Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars Vs Other MMO

CamthylionCamthylion Member UncommonPosts: 220

I'm in dire need of a fun MMO to play I have played almost everything in the MMO list under released games besides a few and guild wars is one I have yet to try... I hear good things about it then I hear utterly bad things about it.  Is the game top notch is just something I would want to play to take a break from the likes of  WoW.  How does the leveling system in Guild Wars work? is it easy to level up because I enjoy end game pvp and dont want to spend a month getting 1 character to near max level.  Also how does the grinding system fair can I grind and get decent loot/exp?  or should I stick to questing in GW to get good exp?  any feedback would be great thx.

Comments

• Lonesamurai1Lonesamurai1 Member Posts: 1,210

Guild Wars ISN'T an MMO

if you want a traditional MMO your out of luck, since WoW, theres no such thing

imageimage

• PatchDayPatchDay Member Posts: 1,641

Guild Wars is much more of an MMO then many listed on the side panel. Many heavily instance/shard their worlds (AoC, EQ2, TR, etc)

But if GW isn't an MMO that would make sense because its not a senseless grinder like the rest

You can create a character for pvp day #1 that is max leveled. you will never ever need to grind in GW. Money is not needed for PVP. The emphasis is on player skill- not grinding

Very good pvp only downside is the max number allowed is what 12vs12? Been awhile since I've played bout to return. Tired of grinding for ISK in EVE Online

• EndDreamEndDream Member Posts: 1,152

guildwars isnt an mmo.. it is however fun.. which i cant say for most mmos....

Remember Old School Ultima Online

• CamthylionCamthylion Member UncommonPosts: 220

Sounds like it's what im looking for, I think im going to give it a try... won't hurt to try it atleast I just hope I like it! 

• ahhchuuahhchuu Member Posts: 5

Cam, this game is exactly what you are looking for. At least what you explained you wanted. Like a previous post said you can go into PvP right from the get-go but it is good to play through some of the game to unlock skills and items. This will give you an advantage in PvP plus you will get used to the way Guild Wars works. If you all of a sudden want to use your main character in PvP, it only takes a little while to max your level. Guild Wars isn't about leveling. There are 20 levels. Give the game a try. You could probably get a trial key from someone. I gave all mine out already.

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Dont forget.. you dont have to pay any pesky monthly fees either.

You have considerably more flexibility in fighting by mixing up all the classes (like Ritualist with necro skills, or Paragon with Dervish skills) than any other Pvp game out now. So if you mix in the classes that stand alone, then mix in the possible combos, there is simply no one class or combo that will own anything else, which makes this the fairest form of Pvp around.

I dont like pvp very much, but this is the one pvp game that I actually liked. The PvE quests arent bad but the focus is pvp. If you dont have a lot of time to sit around, you can put up a LFG or just take some NPCs to fight along with you.

I think youll like this game. This game is actually worlds better than Warhammer as well.

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

I've racked up 6500 hrs on Guild Wars since release (and subsequent additions) - money well spent.

Leveling is fast, gaining elite skills takes a bit longer, PvP is fun and fast.

Story / plot / music is great. Its packed full of people all the time in most major parts.

If you haven't tried it yet, you can't go wrong for $40 for all 3 additions to start.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

I never considered the game to be a mmo and thats fine with me. Been playing for 3 years and it has been lots of fun. Guild Wars 2 is in the making and can't wait to see what it will look like. Though I must say other than WOW, Guild Wars has been a very popular and successful game.

• CamthylionCamthylion Member UncommonPosts: 220

Sounds like I missed out on the game that suits me best messing with duds...  I perfer shadowbane type game play if you have ever played it... I enjoy pvp and quick lvling I like making different classes hate playing 1 character for 1 month to get it near max :P but I plan on buying GW by this weekend and trying it out what ive read from u guys and the offical GW site I think I will like it.

• RayanaRayana Member UncommonPosts: 525
    Originally posted by Camthylion

Sounds like I missed out on the game that suits me best messing with duds...  I perfer shadowbane type game play if you have ever played it... I enjoy pvp and quick lvling I like making different classes hate playing 1 character for 1 month to get it near max :P but I plan on buying GW by this weekend and trying it out what ive read from u guys and the offical GW site I think I will like it.

Before you do, there's something you should know. The PvE grind is pretty non-existant. But if you are looking for PvP mainly, then you will face the unlock grind. You will need to unlock skills and runes and weapon upgrades for your PvP char, and that can take quite a while. Unless you buy unlock packs, but that means you will be spending a lot more money.

