Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The reason WAR isn't capturing it for alot of people.

Comments

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

You do have to remember that most of the 'alternate' grinding functions available in Wow come after many years of expansions.

WAR is but a baby, and I feel thats the main reason why MMO's fail nowadays,  people cant get past the 'release'

For example, I hated Lotro when it first came out, I was appaling by its 'lack' of..well.. everything.

Now, Lotro is awesome,  but try convincing someone who play for a month after release.. they just dont want to know.

The same is going to be true for ANY new mmo.. I forever hear "ah but when Aion comes out.. when AoC comes out.. When Darkfall comes out... when.. [insert any mmo to come out here]  its going to be completly amazing.  What happens? people have over exagerated expections which will always disapoint.

This is why I never ever say "Im quitting" - people who "quit" mmo's in my eyes are idiots, years later these mmo's are amazing!  -  Try City of Heroes, Vanguard, Eve yes even DDO a year or 2 years later and they are fantastic games, let down only by their (now) small population.

Imagine if you met someone who said to you " Oh yes I tried using a computer about 15 years ago, it was completly awful and I will never by a home PC ever again!"   -  You would think such a person is an idiot because technology progresses, prices drop things get MUCH better..

For some odd reason people never realise this about an MMO.

Try WAR a year later..  I wonder what it will be like then.

• andmillerandmiller Member Posts: 374

While I agree with the theme of this post, I just don't know.  I played WAR.  I think I liked WAR, but in the end, I thought F it, I need to play GTA IV, Fallout 3 & Fable because they are great games, maybe I'll try WAR again in a few months.

While I agree that WoW today is the product of years of polish, I loved WoW from the beginning and played for several years.  It had that "hook" that WAR doesnt' seem to have.

One thing I really don't like for sure, is the customization.   I mean what's the deal with my goddamn staff for my AM having 2 different models for levels 1-20?  Same damn, robes, etc, and don't say I can throw a splash of Brown and Yellow on it and call that customizatio.  I don't know, I'll try again in a few months I guess.......

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Originally posted by Souvec

Originally posted by SaintViktor

PVP centered game is just for the niche crowd who like that sort of thing.
    1. Pve lacks big time. Too easy and PQs are nothing more than killing a mass of mobs for a chance at loot. No depth to the pve, the lore of the game is poorly told and the loot is nothing to brag about.
    2. Faction imbalance is a major problem especially when your game is centered around RVR. Open RVR  is almost non-existant now because of this. Destruction is clearly the dominate faction which steamrolls over Order almost all the time.
    When I played I wasn't expecting a WOW type game but clearly there is no creativity, the classes are done poorly as well as the combat. This game has clearly been way overhyped. Perhaps someday I will return but they really need to do alot of fixing before I even consider coming back to try it.

Yes your right, WAR is a PvP game for a PvP crowd.

1) The lore is presented very well through the PvE quests and the style in which they built it.  If you have honestly read every block of text for every quest, you wouldn't be saying this.  Playing my DoK... I picked up so much on the dynamics of the dark elf society, their Houses and hatred.  Read... thats where the lore is.

2) ORvR is not "non-existant" and if you feel that way your not looking to trying hard enough.  Its not hard to pull together a band of people to go out and start something.  Soon enough people come to fight back.  Just this night I was in a massive battle (one of many) in T2 mind you.  Minimum of a full warband one both sides.  It was fun, though I had my ass handed to me.

The classes are not poorly done, but they would feel that way if you were used to your sterotypical classes.  They made classes interesting and unique, they function differently and have a different feel.  The game was not overhyped, at least not by the company itself.  They made no references to it being the "steak" of MMO's.  Everything on the box was delivered.

They have alot yet to tweak and adjust, but sometimes I get a feeling people just like to bitch because they can, not because they need to.

1. Why do I need to read books just to enjoy the lore of the game ?  I have played Guild Wars for amost 3 years and have not read any books about the game and could probably tell you alot about the lore of the game just by playing it. People who played WOW could probably tell you alot about the lore of that game without even picking up a book either.

2. I played on the Volkmar server which is one of the most populated servers and people quit doing open RVR because of the major imbalance between Destruction vs Order.

3. Since day one especially on these forums all the diehards claimed this to be a WOW killer. That did not happen nor will it ever. Jeff and Paul in their videos claimed this to be fantastic and epic game. Sorry but it didn't feel anything like it at all.

People bitch about the game because they want the game that was promised to them. Heck, I wanted the game to be tremedously fun like alot of people did but unfortunately that did not happen.

