Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The devs think the players don't matter.

That's why this game went down in flames and will never be good again.

They added magic and ruined the beautiful base thay established; a base of realistic ship combat was turned into WOW on the ocean.

Typical and the very reason this game is finished.

If I ran the company I'd fire these selfish developers and hire people who understand players and gaming.

Comments

• DJXeonDJXeon Member UncommonPosts: 553

i have to admit that for a company that claims to listen a tremendous amount goes in one ear & immediately out of the other!

Listening appears to have little effect on what the FLS devs eventually end up doing which is more often than not unrelated to the current issues players are experiencing in-game.Even when they do decide to put down an outcry it is all too little too late with inadequate solutions that have all too many bad side effects which lead to population losses.

Despite having a great refreshing idea & creating some good ship combat FLS have only themselves to blame for setting the standards of how not to create an mmorpg & without any major organizational changes Rusty is likely to waste another load of his money catering for a game that may never make a profit.

• GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

Unusually frustrated post there GB?  What in particular prompted this?

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

Originally posted by Gyrus

Unusually frustrated post there GB?  What in particular prompted this?

Only the fact that there are so many little things & tons of good practical suggestions that FLS have chosen to ignor that could make a huge difference to the overall game.

Potbs should be doing better not only for itself but for its subscribers & it's very sad to see that such a potentially great game to come to be at the low populated state it is in today with no hope a sudden turn around of fortunes until FLS recruits more devs to meet its commitments by adding more content & improving the balance of ingame systems.

We are only left to wonder if FLS are committed enough to put it right as they have already embarked on a new project by taking Dev's off Potbs.

• VetarniasVetarnias Member UncommonPosts: 630

I've been reading the forums.

Milestone 10 isn't exactly well received by the community.

Sorry to say, but I think the end is in sight, especially if they continue in this direction.

A few months left, I'd say.  They could make it to a year, but not much beyond that.

And I must admit - the Aussie community seems to be bailing - a few are very angry at Rusty's continous cryptic messages and hints.

• mrprogguymrprogguy Member Posts: 53
    Originally posted by obamaphony

They added magic and ruined the beautiful base thay established; a base of realistic ship combat was turned into WOW on the ocean.
    If I ran the company I'd fire these selfish developers and hire people who understand players and gaming.

I think you're blaming the wrong group.  It matters not whether or not the developers (the coders, the artists, the scripters) understand players or gaming.  It matters if the designers understand players and gaming.

It would be nice if players and gamers understood the difference.

Arguing with me will not make you right.

• VetarniasVetarnias Member UncommonPosts: 630
    Originally posted by mrprogguy

Originally posted by obamaphony

I think you're blaming the wrong group.  It matters not whether or not the developers (the coders, the artists, the scripters) understand players or gaming.  It matters if the designers understand players and gaming.

It would be nice if players and gamers understood the difference.

This game is a weird case, actually.  The lead designer did show some signs of understanding gamers' mentality -- just type in "next big failure" and "isildur" and you should get all the evidence you need.  But they don't show any sign of having followed through on that.  Blame DrewC and Rusty mostly for giving us "no crying in the red circle" then putting meat around it.  And blame Isildur for having retreated from public life ever since the game went live.

To Gyrus: Oh yeah, I saw the latest Rusty quote.  If I were an Aussie, I'd probably have enough of those "by the end of the week" by now, considering how Rusty has been sprinkling those over the forums for two months at least.

Originally posted by Vetarnias

This game is a weird case, actually.  The lead designer did show some signs of understanding gamers' mentality -- just type in "next big failure" and "isildur" and you should get all the evidence you need.  But they don't show any sign of having followed through on that.  Blame DrewC and Rusty mostly for giving us "no crying in the red circle" then putting meat around it.  And blame Isildur for having retreated from public life ever since the game went live.

Yes.  This is the strangest thing of all really.

Isildur seemed to understand MMO gamer psychology quite well at times?

But the game shows none of that insight?

So, either he was over-ruled, or he got cold feet or he never really understood at all?

Originally posted by Gyrus

Yes.  This is the strangest thing of all really.
    Isildur seemed to understand MMO gamer psychology quite well at times?
    But the game shows none of that insight?

So, either he was over-ruled, or he got cold feet or he never really understood at all?

Without digging out all the posts Isildur has often referred to the limitations of design by committee where he has his hands tied to what he wanted to do. Rusty has also referred to liking the kind of unrestricted PvP game that only he & 50 others players like; DrewC has been taken off the committee onto the new project as it has been generally acknowledged that his vision of playing unfairly was doing Potbs more harm than good.

Mistakes have been made but FLS does not have a clear vision of how to change it & appear to have lost their way. They are searching for an answer but nobody in FLS is leading the way, they have no expert in design or project manager with the vision needed or the dev resourses to put things right. Rusty is actively looking to recruit a superdev that will change it all but that is a longshot imo.