Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any good single player RPGS?

Comments

• pileopooppileopoop Member Posts: 91
    Originally posted by cukimunga

Originally posted by Steelrose

Originally posted by Obliviuze

Oblivion, and it's expansion Shivering Isles

He wanted to know a good cRPG. Oblivion is not a cRPG.

Um if your talking about Computer Role Playing Game then yes it is.  I have it on my computer and its a RPG.

Your other post why don't you see Mass Effect as a RPG? I consider  it a RPG its just not a Turn Based RPG.  Anything that has Character progression in it and Levels I consider an RPG of some sord. Be it Turned base, Action or FPS or TPS. There is all kinds of sub categories. 

If you dismiss all the RPG elements of a game just because it uses player skill to aim then im sorry I think that is crazy.

RPG is a way to roleplay your character, it doesn't mean just playing a different role in a game. Character advancement and levels are not signs of a RPG. The Sims is more a roleplaying game than oblivion or mass effect. They are both a hack'n slash action games.

Oblivion you have a choice how you want to play your character, it may not be as open ended as say playing tabletop DnD but still you have the basic alignments you can choose to play as. You can choose to play a Paladin that has kinda been questioning his morals and starts going on a killing rampage and turns evil. Or a thief that will screw anyone over they can just to get loot, but then something in the game might make you change your ways.  Its up to you how you want to play your character  hell I could think of so many more ways to play a character in that game.

I ve been playing roleplaying video games for 17years and Ive been playing tabletop games for 12, I don't see Mass Effect or Oblivion any less of a RPG compared to FF or BG1.  The sims is more of a  simulator, hence the name sims.  But it does have ways you can play your character.  

If you go back to RPG tabletop games which started the whole genre you still have Levels and character development and that is very much a core property of RPG's. RPG isn't just a way to roleplay a character.

Oblivion is FPS. Mass Effect is FPS. Kotor is FPS. These are not RPG's. Add a side quest or two to Far Cry and a few skills from which a player can choose, and it would still be FPS not RPG. The main gameplay in Oblivion, Mass Effect, Kotor is combat. In these games you spend most of the time fightning, or jumping or running from the first or third person view. The combat is action-based, the games are filled with action. You swing your weapon, you aim your bow, you target your spell... This is why it is FPS and not RPG.

Just because you can control where you shoot your arrow and sword dosen't make it any less of  a RPG. They may have added FPS elements to it but its core is still RPG.   In table top RPGs you can choose where you wan't to shoot people and swing a sword so that why I like the FPS elements put into an RPG.

The  RPG genre is changing, I like real time combat but still having the ability  to pause the game and use some strategy.  You don't have to fight all the time in Oblivion and Mass Effect. Yes there is a lot but what RPG dosen't have a lot of encounters.   I got sick of playing FF games because I would run into an encounter every 5 seconds,  Talk about focusing on combat, lol.  Does that make it an action game?

Combat will always be a part of RPG's you can't always talk your way out of a battle, sometimes you have to let your sword or bullets do the talking for you.

Wow so many noobs in this forum.

Any game you play where you are a playing a character that can make decisions and has progression is an RPG.

Also there are such things as Action Role Playing Games.

Steelrose, you are confusing simulatoin with rpg.

"Add a side quest or two to Far Cry and a few skills from which a player can choose, and it would still be FPS not RPG."

No it would be a First Person Action Role Playing Game.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    Originally posted by ZodiaEclipse

Who does the voice for the cripple pilot (Joker) in Mass Effect? He sounds familiar, but I can't place it.

Seth Green, aka Scott Evil.  Scotty doesn't know!

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• ianicusianicus Member UncommonPosts: 665

Um if your talking about Computer Role Playing Game then yes it is.  I have it on my computer and its a RPG.

Your other post why don't you see Mass Effect as a RPG? I consider  it a RPG its just not a Turn Based RPG.  Anything that has Character progression in it and Levels I consider an RPG of some sord. Be it Turned base, Action or FPS or TPS. There is all kinds of sub categories. 

If you dismiss all the RPG elements of a game just because it uses player skill to aim then im sorry I think that is crazy.