• RocklynnRocklynn Member UncommonPosts: 104
    Originally posted by Cryptor

Warhammer has the following grinds
    1. Experience/Levels (quest grinding)
    WAR definetly has this with not only 40 rank lvls but also renown ranks to grind.

2. Money (no need for money really).

Man are you ever wrong here.  Everything in WAR costs money, crafting ingredients, gear ( renown or vendor - both cost money ), mounts but it's all not too bad.  The first money sink that has been here since the start is the cost of owning a keep.  The cost of owning a keep is gigantic !  and the benefits of having one are too many to count.  Infact it's so expensive that our entire guild only has enough money now to hold one for two days.

3. Rep Farming Influence Farming: same as rep, to get better gear.

What do you think renown farming and influence is ?  If you are going to spend all this time typing these things think them thru before you type them.  "Rep & Influence"  or "Renown & Influence"  same thing different name.  The big difference is that WAR offers fantastic public quests to do it in.  Give me a public quest over endless mob killing any day.

4. Honor Renown: for the RR gearz

This is no different then #3, I think you started to run out of ideas right about here.

5. Arena

Scenarios.  Check the official page for guild / player rankings and results.  Jesus did you play this game at all ?

6. Badges

You don't think there are badges in WAR ?  You could not be more wrong.  The difference is that in WAR you get things that you can actually wear on your armor, things that you can show to everyone and everyone knows that they mean something.  Skulls on your armor, enemy heads hanging from your shoulder pads, medals, etc.. etc.. there is 100's.  After this one I was SURE that you never ever played WAR even in beta. 

7. Loots Not real dungeons to farm, and loots from inf and Rr would be farming that.

You are clueless and reading what you write causes me physical pain.  Unlike WOW , Warhammer already has two big dungeons ( by big I mean HUGE ).  Unlike in WOW where I had to wait ages for the Molten Core to even come out WAR has these things allready in the game.  Gundam is great fun and Bastion is amazing.

8. Titles: You can go look for Tome unlocks.

OK, at least we agree on something ;)

9. Proffesion materials proffessions aren't hammered out enough in this game to warrant farming of the mats unless you are utterly bored.

I had to think about this one allot but sure, I agree with you.  I get alot of godo crafting drops all the time and with scavanging there is even more.

in warhammer when you are done with scenarios, and its 1 am and nothing is going on in the server you feel like you just want ot log off.

In Warhammer when there is no scenarios ( battlegrounds ) you have tons of public quests where you can work on a common goal with other people without even having to ask for groups.  There is more but let's stay with this one.

Well, there you go, some comments from someone who is actually playing the game and knows something about it.  Playing for couple of times during your free 30 days and being bored 'couse all your friends from school are playing wow hardly makes for an interesting read.  Let me mention few more things that I think are worth talking about when you are talking about WAR :

1. Public Quests are awensome, even if you are doing them alone and all you can do is part 1 it;s still far superior to just grinding mobs in WOW.

2. WAR is by far more stable game then WOW, it took WOW over a year of patching to get to where WAR was at launch.  Even if the few issues it has for some select people.

3. Clasess in WAR are so much cooler then most in WOW.  This is something really big that many people don't talk about - each class in WAR has a very different mechanic and you really feel different when playing each one.  It's a HUGE difference in how they approached differences in clasess.

There is so much more to this game that I just can't mention now 'couse I have to go to work in 5 hours.  But this is a good start I think.

Amen! /agree

www.rocklynn.se

• LizanteLizante Member Posts: 182
    Originally posted by Pheace

I would love a post apocalyptic MMO (fallout!) but the problem with most non fantasy MMO's is the ranged weaponry.... which .. while typing it sounds like flawed logic since we have plenty of ranged dps in fantasy mmo's ... Hmmmmmmm

If you keep up with our MMO hobby, you'll see a number of very promising NON-FANTASY MMOs currently in development and due for release between early 2009 and late 2010.

Here's a few (there are others) for your perusal:

StarGate Worlds; Star Wars: The Old Republic; Star Trek Online; Earthrise; Fallen Earth.

Most already have web sites and, even with release for some of them years away, a huge fan base following.  Check them out! :)

• randomtrandomt Member UncommonPosts: 1,220

WAR was designed around pvp, and thats not everyone's cup of tea, so of course many people who buy it due to hype/peer pressure will find that it is not the right kind of game for them and move on, and thats just fine. If you dont enjoy pvp, chances are the pve stuff in the game wont be enough to satisfy you compared to other, more pve-centric games.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Its not DAOC 2.  it's not even close to DAOC2 in terms of pvp combat mechanics, and the pve is actually less fun.  Also, its more of a "game" while DAOC felt more like a world.

