Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any good single player RPGS?

123457»

Comments

• Jefferson81Jefferson81 Member Posts: 730
    Originally posted by Steelrose

Originally posted by cukimunga

It is the gamestyle. Indeed, Oblivion would be a tremendous RPG with turn-based combat and without level scaling and with an actual character customization. But the way it is now, it's a bit more complex FPS.
    There is no exact definition for RPG but there is exact definition for FPS. Any game with first person perspective and with live-action aiming with your cursor is FPS. Oblivion is FPS. Most of its content IS FPS therefore it is FPS. What's so hard to understand?
    I repeat my example of a regular 30 minute gameplay in Oblivion: 5 minutes running around in town getting rumours and quests. 10 minute running towards a site (using a compass) and fightning monsters on the road. And then 15 minutes fightning quest mobs on site (usually multilayered dungeon)
    There is constant on-going action in Oblivion from first person perspective that requires you to aim with your cursor -> THEREFORE ITS FPS. First person shooter involves shooting or otherwise killing enemies in first person perspective. What information in this definition is hard to understand?

Ok I lied im not done.

"There is no exact definition for RPG but there is exact definition for FPS. Any game with first person perspective and with live-action aiming with your cursor is FPS. Oblivion is FPS. Most of its content IS FPS therefore it is FPS. What's so hard to understand?"

Well since there is no exact definition for RPG, then I say Oblivion is a RPG with FPS combat.  I think you just can't except these games as RPG because you don't like real time combat.  Things change, look how Rock music has evolved over the years it has different influences and has sub genre's but its still rock at its core.  RPG's are the same  I don't see how you can call Oblivion just a FPS it has so much more depth than a shooter.

"First person shooter involves shooting or otherwise killing enemies in first person perspective. What information in this definition is hard to understand?"

Well what you said right there would make Wizardry  a FPS since you are killing people in first person view. Same with Kings Field or any other RPG that is in first person view, even if it is turned base.

Ok now im done ive had enough debates today with this stupid crap and other politcal crap.

Im off to play FFXI

Have a nice day, or whatever time it is where your at.

This is not true, Wizardry 1-8 has turn-based combat. There is no aiming with cursor which defines FPS genre. It's not a question of how much combat it has, it's a question of whether you're forced to aim with cursor in real time action and in first person perspective or not.

I love RPG I play RPG for a very long time. I dislike FPS and never played FPS. I can't play new so called RPG's, because they all feel like FPS for me. The gameplay is FPS. Oblivion might be very complex for FPS, but it's main feature is still FPS. Last good real RPG I remember was Temple of Elemental Evil by Troika and Wizardry 8.

If you want turn-based combat in your RPG then buy Disciples II : Dark Prophecy, Disciples II : Rise of the Elves and Kings Bounty : The Legend.

And Disciples III : Renaissance is in the pipeline.

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258

Originally posted by cukimunga

It is the gamestyle. Indeed, Oblivion would be a tremendous RPG with turn-based combat and without level scaling and with an actual character customization. But the way it is now, it's a bit more complex FPS.
    There is no exact definition for RPG but there is exact definition for FPS. Any game with first person perspective and with live-action aiming with your cursor is FPS. Oblivion is FPS. Most of its content IS FPS therefore it is FPS. What's so hard to understand?
    I repeat my example of a regular 30 minute gameplay in Oblivion: 5 minutes running around in town getting rumours and quests. 10 minute running towards a site (using a compass) and fightning monsters on the road. And then 15 minutes fightning quest mobs on site (usually multilayered dungeon)
    There is constant on-going action in Oblivion from first person perspective that requires you to aim with your cursor -> THEREFORE ITS FPS. First person shooter involves shooting or otherwise killing enemies in first person perspective. What information in this definition is hard to understand?

Ok I lied im not done.

"There is no exact definition for RPG but there is exact definition for FPS. Any game with first person perspective and with live-action aiming with your cursor is FPS. Oblivion is FPS. Most of its content IS FPS therefore it is FPS. What's so hard to understand?"

Well since there is no exact definition for RPG, then I say Oblivion is a RPG with FPS combat.  I think you just can't except these games as RPG because you don't like real time combat.  Things change, look how Rock music has evolved over the years it has different influences and has sub genre's but its still rock at its core.  RPG's are the same  I don't see how you can call Oblivion just a FPS it has so much more depth than a shooter.

