Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do you play mmorpgs?

necrolocknecrolock Member UncommonPosts: 48

I have always wondered why other peoples play mmos, anyways i play them becouse im a big fan of games and i just feel lonely if i play a single player game for too long.

Comments

• daylight01daylight01 Member Posts: 2,250

I enjoy giving away my money for half finished products gives me a warm feeling inside...

In all honesty I love the evolving world,the community feel(well for the most part) and when I login I am not really sure what will happen that night,also if it is a good mmo that keeps me entertained and busy then the sub I pay is cheaper than buying 2-3 single player games a month which would be the case.

If someone had came up to me in 1980 when I was on my Atari 2600 and said we will be playing games with thousands of people at the same time.I guess my response would have been,"but I only have 2 joysticks"

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/235780/page/8

• J_HurryJ_Hurry Member UncommonPosts: 230

The drama.

LGM Alchemist (Legendary Grandmaster)
  • just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Isn't it kind of odd that there are so few posts on this thread?

I think a lot of people have gotten to the point that they're not exactly SURE why they play MMOs....lol.  But I think the sarcasm in the above post about giving your money away, etc....MIGHT just touch on a nerve.

My own reasons:

My characters are my little "alter egos."

I like the longevity of a GOOD MMO.  A lot of play for a little money.

I'm an addict, and gaming is safer, legal, and cheaper than hard drugs.

It's a fun activity to participate in with my partner, who is also a gamer.

I like the stories and lore, and the immersion factor.  It's like being inside a book, and I'm an avid reader, so MMOrpgs (note the RPG version of MMOs, I'm not talking The Sims Online here) are somewhat of an extension of my love for literature.

The virtual "accomplishments" make wasting hours on a computer feel more fruitful.

These are a FEW very direct and HONEST reasons.  I'm sure I could come up with others that sound more "politically correct" from a gamer's perspective, but I really don't feel like delving into deeper and deeper levels of BS at the moment. :)

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• talismen351talismen351 Member Posts: 1,124

I would hafta agree with Daylight here...spending $15/month on a subscription, to a game you can play for months, if not years is alot cheaper than buying a new game each month for the console or the PC. I find when I am hooked in a game for months, my wife is happier cause I am not spending 50-100 bucks a month on new single player games....

As well as the ol' alter ego thing. Get a chance to spend a few hours as somebody else n forget the real world for a bit. Log onto a MMO n your char becomes a part of you. Log on n chat with some friends that don't care how your day went. Ppl who don't care what you are in the real world, just who you are in the MMO world.

• daylight01daylight01 Member Posts: 2,250
    Originally posted by talismen351

I would hafta agree with Daylight here...spending $15/month on a subscription, to a game you can play for months, if not years is alot cheaper than buying a new game each month for the console or the PC. I find when I am hooked in a game for months, my wife is happier cause I am not spending 50-100 bucks a month on new single player games....
    As well as the ol' alter ego thing. Get a chance to spend a few hours as somebody else n forget the real world for a bit. Log onto a MMO n your char becomes a part of you. Log on n chat with some friends that don't care how your day went. Ppl who don't care what you are in the real world, just who you are in the MMO world.

*off topic*

LOL your wife sounds very much the same as mine,When I said I wasnt enjoying WAR and would be leaving she answered "does that mean you are going back to buying more games every month then"?

Lucky for me there is 1 last hope for a mmo this year,if that was to go pear shaped then god help me

If someone had came up to me in 1980 when I was on my Atari 2600 and said we will be playing games with thousands of people at the same time.I guess my response would have been,"but I only have 2 joysticks"

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/235780/page/8

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Because MMOs are nice entertainment and have some continuity beyond SP games. I also enjoy leveling, questing and getting the next cool loot.

• EvasiaEvasia Member Posts: 2,827
    Originally posted by talismen351

Just pick carefully sometimes a solo game is not bad, and is not that much money.

I play mostly mmo's becouse its more nicer to play in world with many other players and i like rpg's so mmo's for me are closed to rpg's solo.

I also play games like fallout3-bioshock-oblivion-morrowind, between mmorpgs or somtime take a little break from my mmo to play games like that:)

Games played:AC1-Darktide'99-2000-AC2-Darktide/dawnsong2003-2005,Lineage2-2005-2006 and now Darkfall-2009.....
    In between WoW few months AoC few months and some f2p also all very short few weeks.

• GetalifeGetalife Member CommonPosts: 786

For entertainment. And its a lot better than spending money on drugs or gettign drunk every night.

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142

Pretty much what all the above posters said... minus the wife thing.

It's cheeper than going out and getting hammered on the weekend blowing hundreds of dollars and oftentimes it's more entertaining and there's no hangover.  Also, in some of the games I've managed to broaden my horizons by talking with people from many different countries and cultures.  Also a rather large chunk of my real life friends I've met because of games.  I still game with them.  One of them owns a LAN center (web caffee) and we'll all get together (about a dozen) and game away together.  Sometimes under these circumstances it's not so much an online thing but a real life thing where I can stand up and walk over to a buddy that messed up and hit him with my hat.