That's the reason WAR isn't capturing it for me anyways.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• PangaeaPangaea Member Posts: 434

WAR definetly has this with not only 40 rank lvls but also renown ranks to grind.
     I know.. I mentioned that in 4. So why are you bringing that up here. I am seperating regular ranks from renown already.

Man are you ever wrong here.  Everything in WAR costs money, crafting ingredients, gear ( renown or vendor - both cost money ), mounts but it's all not too bad.  The first money sink that has been here since the start is the cost of owning a keep.  The cost of owning a keep is gigantic !  and the benefits of having one are too many to count.  Infact it's so expensive that our entire guild only has enough money now to hold one for two days
    FIRST.. if you ever played the game you can get crafting, ingredients, gear, and mounts without FARMING MONEY. Keep costs are HIGH yes.. but you don't need ot FARM money for the keep. You have TAXES you take 300+ people at 30% they can do thier every day activities and still pay for that keep. 

What do you think renown farming and influence is ?  If you are going to spend all this time typing these things think them thru before you type them.  "Rep & Influence"  or "Renown & Influence"  same thing different name.  The big difference is that WAR offers fantastic public quests to do it in.  Give me a public quest over endless mob killing any day.
    Influence in WAR is the closest to REP in WOW. I assume you have played both. They have levels of favor with certain factions that you can get special gear from so I put that in the same catagory I nitched REP and put INF.. since they are the same.. this is somethign you CAN farm in War.. are you not reading?

This is no different then #3, I think you started to run out of ideas right about here.
    Wait.. are you saying that RENOWN is the same as INFLUENCE? #3 Farm Influence #4 Farm Renown, #1 Farm Regular Ranks..  WHY are you meshing all these together??/ ahh you war Fanbois always sensitive flowers when it comes to this./

5. Arena

Scenarios.  Check the official page for guild / player rankings and results.  Jesus did you play this game at all ?
    NO. Scenarios are BATTLEGROUNDS wich I mentioned in #4, scenarios and renown is similar to Battle grounds and honor. There is No equivilent to Arenas in WAR.  Quit making this shit up.

6. Badges

You don't think there are badges in WAR ?  You could not be more wrong.  The difference is that in WAR you get things that you can actually wear on your armor, things that you can show to everyone and everyone knows that they mean something.  Skulls on your armor, enemy heads hanging from your shoulder pads, medals, etc.. etc.. there is 100's.  After this one I was SURE that you never ever played WAR even in beta. 
    I think you are confused . when I say badges I am refering to ITEMS that you can trade in for GEAR, Crafting mats, and weapons.. all sorts of things. You are talking about items that you can wear as trophys.. These are TWO DIFFERENT things. badges aren't things you wear.. they are tokens of value to trade for gear. Trophies are not.. so don't combine the ideas.

7. Loots Not real dungeons to farm, and loots from inf and Rr would be farming that.

You are clueless and reading what you write causes me physical pain.  Unlike WOW , Warhammer already has two big dungeons ( by big I mean HUGE ).  Unlike in WOW where I had to wait ages for the Molten Core to even come out WAR has these things allready in the game.  Gundam is great fun and Bastion is amazing.
    These dungeons aren't just FARMABLE. it isn't like you have groups lining up to get to these amazing dungeon runs. the loot in these dungeons aren't WORTH farming. 

9. Proffesion materials proffessions aren't hammered out enough in this game to warrant farming of the mats unless you are utterly bored.

I had to think about this one allot but sure, I agree with you.  I get alot of godo crafting drops all the time and with scavanging there is even more.

in warhammer when you are done with scenarios, and its 1 am and nothing is going on in the server you feel like you just want ot log off.

In Warhammer when there is no scenarios ( battlegrounds ) you have tons of public quests where you can work on a common goal with other people without even having to ask for groups.  There is more but let's stay with this one.
     Again at 1am, there is not enough people to do a public quest with.. I have had 4-5 interested people one time.. but they didn't need MY particular chapter, or my zone. So they have no need to do it. The place is a ghost town. I take it you are not in T4 yet? it was bad in t3 and worse in T4.. T2 was good.. T2 was playable.. and T1 there were people everywhere.

