Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WOTLK Is Amazing

donjndonjn Member UncommonPosts: 816

I am blown away by Wrath of the Lich King.

I had a long post here with a "semi review" of Wrath of the Lich King. I was bombarded by flames. It's okay though, the first two reviews have yielded a 97.5 average for this game.

Regardless of what people say I play for fun.

You know? fun? The reason why we play?

Comments

• RinicRinic Member Posts: 715

Wait, I thought you were supposed to plant your viral marketers before the game came out?

• IhmoteppIhmotepp Member Posts: 14,495

A big part of the "immersion" is the graphics. WoW graphics just dont' work for me. I find them jarring because they are so colorful, cartoonlike, and I don't particularly care for the artwork.

That is purely preference, and someone else might feel completely the opposite.

• saint4Godsaint4God Member Posts: 699
    Originally posted by Ihmotepp

A big part of the "immersion" is the graphics. WoW graphics just dont' work for me. I find them jarring because they are so colorful, cartoonlike, and I don't particularly care for the artwork.

Since last patch they have done a nice graphics upgrade.  Before my computer was greater than the graphics they could provide...but not anymore.  When was the last time you turned the graphics to full tilt?  Granted there's no cure for not liking the artwork, but appreciate the acknowledgement that it is indeed art.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

Sounds like someone has been playing too much wow, and just needed some new content.  I doubt the gameplay has changed at all, and I know they did nothing to enhance the social features or crafting, so it's still the same old game.  The expansion might be pretty, but it's still just WoW.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• donjndonjn Member UncommonPosts: 816
    Originally posted by Rinic

Wait, I thought you were supposed to plant your viral marketers before the game came out?

Don't de-rail this thread. Also check my post history before making "shill" accusations...

• RavanosRavanos Member Posts: 897
    Originally posted by saint4God

Since last patch they have done a nice graphics upgrade.  Before my computer was greater than the graphics they could provide...but not anymore.  When was the last time you turned the graphics to full tilt?  Granted there's no cure for not liking the artwork, but appreciate the acknowledgement that it is indeed art.

i guess, in the same way you could call saturday morning cartoons 'art". some call it art some call it cartoony crap.

Originally posted by MindTrigger

Sounds like someone has been playing too much wow, and just needed some new content.  I doubt the gameplay has changed at all, and I know they did nothing to enhance the social features or crafting, so it's still the same old game.  The expansion might be pretty, but it's still just WoW.

Nope. Been playing AoC, Warhammer, Ryzom for free, etc, etc. I am not a hardcore WoW player at all.

• TalinTalin Member UncommonPosts: 918

WoW is just so... WoW.

I'm glad the OP was able to find the "amazement" factor all over again. It gets harder and harder for games to capture that initial feeling when you play your first real MMO.

I don't care for WoW's art direction, class breakdown, or punishing specc system, so I know WotLK won't mean anything to me. It is good to hear that Blizzard continues to raise their own bar though... makes me think Diablo 3 will be fantastic when it comes out ;).

Originally posted by Ravanos

i guess, in the same way you could call saturday morning cartoons 'art". some call it art some call it cartoony crap.

From Caravaggio (who painted the picture I'm using as my portrait) to Warner Brothers, I see art in both forms.  I was merely pointing out the poster who was criticising the graphics acknowledged it was art...so they're in the same boat with me ^_^.  Notice the poster did not call it 'crap'.  That was your word and candidly many fine arts have been called crap before as well.

Originally posted by donjn

Nope. Been playing AoC, Warhammer, Ryzom for free, etc, etc. I am not a hardcore WoW player at all.

You obviously have a level 70 toon though, right?  So did they enhance the game play at all with new concepts?  Did they add more social or non-combat features?  Did they expand their weak excuse for a crafting and resource system?  If not, it's all just visuals.  The shine will wear off after you get used to it.

Congrats to you for having an amazing time.  I would love to feel that again, but eyecandy (if you can call WoW graphics that) won't do it for me.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

Originally posted by Talin

WoW is just so... WoW.
    I'm glad the OP was able to find the "amazement" factor all over again. It gets harder and harder for games to capture that initial feeling when you play your first real MMO.
    I don't care for WoW's art direction, class breakdown, or punishing specc system, so I know WotLK won't mean anything to me. It is good to hear that Blizzard continues to raise their own bar though... makes me think Diablo 3 will be fantastic when it comes out ;).

Thanks for intelligently commenting on their art direction. I find your words to be more thought provoking than Ravanos' "Saturday Morning Crap" remark.

