Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crafting in wow

I want to get into the crafting in wow and people keep telling me that the crafting in wow is useless cause all the higher level items you make are not used by anyone and you can get better gear from drops raids or dungeons. Right now my main is a miner and skinner but i have an alt that is a blacksmither and leather worker and i find that the items at lower level are useless but i want to know b4 i continue my crafting are the higher level items in bs and leather working useless?

Comments

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582
    Originally posted by gambit2318

I want to get into the crafting in wow and people keep telling me that the crafting in wow is useless cause all the higher level items you make are not used by anyone and you can get better gear from drops raids or dungeons. Right now my main is a miner and skinner but i have an alt that is a blacksmither and leather worker and i find that the items at lower level are useless but i want to know b4 i continue my crafting are the higher level items in bs and leather working useless?

Every profession has a handful of items to make that even the very endgame players will buy.   In the new expansion, they are making less items self-only, which means more items will be sellable.

• gambit2318gambit2318 Member Posts: 28

i was really looking to give my main good gear and not have to go throuigh instances and raids and have to roll to get good gear id rather make my own and still be able to do raids and instances without the worry that i have to roll.

• SharajatSharajat Member Posts: 926

Um, useless?  Well compared to some games, where 100% of the high end gear is crafted, it's less useful, but they provide nice perks while leveling, and I would be inclined to say any endgame character who takes advantage of zero crafting professions will be much weaker (without pots, elixers, enchants, good gear, or now  glyphs) than one who uses them.

In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own.

-Thomas Jefferson

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582

i was really looking to give my main good gear and not have to go throuigh instances and raids and have to roll to get good gear id rather make my own and still be able to do raids and instances without the worry that i have to roll.

If your goal is to reach lvl 80 and be able to do dailies etc. then yeah.. craftables will be fine and you can get some epics.  In the new expansions, there will be more 'sellable' epics.   The best gear you can get from crafting will be more than enough to do endgame quests.

If you want to actually advance past the first couple endgame instances though, you'll probably need to roll on gear.  I don't think craftables will (or should) take you past 10Man Naxx (the first 10 man raid).  The craftables that do take you past 10man Naxx will require resources that you can only get in those higher level dungeons (so you'll still be rolling probably).

• Zayne3145Zayne3145 Member Posts: 1,448

Whoever told you that is lying. You CAN make ridiculous amounts of money from high-end crafting but you need to farm half decent patterns or get lucky with drops.

• IcoGamesIcoGames Member Posts: 2,360
    Originally posted by Zayne3145

Whoever told you that is lying. You CAN make ridiculous amounts of money from high-end crafting but you need to farm half decent patterns or get lucky with drops.

I'll personally attest that you'll do well with Alchemy and Herbalism.  Even at a casual pace, just gathering as you quest, you should net around 100g per week post 60.

Ico
    Oh, cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones. It bones for thee.

• AethiosAethios Member Posts: 1,527
    Originally posted by IcoGames

I'll personally attest that you'll do well with Alchemy and Herbalism.  Even at a casual pace, just gathering as you quest, you should net around 100g per week post 60.

Pretty much any kind of consumable will sell well. Every profession has an item that is considered consumable, you just have to figure out what it is and start farming.

Leatherworking - Armor Kits

Tailoring - Spellthread

Blacksmithing - Weapon Attachments

Engineering - Scopes and Injectors

Alchemy, Jewelcrafting, and Enchanting should be a huge "DUH" but that about covers it.

• el_muerteel_muerte Member Posts: 191

I've found crafting skills generally cost more than they make you, with the possible exception of Alchemy (even lower level stuff is in high demand, ie rage potions, water breathing, swim speed, free action, swiftness, catseye elixir) the rest of 'em are basically expensive hobbies.  If you're looking to make money, gathering is the way to go... if you want to help out your friends and guild get crafting.

Originally posted by Aethios

Pretty much any kind of consumable will sell well. Every profession has an item that is considered consumable, you just have to figure out what it is and start farming.

Leatherworking - Armor Kits

Tailoring - Spellthread

Blacksmithing - Weapon Attachments

Engineering - Scopes and Injectors

Alchemy, Jewelcrafting, and Enchanting should be a huge "DUH" but that about covers it.