RPG is a way to roleplay your character, it doesn't mean just playing a different role in a game. Character advancement and levels are not signs of a RPG. The Sims is more a roleplaying game than oblivion or mass effect. They are both a hack'n slash action games.

Oblivion you have a choice how you want to play your character, it may not be as open ended as say playing tabletop DnD but still you have the basic alignments you can choose to play as. You can choose to play a Paladin that has kinda been questioning his morals and starts going on a killing rampage and turns evil. Or a thief that will screw anyone over they can just to get loot, but then something in the game might make you change your ways.  Its up to you how you want to play your character  hell I could think of so many more ways to play a character in that game.

I ve been playing roleplaying video games for 17years and Ive been playing tabletop games for 12, I don't see Mass Effect or Oblivion any less of a RPG compared to FF or BG1.  The sims is more of a  simulator, hence the name sims.  But it does have ways you can play your character.  

If you go back to RPG tabletop games which started the whole genre you still have Levels and character development and that is very much a core property of RPG's. RPG isn't just a way to roleplay a character.

Oblivion is FPS. Mass Effect is FPS. Kotor is FPS. These are not RPG's. Add a side quest or two to Far Cry and a few skills from which a player can choose, and it would still be FPS not RPG. The main gameplay in Oblivion, Mass Effect, Kotor is combat. In these games you spend most of the time fightning, or jumping or running from the first or third person view. The combat is action-based, the games are filled with action. You swing your weapon, you aim your bow, you target your spell... This is why it is FPS and not RPG.

LOL thats the most rediculous statement ive heard in a while.....PS theres a third person view option....and how the F are mass effect and Kotor FPS's?? You my friend have no IDEA what an RPG is, christ change a game mechanic away from FF1 and your getting your panties in a bunch! you must have hated chrono trigger and secret of mana......epic fail....

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said…’I’m too drunk to taste this chicken." - Ricky Bobby
  • karat76karat76 Member UncommonPosts: 1,000

Saints row 2, fable 2 and fallout 3 are all good games.

• SteelroseSteelrose Member UncommonPosts: 215

Just because you can control where you shoot your arrow and sword dosen't make it any less of  a RPG. They may have added FPS elements to it but its core is still RPG.   In table top RPGs you can choose where you wan't to shoot people and swing a sword so that why I like the FPS elements put into an RPG.

The  RPG genre is changing, I like real time combat but still having the ability  to pause the game and use some strategy.  You don't have to fight all the time in Oblivion and Mass Effect. Yes there is a lot but what RPG dosen't have a lot of encounters.   I got sick of playing FF games because I would run into an encounter every 5 seconds,  Talk about focusing on combat, lol.  Does that make it an action game?

Combat will always be a part of RPG's you can't always talk your way out of a battle, sometimes you have to let your sword or bullets do the talking for you.

This is definition of FPS: 

Definition: A First Person Shooter (FPS) is a genre of video game in which the player sees the game from a first-person point of view (as if they were the game character), and which has a focus on shooting (or otherwise killing or disabling) enemies.

Oblivion has a STRONG focus on killing, running, jumping etc... It's action based game. I repeat myself. Oblivion, KOTOR, Mass Effect are all FPS. It doesn't matter how much RP features it has, how many character development choices, how many quests whatever. The point is. The main gameplay in these games is consisted of combat. And the combat is swinging, aiming from the first person perspective.

The choices about paladin and aligments that you mentioned is irrelevant. You can play these kinds of aligments in Far Cry as well. You may pretend your character can't swim or your character is afraid of hights and never look down from cliff, or that you character never shoot anyone from behind. These are the same alligment and characteristics as playing a paladin that never kills any human in Oblivion that you mentioned. BUT THAT DOESN'T MAKE FAR CRY RPG.

• Thoric485Thoric485 Member UncommonPosts: 525
    Originally posted by Umbral

Witcher was a joke with the alligment choices just like Kotor.

The Witcher has different paths, but not a good or evil path, only KOTOR and Fable have this silly concept, the different paths in The Witcher are not exacly based on moral just personal decisions related to the original character from the novel.

