Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No Loot in COS...

I agree in the most aspects of this game which it apearrs  it offers.. some of them are brand new and fresh which is frankly  exactly what mmo rpg market needs today after all the wow clones ( wow copied some other games also) we ve been delivered by various other games .

Although...

I honestly do not understand why they desided that loot will be only for decoration reasons... honestly .. i cant think of any reason..

I favor the idea that loot shouldnt play the role that it plays in games like wow,L2 and majority of other mmo's ,

but at least it must adds some minor stats.. Something like dungeons and dragons pen and paper philosophy where talents and feats play the 80% of your character quality and 20% the gear..

But in cos it seems gear= 0% and the drops agony on bosses and random mobs ,that fewling.. i dont know mates i  couldnt play a role playign game mmo or single player if no loot at all..

And im afraid if devs of COS wont add stats at least in minor onto items dropped loads of players wont even try a beta..

Comments

• ssnautilusssnautilus Member Posts: 373

CoH/V has no loot system. Works just fine.

• SteelroseSteelrose Member UncommonPosts: 215
    Originally posted by tazarconan

I honestly do not understand why they desided that loot will be only for decoration reasons... honestly .. i cant think of any reason..

Well.. I don't know... let's say realism? Why should some silly helmet give you a bonus to strength? That's radicilous.

• kassimankassiman Member Posts: 77
    Originally posted by Steelrose

Well.. I don't know... let's say realism? Why should some silly helmet give you a bonus to strength? That's radicilous.

oh, so TCoS going to be realistic game no magic or stuff like that ? comeon think about it how many fantasy world had no magic items?

looking realism in fantasy game seems bit funny dont you think ?

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

Its a PvP game. If you want gear to grant you win, try every other game.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• SteelroseSteelrose Member UncommonPosts: 215
    Originally posted by kassiman

oh, so TCoS going to be realistic game no magic or stuff like that ? comeon think about it how many fantasy world had no magic items?

No, I want a medieval simulator. If this game can provide me with at least some bits of realism, then I'm all in.

• RhannekRhannek Member Posts: 47

I personally like the enhancement a lot, and it's not really that there are no stats on anything, the armor just doesnt come with base stats, the stats are applied to the armor of your choice, so you look how you want but you still do need some stats.

------------------
    Playing:LotRO
    Waiting for: anything better than whats out now.

• kassimankassiman Member Posts: 77

Originally posted by kassiman

No, I want a medieval simulator. If this game can provide me with at least some bits of realism, then I'm all in.

have you tried mount and blade? single player but does the trick.

• DelanorDelanor Member Posts: 659

This game is so different from WoW clones that you will need to try it first before passing judgement over aspects of it. Or be better informed about it.

--
    Delanor

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

I am not entirely convinced about the CoH approach.

The only way it could work if the game was story driven like SWTOR.

If TCOS is not story driven (as I believe), what will push people playing it for years to come?

I mean CoH is doing ok, but from a super-hero game the way you look is your trademark, in a Fantasy I don't think that will be reason good enough to keep playing it

But I will try it.

• Brone87Brone87 Member Posts: 244

Items do not have stats until you supply the item with Sigils. So in my mind you wont be hunting for items as much as you will be for Sigils. This in essense should be the same thing.

Also I think TCOS's approach to items without stats is absolutely brilliant. No longer is everyone going to be after the SAME exact set of armor and looking the same. Also something that sounds totally cool is the idea that a Mage can pick a hulking character model and dress his character in all plate to fool any attacker into thinking they are a heavy warrior. The same could be said about a warrior class, pick a little shrimpy character model and wear a robe so people go on you instead of your mage friend.

• daylight01daylight01 Member Posts: 2,250

Dont forget you cant apply sigils to armor only to jewellary and to some weapons.

Armor is 100% just for looks.

If someone had came up to me in 1980 when I was on my Atari 2600 and said we will be playing games with thousands of people at the same time.I guess my response would have been,"but I only have 2 joysticks"

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/235780/page/8

• LeojLeoj Member Posts: 98
    Originally posted by ste2000

If TCOS is not story driven (as I believe), what will push people playing it for years to come?

I mean CoH is doing ok, but from a super-hero game the way you look is your trademark, in a Fantasy I don't think that will be reason good enough to keep playing it

But I will try it.

TCoS not story driven?  You might want to check up on this game again....

Originally posted by Leoj

But I will try it.

TCoS not story driven?  You might want to check up on this game again....