To be fair, it's utterly impossible to make money actually enchanting.  I know of almost nobody who has paid back the cost of their highest level rod.  The BC Rod cost, oh, 700G in mats, which is a hell of a lot of 10G tips (and many people don't tip that well).  The way you make money is sharding stuff and snapping up garbage greens to shard if the market is good (protip: It's going to be VERY good come WotLK).  

It's actually impossible period to make money with engineering. 

In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own.

-Thomas Jefferson

• euangelioneuangelion Member Posts: 109

You don't really make money on crafting in WoW until you hit the cap. By then you've probably spent over 2.5k gold on leveling the profession or atleast that was my case with JC. I make 15 gold per epic gem cut, I also troll the AH to look for under priced epic gems daily in which I can sometimes make 100 gold. Also through the daily rewards I occasionally get a epic and sell it for around 150 gold. So yes you can make money crafting... when your at the cap. The same goes for leather working if you make consumables(nethercleft, cobra hide, etc...) 

Tried: Vanguard, UO, Rappelz, Archlord, RF Online, SWG, WAR, Ryzom, Anarchy Online, AC, APB, STO, Perfect World, Black Prophecy...

Played: EQ,EQII, Lineage, Lineage 2, GW, EVE Online, AoC, DoAC, iRO, AC2, WoW, SWTOR, Runes of Magic, Allods, Rift..
    Currently Playing: Tera

• Pappy13Pappy13 Member Posts: 2,138

I want to get into the crafting in wow and people keep telling me that the crafting in wow is useless cause all the higher level items you make are not used by anyone and you can get better gear from drops raids or dungeons.

They are both right and wrong.

They are right in that the higher level items you make are not used much and you can get better gear from drops.

They are wrong in that crafting is useless. 

Blacksmithing and Leatherworking will allow you to make a few very specific items that will be worth something to you or perhaps someone else.  The key there is that it's a few very specific items.  It WON'T gear out your toon and you WILL be able to find better stuff, but it may be just what you need from time to time.  Perhaps you are having a hard time getting that drop you want, in the mean time you could be using an item you have crafted.  The majority of stuff that you will craft will be of little use to you or anyone else, however it does have some uses.  It's just not a cure all that people expect it to be and so people say it's useless, but that's not entirely true.

• Pappy13Pappy13 Member Posts: 2,138

Sorry, but professions won't do that for you.  Professions are not meant to replace other ways of getting gear, they supplement them.  There are a few nice crafted items, but not that many of them.  So once in a while a crafted item will be just what you need, however most of the time you'll need to find something better.  Don't level up a profession thinking it's gonna supply you with everything you will need.  It won't.  It won't even come close to doing that.  That's not what professions are for.  It's just another avenue toward getting gear, like drops, like questing, like doing PvP, etc etc etc.

• euangelioneuangelion Member Posts: 109

The above poster is correct, it may give you some gear for alts or even gear for when you first hit 70/80 and want to start raiding or doing arena but it's not comparible to any tier or arena gear.  It's also good to sell on AH, for instance engineers sell an epic gun for hunters when they first hit 70 on the AH for over 1,000 gold and usually make a profit of around 200-300 on it though that's like one day of dailies so it's not much.  Mats and consumables will probably be your best bet for making good money and gearing only for your first set of epics pre-raiding.

Tried: Vanguard, UO, Rappelz, Archlord, RF Online, SWG, WAR, Ryzom, Anarchy Online, AC, APB, STO, Perfect World, Black Prophecy...

Played: EQ,EQII, Lineage, Lineage 2, GW, EVE Online, AoC, DoAC, iRO, AC2, WoW, SWTOR, Runes of Magic, Allods, Rift..
    Currently Playing: Tera

Originally posted by euangelion

The above poster is correct, it may give you some gear for alts or even gear for when you first hit 70/80 and want to start raiding or doing arena but it's not comparible to any tier or arena gear.  It's also good to sell on AH, for instance engineers sell an epic gun for hunters when they first hit 70 on the AH for over 1,000 gold and usually make a profit of around 200-300 on it though that's like one day of dailies so it's not much.  Mats and consumables will probably be your best bet for making good money and gearing only for your first set of epics pre-raiding.