I happen to like the art direction in WoW very much. I am not always happy with the pixel count, but that is another story :)

You obviously have a level 70 toon though, right?  So did they enhance the game play at all with new concepts?  Did they add more social or non-combat features.  Did the expand their weak excuse for a crafting and resource system?  If not, it's all just visuals.  The shine will wear off after you get used to it.

Name a game out there right now with a better social system, non-combat features, crafting and resource system. DONT mention one category, your example must be better than WoW's in ALL above mentioned categories. Yes WoW has some failings in those areas, but no-one can do all of those things perfectly.

Blizz is under more and more pressure these days to keep up with the Jones'.  In that situation the customer wins, so I'm grateful for it.  They seem to be responding fairly well overall and are trying to pluck things off of their customer's wishlist and deliver.  As long as they continue this progression with more frenquency than the 2005-2007 years, that'd be good.

You obviously have a level 70 toon though, right?  So did they enhance the game play at all with new concepts?  Did they add more social or non-combat features.  Did the expand their weak excuse for a crafting and resource system?  If not, it's all just visuals.  The shine will wear off after you get used to it.

Name a game out there right now with a better social system, non-combat features, crafting and resource system. DONT mention one category, your example must be better than WoW's in ALL above mentioned categories. Yes WoW has some failings in those areas, but no-one can do all of those things perfectly.

You just illustrated my point.  WoW has very little in the way of social features, non-combat systems, and the crafting is pathetic.  Every game that has come out since WoW is trying to carbon copy WoW's success suffers from the game lack of innovation.  Games that are 90% combat and 10% everything else will always bore me and many other people to death.  WoW is my main example of what is wrong with MMO's today.

I played through to 70, then left.  I had a decent time, but it certainly wasn't a memorable experience.  I found the whole game to be shallow, and everyone was sort of disconnected.  All the other new MMO's are the same way.

• natuxatunatuxatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

The quests in WOTLK are typical World of Warcraft lore (meaning very good), however I cannot wait to get involved with the siege PvP as I level up.

Well that alone tell me that it's not worth picking up again. The quests are boring and distract from any main focus of what is going on in the "world. "Go kill x boars." I like the Missions from Guild Wars and the PQs from War more.  Glad the fanbois enjoy it though.

You obviously have a level 70 toon though, right?  So did they enhance the game play at all with new concepts?  Did they add more social or non-combat features?  Did they expand their weak excuse for a crafting and resource system?  If not, it's all just visuals.  The shine will wear off after you get used to it.

Congrats to you for having an amazing time.  I would love to feel that again, but eyecandy (if you can call WoW graphics that) won't do it for me.

New Concepts

Siege PvP warfare using various weaponry (cannons, launchers, etc, air to air dog fighting, two and three person vehicles ala Halo.

Social and Non-Combat

A Calendar system for Guild Members to schedule events. In game voice was added a while back. Not sure what else you want in this category.

Crafting and Resources

Crafting has been improved not only with Inscription but the new recipes for WOLTK are amazing. Think about building your own plane or helicopter? What can be cooler than that? How about crafting your own epic armor? Crafting in WoW is very underrated. It is actually quite good.

You just illustrated my point.  WoW has very little in the way of social features, non-combat systems, and the crafting is pathetic.  Every game that has come out since WoW is trying to carbon copy WoW's success suffers from the game lack of innovation.  Games that are 90% combat and 10% everything else will always bore me and many other people to death.  WoW is my main example of what is wrong with MMO's today.

I played through to 70, then left.  I had a decent time, but it certainly wasn't a memorable experience.  I found the whole game to be shallow, and everyone was sort of disconnected.  All the other new MMO's are the same way.

Yet you didn't answer my question.

Look up the theme song from "The Spy Who Loved Me"...

Originally posted by natuxatu

The quests in WOTLK are typical World of Warcraft lore (meaning very good), however I cannot wait to get involved with the siege PvP as I level up

Well that alone tell me that it's not worth picking up again. The quests are boring and distract from any main focus of what is going on in the "world. "Go kill x boars." I like the Missions from Guild Wars and the PQs from War more.  Glad the fanbois enjoy it though.

The "kill x boars" thing is such a cliche. Wow has become so much more. Bombing run quests, etc.

Early in the Death Knight starting area, you are able to control a large orb. This orb floats over a small town in which you have to gather information about the various structures. At your disposal you can turn invisible, or unleash a horde of ghouls upon the villagers and watch chaos take place as these ghouls attack villagers and defenders. Almost like a mini-RTS in a way. This distracts the militia as you gather this information, then return back to the Lich King to give him your information.

