Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vehicle combat could spread outside of Hoth

ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

Someone on the Official forums posted this, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUw007jZ7QQ.  It's a bug that they were able to take the AT-ST out of Hoth (this is on TC, remember) but it does show that vehicle combat can exist outside of Hoth.  Here's hoping that combat vehicles outside of Hoth do become a reality in the near future :)

Comments

• efefiaefefia Member Posts: 631

Honestly Obraik, why don't you just go and play Battlefront 1&2?

Vehicular combat is just dumb, especially in the time period SWG is set in, they'd have to grab yet more bullshit from the EU, rebel "tanks"... ewwww, seems like you couldn't give two hoots about canon, Jeddai all over the place, reb "tanks".  Well for the record I hope they add it as well, if nothing else it'll drive more people to play SWTOR.

...The spread of secondary and latterly of tertiary education has created a large population of people, often with well developed literary and scholarly tastes, who have been educated far beyond their capacity to undertake analytical thought.

• ClixgamerClixgamer Member Posts: 21

I think that vehicle combat would be an excellent idea for SWG. If they have indeed broken that barrier in Hoth, then surely it can be implemented in the entire game. 

And in response to the previous poster, SWG is not just the Star Wars movies. You can't have SWG without EU. It has been that way since the beginning. The planet Dathomir and everything on it is straight from the Star Wars novel "The courtship of Princess Leia".

Anyway if everyone would just refrain from using the "N" word (NGE), maybe this curse can be lifted from SWG and people would see how good a game it realy is.

My $0.02.

Originally posted by Clixgamer

I think that vehicle combat would be an excellent idea for SWG. If they have indeed broken that barrier in Hoth, then surely it can be implemented in the entire game. 
    And in response to the previous poster, SWG is not just the Star Wars movies. You can't have SWG without EU. It has been that way since the beginning. The planet Dathomir and everything on it is straight from the Star Wars novel "The courtship of Princess Leia".
    Anyway if everyone would just refrain from using the "N" word (NGE), maybe this curse can be lifted from SWG and people would see how good a game it realy is.
    My $0.02.

There's a vet trial active right now, 30 days free for folks like me to go and see for ourselves how good a game SWG really is. I lasted less than 30 minutes, there's nothing good about it, from the shit combat, the even more shit control interface, and most shockingly for me, the dumb fools actually think they added content by adding farmfest instances and Restuss "pvp". They couldn't be further from the truth, by removing the focus on player cities and player dropped bases, they've actually taken more content out than the skeleton crew dev team that's working on the game currently would be able to put in if they had another 5 years to do it.

My $0.02. then is that the game ain't even worth playing, for free.

...The spread of secondary and latterly of tertiary education has created a large population of people, often with well developed literary and scholarly tastes, who have been educated far beyond their capacity to undertake analytical thought.

• John.A.ZoidJohn.A.Zoid Member Posts: 1,531

Again I'm going to have to troll this thread.

Ok first of all the game needs a z-axis and collision because seeing that vehicle tilt over the landscape is just pathetic and I know it's been something SWG has needed all along but if you have vehicle combat then you're going to need them things so it doesn't look sooo stupid. It's like seeing a giant Dino thing or w/e they are on Dath and seeing him walk along the ground over the bumps just looked stupid because he wud just have a tilt like he's stuck to the ground with moon boots.

Then second of all please get a new UI that looks nice cause I can't stand to look at that horrible clunky ugly thing.

Third please fucking sort out them retarded animations because they looks stupid

Forth sort out the poor effects

Finally Fix vehicle movement because it always has been retarded but if you add combat into the mix then it's even worse.

I know you're fed up of people trolling your threads but honestly why arn't SOE making fixes to the parts of the game that it needs to attract new people, it's just a broken mess of a game with crap new content because of all this shit that since the NGE has suddenly become more apparent that the game needs these things.

• talanisentalanisen Member Posts: 46

My $0.02.

I've spent the past couple of days trying to enjoy SWG again. What I'm finding is that the game has become so dependent on gear, collections, and buffs that I would have to spend an incredible amount of time grinding just to be effective in combat again.