"First person shooter involves shooting or otherwise killing enemies in first person perspective. What information in this definition is hard to understand?"

Well what you said right there would make Wizardry  a FPS since you are killing people in first person view. Same with Kings Field or any other RPG that is in first person view, even if it is turned base.

Ok now im done ive had enough debates today with this stupid crap and other politcal crap.

Im off to play FFXI

Have a nice day, or whatever time it is where your at.

This is not true, Wizardry 1-8 has turn-based combat. There is no aiming with cursor which defines FPS genre. It's not a question of how much combat it has, it's a question of whether you're forced to aim with cursor in real time action and in first person perspective or not.

I love RPG I play RPG for a very long time. I dislike FPS and never played FPS. I can't play new so called RPG's, because they all feel like FPS for me. The gameplay is FPS. Oblivion might be very complex for FPS, but it's main feature is still FPS. Last good real RPG I remember was Temple of Elemental Evil by Troika and Wizardry 8.

Oh I thought you ment that if you kill anything in first person view its considered a FPS, and didn't involve a cursor to aim.  Cuz I never really played Oblivion in the first person view, unless I shot an arrow.  That's why I never considered it a FPS, just a RPG with realtime combat. But to each their own.

I don't like the over the top view all the time and turn based combat all that much anymore. Since Ive played Morrowind ive been spoiled by realtime combat but I still like being able to pause and make a strategy

. Im really looking foward to Dragon Age, since you can be in the action but also pause the game and tell your party members what to do. The spell combo stuff is really cool, greese and fireball combo is nice. I can't wait to mess around with that and see what combos there are.

• LexinLexin Member UncommonPosts: 701

I always thought FPS(First Person "Shooter") was for anything dealing with guns no storyline no base stats no RPG related. Steelrose seems hell bent on destroying Oblivion whats wrong with Oblivion? I for one would never consider it an "FPS". Now you could say it is a hack and slash game but an FPS lets get real here you have no idea what game genres are. Stop trying to call an RPG an FPS just because you don't consider it what it really is and thats an RPG.

Call Of Duty is an FPS Metal Gear Solid Online is an FPS Soldier Front is an FPS. FPS does not stand for First Person Stabber it stands for First Person Shooter you can't shoot a sword/axe/dagger etc etc. What because it has a Bow its a FPS? You should just stop with your crap now here is the real definition of an FPS for you.

A first-person shooter (FPS) is a video game that renders the game world from the visual perspective of the player character and tests the player's skill in aiming guns or other projectile weapons. In the modern era of video games, key technologies such as 3D graphics, online play, and modding were first showcased by FPS. Enhanced realism combined with graphic violence has also made FPS a common topic in ongoing controversies over video games

Here is the website i got it on http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/First+Person+Shooter

Now please stop calling an RPG and FPS and stfu just because you don't like the game Steelrose.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    Originally posted by Lexin

I always thought FPS(First Person "Shooter") was for anything dealing with guns no storyline no base stats no RPG related. Steelrose seems hell bent on destroying Oblivion whats wrong with Oblivion? I for one would never consider it an "FPS". Now you could say it is a hack and slash game but an FPS lets get real here you have no idea what game genres are. Stop trying to call an RPG an FPS just because you don't consider it what it really is and thats an RPG.
    Call Of Duty is an FPS Metal Gear Solid Online is an FPS Soldier Front is an FPS. A first-person shooter (FPS) is a video game that renders the game world from the visual perspective of the player character and tests the player's skill in aiming guns or other projectile weapons. In the modern era of video games, key technologies such as 3D graphics, online play, and modding were first showcased by FPS.

That's my thought as well.

Quake is an fps, Doom, painkiller.

oblivion might incorporate more fps style fighting in ranged attacks but it has story, dialogue, etc, etc.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SteelroseSteelrose Member UncommonPosts: 215
    Originally posted by Lexin

Call Of Duty is an FPS Metal Gear Solid Online is an FPS Soldier Front is an FPS. FPS does not stand for First Person Stabber it stands for First Person Shooter you can't shoot a sword/axe/dagger etc etc. What because it has a Bow its a FPS? You should just stop with your crap now here is the real definition of an FPS for you.

A first-person shooter (FPS) is a video game that renders the game world from the visual perspective of the player character and tests the player's skill in aiming guns or other projectile weapons. In the modern era of video games, key technologies such as 3D graphics, online play, and modding were first showcased by FPS. Enhanced realism combined with graphic violence has also made FPS a common topic in ongoing controversies over video games
    Here is the website i got it on http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/First+Person+Shooter
    Now please stop calling an RPG and FPS and stfu just because you don't like the game Steelrose.

