Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Xbox 360 or PS3?

GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,455

I'm thinking of breaking down and finally buying a new console system. I already have a Wii and PS2 but I don't really play them that much. Normally I play sports or fighting type games on a console and use my PC for everything else. I have no intention of playing FPS type games or games that are available for the pc on a console. So since I'm a console noob I thought I'd ask people more knowledgeable then I am on which one is better. I know the 360 is cheaper and has more titles but the PS3 has better graphics (or so I've heard) and comes with a blu-ray player. I'm not too concerned with any online features because I prefer to use my PC for online games, esp. since I believe you have to pay for the service with both consoles, but if one has a better free service then thats something I'd look at as being a bonus. I'm leaning more towards the 360 because of the price and my reluctance to buy anything from Sony but on the other hand I have a good set up waiting for high def gaming and I'd like to get a blu ray one of these days too. Any suggestions or comments? Thanks.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

Comments

• FaxxerFaxxer Member Posts: 3,247

If u want a blu ray player, then Ps3. 

I love mine.

I have it set up with my pc.  I download music and movies on bit torrent, then stream them (or simply copy them over wireless network) to my ps3 and watch them on my 50".

Each console has it's shine moments.   I have a friend with both and he swears the ps3 owns the xbox.

p.s. little big planet is kick total ass... like mario bro's but ten generations better ...the game is the shit.

warhawk is great too for online fps.

i say ps3. for blue ray player alone it has the value to justify the cost.

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    Originally posted by Ginaz

I'm thinking of breaking down and finally buying a new console system. I already have a Wii and PS2 but I don't really play them that much. Normally I play sports or fighting type games on a console and use my PC for everything else. I have no intention of playing FPS type games or games that are available for the pc on a console. So since I'm a console noob I thought I'd ask people more knowledgeable then I am on which one is better. I know the 360 is cheaper and has more titles but the PS3 has better graphics (or so I've heard) and comes with a blu-ray player. I'm not too concerned with any online features because I prefer to use my PC for online games, esp. since I believe you have to pay for the service with both consoles, but if one has a better free service then thats something I'd look at as being a bonus. I'm leaning more towards the 360 because of the price and my reluctance to buy anything from Sony but on the other hand I have a good set up waiting for high def gaming and I'd like to get a blu ray one of these days too. Any suggestions or comments? Thanks.

I suggest the Playstation 3 for you. The online fee on the Xbox360 is 50$ a year, but the Playstation 3's online features are completely free. The Xbox360 is really a "hardcore" gamers console which means you're going to find a lot of FPS games on it. The PS3 is a bit more well rounded in its games library.

Don't worry about the graphics, both are pretty much identical in that area. The Playstation 3 is slightly more powerful so some exclusives will look better on that system than 360 exclusives.

Killzone 2 (PS3 Exlucisve)

Gears of War 2 (360 exclusive)

Resident Evil 5 (Multiplatform)

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

PS3 doesn't use peer to peer.

• DraenorDraenor Member UncommonPosts: 7,918

I have to take exception to the idea that the ps3 has a more well rounded game library...the sheer volume of games available for the 360 in conjunction with all of the titles available over xbox live arcade (though ps3 has its own version of this, I'm unsure as to how extensive the library is) You're sure to find something that you enjoy playing on the 360...even if you only use it as a big harddrive to store all of your classics on.

Your argument is like a two legged dog with an eating disorder...weak and unbalanced.

• WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

• Rikimaru_XRikimaru_X Member UncommonPosts: 11,718

I suggest X360. It has a great library of games for all types of gamers and the Marketplace is great for movies, videos, demos, etc. You can buy Xbox Live by 1 month, 3 months and 12 months. It's worth it though if you like to play online and some things are for gold members to download only.

-In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on Aug/13/08-
    |
    RISING DRAGOON ~AION US ONLINE LEGION for Elyos

• Man1acMan1ac Member Posts: 1,428

If you want an entertaintment system then theres no point asking the question cause the ps3 is far more ideal with its nifty inbuilt blu-ray player.

