Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The reason WAR isn't capturing it for alot of people.

124»

Comments

• MampiMampi Member UncommonPosts: 83

Makes me lol so hard when someone compares WoW's graphics to WAR's. One of my pet hates in WoW was the visual style, ugly graphics aimed at attracting the teeangers/children (bright colours/ bouncy models) made me feel like I was playing a disney game. The graphics were ugly when the game first launched and if you've played any of todays games, they're even more hideous now.

War has a visual style aimed more towards adults, still a little cartoony but much more gritty and sinister. Much higher polygon count and classes that you can distinguish endgame. Character models may move a little choppy at times but you get used to it and it keeps the framerate stable in keep seiges.

• bodypassbodypass Member Posts: 770
    Originally posted by Mampi

Makes me lol so hard when someone compares WoW's graphics to WAR's. One of my pet hates in WoW was the visual style, ugly graphics aimed at attracting the teeangers/children (bright colours/ bouncy models) made me feel like I was playing a disney game. The graphics were ugly when the game first launched and if you've played any of todays games, they're even more hideous now.
    War has a visual style aimed more towards adults, still a little cartoony but much more gritty and sinister. Much higher polygon count and classes that you can distinguish endgame. Character models may move a little choppy at times but you get used to it and it keeps the framerate stable in keep seiges.

Well visual style is visual style, but you can't ignore the fact Wow has a better consistent art form. Which of course has nothing to do with pixels.

The red in your text shows why most Wow players are glad to return to their game, because once you compare - in game - you can see which game has the the fluid combat and which game has the choppy one. Your own words...

And video games are still being played as video games not "as choppy (you will be used to eventually) slide shows".

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

Before I start, I want to point out that these are personal statements and I'm not attempting to say what Mythic have done wrong. Whats right or wrong for me differes for others.

I don't dislike WAR but I feel there is something missing. As WoW is used liberally in this thread I may as well use it as a comparison. When I started WoW nearly 4 years ago, if I wasn't working or sleeping I was playing WoW. With WAR, it's a case of play for an hour and then go watch tv, or read a book, yes... I actually read a book since I started palying WAR!! I haven't had time to do that for years...

It took me a while to find a class in WAR, I tried most, got an Eng and WH to 18 before I switched to a DoK and found a class that I liked, although I'm not happy with the healing mechanic, HoTs just don't do it when you got a tank being beaten on by 3 or 4 dps. The classes are not quite right, don't know whats wrong and as I'm not a game designer I'm not going to speculate what needs to be done.

Scenarios are just a zerg fest of run in, die, rinse, repeat... no tactics at all. oRvR is non-existent or just PvE capturing of a keep. Where's no mass open field battles thats are war (not WAR)...

No point bringing crafting into the discussion...

As an MMO. it lacks, I'm pretty sure it will get better and I'll probably come back but for the moment it's not holding my attention enough for me to stay... maybe I need somethign thats not fantasy in my MMO.

• MampiMampi Member UncommonPosts: 83
    Originally posted by bodypass

Well visual style is visual style, but you can't ignore the fact Wow has a better consistent art form. Which of course has nothing to do with pixels.

The red in your text shows why most Wow players are glad to return to their game, because once you compare - in game - you can see which game has the the fluid combat and which game has the choppy one. Your own words...

And video games are still being played as video games not "as choppy (you will be used to eventually) slide shows".

If they're leaving because of that then thats their problem. WoW's graphics are bad, only the gloves, helm boots and shoulders are 3d and characters are limited to 2 special action/spell casting animations per race.

I was hoping they would add a few more attack animations for wotlk but they haven't, heck druids are still using the same cat form and bear form skins as 4years ago (lol).  I'm not sure if you know but the choppy animations are intentional so people can have a smoother framerate in mass pvp. I think mythic learned that from AoC's pvp.

• bodypassbodypass Member Posts: 770

Originally posted by bodypass

If they're leaving because of that then thats their problem. WoW's graphics are bad, only the gloves, helm boots and shoulders are 3d and characters are limited to 2 special action/spell casting animations per race.

I was hoping they would add a few more attack animations for wotlk but they haven't, heck druids are still using the same cat form and bear form skins as 4years ago (lol).  I'm not sure if you know but the choppy animations are intentional so people can have a smoother framerate in mass pvp. I think mythic learned that from AoC's pvp.

yep they learned that allright from AoC.

Listen: Wow's visuals are one of the most renown in computer arts. No choppy animation is ever intentional. You know why War's animations are choppy or clunky and unresponsive like so many people say.

Because they used the same engine as in DAoC, a game 7 years old with ... higher polygons.

That's why they have server lag ... as in DAoC, they have client window dragging ... as in DAoC and server lag when too many people play .... as in DAoC.

In fact they should have used a complete new engine with these kind of graphics, but they didn't ... that's the reason these animations are "choppy".