Admittedly I am not well informed on this game, I read the FAQs few months ago.

But I plan to try it anyway so I guess I will discover it.

• talismen351talismen351 Member Posts: 1,124

But I will try it.

Well perhaps they way they plan on keeping ppl playing for years to come is by doing what so few games offer...fun, excitement, community. All this crying about gear needing stats is silly. As another poster said, in life you don't get a hat that makes you smarter, tho for many ppl this wouldn't hurt. This game is based on skills, how you play, you may even need to think of a strategy before you attack a mob or another player. Not just count on the fact that you have the better gear.

Ultima Online was the favorite game of all time to many players. It didn't have gear that added stats (least in the start), it also had no death penelty (lost your gear n some fame, both which were easy to replace).

In my opinion once you take away the 'loot gear grind' , perhaps ppl will play the game to have fun and enjoy the gameworld rather than just tryin to e-bay everything.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Originally posted by Delanor

This game is so different from WoW clones that you will need to try it first before passing judgement over aspects of it. Or be better informed about it.

Yeah i think you have to try this first...im kinda like the Op and Im a little confused as to what will keep me playing TCoS if there really isnt much loot ....... I liked what I saw of the combat system but the rest of the game seems a little sketchy right now.

Originally posted by talismen351

In my opinion once you take away the 'loot gear grind' , perhaps ppl will play the game to have fun and enjoy the gameworld rather than just tryin to e-bay everything.

Yes I agree, In a sandbox that will make sense, because the MMO is more of  a virtual world than a game.

But in linear games like TCOS the way I see it, the gear are the price for your efforts.

If you take away that, what will keep you grinding quests, mobs and players (pvp)?

Look WAR for example, open RvR poor rewards (loot) = zones deserted.

You have a look at the scenarios, good rewards (loot) = long queues.

I mean same game totally different approach of player base towards those 2 features.

See what I am talking about?

I am not saying it is impossible to make a linear game fun and loot free.

But I just can't see it.

That's why I will try this game, I need to see it with my own eyes.

Originally posted by talismen351

Yes I agree, In a sandbox that will make sense, because the MMO is more of  a virtual world than a game.

But in linear games like TCOS the way I see it, the gear are the price for your efforts.

If you take away that, what will keep you grinding quests, mobs and players (pvp)?

Look WAR for example, open RvR poor rewards (loot) = zones deserted.

You have a look at the scenarios, good rewards (loot) = long queues.

I mean same game totally different approach of player base towards those 2 features.

See what I am talking about?

I am not saying it is impossible to make a linear game fun and loot free.

But I just can't see it.

That's why I will try this game, I need to see it with my own eyes.

This is a pretty storng post ste,I mean you have labled the game linear and you havent even played it yet?

Do you know anything about the ancestral quests?the guild pvp?the building off your player?

This game isnt a simple "woohoo grats me I just lvl'd"

This game wont be for everyone,I am sure ppl that have done some research can also say that,this game is for a player that will use skill and enjoy an attack system that doesnt involve 1122213 and have fun at the sametime.

I would say this game is far from linear,infact I would say....going by video's ofc that this game is very much different from the normal mmo's that get spilled out these day's.

But ofc this is just my opinion.

If someone had came up to me in 1980 when I was on my Atari 2600 and said we will be playing games with thousands of people at the same time.I guess my response would have been,"but I only have 2 joysticks"

• tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013

Having small bonuses on armours and weapons wont change the fate of a battle SINCE ITS JUST A SMALL ADDITION ON STATS...

Honestly ppl sometimes i think u cant read well the posts ppl make...

All i said is i agree loot  stats shouldnt play a serious factor cause skill is above all but dont have stats on armours at all???

Its a frieking medieval fantasy game OFC i excpect some magic items with stats

• VyntVynt Member UncommonPosts: 757

If you want to take this from a realistic standpoint (which is a bit silly in a fantasy mmo) then people wore helmets and armor and had swords in real life for a reason. It benefited them!. The armor protected them, thus in game terms, it added defensive stats. The weapon added to their offense. perhaps lugging around all that heavy armor made them stronger, thus a str bonus there.

People in the past, gearing for war, didn't just put on something that looked cool and was comfortable. So, if you want this more realistic, it is pointless to have equipment in the game that has no bearing except to make you look pretty.