Not to mention that my server (Tarq) is completely deserted. The greatest number of players I've been able to find with the new search function was 76... during prime time, during a free vet trial.

To be blunt.... I understand your affection for the game. I still have an emotional connection to my characters, to the few friends who do still play, to my old houses and my old player city. I badly want to play and enjoy a Star Wars MMO.

But SWG is not a good game. It is rididulously dependent on gear and buffs. The Heroic instances are entertaining only the first couple of times... after that they are incredily repetitive and boring. Collections are quite possible the most mind numbingly boring system ever created in the name of "entertainment". The few "story" elements found in the game are remarkably shallow and pathetic, even for a MMO.

The current SWG has replaced every instance of  "fun" with an instance of  "grinding". And by doing that, the current game is the worst iteration of the game that I have played. And that includes the game immedietly post NGE.

• SharkypalSharkypal Member Posts: 1,137
    Originally posted by efefia

My $0.02.

There's a vet trial active right now, 30 days free for folks like me to go and see for ourselves how good a game SWG really is. I lasted less than 30 minutes, there's nothing good about it, from the shit combat, the even more shit control interface, and most shockingly for me, the dumb fools actually think they added content by adding farmfest instances and Restuss "pvp". They couldn't be further from the truth, by removing the focus on player cities and player dropped bases, they've actually taken more content out than the skeleton crew dev team that's working on the game currently would be able to put in if they had another 5 years to do it.

Sounds like someone has poor hand eye coordination.

You can get mods that put the old UI back etc etc etc. All the things you complain about are inherent in EVERY MMO out there.

The type of MMO that SWG used to be is gone, and it alot of ways, that sucks, but it is what it is and no amount fo whining is going to change it.

S

• SharkypalSharkypal Member Posts: 1,137

You are, as always, entitled to YOUR opinion.

S

Originally posted by Sharkypal

Sounds like someone has poor hand eye coordination.

You can get mods that put the old UI back etc etc etc. All the things you complain about are inherent in EVERY MMO out there.

The type of MMO that SWG used to be is gone, and it alot of ways, that sucks, but it is what it is and no amount fo whining is going to change it.

S

Erm.... no actually, I've been playing Farcry 2 and Fallout 3 and having a blast, nothing wrong with my hand-eye coordination, not that it's relevent.

No mods, UI addons or anything of the like can fix what is simply bad combat mechanics, it's a core game problem and nothing that can be helped by tossing a pre-cu skin over it. That soft/hard lock thing is possibly the dumbest thing I've ever seen in any game that's got any form of combat. Couple that with the fact that they STILL to this day refuse to completely discard the free aim crap the NGE came along with, despite the fact that hardly anyone uses it and it immediately gives returning vets and new players a really bad first impression of the game when they start it up. Those are the things I'm complaining about and no, they're not inherent in every mmo, just SWG. Not every mmo out there has been bent over the table and rogered 3 times.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I could care less what others think about the game. What is important to me is that I enjoy it thoroughly and love talking about it.

So to get back on to topic...another addition to Hoth along with vehicle combat is atmospheric flight. I am really hoping that this opens the window for T-16 Skyhoppers, Bespin Cloud cars, and other types of air speeders to be added for planetary travel.  This would be an awesome addition to the game.

• ThunderousThunderous Member Posts: 1,152

Obraik, you are simply incorrect.

I know enough about this to understand that you will not see vehicular combat outside of an instance in SWG.  You won't see At-Ats roaming around Coronet in SWG.  Lack of collision and dirty code will prevent this from functionality.

The code and servers simply will not allow for that.  Once again you are trying to increase awareness for this game by lying to would-be consumers who read the message boards.

Tecmo Bowl.

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261
    Originally posted by John.A.Zoid

Again I'm going to have to troll this thread.