Well, there you go, some comments from someone who is actually playing the game and knows something about it.  Playing for couple of times during your free 30 days and being bored 'couse all your friends from school are playing wow hardly makes for an interesting read. I am 33 years old have a level 19 WP, and a 29 IB, if you read my signature you would know what you are saying is just an overzealous fan boi response. Are you in T4 yet?  Let me mention few more things that I think are worth talking about when you are talking about WAR :

1. Public Quests are awensome, even if you are doing them alone and all you can do is part 1 it;s still far superior to just grinding mobs in WOW.

How.. you are targetting a mob and kil them down. how is this far SUPERIOR?
    2. WAR is by far more stable game then WOW, it took WOW over a year of patching to get to where WAR was at launch.  Even if the few issues it has for some select people.

If you are talking about on launch then yes.. As WOW stands right now.. it is Rock solid.. i dont' see forums on wow riddles with graphic glitches, CTDs. But for war.. i see that all the time.
    3. Clasess in WAR are so much cooler then most in WOW.  This is something really big that many people don't talk about - each class in WAR has a very different mechanic and you really feel different when playing each one.  It's a HUGE difference in how they approached differences in clasess.

True. The classes are don differently from each other and they are very different to play. this is an advantage war has. But in a game where the population is dwindling.. the game is becoming more and more boring. So COOL classes will only get you so far.

There is so much more to this game that I just can't mention now 'couse I have to go to work in 5 hours.  But this is a good start I think.
     Um.. is was a good attempt.. but I can see past your BS.. I played the game .. and have been for awhile and my guild has over 200+ members and I run my own guild site I am on ALOT more than you woudl think and I still find this game boring.

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012
    Originally posted by Pangaea

I know.. I mentioned that in 4. So why are you bringing that up here. I am seperating regular ranks from renown already.

Man are you ever wrong here.  Everything in WAR costs money, crafting ingredients, gear ( renown or vendor - both cost money ), mounts but it's all not too bad.  The first money sink that has been here since the start is the cost of owning a keep.  The cost of owning a keep is gigantic !  and the benefits of having one are too many to count.  Infact it's so expensive that our entire guild only has enough money now to hold one for two days
    FIRST.. if you ever played the game you can get crafting, ingredients, gear, and mounts without FARMING MONEY. Keep costs are HIGH yes.. but you don't need ot FARM money for the keep. You have TAXES you take 300+ people at 30% they can do thier every day activities and still pay for that keep. 

Influence in WAR is the closest to REP in WOW. I assume you have played both. They have levels of favor with certain factions that you can get special gear from so I put that in the same catagory I nitched REP and put INF.. since they are the same.. this is somethign you CAN farm in War.. are you not reading?

Wait.. are you saying that RENOWN is the same as INFLUENCE? #3 Farm Influence #4 Farm Renown, #1 Farm Regular Ranks..  WHY are you meshing all these together??/ ahh you war Fanbois always sensitive flowers when it comes to this./

5. Arena

NO. Scenarios are BATTLEGROUNDS wich I mentioned in #4, scenarios and renown is similar to Battle grounds and honor. There is No equivilent to Arenas in WAR.  Quit making this shit up.

6. Badges

I think you are confused . when I say badges I am refering to ITEMS that you can trade in for GEAR, Crafting mats, and weapons.. all sorts of things. You are talking about items that you can wear as trophys.. These are TWO DIFFERENT things. badges aren't things you wear.. they are tokens of value to trade for gear. Trophies are not.. so don't combine the ideas.

These dungeons aren't just FARMABLE. it isn't like you have groups lining up to get to these amazing dungeon runs. the loot in these dungeons aren't WORTH farming. 

Again at 1am, there is not enough people to do a public quest with.. I have had 4-5 interested people one time.. but they didn't need MY particular chapter, or my zone. So they have no need to do it. The place is a ghost town. I take it you are not in T4 yet? it was bad in t3 and worse in T4.. T2 was good.. T2 was playable.. and T1 there were people everywhere.

Well, there you go, some comments from someone who is actually playing the game and knows something about it.  Playing for couple of times during your free 30 days and being bored 'couse all your friends from school are playing wow hardly makes for an interesting read. I am 33 years old have a level 19 WP, and a 29 IB, if you read my signature you would know what you are saying is just an overzealous fan boi response. Are you in T4 yet?  Let me mention few more things that I think are worth talking about when you are talking about WAR :

How.. you are targetting a mob and kil them down. how is this far SUPERIOR?

If you are talking about on launch then yes.. As WOW stands right now.. it is Rock solid.. i dont' see forums on wow riddles with graphic glitches, CTDs. But for war.. i see that all the time.

