Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Eq1 vet with questions and might request a buddy key.

AngelboundAngelbound Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,437

Ok im deffinatly looking for another group oriented mmorpg, ive taken a long break from them considering there has been nothing good out and ive come across this and did more research it sounds very interesting and similar to the experience im looking for.

But I dont want to invest a major load of time into the game like I use to, there are times I play casually and times I play hardcore for a day or 2 I also read there are 18 hour boss fights, im not looking for that 1 hour is good enough anyways I look foward to your replys  thank you.

Comments

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258

This game takes up a lot of your time, you have to party to pretty much get anything done. Sometimes you get parties quick other times I just sat around for an hour farming for gil while I would wait to get a party.  I played for 2 years and still didn't make it to max lvl with any character.  

Reason being was because I got bored of waiting for parties so I would start leveling another job.  I had a 45blm, 34drg, 36 Sam. and and all those had subjobs.   I know they made it easier to lvl in the higher levels.....

If you want to play a more casual game this probobly isn't your game. I used to play this game at least 6 to 8 hours a day on average. It is a very fun and addicting game but its just way to much of a time sink. Camping an area and killing mobs for hours on end and maybe gaining a lvl . I didn't even get into crafting because I was just to busy lvling up and doing quests.

• AngelboundAngelbound Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,437

You would think it wouldnt be hard getting groups because its a grouping game thanks for the info friend.

Yeah I dont know, It wasn't all the time I would wait hours to get a group. I guess its just that maybe people have static groups. I just always just had to make my own or get an invite.  It could also have been what class I was when I was White Mage I had people asking me left and right for groups. Also once people get in a group you pretty much stay in that group for hours on end and usually if people have to leave they will find replacements.

But yeah Its a great game, It just took up to much of my time.  I love grouping games, Im playing WoW right now and It can get pretty hard to find a group sometimes,  But I will be playing WAR here in a few days.

wars community just might be as bad as wow, I deffinatly recommend city of heroes for a great grouping community.

• k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048

Well I myself never played EQ1. There a lot of members of my linkshell that did though and according to them ffxi is the only "Real" MMO left on the market if you go by EQ standards. Which if you guys can remember before WoW came out was THE standard for MMOs. I think the above poster was a bit overzealous with his statements about the grouping system. It really not that bad at all to get parties and now with the new lvl Sync system it's going to be even easier.

If you are looking for a great grouping team oriented MMO with a great community I think your research pointed you in the right direction. If you loved EQ1 i'm sure you will enjoy ffxi very few people i know that have played EQ1 don't like ffxi. So id give it a try.

Thank you, this has helped my confidence in the game quite a bit. May I ask someone to provide me a buddy key? I really will give this a fair trial and I will likely like it alot.

I would really appreciate a buddy key, I know to some it may be asking alot but I do not want to spend money on a game im not sure 100 percent if I want to stick with it, but it really sounds very possible for me.

• kidRiotkidRiot Member Posts: 209

I too am an EQ Vet.  Im in the Marine Corps now, and cant play Hardcore anymore, but I am going to give FFXI a try, as I want to try to get a little EQ-esq feeling back.

• curiindicuriindi Member Posts: 488

I've always wondered if Square Enix will be offering a free trial (10 days like WoW for example) for FFXI. If not a bit late, it seems like the right time for this - especially since Square Enix doesn't seem to be restocking those Starter Packs in stores. This way, no one has to ask for buddy keys anymore.

Originally posted by k11keeper

Well I myself never played EQ1. There a lot of members of my linkshell that did though and according to them ffxi is the only "Real" MMO left on the market if you go by EQ standards. Which if you guys can remember before WoW came out was THE standard for MMOs. I think the above poster was a bit overzealous with his statements about the grouping system. It really not that bad at all to get parties and now with the new lvl Sync system it's going to be even easier.
    If you are looking for a great grouping team oriented MMO with a great community I think your research pointed you in the right direction. If you loved EQ1 i'm sure you will enjoy ffxi very few people i know that have played EQ1 don't like ffxi. So id give it a try.

Yeah the last time I played FFXI was 2 or 3 years ago, things might have changed with the grouping since then.  Its not like every day I had to wait an hour for parties maybe like 10 to 20 minutes on average i guess. But there were times that I just sat around waiting and waiting I just couldn't handle it any more. Maybe it was just the server I was on or something.

Originally posted by Angelbound

wars community just might be as bad as wow, I deffinatly recommend city of heroes for a great grouping community.

Yeah WoW's comunity is bad on the grouping sometimes. Like you can get a party to run a dungeon, but when It comes to doing quests in the open world I always find people doing the same quests that Im doing but they don't want to party. But since FFXI was my first MMO that I played for a long time I was so used to partying all the time.

But im hoping WAR will have more of a grouping community with all the public quests and the RvR zones people should always be in a group, so you can see who needs healing and whatnot.

CoX never really looked interesting to me, Im not a big fan of superhero's I just like Batman, which hes really not a superhero hes just a regular badass hero with lots of money.lol

Well its not just about super heroes the combat is very satisfying, you pull groups of mobs instead of single pulls its alot more action packed, the animations are very good there are multiple power combinations, and its about creativity, rp is easy to get into lots of room on your bio to make any kind of story you want, you can go magic, sci, natural,mutation and technology. The only thing it lacks is that all missions are instanced but in a more of a fun way and the content needs some more variety great story archs though.

