Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

/xp off

2»

Comments

• maddbomber83maddbomber83 Member Posts: 422

They just need to put in a mentor system like EQ2 but with better scailing.

In open RVR rather than make people chickens, just give them a bolster like skill that prevents them from using abilities above a level, and drops thier stats, health and power.

• LuckyCurseLuckyCurse Member Posts: 394
    Originally posted by madstoog                                                                                                                               First paragraph you said is just dumb reply.
    Its not a rush to end game it's called gaining experience as you fight with your character.
    I stay with my point people can disagree but xp toggle will never happen so moan all you want.
    p.s. about your friends, tell me, why the fuck did u roll on an open RvR, you sit here and complain about helping low level guildies.. i help low level guildies on my CORE sever, but not in open RvR because thats unfair and i obviously get chicken debuff as im level 29.
    Pointless post, havnt even got your facts straight really.
    Flame me fuck it i don't care, you idea is shit and your post is pointless.

Actually, that first paragraph was pure genius.  Let me break it down for you:  You don't get to tell me how to play.  I decide how I play.   Get it now?  

XP Toggle happened on DAoC, it could happen for WAR, but it will probably be a year or more before they allow for it.  I understand why they would wait.  Let things shake down, get characters spread out so war is everywhere... just like the tag line.  I'm okay with that.  I just want it now, rather than later because it deals with my play style and how my friends play (slowly).

When speaking of oRvR, people aren't talking about server type.  They are referring to RvR lakes, which distinguishes them from scenarios.  That is oRvR.  I play on a CORE server.  Magnus.  The terminology isn't set in stone as of yet because the game is fairly new.  No big deal.

To everyone else in this thread with healthy criticism, I appreciate it.  To those who agree, I say send the idea in while you're logged in.  Let's get them thinking about it.  

Later all,

- LC 

• GruntiesGrunties Member Posts: 859

This was brought up during beta and shot down many times. Key reason was, anti-twinking sentiments. It was left out specifically to stop twinks. My recommendation to anyone that wants this is you will need to accomplish two things in your feedback to Mythic:

1) Make a convincing argument of why you arent looking to twink

2) Include in your suggestion designs that will allow you to do what you want but not allow twinking abuse to occur under any circumstances.

For example "/xp off only usuable when you are at the bottom or middle of the tier and not the top". That way people can keep playing with their friends, without abusing the twink power advantage that comes with top of the tier equipment and rewards.

There is nothing new about the /xp off suggestion, it has been hashed and rehashed a million times. To think that this will 'get them thinking about it' as if they havent already done so is rather shortsighted but I'm not going to tell you how to spend your time. Take the advice or leave it.

Waiting for: A skill-based MMO with Freedom and Consequence.
    Woe to thee, the pierce-ed.

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

One good reason to block XP is that the T1 and T2 scenarios and RvR lakes are better than T4 in some people's opinion. I feel sorry for players who think the only fun in the game is to be had at endgame.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• eq2jseq2js Member Posts: 94

if there was a way to turn your XP off, you would get lots of rank 11/21/31 players in RvR that would kill everyone else, especially on ORvR servers where you do not get a bolster buff in RvR lakes

• srasmsrasm Member UncommonPosts: 42

There have been two main reasons for having an XP OFF feature:

- Don't want to pass PvE content

- Get Reknown rank closer to regular rank

So why not just disable XP OFF for anyone, if he is PvP flagged and has a Reknown rank "close enough" (still to be defined)  to his regular rank ?

That would allow him to both catch up in Reknown Rank and enjoy PvE without having to look at his experience bar. But noone could stay forever at rank 11/21/31 in PvP.

• Random_mageRandom_mage Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

He said he wanted /xp off feature SOLEY for RvR.  So.. Umm.. yeah.

Currently playing Real Life..

http://i36.tinypic.com/2uyod3k.gif

For all your stalking needs..
    http://www.plurk.com/Random_

• peaquoppeaquop Member Posts: 53
    Originally posted by LuckyCurse

I'm tired of not having the ability to turn experience off.  Sometimes I just want to stay in a tier (usually 1, recently 2) and just have fun.  I'm not in a huge rush to max out my character's levels, and I'm finding that I'm gaining experience too fast in massive oRvR combat.  I wouldn't mind leaving a character or two in Tier 1 and 2 to play along with friends and assist lowbies new to the guild.  I realize that Mythic wants us to fill up the upper Tier areas with action, but I've got characters heading that way -- I don't need all of them in Tier 4, only one or two.  I hope that some day Mythic will give us this option. 
    A secondary reason for this option would be to catch up my Renown Rank on those few occasions when I PvE and my level gets a bit ahead.  Would be nice to gain Renown without worry of moving out of a tier that I'm enjoying.  
    Mythic, you did this for DAoC, where is the love?
    My Two Cents,
    - LC

How about installing this option to cut off  XP, and, umm......., have the player remain a permanent level 8.

It seems it would be more than fair considering you can still use your training abilities up to 11, or the lower standard of other tiers he would be in.

• TheSheikhTheSheikh Member Posts: 804
    Originally posted by fiontar

Originally posted by TheSheikh

Twink prevention, nothing more and nothing less.
    Rank 11 player with a renown rank of 80, thats a great fucking idea.....

You can't have a Realm Rank higher than your Battle Rank until you hit BR 40.

Well well, you learn something new every day.

STOP WHINING!

