Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why so much bad mouthing this game?

13»

Comments

• arkady09arkady09 Member Posts: 245

You said - AOC 10/10 for crafters 9/10.  I would say for crafters pre patch it was a 2/10 and now I can assume maybe 3/10? The materials gathering hasnt changed much if at all, so thats still like sticking pencil in ones eye, isnt it?

• PezzBombPezzBomb Member Posts: 248
    Originally posted by arkady09

You said - AOC 10/10 for crafters 9/10.  I would say for crafters pre patch it was a 2/10 and now I can assume maybe 3/10? The materials gathering hasnt changed much if at all, so thats still like sticking pencil in ones eye, isnt it?

Well what I ment to say was. AoC is a 10/10 considering the elements most important to me. Crafting is however not that good, which would pull down the game to a 9/10 for people that like a lot of crafting in their MMORPG.

This is what I ment and I do not think I am too fare off looking on about 30-50 other reviews out there. 

• SinReaperSinReaper Member Posts: 175
    Originally posted by PezzBomb

Originally posted by arkady09

Well what I ment to say was. AoC is a 10/10 considering the elements most important to me. Crafting is however not that good, which would pull down the game to a 9/10 for people that like a lot of crafting in their MMORPG.

This is what I ment and I do not think I am too fare off looking on about 30-50 other reviews out there. 

Which elements are important to you? Also, are you stating that the amount of crafting one likes in their MMO would rate a different score as opposed to how a crafting system is set up?

In other words, if I don't like a lot of crafting in my MMO; then I should like AoC's crafting system because a) it's not very good and b) because I don't like to craft too much, I won't miss it?

Again, please elaborate on what elements are important to you. I'd like to read that very much.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    Originally posted by PezzBomb

So, your repeated "10/10" statements aren't meant to be your objective review of the game as a whole, but rather an indication of how much you like just the parts of the game that are important to you?  Would that be accurate?

What are the parts that are important to you?

Being as objective as possible, how would you rate the game overall, including all the parts of the game, not just the ones that "are important to you"?

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• ardohainardohain Member Posts: 103
    Originally posted by SignusM
    People hate this game because the developers lied. Every step of the way they lied. They lied about epic PvP sieges, they lied about revolutionary 8 direction combat, they lied about spell weaving, drunken brawling, city building.

heheh...i almost totally forgot about the drunken brawling. my RL buddies had been planning guild events specifically around drunken brawling  over a year before the game released. LOL... obviously: never happened.

• PezzBombPezzBomb Member Posts: 248

Rohn and Sin Reaper I take your questions and our discussion over the thread where it belongs, which is my 10/10 review.

• immortumimmortum Member Posts: 18

I would have to agree with what most people have said about the game in the forums with regards to promises with little delivery.  I believe that the advertisement of what the game offered is what drew me to AoC.  The producers offered a new way to do PvP in mass open combat, combat formations for groups, mounted combat, player cities, all mixed into the realm and lore of the Conan stories.  All I really got was the Conan Lore and part of the player cities.  PvP reminded me of Ultima Online with the feeling of inevetible player killing and having to be on the constant lookout for a PK while trying to read some of the lore during quests is just not fun.  Mounted combat is ackward at best along with the non existent battle formations.  Player cities do not offer player housing and feel more like giant guild halls.  The zones are relatively small and few but are engaging and full of eye candy.  There are no rewards for the avid explorers though.

I do not feel AoC is a horrible game.  I actually tought it was entertaining and still believe that there is hope for it.  It would take a great deal of work from the programmers though to fix the large number of bugs and finalize a product that can be delivered without giving customers the feeling that they had been lied to.  I will likely try it again in a few months to see what the state of the game is in.

• nileqnileq Member Posts: 476
    Originally posted by Calintz333

I actually dont prefer ether of those, I personally like Lots of characteter customization a very large world that rewards you for exploring it, and group oriented PVE content, PvP is not my cup of tea unless its something along the lines of 40vs40.

Have ago at Darkfall Beta (now in december) that game would probably fit an explorer very nicely. No instanseing (no loading screens) and it will take you 8 IRL hours to walk from one end to the other.

Also, no levels so you can explore then entire game-world from day-one.

If you are heavily into visual customization of you avatar, DFO won't be for you tough (then I would recommend Aion or something). But cusomiziation based on skills is heavy in DFO.

Good luck

I have nothing clever to say.