I don't have both consoles but by the looks of it gaming wise both have some decent games but Microsoft have robbed many exclusives of the playstation and have their own exclusives like Halo, Bioshock, Mass effect, the list is endless. It is pointless to post the red ring of death as Microsft have improved the build of the 360 and it doesn't take a lot of effort to keep and xbox cool. If you have it lying down and you're worried about it getting too hot buy an x-pad lol, they only cost about $20, just make sure you don't place your console in the middle of the room so you can accidently knock it over.

We're all Geniuses. Most of us just don't know it.

• DarcknyghtDarcknyght Member Posts: 127

PS3, so you dont have to deal with Customer Support every damn 2 years because your damn Xbox 360 is giving you the 3 red flashing lights The Red Ring Of Death. My crap xbox 360 just broke two weeks ago and i still havent been able to get it sent in for repair due to incompitant microsoft employees. That is why every game that comes out today i buy it for the PS3 because Xbox is a dead console it has 3 games i play and thats it now. Gears of War, Fable, and if there is another Mass Effect., oh and halo of course. Other then that nothing on the xbox is worth playing that isnt on the PS3 aswell.

• playmoreplaymore Member Posts: 1
    Originally posted by Ginaz

said well......ok

• ABRaquelABRaquel Member UncommonPosts: 541

I would say the PS3, just because almost all 360 exclusives eventually come out for the PC (Bioshock, Mass Effect, etc...)

Even though the new SKUs of the 360 improved its reliability regarding the Red Ring of Death, they still happen, though not as often.

In this day and age there are very little exclusives between both consoles. Eventually what is exclusive for one console comes out later for the other (Bioshock and its future iterations or Eternal Sonata are perfect examples).

Right now the biggest new Franchise (and exclusive) for the 360 is Gears of War and Halo, (which is a very cool game). I would also include Fable 2 but its already been hinted that a PC version will be coming out, the only xbox360 exclusive that will not come out for the PC any more is Gears of War 2 (Halo and Halo 2 are available on the PC, I don't know about Halo 3).

There's also Star Ocean coming out for the 360 but I would not hold much stock in its exclusivity since it might be just a timed exclusive.

PS3 you still have Final Fantasy 13 vs XIII, Killzone 2, Uncharted (sequel), God of War 3, Little Big Planet. These are all exclusives, perhaps FF13vsXIII will be a timed exclusive just like Star Ocean.

Mind you the PS3 exclusives are not released on the PC (at least I can't remember seeing one) while on the 360 some exclusives end up on the PC (if not all).

In the end, usually the only exclusives that each console can muster are the ones that are published/developed in house by Microsoft Games or SCEA, the rest are all timed exclusives.

• xbellx777xbellx777 Member Posts: 716

buy a 360 ps3 is a joke. graphics are the same, 360 is cheaper, the ps3 lost some of their exclusives to the 360 like the final fantasy games, gears of war > resistance and killzone. better online even though you have to pay for it. better controller too

• MyskMysk Member Posts: 982
    Originally posted by Waterlily

I just had to quote this.  Now that's a way to answer.

Personally I own a 360, but I regret having bought this instead of the PS3.

• I have an HDTV and I would like to be able to watch HD movies, but I have no blu-ray player.  The PS3 would have given me that.
    • The majority (though not all) games released today will be on both systems, so the chance of missing out on a title that I really want is very slim
    • The PS3 is a superior multimedia center, supporting a large selection of multimedia formats and it connects easily to the home network for streaming from the PC

On the flip side, the 360 has a lot of sports titles, so if you're into that... to be honest, the OP's post was such a wall of text that I didn't read it.

My vote, though, is the PS3. I have the 360, but I would gladly trade it in for a PS3 to be honest.

Laters.

• ShohadakuShohadaku Member Posts: 581

Personally I would take all that cash it will take for the Console itself and all the extras and invest it into upgrades for my PC.