The Witcher is the only singleplayer game with a low fantasy concept from the last 6 years, so Im not sure why you found the different paths concept so similar to kotor.

To tell the truth, among all RPGs from the last year, only the Witcher has an interesting story like Planescape, BG and good old rpgs etc.

The Witcher is also the proof that a small company without tons of hype can create a better and more expressive game than Bethesda, Bioware and Molyneux and make an impact in the gaming scene.  This is a very important point about the game.

I agree with all of the above. CD Projekt are one of the best companies out there - not only they made this amazing game and released a free Enhanced Edition for it but they also made GoodOldGames.com - a site that distributes old games, updated to work with newer Windows versions and completely free of DRM.

CD Projekt, Stardock and Paradox Interactive are those who are keeping my faith in the gaming industry.

"The hammer of the gods will drive our ships to new lands,
    To fight the horde, singing and crying: Valhalla, I am coming!
    On we sweep with threshing oar, our only goal will be the western shore."
    Originally posted by Thoric485

Witcher was a joke with the alligment choices just like Kotor.

The Witcher has different paths, but not a good or evil path, only KOTOR and Fable have this silly concept, the different paths in The Witcher are not exacly based on moral just personal decisions related to the original character from the novel.

The Witcher is the only singleplayer game with a low fantasy concept from the last 6 years, so Im not sure why you found the different paths concept so similar to kotor.

To tell the truth, among all RPGs from the last year, only the Witcher has an interesting story like Planescape, BG and good old rpgs etc.

The Witcher is also the proof that a small company without tons of hype can create a better and more expressive game than Bethesda, Bioware and Molyneux and make an impact in the gaming scene.  This is a very important point about the game.

I agree with all of the above. CD Projekt are one of the best companies out there - not only they made this amazing game and released a free Enhanced Edition for it but they also made GoodOldGames.com - a site that distributes old games, updated to work with newer Windows versions and completely free of DRM.

CD Projekt, Stardock and Paradox Interactive are those who are keeping my faith in the gaming industry.

While I have to admit, Witcher has a great support by CD project the game failed miserably for me. It was a boring run from one loading screen to another. Horrible NWN 2 engine, horrible character customization, easy combat and linear story-driven quests with messy inventory.

• UmbralUmbral Member Posts: 1,051

Steelrose

Yes, the engine is not exacly good and the amount of loading is annoying.

The Witcher is a story-driven game but much less linear than Bioware last games and it can be a pretty hard game if you set the game in that way.

Im pretty sure you didnt experienced the game as what you said about good and evil has absolute nothing to do with the Witcher.

Some negative aspects (like loadings) are an issue easy to forget when you get into the game. Games like BG and Planescape are not perfect in the technical side aswell, but we know they are great RPGs, tha same happens with The Witcher.

• Jefferson81Jefferson81 Member Posts: 730

Definition: A First Person Shooter (FPS) is a genre of video game in which the player sees the game from a first-person point of view (as if they were the game character), and which has a focus on shooting (or otherwise killing or disabling) enemies.

Oblivion has a STRONG focus on killing, running, jumping etc... It's action based game. I repeat myself. Oblivion, KOTOR, Mass Effect are all FPS. It doesn't matter how much RP features it has, how many character development choices, how many quests whatever. The point is. The main gameplay in these games is consisted of combat. And the combat is swinging, aiming from the first person perspective.

The choices about paladin and aligments that you mentioned is irrelevant. You can play these kinds of aligments in Far Cry as well. You may pretend your character can't swim or your character is afraid of hights and never look down from cliff, or that you character never shoot anyone from behind. These are the same alligment and characteristics as playing a paladin that never kills any human in Oblivion that you mentioned. BUT THAT DOESN'T MAKE FAR CRY RPG.

FPS games has gotten more of a good story as: Half-Life 2 and Bioshock.

RPG:s has gotten more fast action paced as: Oblivion and The Witcher.

You will just have to live with it that FPS and RPG has started to merge and probably will become the same genre in the future.

As I said before.... you will just have to live with it.

Originally posted by Jefferson81

You will just have to live with it that FPS and RPG has started to merge and probably will become the same genre in the future.

