Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No Loot in COS...

2»

Comments

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by daylight01

Again you are incorrect,
    Yeah?
    there is no super uber sigils,once a player has the set up he/she likes there is no need to look for more,they give small bonus like +500 health say at lvl 50,you wont be getting epic sigils with +2%crit +36 agility.
    The relative power of individual sigils have nothing to with the point we are discussing.
    I will just say here though that if they are as worthless or undesirable as you say, then I do not understand why people will wanna even try and get them... most will just prefer to PvP nakid with their basic skills right? Less effort, and really, what difference will it make?
    Thats if it all turns out as you say of course.
    *edit* to clarify that by 'nakid' I mean without sigils.
    Aplayer will build his character and use the sigils for what he feels is best for him,maybe a player would like the extra health one's so he doesnt die so fast and once he has them in the slots,thats it no need to look for them again,so no this is not the players motivation.
    But we have to look for them in the first?
    This is the same as looking for gear right?
    This is the motivator I am talking about yes?
    Finding new sigils, the ones we want, will be the reason that most of us play. This will what keeps most of us in game past 2 weeks.  
    Looking forward as well....
    You really honestly think they will not introduce more powerful and more desirable sigils as the game develops? That they will keep them static? That you will never have to upgrade?

Tell me.

If sigils are not the player's motivation in this game, then what is?

Once we have played for 2 weeks and the shine of PvP has worn off I mean.

I repeat. Sigils are loot.

• daylight01daylight01 Member Posts: 2,250

Ok here is a quote from Sera a forum mod over at the official forums about sigils.

For those who question the sigils. I can see why you would since it’s too easy to compare it to past experiences from other mmorpgs (generally WoW) It doesn't mean spellborn is like WoW. Some say its misinformation to say that gear doesn't matter and you can look the way you want too. This does not end with just looks its true for all parts of Spellborn. From the character's visual there class, skills and there sigils.

Customizing is the backbone of this game. You should look at sigils like how a mechanic looks at parts when building a race car. Having the best parts to make a high performance machine is great. But when it comes to winning the race it’s the skill and experience of the driver that wins the race not the car. Anyone can see the difference between a vet and a rookie driver on the track. Also add the fact that everyone will have a good machine themselves having the best car out there is not all that great.

In relation to sigils they are use to build yourself or your skills to your liking. Easier said then done when you have more then one way to enhance yourself and you can not tell what your potential enemy will do.

There are sigils that increase the number of targets it will hit to increasing its range to increased damage of said skill. Which one is better? No one can say which is best because it’s up to the person who is using said skill. What's the point of doing either of theses things if you can't hit anyone with this skill or the enemy makes it very hard for you to use it in battle. Remember there are no auto functions, nor are there any stuns...etc so no attack is a sure hit. Combined that with a poorly made skill deck and poor manual dodging skills having the highest rank sigils does nothing to help change that.

I will show you how small of a difference the sigils are between ranks.

Level 10 to 19 - ranks 1 and 2.

Level 20 to 29 - ranks 3 and 4.

Level 30 to 39 - ranks 5 and 6.

Level 40 - 49 - ranks 7 and 8.

Level 50 - ranks 9 and 10.

This is how the ranks will go. Nothing special about it, most mmorpgs generally work in the same way. This is an example of a sigil that increases HP.

Rank 1 - Increase Maximum health by 50.

Rank 5 - Increase maximum health by 250.

Rank 10 - Increase maximum health by 500.

The rank 10 sigil looks very powerful when compare to a rank 1. Compared to a rank 5 it doesn't seem all that great. With 4 more ranks between 5 and 10 that gap is even smaller. How many people are going to be using rank 1 and 2 sigils once they past level 19? With that being said its power is still based on what the player needs/wants. Take the Blood Warrior many of there best moves involves blood links and having to hurt themselves in order to do damage to others.

