythic responded to this? Apologied to the inconvenience? 

• CryptorCryptor Member UncommonPosts: 523

The very topic of this thread made me laugh out loud. I don;t know what to say, just..why ?  What makes people talk about idiotic topics like this ?

• iCehiCeh Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by EvolvedMonky

Originally posted by iCeh

Actualy its not. Happens all the time in the adult world, utilities and credit card companys are the worst.

You didnt lose anything from this so wheres all the emotion coming from?

I didn't lose anything, no. Obviously you missed my point, try taking your tongue out of Mythics arsehole.

-iCeh