It happened already. RPG genre is dead. These all games are FPS's. There's no such a genre as mix of FPS and RPG. It's like saying Civilization 4 is a mix of strategy and RPG, because you can level up your units.

Let me describe you regular 30 minutes in Oblivion:

I get to town, make a few dialogues to get the rumours. Run into the NPC's I learned in rumours. Get their quests. (All within 5 minutes). Then leave town and start to run towards compass marker. On my way I kill everything that attacks me (10 minutes cca) I get to site, usually enter a dungeon, fight my way throught the dungeon (15 minutes) Then instantly teleport back to town and turn the quest, and do the same for another quest. Except for the first 5 minutes, I spend 84% aiming spells with my corsor killing enemies. Your all abilities are leveling automatically, there's no thinking about your customization except at the beginning of the game, but that doesn't really matter either, because the game can be finished at level 1 due to level scaling.

Regular 30 minutes in Far Cry: I listen to some dialogues and then I start running towards the compass. I shoot everything on the road and get to the location. Usually there's more dialogues on the road. 90% of the time Im aiming with my gun and killing enemies.

Steelrose
    The Witcher is a story-driven game but much less linear than Bioware last games and it can be a pretty hard game if you set the game in that way.
    Im pretty sure you didnt experienced the game as what you said about good and evil has absolute nothing to do with the Witcher.
    Some negative aspects (like loadings) are an issue easy to forget when you get into the game. Games like BG and Planescape are not perfect in the technical side aswell, but we know they are great RPGs, tha same happens with The Witcher.

No I was saying Witcher has a couple of obvious choices usually 2 in a form of partying with one side or another. And it's a joke. It's the same as good vs evil. In a linear game like Witcher there's not possible to add realistic consequences.

For some reason, every women in Witcher is a whore or a witch. That doesn't make the world dark or mature. There're extremly long loading screens. The engine is horrible, it has invisible walls everywhere. You can't run around a small stone, because the collision is too large around it. Game is divided into chapters, and each chapter is linear. There's a quest marker that keeps you saying where to go all the time. Witcher is no RPG either. 90% of the game you spend in loading screens, 9% in FPS-style combat and 1% running around asking people how you can help them.

Originally posted by Jefferson81

It happened already. RPG genre is dead. These all games are FPS's. There's no such a genre as mix of FPS and RPG. It's like saying Civilization 4 is a mix of strategy and RPG, because you can level up your units.

Let me describe you regular 30 minutes in Oblivion:

I get to town, make a few dialogues to get the rumours. Run into the NPC's I learned in rumours. Get their quests. (All within 5 minutes). Then leave town and start to run towards compass marker. On my way I kill everything that attacks me (10 minutes cca) I get to site, usually enter a dungeon, fight my way throught the dungeon (15 minutes) Then instantly teleport back to town and turn the quest, and do the same for another quest. Except for the first 5 minutes, I spend 84% aiming spells with my corsor killing enemies. Your all abilities are leveling automatically, there's no thinking about your customization except at the beginning of the game, but that doesn't really matter either, because the game can be finished at level 1 due to level scaling.

Regular 30 minutes in Far Cry: I listen to some dialogues and then I start running towards the compass. I shoot everything on the road and get to the location. Usually there's more dialogues on the road. 90% of the time Im aiming with my gun and killing enemies.

It's not dead it has evolved.

Just as the traditional adventure games will have to evolve or become extinct, possibly merge with the FPS games if they haven't already.

Bioshock is probably the best example of an adventure game that has merged with a first person shooter.

• Batak_KillerBatak_Killer Member UncommonPosts: 395

I havent read the whole thread but i have to say this... FALLOUT 3! Fantastic rpg! I had my doubts before it went live, but now i have none. Its the game of the year mos def.

• UmbralUmbral Member Posts: 1,051

Steelrose

No I was saying Witcher has a couple of obvious choices usually 2 in a form of partying with one side or another. And it's a joke. It's the same as good vs evil. In a linear game like Witcher there's not possible to add realistic consequences.

You said  "Witcher was a joke with the alligment choices just like Kotor. Just because you have good vs evil doesn't mean there's alligment choices. "

It is far from a moral good vs evil concept, what you call realistic consequences may be totally off the original lore.