Hah you failed miserably. Even with your definition. Tell me... what are you doing as a spellcaster or archer. You aim and throw a projectile at target (whether it is an arrow or a fireball). And you have to aim just like in any other FPS. In Oblivion, there's definetly enhanced realism (physics) and a lot of graphic violance. Warcraft 3 is not RPG either, and you have items, levels, char customization, quests, story. Warcraft 3 is RTS because the whole gameplay is mainly consisted of managing an army. Oblivion is not RPG eventho you have items, quests, levels because most of the gameplay is consisted of running around shooting things either aiming with your projectile or sneaking like in (Thief game which is FPS as well) in first person perspective.

There is almost no character customization in Oblivion if you hadn't notice. Everything levels up automatically. And there is level scaling in Oblivion. That ensures every monster out there, levels up together with you, so you constantly run into the same difficult mobs. There is no emphasis on customization. There is STRONG emphasis on running around, shooting things or otherwise killing in FP perspective => Therefore FPS.

And you are wrong again with your last sentence. I like Oblivion, not as much as Morrowind which I considered one of the greatest games, but still Oblivion is solid. It could be much better yes, but I have no hard feelings against it. I like Wizardry series more, because that's what I consider a true RPG. Managing 6 chars, turn-based combat, tons of different items, tons of different skills, tons of classes.

• paintchipspaintchips Member UncommonPosts: 107

I like Fallout 3 but I woulden't say it's a true RPG, it's Oblivion upgraded and Oblivion is most definately not a RPG.

I would recommend anything from Bioware as a good place to start if you want awesome single player RPGs,  Bethesda games are RPG Lite, a load of killing with a few lines of dialogue thrown in, with the exception of Morrowind. So Bioware for quality RPG's.

Fallout 1 & 2, baldur's Gate 1 & 2, Planesacpe Torment and the more recent titles are Knights of the Old Republic, Jade Empire, The Witcher ( not BW ) and Mass Effect ( ME not a true RPG, but ok )with Dragon Age due to release soon, thats what I would recommend.

You could also give the Gothic series a try or 2 Worlds.

• PatchDayPatchDay Member Posts: 1,641

This is comedy; all these people hell bent on saying only turn based is the way to go. Sorry, not everyone wants to stare at their character missing over and over due to dice rolls. The masses have spoken; Mass Effect, Fable, Elder Scrolls, etc all are extremely popular.

Was hoping Bioware was going to fade out the dice rolls but looks like their new Dragon Edge RPG will hail back to the dice roll style stuff.

• paintchipspaintchips Member UncommonPosts: 107
    Originally posted by PatchDay

This is comedy; all these people hell bent on saying only turn based is the way to go. Sorry, not everyone wants to stare at their character missing over and over due to dice rolls. The masses have spoken; Mass Effect, Fable, Elder Scrolls, etc all are extremely popular.
    Was hoping Bioware was going to fade out the dice rolls but looks like their new Dragon Edge RPG will hail back to the dice roll style stuff.

I don't believe turn base makes an RPG, it's the emphasis and quality of the story that makes an RPG. For games like Oblivion, quality story is a cheap second to the combat, it literally is just an action based game with a few lines of dialogue to give some excuse to the mindless killing, no real character story was explored, you don't know why you woke up in a prision, are you innocent? guilty? any chance in Oblivion to explore your chracters backstory? to find out who you are? No?  Any characters that pop up from your past anything that ties you to the world that your asked to explore and save? Where do you come from? on and on we go, Oblivion had none of this.

Oblivion is not an RPG, it's an action based game with some story elements, it's not driven by the story it's driven by combat, with some text and voiceovers thrown in as afterthoughts. I enjoyed Oblivion for what it is, but it's not an RPG. Fallout 3 is closer to being classed as RPG, but again the story was not really explored in any real depth, you found out all this stuff in FO3, but it has no impact on the game, you can't use that infomation to effect the world or change the way the game plays out, it's just there doing nothing. Still good games, just not what I would call RPGs

• PatchDayPatchDay Member Posts: 1,641
    Originally posted by Umbral

Disciples III

Disciples is a famous RPG/Strategy serie, the upcoming Disciples III looks very promising.
    www.youtube.com/watch
    www.youtube.com/watch
    www.disciples3.ru/main_eng.htm

