Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

things you guys havnt seen in other MMO's but want to see in CoS

2»

Comments

• skipethskipeth Member Posts: 66

girlgeek, be sure to check out the CoS webpage and read the lore and faq pages.

• JatarJatar Member UncommonPosts: 348
    Originally posted by noobzor

im wondering if the following creatures will be in CoS
    Vampires (classical)
    Gnolls (not so well known)
    zombies (do i have to answer)
    dragons (must, absolutley a MUST)
    Mimics (just to keep players on their toes when opening chests)
    and thats all i can think of right now

CoS will not have any of these monsters (accept dragons), as the game design is a whole new world and mythos, meaning, we mostly have all of our own creatures made specifically for the game. Also, no Elves, dwarves halflings, etc.

We do have a couple of familiar fantasy creatures as in dragons, demons, and gargoyles, but they are our own take on these. Most of the other creatures you will never have heard of before. We did this because we don't want people to have preconceived ideas about the creatures and people of the world.

Though we may mention some of the creatures now and then, we won't be giving out details on them before the launch of the game so that you can discover them during game play.

Originally posted by girlgeek

Hmm.  I have never even HEARD of CoS, and can't find anything about it on MMORPG.com.  Maybe I just didn't take enough time to hunt?

www.citadelofsorcery.com

We're also listed on MMORPG in the game list:

Citadel of Sorcery

• crazyst3vecrazyst3ve Member Posts: 12

from me there is only one way to describe what i have read:

INSANE

big gratz to dev team for thinking of all these ideas before we even mentioned them! not many devs can do that, usually they put what they want and not want the players are looking for. respect!

WTF no elves??  How am I supposed to be a whiny emo Drizz't clone full of angst as I am completely incapable of my own character development.

But in all seriousness, I would have been far less interested in this game if you had kept to the standard Tolkien fare of races.  This would have been evidence for a lack of creativity and originality, which are the fundamental traits required to pull off the quest system.  Of course, it is easy enough to take the Tolkien/D&D races, give them new names and models but leave them fundamentally unchanged.

The Lore of CoS clearly distinguishes itself apart from the Tolkein world model.  I find it very intriguing that the varied races are derived from men.  Each race is actually interesting and unique.

As for zmobies, I saw no mention of undead of any kind in the lore.  I expect there will be very little in the way of well known critters.  For that matter, I expect that the demons will be quite varied and interesting.  Not the standard listing of demons from the monster manuals.  I will probably be spending a lot of time at the library.

• noobzornoobzor Member Posts: 43

i would like to see differant types of ways to enchant your (i'll just say blade because that is easy're) Blade other than that particular way of enchanting and then monograhming (or whatever it is called) but aswell...

... they'res is a sword master who can best you in 3 blows in which your swords meet, so what you do is you (i'll be useing Baldurs gate origanal version skill system mixed with my bright idea) Glyph your sword. by this i mean well that will go nowhere anyways Glyph is a trap spell where as soon as something touches the glyph it explodes, then put that on your sword (note be sure to have a magical sheild of some sort or a big shield you can hide behind) and reap the benifits of one hit KO

this of course be one time and one time only, and would really dmg your equipment. (mayby next time i'll run around him and instead of beating his brains out for zombie chow, at the expense of your equipment)

If you did that in my D&D campaign, the glyph would blow your hand off and you'd be out several days while you get your hand regen'd.

Although not available in Baldur's Gate, there is a D&D 3.5 prestige class called Spellsword that allows you to fire off a spell as part of a successful melee attack. Buy 2 swords of spell storing (3rd level). Your opening attack against boss guy is two melee attacks and three lightning bolts.

The CoS Q&A on equipment describes the process of improving items through questing.  The enchanting you are describing I think would be more like buffs(non-permanent effects).  Such as applying poison to a weapon for a single attack or adding elemental damage.

And Jatar just posted on the weapons? thread about adding single shot spell buffs. sweet

thanks skipth. when i was reading your post i thought of permanent (forgive the typos) enchantments, i think it would be cool if at all possible enchant your weapons with defensive skills like a magic reflect for example.

wizard casts his ultimate one hit KO move on you and you have a sword with a magic reflect on it and your wearing your toga and sword, thats it.

Sounds like you've been playing some Final Fantasy.  But the truly badass 1-hit KO bosses are either immune or gain life from the damage of their 1-hit KO attack.  Your reflect FAILs.

As Reflect is a defensive spell, it would be better suited to put on armor.  Although your batter analogy is amusing, it is self limiting to directed attacks that initiate at the caster and travel to you as a projectile.  This fails the "cool" effect when you are engulfed in fire and there is nothing tangible to strike at.

As for Reflect itself, that would be pretty sweet. 

to tell the truth i have never played final fantasy exept # 10, a pretty cool game but lame story. in FF10 you cant move inside of battle and it is entirely turn based. i dunno bout yous but i am de gangsta. me dont wanna have turns me want to make you swiss cheese.

so ya know i think that  this would happen if you didnt step far enough away from the one hit KO, but if it cant kill him or hurt him you can clear the room of all other baddies.

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564
    Originally posted by Dakirn

I like the theory behind some of these ideas, however with MMOs usually the practice of them ends up tedious and makes game play less fun.
    The idea of switching armor between monsters is fine.. but when you're out working on a quest do you really want to spend all your time switching in and out of armors?  What if you don't have time to switch?
    Interactive combat sounds fun, but how interactive can it be before it just becomes tedious and you dread doing it?  Are 5 minute fights really that exciting?
    I understand the need for new an exciting concepts but keep in mind that most of these translate poorly to an environment such as an MMO where you're going to constantly have to use the system and it becomes more work than it's worth.