For some reason, every women in Witcher is a whore or a witch. That doesn't make the world dark or mature.

No there are whores, witches, elfs (that are different than the D&D and Tolkien elfs), warriors and pesants, all kind of women.

There're extremly long loading screens. The engine is horrible, it has invisible walls everywhere.

Yes the engine is bad, just like the Planescape, BG, FFXI and some others rpg related engines, usually RPGs are not the best technical game examples.

You can't run around a small stone, because the collision is too large around it. Game is divided into chapters, and each chapter is linear. There's a quest marker that keeps you saying where to go all the time. Witcher is no RPG either. 90% of the game you spend in loading screens, 9% in FPS-style combat and 1% running around asking people how you can help them.

Sorry steelrose, you just lost yourself, now you are calling combat in The Witcher FPS combat, next you will call King´s Bounty and Disciples combat FPS. You could have used better arguments, but your FPS obsession just make this pointless.

The game is devided in chapters, because it is a story driven game, you play in the role of the character, you have character progression, you make personal, moral (moral but not related to simple things like good and evil cliche) and deep choices in your progression, it is a RPG, maybe you just dont like story driven RPGs.

Im sorry again, but you are just wrong, there is nothing in the Witcher related to FPS and there is no good vs evil concept, there is a clear difference between different paths and the good vs evil cliche and yes, you can expend more time talking with NPCs and crafting than fighting.

This is what you are calling FPS combat www.youtube.com/watch

-not real time.

-not in first person.

-rational conclusion, it is not FPS combat.

• bcrankshawbcrankshaw Member Posts: 547

So many good RPG's out there I've played and recommend

Oblivion and Morrowind

Two Worlds

Gothic 1,2 and 3

Mass Effect

NWN1 and NWN2

The Witcher

Hard to say which is my favorite but end of the day ...The Witcher  :)

"after the time of dice came the day of mice "

• bcrankshawbcrankshaw Member Posts: 547

Steelrose

For some reason, every women in Witcher is a whore or a witch. That doesn't make the world dark or mature. There're extremly long loading screens. The engine is horrible, it has invisible walls everywhere. You can't run around a small stone, because the collision is too large around it. Game is divided into chapters, and each chapter is linear. There's a quest marker that keeps you saying where to go all the time. Witcher is no RPG either. 90% of the game you spend in loading screens, 9% in FPS-style combat and 1% running around asking people how you can help them.

But damn the witches and whores were hot :)

Oh and they weren't all witches and whores....you are forgetting the threesome with the Vampiresses..my favorite :)

"after the time of dice came the day of mice "

• chronocbggchronocbgg Member UncommonPosts: 25

Maybe a little dull by now:

Fable 1/2

Oblivion 3/4

Final Fantasy series as a whole, some are better than others, I'd say FFX and FF7 are some of the best, and dirge of cerberus is a nice twist with a little fps thrown in to an rpg form

Tales of Vesperia (if you don't mind the anime style graphics)

Guild Wars (yes its an mmo, but you can just use henchmen and play it single player through the storyline)

Infinite Discovery

The Last Remnant (not out yet but I am definitly getting it, looks awesome for many reasons)

.hack series 1-4 and GU 1-3

kingdom hearts of course if you don't mind the fact that its based around kids it still has a good storyline

there really are a ton of good RPGs out there and there a lot of promising ones coming with the holidays and 2009 which is good because personally I love a good RPG with a great storyline but if it has the graphics to go with it then it just becomes more amazing.

Before I forget - Lost Odyssey, amazing game although unless you do all the sidequests it is a little short for the fact that it is 4 disks long (very graphic intensive)

• PezDSpencerPezDSpencer Member UncommonPosts: 111

Steelrose

Maybe you should try the new version, you can get a free patch if you already bought the game. 

Btw, load times were never a problem for me.  Don't know why people complained about them.