Whoa, now that looks good will have to look this one up

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258
    Originally posted by paintchips

I don't believe turn base makes an RPG, it's the emphasis and quality of the story that makes an RPG. For games like Oblivion, quality story is a cheap second to the combat, it literally is just an action based game with a few lines of dialogue to give some excuse to the mindless killing, no real character story was explored, you don't know why you woke up in a prision, are you innocent? guilty? any chance in Oblivion to explore your chracters backstory? to find out who you are? No?  Any characters that pop up from your past anything that ties you to the world that your asked to explore and save? Where do you come from? on and on we go, Oblivion had none of this.

Oblivion is not an RPG, it's an action based game with some story elements, it's not driven by the story it's driven by combat, with some text and voiceovers thrown in as afterthoughts. I enjoyed Oblivion for what it is, but it's not an RPG. Fallout 3 is closer to being classed as RPG, but again the story was not really explored in any real depth, you found out all this stuff in FO3, but it has no impact on the game, you can't use that infomation to effect the world or change the way the game plays out, it's just there doing nothing. Still good games, just not what I would call RPGs

Its all matter of opinion, I thought Oblivion had a good story. I actually never wondered who I was, cuz it really didn't matter who I was. My guess would be that Bethesda didn't want you to care who you were either. Like having amnesia but your  your don't care who you were but instead your focusing on who you are going to be. They just didn't explain it in the story and gave you the desicion to think for yourself.  I could be wrong on that though. 

While there is a lot of fighting,  what RPG dosen't have a lot of fighting. Like I said before I got sick of playing FFX because I would get pulled into an encounter every 5 seconds in some areas.  Atleast with Realtime Combat its less annoying to get in to fights, for me anyways. You can keep running if you see a mob,  hide somehere to take cover or jump on some rocks to take advantage of the terrain. I think combat that way  is better and more realistic.

I did a lot of  talking and exploring in Oblivion probobly just as much as I did fighting. There were times where I went throught dungeons sneaking and didn't even fight one thing. The RPG genre has changed from the original games and  that is expected but are they any less of and RPG? I don't think so.  They are just a different kind of RPG. But to each their own.

Oh and another RPG im looking foward to is   Alpha Protocol its a modern day spy RPG.

Check it.

www.sega.com/alphaprotocol/us/index2.html

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    Originally posted by paintchips

Ok but that's opinion. Especiall becaues you dragged Morrowind into it.

Morrowind isn't much different from Oblivion other than there is no fast travel, you don't get an arrow on the map to tell you where to go and the interface.

The fighting in Oblivion is realized better but in Morrowind you are still doing the exact same thing with no real way to alter the game world.

Quality of the story is Quality. You can have bad quality and you can have good quality. That doesn't have anything to do with whether it's an rpg.

And you mean to say that if I change the fighting in say, baldur's gate to clicking to swing a sword then that changes it from an rpg? The story is still the same and the dialogue trees are still the same.

Once again, an rpg allows you to play a role. And you can do that in Oblivion and Morrowind.

I'm not sure, given what has been said here if Bioware's games could be considered rpg's.  I mean, I believe they are but now that people are talking about combat and freedom of choice, I don't remember being able to walk into any city and waste whoever I want should i be an evil character. I could do that in Morrowind and I can do that in Oblviion.

I think given the context of the rpg as a video game, if you an assume a role and be allowed to play that role within a world then it's an rpg. I think people are getting too hung up on combat. It's as if you have no interest in an adventure story and would just rather have all that nasty distastful combat just be run on excel spread sheets so that you can get back to reading how great a hero your character is.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • TechleoTechleo Member Posts: 1,984

The interesting thing is, what was delievered by Oblivion may not have been the best as a RPG at first but after MODs were developed Id say it was. I'm actually doing heavy moding for Fallout 3 at the moment. Considering its probably one of the best games to Mod around these days.

It wont be long until expanded dialogues are added. Complex interlinking dialogues I mite add. Then add in the need to eat and drink. A substantially slowed down leveling curve. Not to mention updated storycrafting such as cities you can build. Heck this is all without a CeS.

For me Fallout 3 is the game I recommend, simply because I love its storyline! I feel like I have a impact on peoples lives as I go around fixing or breaking things. It just needs more complex depth like Oblivion did

As the saying goes, Ill fix that