Well the result from this might be more in line with choosing your targets carefully according to your strengths/weaknesses. Or, if you can't avoid a situation  you're not well-suited for, have help along who can help increase the kill speed and, thus, mitigate the damage you take.

Buffs to reduce slashing/piercing/blunt damage could also be used.. would make a support class with such abilities quite useful.

Typically, things such as different damage types are helpful in making players think more strategically.. not so much with the intention of having them carry around gear for every situation that they can switch out on the spot (though this does happen in other MMOs.. after a certain point, it gets to be a bit much).

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564
    Originally posted by Jatar

What this means is that knowledge is power. Knowing what you are going up against in this quest is important information. You can learn this information various ways, like doing research on an area before going there (in the library), or talking to locals, or the good old trial and error (or the inevitable approach: waiting for others to write up guides and post them on the web :-p)

I very much like the delay in switching equipment. It's always seemed a bit hokey and far-fetched (even in a fantasy setting) that someone could switch out of a set of heavy plate armor and get into another set within seconds.

The delay implementation definitely makes strategy and planning more important... and me likes that in a MMO :)

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• PellagrenPellagren Member Posts: 32

I Think that in order to amke combat somewhat more tactical and strategic, as it has been suggested is the plan, that there be movement speeds/bonuses/deficits/spells and such to effect individual players ability to move across the battleground.  In this way you can't expect a plate wearing character to be able to rush the enemy distance dealer at as fast of a rate as a smaller thief.  Of course, again, there could be all sorts of skills and spells that focus on both adding speed, or reducing it to your parties best interest.

I agree with you, Pellagren.  Movement is critical to strategic battle, and movement speed is a feature affected by many elements in CoS.  Or course, you want to go as fast as you can, but what you wear, and how much power you choose to use, what special abilities you employ, etc. all have affects on your movement.

• mike470mike470 General CorrespondentMember Posts: 2,396

Will there be certain abilities/spells that players can use to dodge against an opponent, or is it based off when the player jumps or runs away from the attack?

Well, both.  You have abilities to parry attacks and interupt spells, as well as movement to help you avoid attacks as well.  There are also abilities to speed yourself up, or slow down your enemies.  

In the UI there is a small graph that shows you if you are faster or slower than your opponent, so you can see if running will do any good.  If not, you can attempt to slow them down or speed yourself up.  So you can't run from everything, but sometimes it's a good idea, and sometimes you can do something to make running possible.  There are lots of strategic elements like this in our combat / movement system.

• mike470mike470 General CorrespondentMember Posts: 2,396
    Originally posted by Jatar

Well, both.  You have abilities to parry attacks and interupt spells, as well as movement to help you avoid attacks as well.  There are also abilities to speed yourself up, or slow down your enemies.  
    In the UI there is a small graph that shows you if you are faster or slower than your opponent, so you can see if running will do any good.  If not, you can attempt to slow them down or speed yourself up.  So you can't run from everything, but sometimes it's a good idea, and sometimes you can do something to make running possible.  There are lots of strategic elements like this in our combat / movement system.

I see, thank you.

so jatar i had an idea say a guy shoots a beam of flame, water, earth, or just about anything at you, and the beam comes from him. would it be possible to send  a ranged beam attack at him thats smaller to peirce his beam but the same strength so that it can make it to him.

possible outcomes that a cant think of is your attack will have its dmg reduced, your allies will most likely have been hit by the shattering of the origanal beam  and the origanal caster gets stunned, ohh and you were barely in the "safe" zone.

please tell me this could happen.

the beam type of spells will make you think that the smaller the beam is always better i think differantly like if you wanted to hit targets A and B and the stood next to each other with the big beam you could hit them both however with the small beam you could only hit one.

that beaming said.

will the magic be element based or magic shcool based

Element types:fire, wind, light, dark...

Magic School: abjuration, conjurer, necromancy

will the magic be element based or magic shcool based
    Element types:fire, wind, light, dark...
    Magic School: abjuration, conjurer, necromancy

First... as to your idea on beams... unknown.  We're still doing a lot of design work on player Abilities.

As to your question about our magic system... well, yes and no, or neither, and both.  CoS has five Leagues of knowledge.  Two are based on types of magic, the Spirit League and the Magic League.  The Spirit League uses spirits, which can grant you some possible elemental types of magic, and necromancy, etc.  When using spirit magic the user may verbally invoke a spirit, and use their hands to try to contain the energy siphoned off or given by the spirit before releasing it.  The greater the ball of energy the more powerful effect this magic will create.

Meanwhile, the Magic League is more about using actual spells.  When a Magic User casts a spell they may have a voice element as well as actually writing magic runes in the air as letters made of fire.  The more letters, the greater the spell.

Anyway, in either League, there is a visual element that tells an opponent a little about what is coming once the magic is released... which gives them a chance to do something about it... or get the hell out of dodge.

the beams was just an idea and when i say beam i mean a blast of somesort from the casters hands to the targeted area. if you dont have them, it will still be an awesome game... though it would be better to be able to fine tune your spells like that. to be able to a huge explosion that hits dozens of enemys but doesnt hurt them as much or to super focus on one target and leave him stareing at the hole in his gut.

about the 2 differant spell types i have never even thought of that being done before..."should i have the banana and cherry or the icecream? hmm" heck youve made yourself a icecream sunday.

and for that i congradulate you, and i am filled with awe.

wow i like the new look to the site...

i know. will there be spells that you can diside what to do with them while your casting them. say you cast a water spell and it creates about 30 liters of it, what now? well the water will follow the cursor and when you click on the screen it lunges in that direction and if you click and hold it there then that water will condense around the targeted area.

as far as i know this hasnt been done before but would raise the game from a 5/5 to  500/5... WHAAAAAAAT

this would also be made better by the tuning option, you can either make it fast or powerfull.