True. The classes are don differently from each other and they are very different to play. this is an advantage war has. But in a game where the population is dwindling.. the game is becoming more and more boring. So COOL classes will only get you so far.

Um.. is was a good attempt.. but I can see past your BS.. I played the game .. and have been for awhile and my guild has over 200+ members and I run my own guild site I am on ALOT more than you woudl think and I still find this game boring.

You DO know you are comparing game that has been out for almost 5 years, had atleast 12 content patches (mini expansions) and one expansion to game that has came out month ago.

I played WoW from launch day...it had remarkably less content than WAR till months past release.

Its as fair as saying Everquest 1 is way superior to WoW because it has like 8 times more content (REGARDLESS of the fact EQ1 has had 9+ expansions and WoW just one)

Originally posted by TheHavok

Ok.. lets make one thing clear. Every MMO is goign to have a grind at some point.
    UO had skills you had to grind, Everquest had levels, EQ2, FFXI, Asherons call,  WOW, everything has a grind in it to some degree cause its the simplest way to reward work and progression.
    The thing with War is.. I noticed is .. it not only becomes GRINDY it doen'st have a wide selection of Grind.
    And its already stated that the masses dont' mind grinding, as long as when they get tired of it they can do something different.
    Lets take the most populat Game for instance. how many things can you grind.

Experience/Levels (quest grinding)
    Money (mote farming)
    Rep Farming: you can farm up to 10 different reps with 10 different things to collect (dailys, necklaces, beads, marks, ect)
    Honor: you can farm those BGS
    Arena: You can farm those Arenas
    Badges: HEROICS ALL DAY LONG.
    LOOTS: lets start raiding 10 man +
    Titles: Lets finish those attunement quests anyways I want that TITLE
    Proffesion materials: SOO much crafting in this game, enchants, ore, mining, mmmm, need more hebs, potions, lets get it all....

You get the point.
    WoW is a major grind.. BUT it gives players soo many different grinds they never get bored of it as quick.. and when they do .. a new ilse is released, a new dungeon comes out, a new profession or expansion hits. They are keeping that Carrot on the end of the stick at all times. and NO killing Gahzrilla will not get you that carrot.

Money (no need for money really)
    Rep Farming Influence Farming:  same as rep, to get better gear.
    Honor Renown: for the RR gearz
    Arena
    Badges
    Loots Not real dungeons to farm, and loots from inf and Rr would be farming that.
    Titles: You can go look for Tome unlocks.
    Proffesion materials proffessions aren't hammered out enough in this game to warrant farming of the mats unless you are utterly bored.

Wow has 9 ways to grind
    War has 4 : And only 2 in war are actually 1/2 way fun.

When people are done with BGs in wow they can go get mats, honor, rep, any keep thier little grinding minds busy.
    NO desire to stay.

This doens't apply to all of you .. but to most of you I am sure I got it right.
    PS: Darkfall will be a grind too. I garantee I will see most of you standin by a practive dummy or a node, or something.. Dinging away at it to up your skill . For hours. just as they did in UO. Nothing the the last 10 years made that mechanic any better.

While I agree with many things the OP says, I think the game just needs to add more content and polish to keep attracting players.  Also the list of grinds isn't 100% accurate.

2. Money is extremely important simple because of keep cost.  It cost a lot of money to hold onto keeps, and keeps give you a ton of guild experience.

Keeps are expensive cause they expect.

They are intended for larger guilds of course .. the more members the more tax can bring in to hold it. if you are a sub 100 member guild trying to hold a keep you are going to kill your bank.

6. There are no "badges" per say, but there are random dropped items which contribute to the creation of unique items.  These are random drops in scenarios.  Its similar to completing dark moon faire decks in wow.

I would catagorize all this as world drop epics/blues since it isnt' something you can FARM. They are not common enough to go look for them.. Badges you can get on any heroic boss.

7. People are done with bastion stairs and are raiding lost vale where the epic loot is dropping.  Read the pve forum on warhammeralliance and you'll see the raiders discussing strats and loot drops.  Raiding is there.

There are dungeons yes. But I am talking ab out grinding.. you can't really grind them. Not like the DOZENS of dungeons in other games you can grind.

8. While crafting in this game is nothing to brag about, having maxed out your profession is definitely a huge bonus. Take talisman crafting for instance, you are able to get +15 gems.  That's HUGE.

While I recently quit the game for my own reasons, I understand that the game isn't as terribad as people make it out to be.