By the way you can customize your powers anyway you want its not based on gear but power upgrades, you can choose what powers you want early levels and so on, you even get unique travel powers at level 14, and there are so many ways to look and feel unique compared to all the other players in the game. And believe me I only told you about a small portion of the game.

But im pretty much done with coh im ready for something new and need a buddy key. If anyone can provide one send it to my inbox on this website.

• jezvinjezvin Member UncommonPosts: 804

great game, and with this new update finding groups should be much easier than before. anyone high than lvl ten can group with anyone they want after the 8th, the party will delvl to the lowest lvl character and not have to switch to low level gear.

I find myself always coming back to this game, If I am not playing it I just miss it, there is so much to do.

-------------------------------------------------
    Achiever 20.00%, Explorer 86.67%, Killer 60.00%, Socializer 33.33%

EKSA
    -------------------------------------------------

Man I really wish I had a buddy key right now im really interested in this game more then anything else right now.

• arkimidiesarkimidies Member Posts: 3

Angel, once I can get a chance and get back home I'll get you setup with a a gold world pass, if that is what you're looking for.  I might take me a day or two, I'm kinda busy with school and work as of late.

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001
    Originally posted by Angelbound

Man I really wish I had a buddy key right now im really interested in this game more then anything else right now.

yeah new update will make finding groups mush easier.

http://www.playonline.com/pcd/topics/ff11us/detail/3599/detail.html

i dont have a buddy key but you can get the FFXI starter pack which just comtains the core game with no expansions for $2

http://na.square-enix.com/ffxi/starterpack/

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

Awesome that would be great is there a way I can try it on the ps2? I recently moved in with my gf and am not using my roomates computer anymore this one is to old.

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

wow well since then *a month and a half since my last post :P)  they have now made a two week trial for ff11 on fileplanet. :) (pc only)

also you can buy the core game (no expansions) for like $5 for the ps2 from amazon www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-XI-Online-PlayStation-2/dp/B0007KR1EG/ref=sr_1_2

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• korvixkorvix Member Posts: 477

Yes the level Synch as made it SOOOO MUCH easier to find a group, I just restarted and I have had no problem at all finding a group or making my own, the longest wait i have had is 20minutes. As I type this im in a group with two lvl 75s partying in Yhoator Jungle (level 28 lvl synch).

if the only thing holding you back is the ability to find parties don't worry about it.

Heads up on the PS2 Version you have to have the "fat one".

~HappyGaming

• Lunchbox76Lunchbox76 Member Posts: 294

I would like to add that they have made leveling in general way easier then a year ago let alone 2 or 3. When I played before I never made it past 15 cause it took for ever to grind it out, plus I didnt have hours of time to play it. But I restarted with a new toon and with in say 15-20 hours of playing time Im already level 19 almost 20 all by soloing. I've had a ton of group invites, but I wanted to see how far I could go solo before I would need to group. So ya they made leveling in general easier.

Playing Fallen Earth.

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564
    Originally posted by k11keeper

Yeah... I've noticed that some people who've had bad personal (emphasis on personal) experiences with a game tend to over-state the things that bothered them.

Finding a group *can* be a PiTA at times - related to things like time of day, who's on, who's looking for a group, are the right jobs available, etc.

There also used to be the issue of finding people in your own level range (+/- 2 levels) to keep xp flowing optimally.. but now with Level Sync, that's not a problem anymore. You can be level 20 and a level 70 character can join your party and be "sync'd down" to your level, so you can actually group up. They're performing as a level 20 character, but the xp they get is still going toward getting them to level 71. It's a pretty nifty system overall and has made finding groups easier, since level is no longer an issue.

Even before all that, I was leveling Dragoon - when it was still "lolDRG" - and even then I got parties without much fuss and made it all the way to 75.

Also, they've integrated systems where groups smaller than 6 people can actually get a little more xp.

And of course, there are so many other things to do in the game that really leveling is only *one* activity of many you could be doing... which is something I wish more people latched on to. The game isn't solely about killing mobs to level your job. There are other things you can do that are just as beneficial to yoru character (quests, missions, crafting, fishing, harvesting, mining, etc) and as you get higher in level the options open up all the more.

Also,with the new player tutorial they've recently added, it's made the game much easier to get into; I've taken a new character through it to check it out and, to me, it's fantastic. They should have done that a long time ago.

If you'd like, come on over to Pandemonium and look me up (Shanree... as in my sig :-p).. I'll be glad to help ya out with the ropes or what not if you'd like.

Take care and Welcome to Vana'diel

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• Peco115Peco115 Member UncommonPosts: 31

i got a quick question, Is there a Euro server?

• korvixkorvix Member Posts: 477
    Originally posted by Peco115

i got a quick question, Is there a Euro server?

Everyone plays together on the same servers.

• AetherialAetherial Member Posts: 103
    Originally posted by cukimunga

But im hoping WAR will have more of a grouping community with all the public quests and the RvR zones people should always be in a group, so you can see who needs healing and whatnot.

CoX never really looked interesting to me, Im not a big fan of superhero's I just like Batman, which hes really not a superhero hes just a regular badass hero with lots of money.lol

Sadly, WAR has managed to bring suckage to a whole new level. It sucks only slightly less than AoC. There is no real need to group, except for the end stages of Public Quests... and then it is tough to find a group. RvR is great... if you are Destruction.

Seriously, it is just a boring, linear, RPG with a few MMO elements.

CoH/CoV was soooooo boring. Good lord it was awful.