Upgrading a PC can be usefull for games and so much more.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

I have both consoles and it seems most of the games I buy are on both so I just end up buying cross-platform games on PS3 since I dont have to worry about red ring of death.  They both have great online services like movies, music, etc.  PS3 has more anime though.  The 360 does have Gears of War 2 but PS3 has Killzone 2 and Resistance 2 which to me is both on par with Gears of War 2 in gameplay and graphics, its just a matter of taste.  And now the PS3 has bioshock also but you can get that for PC anyway, you can get Mass Effect on PC too and soon Fable 2 prolly just like part one was ported to PC.  Gears of War 2 is not worth buying a whole console for expecialy since you said you dont care for the online part of it.

And than there is also controls, now im comfortable with both of them for any game and genre but you might like one over the other.

If you like single player JRPGs than 360 would be the choice right now as it has Lost Odyssey, Infinite Undiscovery which btw realy sucks imo cuz I got it and now I wish I didnt waste money on it, and Star Ocean the Last Hope.  Although FF13 is coming for both consoles, the other FF13 which is called Final Fantasy versus 13 is still exclusive to PS3 and I am actualy more excited for that than FF13.

Oh and METAL GEAR SOLID 4 is awsome which comes in with the 80 gig PS3.  Also you might like Little Big Planet which is also a exclusive to PS3.  Uncharted Drakes Fortune is great too.

PS3 does not require online subscription fee and it has a Blu-Ray player which I am very happy about.

Because of PS3s technology it will have a longer life span of this generation of consoles so its more woth it in the long run.  There are also some mmos coming out for it, though I dont if you want to play mmos on consoles in general.  And more exclusives coming in 2009-2010.

So coming from someone who has both consoles im going to say get the PS3.

Originally posted by xbellx777

buy a 360 ps3 is a joke. graphics are the same, 360 is cheaper, the ps3 lost some of their exclusives to the 360 like the final fantasy games, gears of war > resistance and killzone. better online even though you have to pay for it. better controller too

Gears of War 2 will eventualy be ported to PC and prolly with better graphics and extra content just like the first one.

• ValczirValczir Member Posts: 37

I agree with most of the people here: the PS3 is a better value, especially with the free online features and blueray player (since you're less interested in pure gaming).  The PS3 exclusives are truly exclusives (whereas 360 exclusives will eventually be released for Windows), the PS3 really is more powerful than the 360 (people are still experimenting with how to program for it - they really don't know its limits, yet) (keep in mind that I'm not saying PS3 graphics are better right now - I'm saying that they will continue to get better more rapidly than 360 graphics get better), and if you're interested in programming and stuff like that, you can install linux on the PS3 and mess around with programming for the Cell processor (which is a great deal of fun, in my opinion).

Also, I'm curious as to why you're opposed to buying things from Sony.  At least Sony occasionally releases something new.  I mean, look at the Cell processor - Sony and IBM got together and created a processor that works great both for gaming consoles and servers.  Microsoft does what - releases the same operating system every five years or so and just jacks the price up by multiples of five?

I don't know how much you've researched into such issues, but Microsoft really is a terrible company - they just lie better than Sony does.  I'm not going to say that Sony is a better company (certain factions of Sony have done terrible things for the gaming industry - specifically, SOE really screwed over several MMORPGs), but it seems ridiculous to me that you would like Microsoft more than Sony.  There are legitimate reasons to hate them both, so don't save all your hatred for Sony.  Save some of it for Microsoft, too.

*note* I am a linux geek and a heavy supporter of the Free Software Foundation and open source movement, so I am biased to hate Microsoft much more than I hate Sony.  I tried to keep my overarching hatred of Microsoft to a minimum, here, but I'm sure that my post is more anti-Microsoft than it really should be, in a gaming forum.  Please try to ignore those tones and take my post for what it should be.

• ssnautilusssnautilus Member Posts: 373

Well said. I do have the feeling that price cuts are to get rid of old models that have this flaw.

I understand that the above is a common problem - and Microsoft repair centers are idiots to deal with and we end up with $-repairs.

How is Sony PS3 customer service? What warranty does a PS3 come with?

Regarding the PS3 "online" service - what exactly is offered with it? Free games? Upgrades? Does it have Micropayments? Can we go online via our regular home broadband wireless routers?