So having the most HP will be something they may look into in order to get the best out of there links. But a Blood Warrior that doesn't use Blood links that often may find it less useful to load up on HP instead they may pick to use sigils to increase there melee attacks. Tricksters one of the rogue arch types may find that both types of sigils are overall useless to them and may find sigils that increase there buff durations more beneficial. With three arch types, nine sub-classes and the ability to learn the arch type skills at level 50 and the skill deck system. I see a lot of people hunting for sigils but unlike other mmorpgs, players will hunt for sigils as a way to increase there options of customizing your class. Not just so they can be competitive. If your content with you class and your skill deck. Once you have the sigils you want you don’t have to hunt for anymore.

To answer your question on what players will do in 2 weeks after the pvp has worn off..

Who said this game was all about pvp?This is a pve game with pvp in it,The game isnt supposed to be about getting to 50 and getting gear,it is supposed to be about having fun and playing with a great combat system,it is also about helping your guild achieve things like shard conquests as well as furthering yourself through the solo Ancestral quests,you ask what a players motivation will be I think because it is fun and people will log on to do dungeons or guild/group/solo pvp.

You can challenge other players in things like the arena,you can get a statue of yourself in a city if you achieve something big,that could be both pvp or pve,they have spoke about adding more guild versus guild things in the future and who knows where that could go,hell I may just log on sometimes to play a guild mate at chess in the tavern and have a chat :P

If someone had came up to me in 1980 when I was on my Atari 2600 and said we will be playing games with thousands of people at the same time.I guess my response would have been,"but I only have 2 joysticks"

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/235780/page/8

• metalhead980metalhead980 Member Posts: 2,658

Armor should only Raise your actual armor points (take slightly less damage.

Weapons should raise base damage a bit but other than that it should be cosmetic.

I'm getting tired of every MMO being gear focused.

I love how gear worked in Guildwars, everyone basically had the same stats on gear with the exception of certain runes, all the armor had Base AC and you got to toss chants on them and thats it.

Made everything blanced imo.

Seriously WoW is such a PoS a player in season 1 gear would have a 40% disadvantage in survivability and DPS against a Season 4 player. How anyone could enjoy a system like that is beyond me.

PLaying: EvE, Ryzom

Waiting For: Earthrise, Perpetuum

• ZhauricZhauric Member UncommonPosts: 292

I'm pretty much on the track daylight is stating. I don't need loot to be my motivator to play. Fun is the number one factor. If I wanted loot to be the motivator then I would go back to WoW where that is gospel. I'm tired and worn on that train of thought and gaming process.

What I am seeking is something different within the combat system. TCoS apparently has that. A strong community/atmosphere and a game where I can enjoy both pve and pvp whenever I seek it. So far TCoS covers those except I have no clue on the community at this point of time. But loot is no where near my motivator.

So saying 'What will motivate players to play?' is not something that truly be questioned on a broad basis. Its up to individuals to see what motivates them and what will make them want to play a game. I'm quite sure the devs of TCoS did their research and discovered there is a player base that is not motivated by loot. That wants something different and not the same ol' same ol'. I'm one of those players and look forward to not having to hear:

'We're raiding! Come get phat lewts!'

• LeojLeoj Member Posts: 98

But you guys are saying that people won't be motivated by loot.  I think like the last poster said that you can find whatever you want to motivate you.  Loot can easily be a motivater in this game, getting the best sigils is only going to help you so why not go for them.  Or perhaps you just want the coolest looking armor that is really difficult to get.  There are many motivators in this game and I think that is where it is going to shine as opposed to games like WoW where loot is everything.

That is basically what myself and Zhauric are saying,there are many levels to this game for which ppl will find fun.

I used to do raiding and even back then when I enjoyed it there were times I went not because I wanted too but maybe because the guild was short a healer or even times I just wanted to go incase the item dropped that I wanted...so glad I have left those days behind.

there are a few things to drive you in TCoS as I already said I may even log on just to have a game of chess with a guild m8 and a chat,or if I am in the mode go for some pvp,or indeed do a dungeon or go searching for a sigil,there are no raids here so a guild wont be asking for new members only if they can attend 4 raids a week etc.