Ok first of all the game needs a z-axis and collision because seeing that vehicle tilt over the landscape is just pathetic and I know it's been something SWG has needed all along but if you have vehicle combat then you're going to need them things so it doesn't look sooo stupid. It's like seeing a giant Dino thing or w/e they are on Dath and seeing him walk along the ground over the bumps just looked stupid because he wud just have a tilt like he's stuck to the ground with moon boots.
    Then second of all please get a new UI that looks nice cause I can't stand to look at that horrible clunky ugly thing.
    Third please fucking sort out them retarded animations because they looks stupid
    Forth sort out the poor effects
    Finally Fix vehicle movement because it always has been retarded but if you add combat into the mix then it's even worse.

I know you're fed up of people trolling your threads but honestly why arn't SOE making fixes to the parts of the game that it needs to attract new people, it's just a broken mess of a game with crap new content because of all this shit that since the NGE has suddenly become more apparent that the game needs these things.

I think it's more problem for the AT-ST since it's a vehicle that's dependant on the ground below, if that makes sense.  Most vehicles in the Star Wars world hover, which isn't glitchy in SWG on uneven terrain like the AT-ST.

As for the person who said it'd need to be pulled from the EU, didn't Return of the Jedi feature combat vehicles? 

Originally posted by Thunderous

Obraik, you are simply incorrect.
    I know enough about this to understand that you will not see vehicular combat outside of an instance in SWG.  You won't see At-Ats roaming around Coronet in SWG.  Lack of collision and dirty code will prevent this from functionality.
    The code and servers simply will not allow for that.  Once again you are trying to increase awareness for this game by lying to would-be consumers who read the message boards.

Did you see the video I linked to that shows that AT-ST functioning in Restuss?

That is completely awesome and confirms my hopes of for vehicular combat and atmospheric flight in the whole game.

Obriak, what server are you on?

• ArcAngel3ArcAngel3 Member Posts: 2,931
    Originally posted by Obraik

Someone on the Official forums posted this, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUw007jZ7QQ.  It's a bug that they were able to take the AT-ST out of Hoth (this is on TC, remember) but it does show that vehicle combat can exist outside of Hoth.  Here's hoping that combat vehicles outside of Hoth do become a reality in the near future :)

So, it appears that an AT-ST is wandering around, shooting people in a very unhothlike environment.

It also appears that you're suggesting this means that SWG could see combat vehicles outside of Hoth, in the near future.

Here's what troubles me about this:

-The dev team said that due to limitations with the ground-game coding, vehicle combat is not possible outside of an instance.

-The video is edited, and badly at that.  Are we to trust that this is an accurate representation of something that can be added to the ground game, outside an instance, despite what the dev team said?

-You're suggesting that vehicle combat outside the Hoth instance is probable regarding development in the near future.  This reminds me of Smed's suggestion that guild-controlled star destroyers were being considered, when in actuality they were not.

-Like Smed, your suggestion appears designed to encourage people to subscribe.  Some people may read your post, see the video and buy subscription time.  They may then never experience vehicle combat outside of the Hoth instance.  They will feel they were misled by you in this post, but they won't be able to do anything about it because in your wording, you haven't actually made any development promises.  You've merely made suggestions, like Smedley.  Also, you post as though you're just a player of the game, and in no way a marketting representative of SOE, so no one can claim that SOE misled them.

-As someone else mentioned, you can play Battlefront online with StarWars vehicle combat with working collision detection, a user friendly interface and no noticeable bugs.  It works well, is guaranteed to have vehicle combat, and does not have a subscription fee.

I hope that people don't see your post, watch the video, believe that vehicle combat is coming soon to all of SWG (as you suggest) and go out and spend money for this.  If they do (their perogative), I hope they aren't dissappointed, but I expect they will be.

I would say something about this kind of marketting further undermining SOE's reputation, but at this point they probably feel they have nothing to lose.

Originally posted by ArcAngel3

So, it appears that an AT-ST is wandering around, shooting people in a very unhothlike environment.

It also appears that you're suggesting this means that SWG could see combat vehicles outside of Hoth, in the near future.

-The dev team said that due to limitations with the ground-game coding, vehicle combat is not possible outside of an instance.