Also, I played some XBOX360 FPS games and I dont appreciate the fact that the controller cannot actualy be used as a "gun pointer" and I have to use old-xbox controls to target and shoot.

Can the PS3 controller be used to point-aim and shoot instead? (ie I prefer PC mouse targetting to console targetting)

double post!

Originally posted by ABRaquel

Originally posted by ssnautilus

Well said. I do have the feeling that price cuts are to get rid of old models that have this flaw.

I understand that the above is a common problem - and Microsoft repair centers are idiots to deal with and we end up with $-repairs.

Well I've never had to use Sony customer service (I guess that's a good thing), the PS3 comes with a 1yr warranty, although PS3 reliability is extremely good. I read somewhere that only 1% of PS3 fails (although I read this on Gamespot.com).

If you want extra coverage you can always buy an extended warranty from an e-tailer or retailer when you get your PS3.

Regarding the PS3 "online" service - what exactly is offered with it? Free games? Upgrades? Does it have Micropayments? Can we go online via our regular home broadband wireless routers?

Regarding the PS3 online system. Its completely Free. You don't get Free Games, you get Demos (tons of them). Upgrades, I assume you mean Firmware upgrades? If so, Sony releases Firmware upgrades every 1-2 months, they usually include new features or improve upon others (like the ability to shutdown the PS3 automatically after downloading everything you want).

There are also Addons for the Games, some are free others you pay to get (I would say its 50/50).

Another good thing regarding the PS3, its since it has a Hard Drive, games get patched to eliminate bugs and/or add new features.

It doesn't have micropayments like the xbox 360 with the Points. If you see a game or a movie/tv show that you want to purchase, it tells you the price of it, you pay using your credit card and download away. Games that you purchase through the PSN store are playable through all the profiles that you create on your PS3 (I got 2 profiles, one for me and one for my better half, so that we can have your save files seperate, themes, wallpapers, settings, etc...)

ALL PS3s come with WIFI, you don't need to buy a seperate dongle like the xbox 360. All PS3s are ready to connect to the internet anyway you want, WIFI or Ethernet (router is the best option since it would allow you to stream movies, music and photo content from ALL of your computers that are connected to that same router)

Also, I played some XBOX360 FPS games and I dont appreciate the fact that the controller cannot actualy be used as a "gun pointer" and I have to use old-xbox controls to target and shoot.

Can the PS3 controller be used to point-aim and shoot instead? (ie I prefer PC mouse targetting to console targetting)

I don't exactly understand what you mean with gun pointer but, I can tell you that you can connect and USB or Bluetooth Keyboard/Mouse to the PS3 and use it for some games. I know Unreal Tournament 3 for the PS3 allows you to play with a Keyboard and Mouse on the PS3, I don't know about any other games since I haven't tested it.

*Another thing that I would like to add regarding the PS3, which in my view is an awesome bonus. You CAN swap the Hard Drive of the PS3 with another one of a larger capacity. I bought a new Hard Drive from Newegg.com and installed on the PS3, it was a very easy 1, 2, 3 step.

PS3 customer service isn't that great.  It's a large corporation - any large corporation is going to be very strange.  As far as Sony goes, specifically, it looks like the main complaint is about speed of service.  They are very good about getting things fixed with minimum cost to you, but they apparently take a week or two to do so.

The warranty, on the other hand, I have no idea about.

The PSN (PlayStation Network) has free demos and trailers, and an occasional free full game.  They also regularly have free holiday addons for existing games (like Christmas costumes for the main characters in Folklore).  Online play in games like Resistance: Fall of Man, Unreal Tournament III, and so on and so forth is free.  They have plenty of PSN-exclusive games to download, PSN-exclusive digital comic books, a bunch of movies you can buy in HD,

Yep, you can connect your PS3 directly to your home wireless router, no problem.  It actually seems to have a very powerful wireless card built in - it detects networks at greater ranges than most laptops I've tried.

As far as things like mouse targeting go: The PS3 is capable of supporting a mouse and keyboard in games, but very few games support this feature.  Unreal Tournament III is one of the few that do - whenever I play UTIII on my PS3, I'm using my USB keyboard and my Razer Lachesis mouse.