I have followed this game for a long time and for the most part supported the devs and if this game fails(which I dont think for 1 sec it will) at least they have tried to make a game that is not the normal thing we see now and have tried to make something for players were that epic loot isnt the only thing to play for.

Amen to that.

If someone had came up to me in 1980 when I was on my Atari 2600 and said we will be playing games with thousands of people at the same time.I guess my response would have been,"but I only have 2 joysticks"

Originally posted by Zhauric

I'm pretty much on the track daylight is stating. I don't need loot to be my motivator to play. Fun is the number one factor.
    But fun is subjective right?
    It's not enough to say 'fun' really... You need to define what you, personally, find fun. It's too broader term otherwise for me to discuss it with you.
    Will the lore motivate you?
    Will the PvE quests, despute the fact that they will deliver no reward worthwhile apart from experience?  
    I am not looking for an argument, just interested.
    If I wanted loot to be the motivator then I would go back to WoW where that is gospel. I'm tired and worn on that train of thought and gaming process.
    Noone is saying they want loot to be a motivator here.
    I am saying that sigils are just 'gearz' loot by a different name, and to suggest otherwise is a little naive.
    What I am seeking is something different within the combat system. TCoS apparently has that.
    A different combat system just isnt anough on it's own to retain a substantial player base though?
    You need more. You need motivators and retainers.
    A strong community/atmosphere
     Well, seeing as this game is solo quest grind, and the crafting is solo ez mode, I am not sure where that strong community is gonna come from for you...
    The last few games we have seen based on this model have had terrible or non existant communities (AoC and WAR anyone?)
    and a game where I can enjoy both pve and pvp whenever I seek it. So far TCoS covers those except I have no clue on the community at this point of time. But loot is no where near my motivator.
    Then I ask, in all honesty, what is?
    I am not saying loot is everything for me, but what is gonna keep you playing this game past the free zone? Once you have had a little fun and enough of the combat system alone?
    So saying 'What will motivate players to play?' is not something that truly be questioned on a broad basis. Its up to individuals to see what motivates them and what will make them want to play a game.
     No, I disagree here.
    Motivators and retainers are system design choices and are built into every game from day 1. This is basic stuff for a theme park MMO. It's not like this is a sandbox game or anything...
    It's a solo zerg theme park quest grinder...
    Trust me when I say that motivators and retainers are everything to it's sustainability.
    I'm quite sure the devs of TCoS did their research and discovered there is a player base that is not motivated by loot.
    Hehe excuse me, but I honestly don't have the same belief in any dev's 'research' anymore, considering how wrong the last few games have gone. And all of them with much deeper pockets then TCoS. 
    That wants something different and not the same ol' same ol'. I'm one of those players and look forward to not having to hear:
    'We're raiding! Come get phat lewts!'
    I am not, and have never, talked about raiding here.
    This isnt about that.
    I have only stated that sigils are loot. Which I repeat.
    I am not arguing for loot in any game, or suggesting there isnt another way to do things, just that TCoS hasnt found it at all. It's just rebranded the problem and pushed it out as a different name.

Originally posted by Leoj

But you guys are saying that people won't be motivated by loot.  I think like the last poster said that you can find whatever you want to motivate you.  Loot can easily be a motivater in this game, getting the best sigils is only going to help you so why not go for them.  Or perhaps you just want the coolest looking armor that is really difficult to get.  There are many motivators in this game and I think that is where it is going to shine as opposed to games like WoW where loot is everything.

I have only asked the other guys what is gonna motivate them in the long term if not loot, beyond the vague word 'fun'.