• CharlizdCharlizd Member UncommonPosts: 923

The thing is FC screwed up at launch but they gave what the players wnated, the palyers wnated it now so they gave it and it was not rdy so i dont blame FC entirely i blame the players and there whiny little demands, you see it too often nowadays you know you never see Console players demanding that a game get releasedearly just to satisfy them. We as a Gaming Community are growing spoilt and what everything with the drop of a coin and then we do nothing but complain when that coin does nothing but fall flat.

The game in it's current state is what it should have been at release and to be honest if it released now instead of back then it would Blow Warhammer out of the water, and before you bash me i play both of these games. The urnaround AoC has made is amazing in my eyes, i am yet to find one thing i dont like about AoC, been plenty off ppl to party with, spent 3-4 hours doing a dungeon Run the other day and was amazed at getting 70+ fps usually running between 30 -40 fps in crowded areas to be honest i have better FPS in this game than i do with Warhammer and most others i have played.

DFO does look Good but Honestly is there gonna be enough of us MMOers to keep the game alive, Yes we need another good New Sandbox MMO but how long is it gonna be before ppl start complaining there is nothing to do? Ryzom is a bloody good Sandbox game and what do ppl complain about? there is nothing to do it is a Sandbox MMO you decide what you need to do, how Many ppl out there want a game that is basically focused on PVP?, Warhammer has lost a lot of PPl as this was it's main Focus, LoTRO lost a lot off ppl because there was no PVP FURY lost it's life casue all there was to do was PVP, can you see the Pattern? Games need to be Diverse in all aspects of gameplay these days in order to suceed WoW does great because it is Player Friendly PVP is ok PVE is great both are easy to do in that game the thing the other games have failed in is that they focussed too much on one Aspect.

Back when WoW first came out the whole PVP thing was not as big as it is today, or else it would be suffering what most games are today. People of todays MMO community expect to much you are paying no more for the Top of the line Graphics game to what you are for the Shitty Graphics game, seriously what is it that you want, I bet there is not i bet there are not 2 ppl out that want the exact thing in a game,( and dont any 1 come on here and tell me they do because i can gurantee if there were 2 ppl with similar taste once in game there will be something that they though should be different)  so how can these gaming company's get it right? they cant they can only do what the Majority of the players want and hope for the best, and in most cases does not go so well For Example AoC, Vanguard, LoTRO, Warhammer, e.t.c all of these games should have been huge hits but all have failed in 1 area or another.

I say quit Bashing the Games for sure bash the Makers but take the time to learn the game and see what potential it has, dont give it a 2 hour trial and say " I have seen all that i can bare" because you havn't, i was ready to leave AoC when i was at Tortage even tho it was fun i just did not think it was gonna appeal to me but once i left i have not looked back.

Just my 2 cents worth, guess i just hate how we as a community are so demanding yet we dont give any credit to a title when it is deserved, i agree FC are shitty for what they done But AoC as a game Deserves better.

Andrew "Charlizd" Phippen | Lead World Builder | The Saga of Lucimia MMORPG
  • VespersVespers Member Posts: 246

Originally posted by charlizd
    The thing is FC screwed up at launch but they gave what the players wnated, the palyers wnated it now so they gave it and it was not rdy so i dont blame FC entirely i blame the players and there whiny little demands, you see it too often nowadays you know you never see Console players demanding that a game get releasedearly just to satisfy them. We as a Gaming Community are growing spoilt and what everything with the drop of a coin and then we do nothing but complain when that coin does nothing but fall flat.

Charlizd, I have to disagree with you on this point. Funcom didnt release AoC because the players demanded it to be released just so they could play it. The decision to release the game way too early was purely based of their financial situation.
    You have to realize that these gaming companies all have investors who require a timeline and deadline to be met. If the company cannot make good on their promises to their investors to deliver a product by a certain date than the investors will take their money and go else where.
    Funcom HAD to release AOC when it did or they would risk losing millions of dollars.
    Funcom made the exact mistake with AOC that Sigil did with Vanguard. The initial envisioned game was corrupted my mismanagement of a few key people and because of that mismanagement the game was cut back, dumbed down, and sacrificed for the sake of meeting it's investor created deadline.
    WAR has a similar problem and because of that problem 4 of the 6 major cities in that game, as well as 2 or 3 of the classes, never made it to Launch.

So, do not blame the players for Funcom's shortcomings. The total blame for AOC being in the state that it is current in rests solely on Funcom's shoulders and no one elses.

The Silver Lining of this AOC fiasco is that other gaming companies will now realize that if they cannot deliver what they promise then they risk failure of the game and possible failure of the company.