Hoth IS the ground code.  Some people here seem to think it's done on the JTL engine, however it's not.  Instances don't use a different engine on the ground compared to any other ground area.  Obviously they've got around whatever issues they originally had.

-The video is edited, and badly at that.  Are we to trust that this is an accurate representation of something that can be added to the ground game, outside an instance, despite what the dev team said?

One doesn't need to be an expert at throwing together fraps clips to show off what they're doing.  Also, it's not hard to go and replicate what you see in the video clip.  If you have a Vet trial, login to TC, go to Hoth, jump in an AT-ST and click the shuttle to leave the Heroic.

-You're suggesting that vehicle combat outside the Hoth instance is probable regarding development in the near future.  This reminds me of Smed's suggestion that guild-controlled star destroyers were being considered, when in actuality they were not.

I think this is covered above.  The difference here is that this system is actually in the game.

-Like Smed, your suggestion appears designed to encourage people to subscribe.  Some people may read your post, see the video and buy subscription time.  They may then never experience vehicle combat outside of the Hoth instance.  They will feel they were misled by you in this post, but they won't be able to do anything about it because in your wording, you haven't actually made any development promises.  You've merely made suggestions, like Smedley.  Also, you post as though you're just a player of the game, and in no way a marketting representative of SOE, so no one can claim that SOE misled them.

I have no responsibilities if such a thing happens or not.  I posted to start a discussion on the topic because I thought it was a cool possibility.  SOE isn't allowing any discussion of it on the main forums as they consider it an exploit, despite being on TC.

-As someone else mentioned, you can play Battlefront online with StarWars vehicle combat with working collision detection, a user friendly interface and no noticeable bugs.  It works well, is guaranteed to have vehicle combat, and does not have a subscription fee.

Sure, but I don't play Battlefront, I play SWG.  Having something like it added to the game I currently play is much more attractive then picking up another game that I have no other interest in.  Likewise I wouldn't expect someone purely wanting vehicle combat in a game to pickup SWG for it.

I hope that people don't see your post, watch the video, believe that vehicle combat is coming soon to all of SWG (as you suggest) and go out and spend money for this.  If they do (their perogative), I hope they aren't dissappointed, but I expect they will be.

I would say something about this kind of marketting further undermining SOE's reputation, but at this point they probably feel they have nothing to lose.

I'm not sure how a post by an individual that has no relation at all to SOE or LA (yes, I've read the rather amusing posts on various forums that I work for SOE ;) ) could be considered marketing.  As for people believing that this is something definate that will happen then I'm sorry, but I'm not going to take responsibility for people reading words that weren't written.

• SuvrocSuvroc Member Posts: 2,383

I just can't imagine the logistics behind adding vehicles to SWG.

Will it be vehicle vs. vehicle only, or will it be any one character can be targetted by a vehicle? If so how do you handle balance? Will a single character be able to handle himself 1 on 1 with a vehicle or will you need a group? If a single player can take out someone using a vehicle what's the point of using one?

Ugh this opens up a massive can of worms, I doubt very much it'll be added to the main ground game because of this.

• PreCUPreCU Member Posts: 382

that looked really dumb. Vehicles shoot where their weapon is pointed, usually straight forward or with a limited range of motion. That atst was shooting at all angles regardless of where its guns were pointed, and even through itself at players directly behind it. Is that how it is with other vehicles on hoth?

Originally posted by PreCU

That atst was shooting at all angles regardless of where its guns were pointed, and even through itself at players directly behind it. Is that how it is with other vehicles on hoth?

Yep, as Obraik has already confirmed it's exactly the same functionality in the instances as it is on any other full planet, of course vehicles can't fire over the shoulder like a player avatar so you get that dumb looking shit where laser fire streams out of them at any angle relative to the targets position. It looks terrible, it's actually one of the reasons AT-AT's were never put into the game in full, seeing an AT-AT firing out of it's arse was some funny shit.

Also, for it to be as it should be, it'd have to follow strict line of sight perameters, and we all know only too well how terrible LoS is in SWG.

That atst was shooting at all angles regardless of where its guns were pointed, and even through itself at players directly behind it. Is that how it is with other vehicles on hoth?