I am asking straight questions, but it seems noone wants to give me a straight answer :P

Ok mate you have made your point and maybe this game isnt for you,vesavius I would suggest instead of wasting your time downing a game you look for 1 you will enjoy,your time will be better spent there,I hate to be blunt but you really have nothing to say postive about this game so why are you here,you dont need to answer just leave well enough alone

That is basically what myself and Zhauric are saying,there are many levels to this game for which ppl will find fun.
    I used to do raiding and even back then when I enjoyed it there were times I went not because I wanted too but maybe because the guild was short a healer or even times I just wanted to go incase the item dropped that I wanted...so glad I have left those days behind.
    Noone has, like I said, talked about raiding here.
    Lets not muddy the water?
    there are a few things to drive you in TCoS as I already said I may even log on just to have a game of chess with a guild m8
    Well, I can play chess for free online with my friends without a monthly fee...
    This is a retainer for TCoS?
    Ouch. 
    and a chat,
    I can also chat for free....
    or if I am in the mode go for some pvp,
    yep, I get this one.
    or indeed do a dungeon or go searching for a sigil,
    you mean quest for phat lootz? :P
    there are no raids here so a guild wont be asking for new members only if they can attend 4 raids a week etc.
    Lets plz stop talking about raids... I have never even mentioned them... No idea why you guys keep suggesting I have...
    I have followed this game for a long time and for the most part supported the devs and if this game fails(which I dont think for 1 sec it will) at least they have tried to make a game that is not the normal thing we see now and have tried to make something for players were that epic loot isnt the only thing to play for.
    I support indie devs and diversity, and for that reason I will buy TCoS, but lets not get tunnel vision here.
    At this time, to me, TCoS looks like it hase a interesting combat system, nice looks, and a good take on character appearence customisation.
    Apart from that it is looking like a solo zerg theme park quest grinder...
    Lets not hail it as the second coming, because you will only create an expectation that it can never live up to, and as such will be seen as a failiure...
    Lets be objective and realistic about the game? It really is the best way to avoid a post launch backlash.

• URMAKERURMAKER Member UncommonPosts: 671

so if theres no advancement by means of a gear type grind or via rare drops whats "the carrot on the stick" then?

Ok mate you have made your point and maybe this game isnt for you,vesavius I would suggest instead of wasting your time downing a game you look for 1 you will enjoy,your time will be better spent there,I hate to be blunt but you really have nothing to say postive about this game so why are you here,you dont need to answer just leave well enough alone

/sigh...

I am not 'downing' the game.

I am looking for honest and open discussion... That is what forums are for right? To talk about games?

I have not trolled anywhere here, so whats the prob? You really have no time for people unless they pass your 'positivity' test?

Originally posted by URMAKER

so if theres no advancement by means of a gear type grind or via rare drops whats "the carrot on the stick" then?

That is it,the gear does not  define you,you define yourself.

What is going to motivate people beyond loot remains to be seen, but I don't think this game will be as solo quest grind as you think.  Perhaps it will be a quest grind, but I think the devs are trying to make a game where grouping is important and I think that is where the community will come from. 

Also you may be right vesavius, at first there may not be much of a "carrot on a stick" for this game, but there are many awesome ideas that they have mentioned that they want to implement. Hopefully these things don't take them too long, because they could lose a lot of people before the game really flourishes...but I think enough will stick around for it.

Personally I can go without a "motivator", in my opinion it stiffles game play and to me "motivator" sounds like it's something I need to do rather than want to do. 

What is going to motivate people beyond loot remains to be seen, but I don't think this game will be as solo quest grind as you think.  Perhaps it will be a quest grind, but I think the devs are trying to make a game where grouping is important and I think that is where the community will come from. 
    Also you may be right vesavius, at first there may not be much of a "carrot on a stick" for this game, but there are many awesome ideas that they have mentioned that they want to implement. Hopefully these things don't take them too long, because they could lose a lot of people before the game really flourishes...but I think enough will stick around for it.
    Personally I can go without a "motivator", in my opinion it stiffles game play and to me "motivator" sounds like it's something I need to do rather than want to do. 

If the group/ community thing happens, noone will be happier then me. I have been looking for a game where co-op play and community interaction is important and rewarded for a long long time.