---
    He said to me, "On your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

Originally posted by chronocbgg

Maybe a little dull by now:
    Fable 1/2
    Oblivion 3/4
    Final Fantasy series as a whole, some are better than others, I'd say FFX and FF7 are some of the best, and dirge of cerberus is a nice twist with a little fps thrown in to an rpg form
    Tales of Vesperia (if you don't mind the anime style graphics)
    Guild Wars (yes its an mmo, but you can just use henchmen and play it single player through the storyline)
    Infinite Discovery
    The Last Remnant (not out yet but I am definitly getting it, looks awesome for many reasons)
    .hack series 1-4 and GU 1-3
    kingdom hearts of course if you don't mind the fact that its based around kids it still has a good storyline
    there really are a ton of good RPGs out there and there a lot of promising ones coming with the holidays and 2009 which is good because personally I love a good RPG with a great storyline but if it has the graphics to go with it then it just becomes more amazing.
    Before I forget - Lost Odyssey, amazing game although unless you do all the sidequests it is a little short for the fact that it is 4 disks long (very graphic intensive)

What is this Oblivion three quarters?

I have never heard of that before.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

Fallout 3.

i can't stop playing. Typing this after finally taking a break.

• ahmedmkahmedmk Member Posts: 10

try persona 3 ,  its part of the megaten series ... and ya fallout 3 if ur into the open ended world :)

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258

I agree that all ME and Oblivion have 1st and 3rd person views and combat is in those views, but changing the combat from a traditional turned based RPG dosen't just make it a FPS alone.

My definition of FPS:

A game where you are in a First person view which has a focus on shooting, there is no character development or levels and  no base stats. 

My definition of an RPG in a video game.

Any kinda of game from any kind of view that does have: character development, and levels and base stats that can be progressed or skills that can be progressed.  They take their name from the settings and game mechanics which they inherit from early role-playing games. their choices shape the direction and outcome of the game, but is more linear compared to the freedom of tabletop RPG's.

RPG as in tabletop:

Is a game in which the participants assume the roles of fictional characters.Participants determine the actions of their characters based on their characterization, and the actions succeed or fail according to a formal or non-formal system of rules and guidelines.Within the rules, players have the freedom to improvise; their choices shape the direction and outcome of the game.

Now there might be sub genres,  Like ME is a FPSRPG or a TPSRPG I can agree that Oblivion could be a FPSActionRPG or a TPSActionRPG.  But thy just are not plain old regular run of the mill FPS they are hybrids but the core of the game is still RPG. Atleast I see it that way and the majority of people do as well.

Now about the Role playing the paladin part is where you just confused me.  I thought you said RPG is a way to play a character.  In the way you described I thought you were talking about what I was talking about.  And your right, in a way you could Role Play a character in any kind of game, but does it make it an RPG? NO its "the mechanics which they inherit from early role-playing games"  that makes them RPG's.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by PezDSpencer

Steelrose

Maybe you should try the new version, you can get a free patch if you already bought the game. 

Btw, load times were never a problem for me.  Don't know why people complained about them.

there were some really great things about the witcher. However, there is something awkard about it, even with the new version (which does shorten loading times quite a bit).

I found that movement was a pain in the neck with point and click. And there are odd walls.

In one of the first places I couldn't cross the water (before you get into the city) so I thought you couldn't go in the water.

Then later I go in a swamp, there's water but I don't bother to go in because I thought you couldn't wade through the water. But you can in the swamp.

There are other annoyances though, as I find myself clicking a lot because the movement seems rather odd. There is a slowing down when the character  comes to a stop but if I want him to move quickly from that spot I find that I'm fighting with that slowing down feature.

And lastly, I don't have a problem with every woman being a whore or a witch because that is the story that the dev's are telling. I may not agree with the point of view but in the case of a  game, like a movie or book, I allow for differing points of view. If it bothered me I would just "not play the game".

Now, I don't think women are whores or witches (well there are some who are but no doubt they have their male counterparts) but if the story is like that then so be it. It's like complaining how women are treated in Conan. The story is the story.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • BoreilBoreil Member UncommonPosts: 448

Oblivion ,Mass Effect, Kotor, The Witcher.. Etc. are just as much an RPG as any other out there , end of story.

• donjndonjn Member UncommonPosts: 816

Fable 2 is great!