Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting EQ today

HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

Ok, I am looking for advice here.

1.  I am starting EQ today, being a veteran of a couple diff MMORPG's I have always wanted to check EQ but heard it's very tame (carebear) and alot of people told me I won't like it.  I am looking more for content, I have plenty of PvP on L2.  But is the PvE exciting? Plenty of quests?

2.  How is the economy?  I do not buy in game credits (gold, gil, adena, whatever) am I going to have to spend most of my time trying to buy gear or can I have some fun with my starter stuf and get new gear along the way?

3.  I doupt my L2 attitude is going to get me very far in EQ.  I plan on toning it down a bit, but are the players/gm's lenient to slips?  There will be an adjustment period I am sure.

Any advice wil be most welcome.  I plan on playing a Scout/thief type althought tank is not out of the question.  Magic types, well I just don't play those.  (cuz I suck at it).

thanks for your time

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

Comments

• Narco28Narco28 Member Posts: 300

jeez starting now?

well if you are starting out fresh on a pvp server you are in for a rude awakening. High level characters often twink out new characters with bad ass gear solely to pvp with noobs. I know cause i've done it myself. But if you can suck it up and get passed getting your ass handed to you when you're just trying to exp you'll be ok.
    The economy on my server(tallon zek pvp) was good. You could get nice armor and weapons for cheap because of all the crazy gear that came out in the expansions, So that's a plus for you. Also look at Eq websites for variouse starter quests for your class/level should help some.

As for your scout/thief class you want it's called a rogue. Which I don't reccomend playing. Not because they don't do well in groups(they are ok in groups..) but higher levels they are on the bottom of the food chain in pvp(higher levels meaning 25+ when everyone can see invisable,making your sneak obsolete). The best pvp classes are no doubt enchanter and bard. beastmasters/shaman are pretty good too. If anyone disagrees, first tell me whether you play on a pvp server or not(cause if you play on a blueb server your opinion dosn't matter). I've played on tallon zek pvp for 3 years. Started out fresh noob and worked my way up to one of the top 3 guilds on the server.
    My guild use to have manditory pvp meetings where we would meet in an arena and have a "last man standing contest". But if you don't want to be an enchanter(you said magic wasn't your thing) or bard(pretty sick class I think wears plate armor and fastest class in the game) Then I suggest making a class that's important to groups. Warrior, Cleric(highest need for groups), Enchanter. Warrior for tanking, Cleric for heals , Enchanter for crowd control. If you are one of those classes you are usually getting a group and exp.Definetly Not to putting down the other classes, but their main use in a group is just DPS and buffs/debuffs if they have any.

• Iris1914Iris1914 Member Posts: 7

For me the PvE is just fine but i dont really care for PvP so. If you want some PvP you could try one of the PvP servers but there are many rules, different on each server. There are quest but lower level quest usualy are not worth the effort in my opinion, but a few newbie quest are decent if you are hunthing the needed mob for exp also. As far is the economy its pretty good on most servers, decent gear is very cheap but you really dont need any gear at all to take you to 10 or so till you can get some extra money.( If you play Povar server i can hook ya up with some starters) As far as class/race its up to you, if you stick with it for a while you end up trying many classes. My favorate are Beastlord, Bard, and Necro or Mage for non PvP. As far as PvP Enchaters, Bards, Necros are all good choices but again play what you want. Hope this helps
    IrIs

• shadowgrx20shadowgrx20 Member Posts: 33
    oof, you are starting now? only a little more than a month til EQ2 is released.  As far as EQ goes.  The economy sucks now everything is "uberized" and it may be newbie friendly in one sense but the newb population is at its lowest in a very long time... for 1 most people know EQ2 will be released soon and won't bother making an EQ account and 2. like i said everything is "uberized" its just boring now... im closing my account soon after i can sell what i can off of my account to get some of my money back.  I'd wait for EQ2 if i were you if you really want the EQ experience.

• TilsTils Member Posts: 4

I totally agree with Shadowgrx. EQ is old and mud flation has pretty much made the game very different from when it was originally released. You'd probably do better waiting a bit and starting EQ2 a fresh when everyone else does.

Tils

• PsaikoboiPsaikoboi Member Posts: 14
    Everquest was excellent. I think I quit because at a certain point if you are not a hard core gamer you just keep grinding and grinding and grinding and ..... you get the picture. it al become the same.  The LDoN expantion chaged alot though and I started to have fun again for a time.

• neschrianeschria Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

Originally posted by Hatefull

Ok, I am looking for advice here.
    1.  I am starting EQ today, being a veteran of a couple diff MMORPG's I have always wanted to check EQ but heard it's very tame (carebear) and alot of people told me I won't like it.  I am looking more for content, I have plenty of PvP on L2.  But is the PvE exciting? Plenty of quests?
    2.  How is the economy?  I do not buy in game credits (gold, gil, adena, whatever) am I going to have to spend most of my time trying to buy gear or can I have some fun with my starter stuf and get new gear along the way?
    3.  I doupt my L2 attitude is going to get me very far in EQ.  I plan on toning it down a bit, but are the players/gm's lenient to slips?  There will be an adjustment period I am sure.
    Any advice wil be most welcome.  I plan on playing a Scout/thief type althought tank is not out of the question.  Magic types, well I just don't play those.  (cuz I suck at it).
    thanks for your time

1. If you are used to PvP, it may seem pretty tame, but there are some good quests, and some interesting encounters to be had.

2. The economy sucks. You may find a kind soul to help you out to start with, and then you can buy some older gear that's passable at low prices, but don't expect people to be drooling on your gear any time soon.

3. There are plenty of bad attitudes floating around EQ... or at least on Xegony. ;) But being nice will get you further-- it is still mainly a grouping game, and your reputation will dog you if you are too badly behaved. If you are good at what you do and don't piss people off, they'll come looking for you when they want to make a group, and that's always a bonus.

I am going to keep my class advice to myself. I am extremely biased in favor of tanks. That's what I do best. (I have a mage and an enchanter too, and they are just the dyingest couple of elves you've ever seen...)

~*~
    neschria
    Bunny Squisher Extraordinaire

This is where I draw the line: __________________.