Ohh no.. its not bad.. i am still playing and paying for it LOL

Originally posted by Pheace

I would love a post apocalyptic MMO (fallout!) but the problem with most non fantasy MMO's is the ranged weaponry.... which .. while typing it sounds like flawed logic since we have plenty of ranged dps in fantasy mmo's ... Hmmmmmmm

Fallen Earth looks to be a promising post ap world

Originally posted by redOrc

My Dear OP, You are very wrong.
    While there are many who enjoy the PVE grind (you can grind 100 kind of mushrooms in MapleStory, no need to pay for WOW).
    There are many more who are interested in an RPG PVP game.
    WOW, due to the fact that you need to PVE grind, does not fit our need, and we are waiting for a good new one. WAR can fit those needs once they polish it abit more.

I hear you .. the PVP in war is much more fun than it is in WOW.. BUT. at end game.

When all you have is scenarios and that same city seige. you wil get bored fast.

Influence will mean nothing when you have better gear, dungeon gear wont be as good as the higher renown rr gear.. so the only thing you can do is the same 2 things over and over. that is goign to get old.. trust me.( at least for the majority of the players)

Originally posted by kishe

To my knoweledge WoW didnt have BG rewards till several months AFTER release..also WoW didnt have but 3-4 dungeons till several months AFTER release.

Arenas etc didnt come out till AFTER second expansion.

WAR has been out only for a month.

Yes.. true. but we can't compare what somethign was years ago.

As it stands war entered a market where the king of the hill DOES HAVE all that.

i am not saying War wont get better.. i am saying in its current state. it is getting very boring.

that is all.

Originally posted by kishe

Originally posted by lorndarken

Originally posted by Lizante

Bah.  WAR is PvP.  Arguably the BEST PvP of any MMO to date.
    The rest really doesn't matter.  Get to max level ASAP (every MMO player understands that!) then is PvP, baby!  
    It's ALL about PvP! :)

or lack there of, wheres the rvr again ?  its that away ------------------------->  oh okay , thanks !!

Just wait till enough people reach T4 and deside they want a keep for their guild.

Ohh we have to wait? Why didn't anyone say so. I am in T4 already.. and T3 and T4 are empty for the most part.. there are the occasional "everyone get together and fight" but not regularly enough to keep the weeknights going.

Originally posted by Spamalot345

For the OP. WTH is your point?
    You are tired of grinding?
    WoW is a better game to grind in than WAR?
    Why not post this whinge in the WoW forums, where at least it will look more like a compliment to WoW and it's multitudinous options for grinding.
    You add nothing.
    You say nothing.
    Here's a thought. Stop playing for the grind. Play for fun, instead.

You have missed the point of my thread.

I am giving a reason why peopel are getting bored with War alot sooner than lets say.. other competing MMOS.

it goes with more than just WoW.. LOTRO, EQ2, EQ, FFXI, all those kept thier players MUCH longer enthralled cause of thier multiple layers of things to do.

War seems to have 4 things to really do.

Scenarios (wich is what everyone is doing)

Open RVR lakes (on high hours you can catch a keep being attacked otherwise get a group and look for trouble)

Questing (same ole same ole)

Lore searching can be fun if you dont' want ot PVP. or scenarios aren't popping)

Originally posted by sadeyx

You do have to remember that most of the 'alternate' grinding functions available in Wow come after many years of expansions.
    WAR is but a baby, and I feel thats the main reason why MMO's fail nowadays,  people cant get past the 'release'
    For example, I hated Lotro when it first came out, I was appaling by its 'lack' of..well.. everything.
    Now, Lotro is awesome,  but try convincing someone who play for a month after release.. they just dont want to know.
    The same is going to be true for ANY new mmo.. I forever hear "ah but when Aion comes out.. when AoC comes out.. When Darkfall comes out... when.. [insert any mmo to come out here]  its going to be completly amazing.  What happens? people have over exagerated expections which will always disapoint.
    This is why I never ever say "Im quitting" - people who "quit" mmo's in my eyes are idiots, years later these mmo's are amazing!  -  Try City of Heroes, Vanguard, Eve yes even DDO a year or 2 years later and they are fantastic games, let down only by their (now) small population.
    Imagine if you met someone who said to you " Oh yes I tried using a computer about 15 years ago, it was completly awful and I will never by a home PC ever again!"   -  You would think such a person is an idiot because technology progresses, prices drop things get MUCH better..

is it OK to cancel your subscription then join again in 2 years? cause that is what most people say they are doing.

But guess what.. in 2 years.. there will be whole new MMOS out to try and people aren't going to want to come back.

