Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars: 5.98 million subscribers

ChieftanChieftan Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

NCSoft mentioned in their going-away press release for Richard Garriot that Guild Wars had 5.98 million subscribers.  

Yes its free but I think its the one game that's actually benefitted from WoW's popularity.  Even though I never liked it, I would still say its easily 2nd best MMO on the market.  I can understand why alot of players have picked it up.

My youtube MMO gaming channel

Comments

• Azntranc3Azntranc3 Member Posts: 169

you do realize guild wars can't really have "subscribers" since there is no monthely fees....perhaps you should of said over 5.98milllion accounts?

• ZarraaZarraa Member Posts: 481

Guild Wars has benefited from WOW about as much as CoX did. (Not at all)

Guild Wars popularity is due to a beautiful title done their  way. If anything it's proof positive somewhat original titles can still be made by those who blaze their own path.

An odd correlation to say the least....

Dutchess Zarraa Voltayre
    Reborn/Zero Sum/Ancient Legacy/Jagged Legion/Feared/Nuke & Pave.

• SheistaSheista Member UncommonPosts: 1,203

The thing is, they probably count every single account ever created, -because- it is a free game.  There is absolutely no way GW has 5.98 million people actively playing the game.  I can believe that over the years it has been out, that there have been 5.98 million accounts created.. but I don't believe for a second that they have that many people playing.

• WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

They don't have subscribers because there's nothing to subscribe to.  How many of those who purchased are still playing doesn't get answered, that's the number you would want to make a comparison.

• Syyth007Syyth007 Member Posts: 250

I own guildwars, but don't play, and haven't for well over a year, maybe two.. The game never really grabbed my interest.  I can't quite put my finger on what I didn't like, but it never really had a mmorpg feel to it for me. I picked up a copy quite cheap, figured I'd give it a shot, but after a few weeks, it just couldn't hold my attention.  I'm sure there are plenty of people who enjoy it, but obviously the 5.98 million mark is accounts created... EVERY game company releases numbers that place them in the best light.  They obviously would release the accounts made number, and spin it like that's the number of players (as every mmo company does) rather then release the, obviously (redundant, I know), smaller number of active playing accounts.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

It is accounts and Guild Wars has ton more people playing than most other subscription games. It is only going to get better when Guild Wars 2 gets here :)

• ghoul31ghoul31 Member Posts: 1,955

They are above Warhammer on Xfire, but not by much

So Guild wars probably has around 600k people playing

• SamuraiswordSamuraisword Member Posts: 2,111

First off Guild Wars isn't free, you have to pay for the client and all the expansions which adds up to a hefty sum. Stop being deceptive.

Second those are supscriptions, not unique subscribers, many are multiple accounts per user for boxing.

Third, Guild Wars sucks because it's not a real MMOG, it's an instanced single player game with multiplayer option.

• DubelDubel Member Posts: 138
    Originally posted by Chieftan

NCSoft mentioned in their going-away press release for Richard Garriot that Guild Wars had 5.98 million subscribers.  
    Yes its free but I think its the one game that's actually benefitted from WoW's popularity.  Even though I never liked it, I would still say its easily 2nd best MMO on the market.  I can understand why alot of players have picked it up.

Is there a subscription fee?  If not how many of those accounts are still reatlly  actaive since your account will never be cancelled.  And lets not forget, he said accounts created and not clients/boxes sold or active playing accounts.   

• ChieftanChieftan Member UncommonPosts: 1,188
    Originally posted by Samuraisword

First off Guild Wars isn't free, you have to pay for the client and all the expansions which adds up to a hefty sum. Stop being deceptive.
    Second those are supscriptions, not unique subscribers, many are multiple accounts per user for boxing.

Boxing is rampant in all MMOs.  Especially the ones with low population and geared toward grouping.

My youtube MMO gaming channel

• dreamsfadedreamsfade Member UncommonPosts: 339
    Originally posted by Sheista

The thing is, they probably count every single account ever created, -because- it is a free game.  There is absolutely no way GW has 5.98 million people actively playing the game.  I can believe that over the years it has been out, that there have been 5.98 million accounts created.. but I don't believe for a second that they have that many people playing.

Exactly, I bought GW long time ago played it for about a month and ditched it, never grabbed my attention and never felt like a true mmo for me. now its collecting dust laughing in my face that i wasted money on it.

• metalhead980metalhead980 Member Posts: 2,658

Why make a subscription post about a game with no recurring subs?

You do realize every idiot troll that needs to let people know how many players play a rival game will be on this thread like white on rice.

GW has a active community, that's all I care about.

PLaying: EvE, Ryzom

Waiting For: Earthrise, Perpetuum

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938
    Originally posted by Samuraisword

Third, Guild Wars sucks because it's not a real MMOG, it's an instanced single player game with multiplayer option.

1) It may not be totally free, but there is no monthly fee. In that regard it is free. 

2) I have never in my 3 years of Guild Wars come across someone who multi-boxes. Guild Wars isn't designed in such a way so that would be highly idiotic. And, before anyone asks, NCsoft has said that this is the number of unique accounts. If you buy Prophecies, Factions, Nightfall and Eye of the North and combine them into one, it counts as one account.

3) Don't even attempt to bring your opinion across as fact.

• ssnautilusssnautilus Member Posts: 373

How does one box in GW? I thought the client was designed to prevent 2 instances.

----------------------------------------

PS. How does one box in GW? You goto GW:EN and use elite brass knuckles!