• DouhkDouhk Member Posts: 1,019

Originally posted by madstoog

Xp toggle is stupid, play the game and get to the end game.
    This feature would just result in people sticking to the highest level for the tiers, 11, 21 and 31 and killing any newbies in seconds that come along because they will be able to max out their gear.
    Why play the game if u dont want to advance?
    get to level 40 and play, trust me lvl 40 will be far more entertaining than level 11... unless your one of those people who enjoy ease mode.

Cool, I was hoping to find someone who would pay my $15/month.  Oh wait, you're not going to? Then don't tell me how to enjoy the game. 

I've enjoyed every level so far, and sometimes my friends are left behind due to less playtime or less fortune in playing.  I would like to shut off xp and stick around with them.  Or, as mentioned, help out a lowbie new to the guild.  Or, just stick around and continue enjoying Sea of Claws, or Troll Country, or High Pass, or wherever I happen to be.    Point being, why rush to end game? I see zero point if you're enjoying yourself. 

I've given valid reasons for an xp toggle, you've given your opinion of my character -- apparently I'm an unskilled newb killer with uber equipment (There is so little difference in equipment at lower levels that we know this can't be true).

I'm going to give you a piece of advice:  Don't believe everything you think.  And definitely feel free to not share it.  

- LC   

I don't really agree with everything that the poster you responded to was saying, but the statement I underlined may prove to be a valid point. It could be problematic making an /xp toggle.

And second, you do not make the majority. I'm not saying that your idea of how to play the game is wrong; there are times myself where I simply want to play through a specific area that I really like, yet feel rushed out way too quickly. However, it's a very small margin. And it brings more problems (like what I underlined in stoog's point) over more solutions. It's more of a pain for the devs then it's worth, basically.

image If only SW:TOR could be this epic...

• randomtrandomt Member UncommonPosts: 1,220

Here's a compromise, to avoid twinkies..

Make the option to turn off xp available.. only at halfway through the tier, so say, 6, 16, 26, and only at those levels. So you can't ubertwink the max level of the tier like in DaoC, but can still freeze your progress for whatever purposes.

• Tawn47Tawn47 Member Posts: 512
    Originally posted by randomt

Here's a compromise, to avoid twinkies..
    Make the option to turn off xp available.. only at halfway through the tier, so say, 6, 16, 26, and only at those levels. So you can't ubertwink the max level of the tier like in DaoC, but can still freeze your progress for whatever purposes.

Genius.

I'd say that the /xp off ability HALVES your xp gain at rank 10-11, 20-21, 30-31..  and only stops it entirely at any other rank.

This prevents twinking and people like to OP can play with their mates a bit more easily.

• ArcheusCrossArcheusCross Member Posts: 793
    Originally posted by Deewe

Or even better skill based MMO withtout levels.

QFT. Enough with the exp grinding already, id rather have to level up skills to get better moves... in otherwords, base the game around fun and content and not around leveling. Let that be a perk.

"Do not fret! Your captain is about to enter Valhalla!" - General Beatrix of Alexandria

"The acquisition of knowledge is of use to the intellect, for nothing can be loved or hated without first being known." - Leo da Vinci

Originally posted by Random_mage

Originally posted by madstoog

Xp toggle is stupid, play the game and get to the end game.
    This feature would just result in people sticking to the highest level for the tiers, 11, 21 and 31 and killing any newbies in seconds that come along because they will be able to max out their gear.
    Why play the game if u dont want to advance?
    get to level 40 and play, trust me lvl 40 will be far more entertaining than level 11... unless your one of those people who enjoy ease mode.

Cool, I was hoping to find someone who would pay my $15/month.  Oh wait, you're not going to? Then don't tell me how to enjoy the game. 

I've enjoyed every level so far, and sometimes my friends are left behind due to less playtime or less fortune in playing.  I would like to shut off xp and stick around with them.  Or, as mentioned, help out a lowbie new to the guild.  Or, just stick around and continue enjoying Sea of Claws, or Troll Country, or High Pass, or wherever I happen to be.    Point being, why rush to end game? I see zero point if you're enjoying yourself. 

I've given valid reasons for an xp toggle, you've given your opinion of my character -- apparently I'm an unskilled newb killer with uber equipment (There is so little difference in equipment at lower levels that we know this can't be true).

I'm going to give you a piece of advice:  Don't believe everything you think.  And definitely feel free to not share it.  

- LC   

There's a game where you can stay at the max level for your tier.. it's call World of Warcraft.

Adding a /xp off is a waste of the devs time.  especailly because, as stated int he paster, the point of this game is ENDGAME.. not twinking your character.  This isn't a PvE game. You don't need to experience all of the PvE with one character, you have 10 slots.  10.  I'm tired of seeing 7+ max level characters for scenarios as is.  So is mythic, hence the PvP XP.    So.. here's how to play your game.. GO PLAY WoW.. there you can max out your bracket and kill all the lowbies you want. Peace.

<modedit>

So tell me something, whats the difference being stuck at lv 40 (max) when other players in that tier are lower... vs.. say what the op is proposing? What? Nothing? Then your argument just got flushed. *shrug*

"Do not fret! Your captain is about to enter Valhalla!" - General Beatrix of Alexandria

"The acquisition of knowledge is of use to the intellect, for nothing can be loved or hated without first being known." - Leo da Vinci

Originally posted by Gkarn

I thought there was a xp off feature. Level 40!

Im glad someone else sees the irony of people complaning at the OP.