Origin
    You DO know you are comparing game that has been out for almost 5 years, had atleast 12 content patches (mini expansions) and one expansion to game that has came out month ago.

I played WoW from launch day...it had remarkably less content than WAR till months past release.

Its as fair as saying Everquest 1 is way superior to WoW because it has like 8 times more content (REGARDLESS of the fact EQ1 has had 9+ expansions and WoW just one)

well of course. Its still a compeditor.

If you like going to Magic Mountain. and I open a new amusment part that had 1 roller coaster.. and was like dude.. stop going to magic mountain and come to my roller coaster.. and you were like OHH OK.

Just because you have one roller coaster and a POTENTIAL to have more in the future.. it isn't enough to get people to come over.

Sure Magic Mountain Added 15 coasters since it opened  but as it stands it HAS more.

And when you enter a field where competition has MORe than you.. you are goign to have a problem

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834
    Originally posted by Triggger

The rest really doesn't matter.  Get to max level ASAP (every MMO player understands that!) then is PvP, baby!  

If you think WAR is the best PVP game to date then you are deluded.

Well they did say "arguably" which imho there would be plenty to argue with in that statement.

By the way in DAoC you know Mythics game that didn't suck... at least half the pop never got to max level because the battle grounds (at least thid and molv) were the place to be.  Oddly ever PvP player KNEW THAT.

Oh and it was all about the PvP... and NOT at all about getting to max level.. max level pvp sucked... oddly in WAR pretty much pvp at every level sucks.

• LizanteLizante Member Posts: 182
    Originally posted by Antarious

Originally posted by Triggger

If you think WAR is the best PVP game to date then you are deluded.

Well they did say "arguably" which imho there would be plenty to argue with in that statement.

By the way in DAoC you know Mythics game that didn't suck... at least half the pop never got to max level because the battle grounds (at least thid and molv) were the place to be.  Oddly ever PvP player KNEW THAT.

Oh and it was all about the PvP... and NOT at all about getting to max level.. max level pvp sucked... oddly in WAR pretty much pvp at every level sucks.

Bah -- I quit DAOC after spending months beating my head against the wall testing the ToA expansion and realizing that Mythic was too proud of their baby so they wouldn't listen to me about how the Trials of Atlantis  Expansion sucked farts out dead monkeys.

Then, sure enough, not long after the player base did an OMG on ToA,  the majority of the original crowd in DAOC bailed -- some went to WoW, the smart ones didn't :P

Let me tell you about delusion (you with the 3 G's in your name).  Delusion is thinking you know much about PvP because right now, at this point in our hobby, there is no MMO with better "in your face" (melee) PvP than WAR.   Of course, that will change in 2009.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Take everything you just said and apply it to the game developers and see how that makes not only good business sense, but also good customer service. 

Imagine what would happen if game developers just stopped releasing games that are not ready for the market and took that extra year to release the amazing game in the first place.  Oh my God, people might actually stick around and write posts praising the game.

Who is the idiot, the company that releases early and loses a large chunk of their player base forever or people who give that company money for a product and are content with waiting years for it to become worthy of the purchase price. 

I'm speaking in general terms here, not specifically about Warhammer.

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

Well put Sadeyx..

One thing, people are very impatient, which can be a 2 way street and understandable, but we got alot of Drama Queens when it comes to mmo gaming now. More than we used too..

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641
    Originally posted by markoraos

Yet another clueless troll post. Nothing to see here folks move along...

ROFL

Yet another "fanboi" post response.  Nothing to see here folks move along...

(I use the word "fanboi" to make a point here...)

So he's a troll because he doesn't agree with you?  When will you people grow up and just accept that not everyone is going to love your precious game?  The OP did not just post "WAR SUCKS" and call that a post.  He gave very specific and detailed reasons why it doesn't appeal to SOME people.  And crazy as it may SEEM to you....there are quite a few of us who played that agree with his assessment.  Just because YOU don't, does not make him a "troll."

I sure wish the forumites on MMORPG.com would learn the meaning of the words "troll" and "fanboi" because they've been entirely re-defined on this site from their original forum posting meaning. 

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• YeeboYeebo Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

Post deleted.

I don't want to write this, and you don't want to read it. But now it's too late for both of us.