Later you are given a quest to torture innocent civilians for information. This is the dilemma your character goes through as you realize that the Lich King is wrong, and you must become good and break free. It is thought provoking, and interesting, as you are presented with morals.

Kill "x boards" are 10% of what WoW is now.

It's a shame that stereotype still exists..

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

I just resubbed the other day.  I've been gone from WOW for a long time, so I just rolled a pally draeni (however you spell it) and it's pretty fun so far.  I guess I will keep playing as long as I am being entertained.  I have a long way to go before I get to appreciate Northrend...

They improved the graphics.  Everything maxed including the new shadow effects I'm getting about 30 fps which is I am ok with at the moment.  No the graphics are not realistic.  Yes I tend to prefer realistic graphics.  But the atmosphere and style of WOW's graphics are very well done for what they are trying to achieve.  I guess if I was gonna gripe I would say remake the other avatars to be on par with the bloodelves and draeni who look much better than anyone else.  Especially the male humans who are so butt ugly I can't roll one.  Looks aren't everything but jeeze louise...

• NivezNivez Member Posts: 93

Id like to point out all the USELESS crafting recipes were out when TBC went live and now all the TBC ones that are going to be worthless now that LK is in full swing. AND IMO Ultima Online had everything.  Oh also on a side note the in game voice thing sucks pretty bad and the calendar isnt anything huge. Dont get me wrong i played wow back when BG's werent around and the cool thing was to PvP between SouthShore and Tarren Mill. Did the TBC thing and quit a bit after. Glad the OP is enjoying tho and hope you continue to have fun:)

The calendar was a big help for our roleplay guild.  Everyone can schedule events, write details, set a time and get confirmations.  Since then we went from having one event per quarter (because it's hard to get word to everyone constantly) to one per week.  Voicechat isn't really a roleplayer's tool and don't know anyone who does voice-acting with it, so for that one I give a "meh" but know why it's important in a raid.  Looking forward to the battleground with vehicles since I really really like the flying mounts.

• gatherisgatheris Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

and speaking of Ryzom as you did.........

• faefrostfaefrost Member Posts: 199

I did alot of thinking on this a few months back. I was beta testing both WAR and WotLK, so I had the chance to look at them both side by side.

One thing puzzled me. Both games have fairly similar character races, with character designs that are not too far apart. WAR has the far supperior graphics engine. Yet for some reason WoW's cartoony characters seemed to feel more alive. WAR's felt like manequins. It took me awile to figure out why.

In addition to using the capabilities of their lower end engine to its max, Blizzard does alot of tricks with art design to really mask any short comings. One of the most basic ones they do is subtle character animations and stances. WAR's characters always seem to have very rigid stances. And what little animations they have are very obvious. But look closely at WoW's avatars. THEY BREATHE! your character inhales and exhales. They have very relaxed neutral stances with a whole host of subtle movements. Most of these aren't things that you readily notice, but your brain picks up on it, and it makes the WoW characters feel much more alive.

And I agree with the OP. My experiences in the DK starter area were pretty much the same. It was just absolute fun.

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

I quit WoW because of the horrible direction PvP was going. I was absolutely insulted that end-game PvP Amounted to nothing more than group duels in a box. Not like any Warcraft games I played at all. In almost 5 years they still only have 5 Battlegrounds. They add 1 new BG with every new expansion. That simply is not enough to keep me playing. And I flat out refuse to participate in the janky cheat-infested Arenas. There is no War in Warcraft. Everquest had better PvP than WoW does.

WotLK means dick to me.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

Yet you didn't answer my question.

Look up the theme song from "The Spy Who Loved Me"...

You asked me to name a current game that is better than WoW in those categories.  Everything to come out in the past few years has either failed outright, or is a clone of wow's gameplay.  They are more or less the same. This doesn't  make wow the best game out, it makes it the pioneer in yawn-inducing mmo play.

SWG still, even in its currently torn up state, has better, deeper, and richer crafting and non-combat gameplay elements than any other game on the market, WoW included.  This is still true now, even though most of the game was *removed* when SOE tried to turn SWG into a WoW-clone.

The fact that they removed so much from SWG to make it more like WoW speaks volumes about the depth and gameplay of WoW by comparison.  Imagine a game with 26 (!) professions/classes that gives you the ability to mix and match skills from mutiple classes to create your own path through the game.  None of the current game developers have the ballsack to even break out of the standard archtypes, let alone create 26 of them.  Many of the non-combat professions in SWG were complete gameplay paths that were independent of combat.  Show me a game like that today.