But I will also say that the best motivators are the ones you don't even know are motivating you. They tap in to what you enjoy and use that to keep you playing and paying a sub. I would even go as far to say most people leave a game when they become aware of them. The whole point of any given motivator, whether it be loot, experience, story progression, or whatever, is that you want to do it. I

TCoS has a relitively small dev team though... we have gotta be looking at 4-6 months before they get additional content in? At least?

This is why they need retainers past chess ;)

• tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013

After 30-35 replies NONE answered the most simple question which this post is all about!!!!!!!!!!!

WHAT in the nine hells would happen if the devs would add loot items with SMALL bonuses NOT big

but SMALL bonuses on items armours weapons e.t.c.

WHAT! the combat system which i find good and refreshing will still be the same...

The fate of the combat will still be depend on the player skills and tactics and not in THE LOOT ,cause

the bonus stats would be SMALL!!!!!!!!!!

Its a very simple question and the answers i get in this post is like:

This game has no loot ! get over it!

This game isnt for you!

Loot whining!

Im starting to wonder is it just the COS community IQ level so LOW or it s a disease spreading tommo rpg players?

Originally posted by tazarconan

After 30-35 replies NONE answered the most simple question which this post is all about!!!!!!!!!!!
    WHAT in the nine hells would happen if the devs would add loot items with SMALL bonuses NOT big
    WHAT! the combat system which i find good and refreshing will still be the same...
    The fate of the combat will still be depend on the player skills and tactics and not in THE LOOT ,cause
    This game isnt for you!
    Loot whining!
    Im starting to wonder is it just the COS community IQ level so LOW or it s a disease spreading tommo rpg players?

You have actually been answered, if you relaxed long enough to take a look.

There is loot. Sigils are loot.

They will have an effect on your character's combat abilities, albeit a small one (apperently...)

What's the confusion?

What is 'tommo rpg players'? It sounds horrible... is it very easy to catch?

• talismen351talismen351 Member Posts: 1,124
    Originally posted by tazarconan

This game isnt for you!
    Loot whining!

Actually your OP didn't ask anything. It said that COS needs loot items or 'Loads of players won't even try the beta'. Essensially you were whining about the loot being no good yourself! 

So before insulting the community with a low IQ...I would suggest you take the time to read your own OP.

Originally posted by vesavius

If the group/ community thing happens, noone will be happier then me. I have been looking for a game where co-op play and community interaction is important and rewarded for a long long time.

But I will also say that the best motivators are the ones you don't even know are motivating you. They tap in to what you enjoy and use that to keep you playing and paying a sub. I would even go as far to say most people leave a game when they become aware of them. The whole point of any given motivator, whether it be loot, experience, story progression, or whatever, is that you want to do it. I

TCoS has a relitively small dev team though... we have gotta be looking at 4-6 months before they get additional content in? At least?

This is why they need retainers past chess ;)

It sounds like we agree :D

• leomaxwell4leomaxwell4 Member Posts: 32

just want to clearify a few misunderstandings on this post, even though its old, it showed up on a google search i did and looks like its filled of expectations pre launch.

you CAN put sigils into armor, not all and from what ive read (im still new to the game) the number available in armor may increase as you lvl, at lvl 8 i can as of now put 2 sigils into my chest piece and 1 in my mask. the sigils also differ from the sigils you put in bows or swords/axes etc.. so i assume these may be "armor sigils" though i could be wrong.

also do not be mistaken that "loot" affects only youre gear, these siglis are more than that, later in the game you can attach these sigils to skills themselves, which customizes youre character around the skills he/she uses. as unlike other mmos with hudge UI interfaces covering youre whole screen, the skill deck will only allow you to use a certain, chosen ammount of skills used in a customized combo kind of system. that is a beauty really, not having to worry about my screen being blocked by UI icons because of this, and it gives a pre battle stratagy. point is though, you choose youre skills, and then you customize those skills to make them diffrent from someone elses of the very same class, depending on the sigil you put into youre skill. this in my opinion is exciting. -also the skill deck increases as you level, allowing more, and longer combos, skills can be repeated as well in a single combo, as long as it is cooled down, otherwise you will have to wait until its cooled down-