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Because I haven't got a life

• InzraInzra Member Posts: 679
    Originally posted by necrolock

I have always wondered why other peoples play mmos, anyways i play them becouse im a big fan of games and i just feel lonely if i play a single player game for too long.

Actually that's a damn good question, why do I play mmo's...

All we look at is a monitor, and whatever the character is using, we only use a mouse and keyboard, game after game after game....

I guess I like to see my character improve, how well I can perform and... I dunno...

it's a waste lol

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

I have an addictive personality. I get got hooked on them from an early age. I suspect it's because I alwasy wanted to play the pen and paper D&D game but within my rural community, I was the only individual who wanted to do so.

Then too I know I can always succeed at games if I try hard enough where  IRL some thing will always escape me.

Thus do I play MMOs.

• Zayne3145Zayne3145 Member Posts: 1,448

Good question. For me I like exploring a vast, virtual world buzzing with hundreds and thousands of people doing the exact same thing. I also love meeting and playing alongside new people.

I enjoy the camaraderie of the group dynamic, and that feeling of satisfaction when you all work together to achieve a common goal. Single player games are fun, but nothing beats interaction with real people.

• metalhead980metalhead980 Member Posts: 2,658

I guess I play MMOs for the freedom. I enjoy being immersed in a game world, playing out roles that I wouldn't dare to in real life (being a pirate and generally an asshole in eve).

I'm married with four kids so I guess its an escape for me. I enjoy progressing my character and I enjoy building relationships (friends not love interests) online.

I work very hard in real life and in alot of ways MMos let me socialize with all kinds of people I wouldn't normally meet in a real world work environment.

I also like how long I can play a MMO, Once I get into a good game I can play for years.

I save a ton of cash playing a MMO compared to buying 2-3 50 dollar games a month its nice to just pay 15 bucks for unlimited gameplay and content each month.

With all that said I think the biggest reason I play mmos is to cut down on my sexual activity because four kids are enough!!!!!!!! lol

PLaying: EvE, Ryzom

Waiting For: Earthrise, Perpetuum

Originally posted by metalhead980

With all that said I think the biggest reason I play mmos is to cut down on my sexual activity because four kids are enough!!!!!!!! lol

You know... they invented condoms about 100 years ago!

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• ardohainardohain Member Posts: 103

i play mmo's because the games are challenging and do not allow me to ever have a complete handle on the current situation. i play pvp servers so naturally this applies to my relative safety, but also the games change, you never know who will be online at any given time friend or foe, nothing in an mmo is forever. so, there's never a point where i'll always have totally mastery of anything, and if i do master some aspect of the game i can count on it changing eventually.

this provides a great deal of opportunity for continuous challenge. if the game is graphicly pleasing, well thought out, has a good community, etc... all these thing aid in making the experience very rewarding.

• AeroangelAeroangel Member UncommonPosts: 498

1) It's relatively inexpensive for the amount of game you get most of the time.

2) I love RPGs, and being able to play with many people adds a whole new level to game play.

3) Alternative way to socialize with people.

--------------------------
    Playing:
    FFXIV, TERA, LoL, and HoTS
    My Rig:
    GPU: GeForce GTX 770, CPU: i7-4790K, Memory: 16 GB RAM

• metalhead980metalhead980 Member Posts: 2,658
    Originally posted by Illius

You know... they invented condoms about 100 years ago!

LOL just the Idea of using a condom with my wife of ten years seems wrong.

Im not  a teenager anymore, anyway my wife hates those things.

PLaying: EvE, Ryzom

Waiting For: Earthrise, Perpetuum

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494
    Originally posted by Aeroangel

1) It's relatively inexpensive for the amount of game you get most of the time.

2) I love RPGs, and being able to play with many people adds a whole new level to game play.

3) Alternative way to socialize with people.

Agreed.  Best one I have played despite some of the grinds was EQ1- still have friends from that game and i try to round them into new games, but there just seem to be fewer and fewer worth playing.

my wife hates those things.

hah, now I understand why there's 4 kids

You can always have them mess with your "plumbing"

• Zayne3145Zayne3145 Member Posts: 1,448

I think I can safely say that we're wandering off topic now. 

• ganbeeganbee Member Posts: 233

To the topic title,

I need something to do while drinking!

• SeggallionSeggallion Member UncommonPosts: 684

I play because of the social experience, playing with friends, brothers and other people feels good. Tho many of todays games almost force you to go Solo.

• Larry2298Larry2298 Member Posts: 865

I am still thinking which one has more fun to me, mmorpg or single game, seems to me mmmorpg getting less and less fun to play anymore. But it is still much cheaper than single games.

Originally posted by Zayne3145

I think I can safely say that we're wandering off topic now. 

We're not wandering... I'm hijacking this bastard!