Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Common Scammer Ploys! Noobs, beware of:

AlphaGeekAlphaGeek Member UncommonPosts: 193

As a newcomer to Entropia, you should be aware that since the PE economy is linked to the Real World economy, criminals have found the game and work within it. They want your money, and they will stoop quite low in order to get it. Most often this will take the general form of a confidence scam.

Protect your virtual property, and your Peds. Beware of:

People offerring armor upgrades. Armor cannot be upgraded or colored.

People who say their trade window is bugged, and want you to put yout PEDs or items on the ground in order to trade with them. Also, watch the trade window carefully durung the final steps of the transaction, sometimes scammers will pull items from their trade window at the last minute.

Email that asks you for your account name and password.

I should mention that by far and away, the residents of planet Calypso are honorable and honest. As with any situation, keep an eye out, though.

Hope this helps someone!

AG

Alpha AG Geek
Founder- Manticore Society

Comments

• Nytewolf2k7Nytewolf2k7 Member Posts: 181

Remember: If something sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

I was nearly scammed by someone ingame, not a common occurance, but it does happen. I was only a newb at the time. Vigilante Armour cannot be upgraded/coloured, or any armour for that matter.

Sick of playing Entropia Universe? Want to quit, but don't want your hard earned money to vanish? Give your items to ME :-)

• DashNightDashNight Member Posts: 11

Yes it is very unfortunate that these people now inhabit our planet. Some of the scam tactics I have had tried on me and the ones that I have read about really do ring alarm bells for the unsuspecting noob. Personally I have never been scammed, one guy came close to scamming my wife lucky that we sit side by side when we play. I quickly put a stop to that and filed a support case to MA with screen shots including chat. By by scammer. To all noobs, do your homework and gather as much info as you can on a constant basis. Be very cautious of the "to good to be true. "

Dash...

• AlphaGeekAlphaGeek Member UncommonPosts: 193

Another tactic I've used to reduce the likelyhood of scammers continuing operation is if they start PMing me and go into scam mode, I start replying in public, making sure I say in public what they're telling me, in addition to my response. That lets others in the area see who's doing it and helps them avoid the scammer.

...and file a support case with date, time, location, and the name of the avatar!

AG

Alpha AG Geek

• FireForkFireFork Member Posts: 64

Rule are so simple to prevent scam:

1. Don't trust anyone in Entropia as a noob, exept me :D
    2. Don't lend out anything, even if you think you know him. (have a friend that lend out his modified gun and never saw it again, it was a Soceity member that had been member for over a year. (35000 ped gone)).
    3. Don't trade if you are not 100 % sure of the market value of traded items.
    4. Don't take the first Mentor you find, you maybe will regret it later on, plz be carefull here if you want to have fun in Entropia.
    5. Don't let anyone sell items for you, eg. sweat. have heard about it before, you and 10 other players sweat and on of the guys sell it for you all in PA, maybe he sell it but he takes profit and you can't check how much. 

Just be smart and you will do fine in there.

Have been in there since 2003, my place is Chimera Canyons .

• MrchompyMrchompy Member Posts: 58

Yes to all the above.

You have to think of it as real life, since the economy is real life based.

Who would you let borrow something worth $3500 (35,000 PED), using the example above? Probably just your family, and personally, I have some family I wouldn't let borrow something worth that much.

• AlphaGeekAlphaGeek Member UncommonPosts: 193

Another disreputible tactic that has come to my attention is that there is at least one person in game offering to team with newcomers. The team loot distribution with this character is always "Most damage takes all".

The... person... in question generally has better firepower than their victims, but is prudent enough to let their mark take the first few mobs in order to gain a ffalse sense of security.

The lesson here? If you team with another player, discuss the distrbution of loot before agreeing, and double check the team settings to verify that they agree whith whatever was stated verbally.

While discussing, it may be a good idea to discuss big ticket items that fall into loot windows. Many players (all members of my Soc included) add an additiional stipulation that any item with a street price over 50 PED will be split even amongst team members. Not all teams do this, and some deals use a different value , so your mileage may vary.  Just make sure all team members agree to whatever is set up.

AG

Alpha AG Geek