Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking about this laptop

EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

Ive been going back and forth trying to decide on what gaming laptop to buy in Jan of 2009.  Here's one of my more serious considerations:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8892825&type=product&id=1211587727985&ref=39&loc=01&srccode=cii_11138&cpncode=24-6726147-2

Intel® Centrino® 2 processor technology with interrelated Intel® Core™2 Duo processor P8400, Intel® Mobile PM45 Express chipset, Intel® Wireless Wi-Fi Link network connection (802.11a/b/g/n), extended battery life capability

4GB DDR3 memory for multitasking power, 1066MHz frontside bus, 3MB L2 cache and 2.26GHz pocessor speed getting it upgraded to 6GB ram

Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL media; supports DVD-RAM; also supports Labelflash direct-disc labels using compatible Labelflash media

The next-generation Intel® Core™2 Duo processor is based on the innovative Intel® Core™ microarchitecture, so it runs faster and is more energy-efficient for cooler, quieter operation

17" WUXGA TFT widescreen display with 1920 x 1200 resolution

200GB SATA hard drive (7200 rpm) getting it upgraded to 500 gb (7200 rpm)

NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GTS graphics with 512MB of GDDR3 discrete video memory; high-definition audio (2-channel); HDMI connector

Built-in 1.3MP webcam makes it easy to chat with and send video mail to family and friends

5-in-1 digital media manager supports Secure Digital, MultiMediaCard, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO and xD-Picture Card

Sooo....what do you all think? Good for some serious gaming for a laptop?

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

Comments

• n25phillyn25philly Member Posts: 1,317

gaming laptop lol

I wouldn't bother with ddr3 unless it's got an i7

member of imminst.org

• Jimmy_ScytheJimmy_Scythe Member CommonPosts: 3,586

Unless you're buying a laptop to player older games, like two to three years old,  you probably should forget gaming on a laptop.

Basically, you have some serious tradeoffs to deal with. The more ass the rig comes equipped with, the shorter the battery life. You can't upgrade. Ever. Heat is an even bigger issue than it is with desktops. And then there's the fact that you could buy a totally bitchin' desktop for the price of  "gaming" laptop that only meets mid-range PC standards.

Then again, maybe you just want something to play Half-Life 2 on. In that case, the laptop you're looking at will work just fine.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Sounds like that $29.00/hour is burning a hole in your pocket.  I know it would for me.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • JackcoltJackcolt Member UncommonPosts: 2,170

Yeah, that is a seriously good laptop. Good processer and top of the line mobility graphics card, so you should be set for some good gaming. Yes, it's not going to run Crysis smooth on very high and all, but still, it's a good machine.

Of course, as always, desktops are just better for gaming no matter what. But instead of being a twat and going on about that, one should realize that some people have the need for a laptop. And since they can't afford both, they'll need a powerful laptop for gaming.

• FlemFlem Member UncommonPosts: 2,870

That's a good gaming laptop.  Mines over one year old now and not as good as yours and i was playing stuff like Crysis on mine so yours should shit it in with most games.

• orioniteorionite Member UncommonPosts: 139

Was just about to go to bed, but I saw this thread.

I bought this laptop 2 months ago and I like it. Here are some pros and cons:

Pro: 

• native HD resolution and HDMI output. I plug it into my 42" LCD and it's a dream.
    • Good processor (good, not great)
    • Good mobile graphics card
    • Plays every game I have on at least medium settings. (because I run them on 1920 x 1200 resolution)
    • portable...?
    • IMHO very good value for money

Cons:

• Battery sticks out in the back. Needs a large bag if you want to stuff it in one.
    • Very (very) hot. The gfx card cooler (or exhaust is probably the better term) is on the bottom left and should be kept off your lap when your playing 3d games! Never crashed though!
    • Keyboard layout. My biggest issue with this laptop! They included a num pad, which is nice, but they decided to rearrange some keys. After 2 months using it, i'm still looking for them sometimes. E.g. the left CTRL key is not the furthest left key.. Argh, so annoying.
    • Vista Home Premium... I'm still not used to it, but that's a personal thing

I guess you are wondering what kind of games I'm playing on it. At the moment mostly Warhammer Online at 1920x1200 on medium with some effects turned off. I have an average of about 40-50 fps, when I'm just running around the game. If there is heavy pvp action fps drops dramatically. But that has as much to do with serverside lag as it does with connection and my laptop's speed. Also tried Quake Wars (high details in HD res) and some other not so graphically challenging games. Spore also looks great in almost max details.

My advice if you get this laptop: Buy yourself a wireless keyboard+mouse and plug the thing into your HD TV (if you have one) . Avoids frustration with the keyboard, too.

Hope that helps a little. Good luck

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384
    Originally posted by grunty

Sounds like that $29.00/hour is burning a hole in your pocket.  I know it would for me.

yeah it is :( I have absolutely no discipline at all

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• TechleoTechleo Member Posts: 1,984

Can you get me a 400 dollar laptop Sigh, I need to get a school laptop for my hun but I basically only make enough to support her and my needs and thats it. Lol, I spend 200 dollars a year on myself. The rest goes to bills and saving 400 a month. Makes me feel poor as hell.

Actually if you guys can find me a cheap ass laptop with 2 gigs ram, 60gb hd and a decent mobo with a lowend graphics card Id crap my pants! All I can find are the looeny mini pc's. Oh well worse comes to worst I get her one from dell LOL. Then pay it a little each month sigh. Sheesh just got my car paid off, just what I need MORE bills lol.

Originally posted by Techleo

Actually if you guys can find me a cheap ass laptop with 2 gigs ram, 60gb hd and a decent mobo with a lowend graphics card Id crap my pants! All I can find are the looeny mini pc's.

You might have an issue finding a decent gfx card in a low end laptop, but I saw plenty below 400$ on Ebay.

• dubistblaudubistblau Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 274

that's some cool specs man! i think you should get it. but don't you think, there'lkl be a better one that could be coming out soon? just telling you man. and you could still save up some money to buy a better laptop. ;)

There will always be a better one coming out... If you think about it that way, you can never buy a new machine! :)