Other than that, you can buy special controllers that kinda resemble mice, but they don't control all that well.  You're better off just getting the game for PC, most of the time.  The PS3 controller works about the same as any other gamepad for FPS controls - decent, but lacking the accuracy of something like a mouse.

*Another thing that I would like to add regarding the PS3, which in my view is an awesome bonus. You CAN swap the Hard Drive of the PS3 with another one of a larger capacity. I bought a new Hard Drive from Newegg.com and installed on the PS3, it was a very easy 1, 2, 3 step.

I just wanted to reply to this part of the post by (the much quicker than me) ABRaquel:

The PS3 is designed to support all kinds of standards.  It uses a standard laptop hard drive (inside of a compartment that is very easy to open), a standard computer power cable, it uses the same connector as the PS2 did for analog output, a standard HDMI interface for digital output, a standard optical jack for optical audio, and Sony even provides the tools for you to install another operating system (usually linux) on it - for free.

We've been moving toward a system where each individual product is owned by the company that made it - you're just renting it from them.  Look at the software licensing agreements, look at the proprietary components in certain computers - things that MUST be bought from the same company you bought your computer from.

I completely agree with you that this is the PS3's best feature - it's moving back to a time when companies actually sold their products, rather than renting them out.  Your PS3 won't be entirely yours to do with as you please (for instance, if you install linux on it, you won't have accelerated 3D graphics, so you can't do things like play 3D linux video games), but it's much more open than any console has been for a very long time.

I think the PS3 has more digital downloads of full games too especialy for the PSP if you have one of those too.

Originally posted by tkreep

I think the PS3 has more digital downloads of full games too especialy for the PSP if you have one of those too.

I'm pretty sure that the OP wouldn't have even bothered to post if he or she already had a PSP.  I mean, I have a PSP, and the amount of interaction between the PSP and PS3 is a pretty big deal.  I can use my PSP to turn my PS3 on over the internet, for crying out loud, and then play a few games with it!

I have gone on the PS Store with my PS3 using my PSP - while I was in class.  It's a very nice thing, to be able to start downloading games and the like without even having to be in the same state as your PS3.

So I'm kinda doubting that the PSP is a factor in the OP's decision - if it were, the question never would have been asked.

(No offense intended - I didn't mean to step on your toes or anything)

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

I would get the PS3 simply because anything good on the XBox is eventually ported to the PC, usually within a year.  It also is usually better on the PC.  Most developers don't question porting XBox360 games to the PC since they run on the same software.  It adds a new user base with a simple port. 

Also with the PS3 you get one of the most powerful processors in the world.  The PS3 are actually being used in super computing.  They will also be able to run script based effects better, yet thier limited memory would prevent them from utilizing the traditional method for graphics.  The approach is different, but the effect could be better.  The system can support more polies, more geometry instances, and more script based shaders.

• ZoOoOZoOoO Member Posts: 93
    Originally posted by Mysk

I just had to quote this.  Now that's a way to answer.

Personally I own a 360, but I regret having bought this instead of the PS3.

• I have an HDTV and I would like to be able to watch HD movies, but I have no blu-ray player.  The PS3 would have given me that.
    • The majority (though not all) games released today will be on both systems, so the chance of missing out on a title that I really want is very slim
    • The PS3 is a superior multimedia center, supporting a large selection of multimedia formats and it connects easily to the home network for streaming from the PC

On the flip side, the 360 has a lot of sports titles, so if you're into that... to be honest, the OP's post was such a wall of text that I didn't read it.

My vote, though, is the PS3. I have the 360, but I would gladly trade it in for a PS3 to be honest.

Laters.

QFT

I did buy a PS3 a few months ago, i was close to buy the 360, but, for every dollar/euro spend , ps3 gives you more back than an 360.

blue-ray, "fanless" system, brilliant multimedia center, wireless, free online game play, no redlights( and this is a big issue), longer life spam, etc etc

i mean, yes, ps3 is more expensive, but, when you really get into consideration every aspect, such statment, is not actually (ps3 more spensive) true.