• kawlkjakawlkja Member Posts: 352

Ok.. lets make one thing clear. Every MMO is goign to have a grind at some point.
    UO had skills you had to grind, Everquest had levels, EQ2, FFXI, Asherons call,  WOW, everything has a grind in it to some degree cause its the simplest way to reward work and progression.
    The thing with War is.. I noticed is .. it not only becomes GRINDY it doen'st have a wide selection of Grind.
    And its already stated that the masses dont' mind grinding, as long as when they get tired of it they can do something different.
    Lets take the most populat Game for instance. how many things can you grind.

Money (mote farming)
    Rep Farming: you can farm up to 10 different reps with 10 different things to collect (dailys, necklaces, beads, marks, ect)
    Honor: you can farm those BGS
    Arena: You can farm those Arenas
    Badges: HEROICS ALL DAY LONG.
    LOOTS: lets start raiding 10 man +
    Titles: Lets finish those attunement quests anyways I want that TITLE
    Proffesion materials: SOO much crafting in this game, enchants, ore, mining, mmmm, need more hebs, potions, lets get it all....

You get the point.
    WoW is a major grind.. BUT it gives players soo many different grinds they never get bored of it as quick.. and when they do .. a new ilse is released, a new dungeon comes out, a new profession or expansion hits. They are keeping that Carrot on the end of the stick at all times. and NO killing Gahzrilla will not get you that carrot.

Money (no need for money really)
    Rep Farming Influence Farming:  same as rep, to get better gear.
    Honor Renown: for the RR gearz
    Arena
    Badges
    Loots Not real dungeons to farm, and loots from inf and Rr would be farming that.
    Titles: You can go look for Tome unlocks.
    Proffesion materials proffessions aren't hammered out enough in this game to warrant farming of the mats unless you are utterly bored.

Wow has 9 ways to grind
    War has 4 : And only 2 in war are actually 1/2 way fun.

When people are done with BGs in wow they can go get mats, honor, rep, any keep thier little grinding minds busy.
    NO desire to stay.

This doens't apply to all of you .. but to most of you I am sure I got it right.
    PS: Darkfall will be a grind too. I garantee I will see most of you standin by a practive dummy or a node, or something.. Dinging away at it to up your skill . For hours. just as they did in UO. Nothing the the last 10 years made that mechanic any better.

I dont even play WAR, but I have played WoW since beta. I dont understand why everybody compares new games to WoW. Considering WoW is 4 years old and has had plenty of time to get many things going. Alot of problems that I see here.

1. Experience/Levels (quest grinding as i get is in both games as you stated)

2. Money (mote farming which was added in TBC, before it was essence farming. Im sure WAR has plenty of cash opportunities?

3. Rep Farming: you can farm up to 10 different reps with 10 different things to collect (dailys, necklaces, beads, marks, ect. Funny thing is none of this really had any affect at release.)

4. Honor: you can farm those BGS  (was not in WoW at release for quite some time, war started with RvR as I have read)

5. Arena: You can farm those Arenas (more BC material completly understandable it would not be introduced into war if at all at release.)

6. Badges: HEROICS ALL DAY LONG. (Overrated material really, and again BC material)

7. LOOTS: lets start raiding 10 man + (One thing wow had advantage on at start. But seriously, does every MMO that releases have to use the instances system? I find it rather boring.)

8. Titles: Lets finish those attunement quests anyways I want that TITLE (Also more so recent material, LOTRO had it at start I think. Hardly means WAR should follow.)

9. Titles: Lets finish those attunement quests anyways I want that TITLE  ( dont know enough about crafting in WAR to comment on it)

Basically what im getting to, is why compare this game to WoW? TBH I would rather have a new mmo that does not try to implement all of WoWs features (LOL SWG). Now implementing new and unique features is what a new game is all about. And before "then why dont you play WAR" not interested in another Orc, Elf fantasy game.

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581
    Originally posted by HDomni  

I dont even play WAR, but I have played WoW since beta. I dont understand why everybody compares new games to WoW. Considering WoW is 4 years old and has had plenty of time to get many things going. Alot of problems that I see here.

Why do people compare to WoW? Because the new games coming out is going to be in competition against the best, and you always compare against the best. WoW sub numbers don't lie, as much as many players here hate it.

True that WoW have 4 years to get it polish, but the games coming out is not in competition against WoW which is 4 years ago, but current WoW! If a player or Dev thinks comparing with current WoW is not fare, than  might as well compare to U.O. !!!????

Its the excuse that fanbois and some dev gives us that the game is just release that thus can be loaded with bugs, nothing creative, half-ars content etc...

I thought we already learn from the lesson with VG few years ago that we players should not support the company which gives us incomplete product.......

i think ive side track.....

RIP Orc Choppa