Excuse me, WHAT?  If you replace Primal Mooncloth with any Kara gear, smack yourself hard.

-Thomas Jefferson

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Actually, let me add, that at level 70, I make more gold than that every single DAY simply SELLING raw herbs, and that was before they added the Inscriptioning, which NOW brings in even MORE money.  (I also have an alchemist and an inscriptionist, so what I do is divide what I farm into some for selling on the AH and some for using for my characters.  Often mats sell for more than crafted items, although not ALWAYS...you have to do a bit of math sometimes here.)  =D

Frankly, I can't imagine having high level characters without maxed gatherers and crafters.  I have six level 70s and the ONLY professions that I do not have maxed yet are engineering (CLOSE to maxed), blacksmithing (the ONLY profession I do not have on any toon), and inscriptioning (which is just two points SHY of maxed, because I'm tired of wasting mats trying to get those points on green items...I'm waiting until after the expansion to finish up this one.)

On keeping your character geared, I honestly think that Leatherworking (for a leather wearing class...i.e. rogue or druid ONLY, as hunters switch to mail at 40), is the best bet on doing that.  It's probably the only profession that has useful armor pretty much all the way up to 70....at least a few pieces for every few levels.  My maxed LW kept both my druid and rogue pretty decently geared in between rare and epic drops, as I leveled them both.

As far as making MONEY......herbalism, mining and enchanting bring in TONS of money if you simply sell mats and nothing else.  To neglect to train for any professions is like just saying, "No thank you.  I'd rather make all my gold off of the 1 silver  to 50 silver mob drops and selling whatever else the mobs drop."  Uhm.....no.  You're cutting off your nose to spite your face if you choose to do this.

If you just don't want to take the TIME to max crafting professions, you should at LEAST get yourself a couple of good gathering professions to keep the gold rolling in.

Just my opinion, of course.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641
    Originally posted by Sharajat

Originally posted by euangelion

Excuse me, WHAT?  If you replace Primal Mooncloth with any Kara gear, smack yourself hard.

You make a good point, in one manner, and then....that doesn't work with every class. :)  The Master Tailor crafted end game epics are probably some of the very BEST crafted gear in the game, however.....they are bind on pickup, so they can only be used on YOUR character.  And while the Primal Mooncloth MAY be some of the very best for healers, the frozen shadowcloth epic crafted gear for warlocks and frost mages, is mostly replaced by t4, Kara, and definitely by t5 gear.   I think healers also replace that set with higher end dungeon gear, but....those epic tailored sets are definitely nothing to sneeze at for when you first hit 70.

There are also even some other tailor crafted items, like the epic Belt of Blasting and the Spellfire set, which CAN be sold, that are exceptional caster gear.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• Daedalus732Daedalus732 Member Posts: 589

Crafting your own items and gathering resources to sell on the Auction House is probably the best way to make money for a new player. WoW's currency is so inflated, that a newcomer can do very well for himself/herself in a short amount of time.

I assume you will be wanting a mount when you get to level 40 (Or is it 30 now?)? In either case, you will want one, and they are expensive for a low level player. I don't see somone getting that kind of money legitimately without crafting items or gathering resources to sell, assuming someone doesn't just give you a bunch of money.

There are also TONS of little items that are craftable and provide temporary bonus to stats, damage, etc, that never stop being useful for players.

And while you will probably (but not always) find better items in dungeons than you can craft, if you were to never craft or buy a crafted item and hit level 70 in that condition, your gear would be a shoddy patchwork of anything from grey to blue. Crafting helps to fill in those holes in your gear that dungeons don't drop at your level.

So yeah, the idea that crafting is useless is totally contrary to the experience of anyone who has ever undertaken it with any effort. The things you make are going to sell, even if they only sell to the enchanters who need the magical essenses that drop from disenchanting them.

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316

Problem with wow crafting, regents cost more than the final product. 

• Daedalus732Daedalus732 Member Posts: 589
    Originally posted by Aguitha

Problem with wow crafting, regents cost more than the final product. 

That can be a problem, but I think the OP's concern was more about the benefit of crafting at all.