------------------------------------------------

Playing: Final Fantasy Online: ARR, Destiny
    Most memorable games for me: UO, GW1, LoTRO

• Lonesamurai1Lonesamurai1 Member Posts: 1,210

Sounds like it's what im looking for, I think im going to give it a try... won't hurt to try it atleast I just hope I like it! 

Ok, put it this way

for £25 (whatever in $'s) you can now get all three campaigns and the expansion in one package which has given me over 6,000 hours of fun over the last 4 years (including beta)

and a casual freindly game you can come and go from any time

imageimage

• endlesoneendlesone Member Posts: 109

Hi there welcome to Guild Wars if ever you'll be playing the game just add me in your friend list in-game. my ign is Revenant Grail i'll be happy to  help you out anyway i can

• tenetketenetke Member Posts: 15

I have played several MMO's including the more traditional style. Guild Wars is by far the best. I have had my problems with it in the past, but after playing WoW for a bit I know how good the game is. You can make it to level 20 in about 2 days if not sooner. That is if you go through the storylines, if you just want to jump into pvp you can do that from the start.

As for unlocking stuff, just do some random arenas, you pretty much have to anyway. That and the zaishen challenges and you will have enough to unlock stuff already. Then you can start building around that to unlock whatever you need. I guess if you wanted to unlock every single thing it could take awhile but if you just want to unlock what you will be using that will go really fast.

The biggest fighting would be 12 vs 12. That is the kurz vs luxon battles. Nothing like 24 people having at each other. The part I like about those battles is they aren't just slaughter the enemy. Sure that will net you some faction, but the cool parts are gaining control of certain points. Having a dragon on your team for example.

Goodluck on the game I think you will really enjoy it.

• ssnautilusssnautilus Member Posts: 373

If you really wish to ENJOY the game as it unfolds, then may I recommend you start with Prophecies first. You will understand the backstory, and not run about confused if you get other expansions first.

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

Organized higher forms of PvP such as HA and GvG are easily the best and most skill requiring in any game at the moment. While RA and AB sure may be fun they're in comparison close to nothing when taken into consideration the amount of skill required or how fun winning is. I'd recommend you to join a decently active PvP guild that does HA or GvG regularly since you'll get the most fun out of PvP from that.

• TheHowellerTheHoweller Member Posts: 407

I consider Guild Wars to be an MMO, in that it has a "Massive" amount of players, less-so than years past.  But nonetheless, to me it's an amazing MMO.  The days of its prime were my little cherub, but I've moved on to better things...

For you though, have at it, Guild Wars was always good to me.  For someone new, it'll be damned fun.  And yes, like others have said, start in Prophecies.  There's no sense in starting with Factions, unless you want to max out your level in a day.  I'll leave that seperate rant out of the discussion; point being, try it out....20 Bucks is WELL worth it.  (I spent 50, three times (2 for Prophecies, 1 for Factions(mistake) ) ).

-------------------------------
    It's honestly like everyone logs onto WoW, and games like WoW, just to masturbate. Everyone plays by themselves, and when they don't, they get what they want and get off.
    -------------------------------
    Originally posted by atziluth...
    Ah yes when the unreasonable are faced with reason they must resort to personal attacks...When you are ready to move up from the kids table you can talk with the grown ups.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

If you just want to PvP you can start out a max level character directly and unlock the skills with PvP XP. You can also get the skills in PvE (you cap them from bosses.

Prophesis takes a while to level up in, it is fater than most MMOs but still takes some time. Factions and nightfall is a lot faster but not really as fun.

Guildwars is a really good PvP game but the problem in PvE is that you kinda stop evolving after a while, most gear is just having a different look.

But the game is worth it's cash, no game has a PvP system that is that good.

You'll probably need all the expansion, is a nice pack for it. The faction campaign is worth playing thru since some nice PvP scenarios open up there.

Guildwars is a CORPG, not a true MMO (or at least that is what arenanet say). Guildwars 2 however will be more traditional, I have big expectations of it. GW is the only game I played that the winner of a PvP match is always the best players, not the ones with best gear.

• DarrendilDarrendil Member UncommonPosts: 12

Look... I´ve played wow, Lineage II, Eve online, Knight Online, Mu online (yep it sux, but it was my first mmo :P), CoH, and some more i cant remember right now:P... Whats good about the game are mainly two things... If you just love PvP, then you can create a PvP char, top level and start unlocking skills by killing ppl, the second great thing is that if you choose to play a role char, leveling it up in not a pain in the ass like for instance lineage, the main storry is great... I loved it.. i´d say that it compells you to keep playing thus falling into the risk of forgetting your actual life :P... But the story is just great, it makes the reaching to the 20´s a very smooth ride.. Bare in mind that almost at the middle of the story line you´ll get to 20... Just give it a try and you´l love it :D