The sigils thing, if it is not on equipment, then that has no bearing at all, but if it is, then its just a different way of collecting equipment with stats, you just the stats later. It seems the point is to give people more superficial customization, not make it realistic. If anything, it is less "realistic".

Equipment with stats does not have to determine everything either. In daoc, people ended up basically with all the same stats, or very close, so the skill really determined things. Some people said class and spec mattered, but some classes that should not lose to another did, because of skill.  Obtaining equipment to cap out stats was rather easy, so if you did not have the gear to compete, it was blatant laziness. The ultra casual gamer could get the same gear anyone else could.

Originally posted by Vynt

If you want to take this from a realistic standpoint (which is a bit silly in a fantasy mmo) then people wore helmets and armor and had swords in real life for a reason. It benefited them!. The armor protected them, thus in game terms, it added defensive stats. The weapon added to their offense. perhaps lugging around all that heavy armor made them stronger, thus a str bonus there.
    People in the past, gearing for war, didn't just put on something that looked cool and was comfortable. So, if you want this more realistic, it is pointless to have equipment in the game that has no bearing except to make you look pretty.
    The sigils thing, if it is not on equipment, then that has no bearing at all, but if it is, then its just a different way of collecting equipment with stats, you just the stats later. It seems the point is to give people more superficial customization, not make it realistic. If anything, it is less "realistic".
    Equipment with stats does not have to determine everything either. In daoc, people ended up basically with all the same stats, or very close, so the skill really determined things. Some people said class and spec mattered, but some classes that should not lose to another did, because of skill.  Obtaining equipment to cap out stats was rather easy, so if you did not have the gear to compete, it was blatant laziness. The ultra casual gamer could get the same gear anyone else could.

This could be well and true if all games were played on role playing servers.....or indeed if wearing full plate armor in some games never gave you something like +200 agility :)

• enochellisarenochellisar Member Posts: 6

Frankly, I can't wait for this game.  When I first heard about it - I read up on it and was like.... Holy Crap - someone with imagination and ability is making a game.

No orcs and elves, but  still fantasy!  The artwork, the music, the concpets, the story, everything in this game looks like it will be a refreshing change

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Having small bonuses on armours and weapons wont change the fate of a battle SINCE ITS JUST A SMALL ADDITION ON STATS...
    Honestly ppl sometimes i think u cant read well the posts ppl make...
    All i said is i agree loot  stats shouldnt play a serious factor cause skill is above all but dont have stats on armours at all???
    Its a frieking medieval fantasy game OFC i excpect some magic items with stats

Sigils are loot.

They are the primary game motivator and player retainer. They fulfill every function 'gear' does in WoW or whatever.

If you don't believe this you will see soon.

Originally posted by vesavius 
    Sigils are loot.
    They are the primary game motivator and player retainer. They fulfill every function 'gear' does in WoW or whatever.

I wish ppl would read about the game 1st before posting as it would save having to stop foolish rumors from spreading.

Sigils do not fulfill every function gear does in wow.

You can only attach a sigil to some weapons and to jewellary items,you CANT attach them to any pieces of armor or shields,it is not like they are saying armor is just for looks but hey you can attach items to make them stronger......YOU CANT!

Try reading the sticky at the top of this forum so you can educate yourself on the game.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by daylight01

Originally posted by vesavius 
    Sigils are loot.

I wish ppl would read about the game 1st before posting as it would save having to stop foolish rumors from spreading.

Sigils do not fulfill every function gear does in wow.

You can only attach a sigil to some weapons and to jewellary items,you CANT attach them to any pieces of armor or shields,it is not like they are saying armor is just for looks but hey you can attach items to make them stronger......YOU CANT!

Try reading the sticky at the top of this forum so you can educate yourself on the game.

You misunderstand me. And why are you ranting in caps at me?

I mean that sigils will be the prime player motivator (as gear is in WoW)

I mean that, as such, they will be the main player retention mechanic (as gear is in WoW)

Try comprehending what is written before you get all precious and dictatorial?

Again you are incorrect,there is no super uber sigils,once a player has the set up he/she likes there is no need to look for more,they give small bonus like +500 health say at lvl 50,you wont be getting epic sigils with +2%crit +36 agility.

Aplayer will build his character and use the sigils for what he feels is best for him,maybe a player would like the extra health one's so he doesnt die so fast and once he has them in the slots,thats it no need to look for them again,so no this is not the players motivation.

edit-sorry I just seen you have edited your post,I wasnt ranting at you in caps just emphisising the word cant.