Yep, as Obraik has already confirmed it's exactly the same functionality in the instances as it is on any other full planet, of course vehicles can't fire over the shoulder like a player avatar so you get that dumb looking shit where laser fire streams out of them at any angle relative to the targets position. It looks terrible, it's actually one of the reasons AT-AT's were never put into the game in full, seeing an AT-AT firing out of it's arse was some funny shit.

Also, for it to be as it should be, it'd have to follow strict line of sight perameters, and we all know only too well how terrible LoS is in SWG.

In the instance however, the terrain that the AT-ST's are walking over is mostly flat.  Also, the enemies you have to fight from the AT-ST are mostly all coming head on so it's not as obvious as it is outside in PvP where you have people running all over the place.  Obviously, it could do with some tweaking but it is still on TC at the moment.

not as obvious

just want to point out the huge difference between "not as obvious" and "not obvious". "not as obvious" still alludes to it being obvious.

and "mostly all coming head on" is a ridiculous defense.

not as obvious

just want to point out the huge difference between "not as obvious" and "not obvious". "not as obvious" still alludes to it being obvious.

In the right conditions yes, it'll look just like it does on Hoth as it does in that linked video.  I agree that it could be done better, which is why I posted about it in the feedback thread on the Official forums ;)

not as obvious

In the right conditions yes, it'll look just like it does on Hoth as it does in that linked video.  I agree that it could be done better, which is why I posted about it in the feedback thread on the Official forums ;)

Good luck with that, the line of sight in SWG has been next to useless all the way through the games history. Still if you don't ask, you don't get I suppose.

• TheSliderTheSlider Member Posts: 46

Originally posted by ArcAngel3

Hoth IS the ground code.  Some people here seem to think it's done on the JTL engine, however it's not.  Instances don't use a different engine on the ground compared to any other ground area.  Obviously they've got around whatever issues they originally had.

One doesn't need to be an expert at throwing together fraps clips to show off what they're doing.  Also, it's not hard to go and replicate what you see in the video clip.  If you have a Vet trial, login to TC, go to Hoth, jump in an AT-ST and click the shuttle to leave the Heroic.

I think this is covered above.  The difference here is that this system is actually in the game.

I have no responsibilities if such a thing happens or not.  I posted to start a discussion on the topic because I thought it was a cool possibility.  SOE isn't allowing any discussion of it on the main forums as they consider it an exploit, despite being on TC.

Sure, but I don't play Battlefront, I play SWG.  Having something like it added to the game I currently play is much more attractive then picking up another game that I have no other interest in.  Likewise I wouldn't expect someone purely wanting vehicle combat in a game to pickup SWG for it.

I'm not sure how a post by an individual that has no relation at all to SOE or LA (yes, I've read the rather amusing posts on various forums that I work for SOE ;) ) could be considered marketing.  As for people believing that this is something definate that will happen then I'm sorry, but I'm not going to take responsibility for people reading words that weren't written.

Funny stuff.

BTW this is usually what he does to a forum post when he's backed into a corner with no way out... 

Originally posted by Obraiknot as obvious

I'm glad you posted about it but I'm still not buying the euphemisms.

"the right conditions" make it sound like a rare occurrence. It's not like the planets have to align. It looks obvious to me when the weapon fires outside of 10 degrees from where it's pointed and I'm being generous imagining that the weapon is articulated even though it's not in the game. That leaves 340 degrees for nonsensical trick-shots. It'd be more accurate to say you need the right conditions in order for vehicle weapon fire to look appropriate.

not as obvious

I'm glad you posted about it but I'm still not buying the euphemisms.

"the right conditions" make it sound like a rare occurrence. It's not like the planets have to align. It looks obvious to me when the weapon fires outside of 10 degrees from where it's pointed and I'm being generous imagining that the weapon is articulated even though it's not in the game. That leaves 340 degrees for nonsensical trick-shots. It'd be more accurate to say you need the right conditions in order for vehicle weapon fire to look appropriate.

You can stop :P  I've already pretty much agreed with you that it needs a fix...