(though other games may have a similarity with "skill trees" that do about the same thing.... the skill trees are set in stone on how you spend points, however with the sigil skill system i feel that it has alot more flexibility and opportunitys out there to make the skills how YOU want them, not just how the developers want you to.... or a whinning communitiy that crys OP everytime thier PKed)

so back to the point of this thread, and what im pointing out, TCoS in my opinion, does not need the traditional sense we know as "loot" as TCoS has made a brand new, fresh system. it is not loot, you are not going to be OP. instead you arm yourself with sigils that match youre class, play style, chosen skills and stratagy. if being able to customize yourself rather than being led by "a carrot on a stick" is too much for you, and leaves you in a panic because you dont know what you should do with youre character because its not set in stone by a community where every player has the same armor, then this game isnt for you, and you should go play WoW, AoC, aion, or something that allows the gear to do the talking for you.

a really great system TCoS has and after playing and after i read (yes, i read up on it before and after as the system is not easily took in after being brainwashed by traditional mmos) im really hooked on it.

unfortunatly i dont know why but this game has been doing not so great, it is now F2P so anyone can at least TRY this system for themselves without any risk, the games updater and launcher dont even work now. anyone still interested in this game will need to go to the TCoS forum and find a thread with links to do the game manualy

(i feel so much for this game i dug up the thread i used for anyone who wants to try, credit goes to the guy in the post here freeyoupi / acidburn) http://phpbb.acclaim.com/spellborn/viewtopic.php?t=6428

so with that said keep this in mind, the armor itself is cosmetic, no one armor will ever have more or diffrent sigil slots than any other piece of armor, look the way you want or as the game puts it "dress to impress". if you see an armor that you like for the armor AND NOT the stats(since there are none on the armor itself), go ahead and put youre sigils in it. wanna get stronger without lvling? do a quest or hunt a tough mob for a sigil or visit the market place for one, or rethink youre skill deck and make new combos.

anyway im sure im gonna get flamed for reviving an old post and going off topic here and there, but i wanted to revive this and throw in as many extra details i can that i think may be important to the game since this came up on a google search about the game i was doing, and dont want anyone else to be confused or mislead about this game with people and thier QQs that may do a google on this game as well. anyway i hope it helps someone see that this game is at least worth checking out.

p.s. i think the community is great, i get help all the time about questions and tips from high level players on thier low lvl alts, and thier are even still brand new people coming in just like me.

• EivilSarEivilSar Member Posts: 25

Serious load of mis-information in the OP :) often happens with spellborn!

The majority of equipment types and armor have slots that you add more than just stats to via the weapon Sigils. Weapons have 3 slots of various types. You can make impressive customised boosts to your character!

For instance you can power slot your main Attribute and damage type and get easily 20-30% extra damage or more. You can slot an impressive range of different aspects - running speed increase, healing increase, health regeneration, attribute increase, resistance against various forms of damage, reflection of dmage types and more... These also affect the special effects color of your character (for weapons):

http://spellborn.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Weapon_Sigils

Is an incomplete range.

Also you can slot Skills with Sigils, to do a huge range from pure damage increase, reduce recharge on skills, increase buffs/debuff periods, increase range of attacks, number of hits multiple attack can do, add chain jumps, increase debuff/buff potency  and more.

There is a alot of loot that is resources,  jewellery,  patterns (for potions,weapons,sigils,armor) and broken weapon or armor. And stackable waste to sell to vendors

If you want more information check:

http://spellborn.wikia.com/wiki/Spellborn_Wiki

http://spellborndb.net/

Spellborndb is also a database for quests, items and resource locations. 

EivilSar, Deathhand of International
    Spellborn PvP