Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any good single player RPGS?

Comments

• UmbralUmbral Member Posts: 1,051

-King´s Bounty-The Legend.

Gorgeous, deep, oldschool strategic RPG.

http://www.kings-bounty.com/

-Gothic III

www.youtube.com/watch

-The Witcher

in my opinion, the best singleplayer rpg of the last years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n9WlY3FOOU

-Ys Origins and Ys Oath of Felghana

Pretty good classic action-JRPG serie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPzy0-jMv2g

• Jefferson81Jefferson81 Member Posts: 730
    Originally posted by Steelrose

Originally posted by Jefferson81

Originally posted by Obliviuze

Oblivion, and it's expansion Shivering Isles

He wanted to know a good cRPG. Oblivion is not a cRPG.

Oblivion and it's expansion is probably the best RPG ever made.

Oblivion is no RPG. Oblivion is action game. It's a good action game. But don't expect it to be a RPG.

You create your own ingame persona which you roleplay.

So it's not a RPG huh?!

I don't think that you fully understand what the term RPG means.

• BakoryoBakoryo Member UncommonPosts: 469

Oblivion is no RPG. Oblivion is action game. It's a good action game. But don't expect it to be a RPG.

So it's not a RPG huh?!

It's not really a classic Rpg either. Morrowind is much better than oblivion to be honest. But as newer game i'd say Mass effect, Fallout 3 (which is pretty fun but oh so short) .

Real classics are, nwn1 and 2, baldur's Gate I & II, Icewind dale, Arcanum, Fallout 1 & 2. Any of those works pretty fine. Though the older ones are so much better than the newer ones.

Cheers

The speed of the mole and the power of steel is my weapon

• GetalifeGetalife Member CommonPosts: 786

Oblivion

Morrowind

Fallout 3

Kotor 1 and 2

The Witcher

Fable 2

Fable

Neverwinter Nights 2

and there are so manymore. Take your pick.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Bakoryo

It's not really a classic Rpg either. Morrowind is much better than oblivion to be honest. But as newer game i'd say Mass effect, Fallout 3 (which is pretty fun but oh so short) .
    Real classics are, nwn1 and 2, baldur's Gate I & II, Icewind dale, Arcanum, Fallout 1 & 2. Any of those works pretty fine. Though the older ones are so much better than the newer ones.
    Cheers

I'm with you all the way except NWN 2, it was so much worse than the first game, Bioware should never have license it to Obsidian/Atari.

But the time of the games like this isn't over yet, Bioware "Dragon age: Origins" will realeas Q1 2009 It looks really good, a mix between NWN and BG.

• SteelroseSteelrose Member UncommonPosts: 215

So it's not a RPG huh?!

Duh, what an argument. Can you tell me a single game where you don't create a different in-game persona? In Transport Tycoon you roleplay a manager of a corporation, and in Civilization you roleplay a leader of a nation. Every game is a roleplaying game then if we follow your definition.

I don't think you fully understand what the term RPG means. It's not just character development and a few quests. If you would add char development into far cry, would it make an RPG game? Oblivion is much closer to Far Cry than for example Arcanum or BG1.

So it's not a RPG huh?!

Cheers

Classic RPG = 2D graphics?

Sure they were fun in the late 90s and and for a couple of years into the new century but I would never buy a new RPG today with graphics on par with those games.

It's time to move forward and not to be staying in the past.

So it's not a RPG huh?!

Duh, what an argument. Can you tell me a single game where you don't create a different in-game persona? In Transport Tycoon you roleplay a manager of a corporation, and in Civilization you roleplay a leader of a nation. Every game is a roleplaying game then if we follow your definition.

I don't think you fully understand what the term RPG means. It's not just character development and a few quests. If you would add char development into far cry, would it make an RPG game? Oblivion is much closer to Far Cry than for example Arcanum or BG1.

I have the Collector's Edition of Oblivion here before me and to the lower right corner it reads as follows: Winner, Best RPG of E3.

So it's not a RPG huh?!

Cheers

Classic RPG = 2D graphics?

Sure they were fun in the late 90s and and for a couple of years into the new century but I would never buy a new RPG today with graphics on par with those games.

It's time to move forward and not to be staying in the past.

I definetly do agree there was no good RPG released last what... 7-8 years. The only one I can think of that was fun was Vampire the bloodlines which was more action game than RPG as well, and Dungeon Lords that was an old-school dungeon RPG similiar to Wizardry and Wizards and Warriors made by Bradley. All the SW KOTOR, NWN1/2, Oblivions were so bad and so distant from the original point of RPGames that I couldn't play them longer than a few hours.

So it's not a RPG huh?!

I have the Collector's Edition of Oblivion here before me and to the lower right corner it reads as follows: Winner, Best RPG of E3.

This is hardly an argument right? Does it make it RPG just because self-titled game reviewers called it like that? No, give me a real argument why it is RPG and not what reads on the box.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Oblivion is a RPG, Diablo is a Action game.

Even though Oblivion is a bit thin on the RPG points in many cases it does have a lot of interactions with the NPCs. I could even go so far as saying that it is a mix between the 2 genres, but it is still a RPG. Never really liked it myself though, I did play a lot of Daggerfall and liked it a long time ago however.

So it's not a RPG huh?!

This is hardly an argument right? Does it make it RPG just because self-titled game reviewers called it like that? No, give me a real argument why it is RPG and not what reads on the box.

Yes it is.

You are wrong and everyone else is right... you will just have to live with it.

So it's not a RPG huh?!

Yes it is.

Poor guy, I guess you also believe in dx10 working in AoC as it reads on the box.

So it's not a RPG huh?!

Yes it is.

Poor guy, I guess you also believe in dx10 working in AoC as it reads on the box.

Poor that craves such attention.

• MahloMahlo Member UncommonPosts: 814
    Originally posted by skeaser

Originally posted by Mahlo

I'm playing Fallout 3 and really enjoying it. It is very like Oblivion only in a post-apocalyptic setting rather than fantasy. The only aspect I'm finding annoying is the way it forces you to go to areas one way. You look on the map, take a route, and find you way is blocked. It seems less open world than Oblivion.
    As for Fable 2, it's a novelty game. If you like the idea of farting and doing funny dances to amuse the townspeople then try it, if not, don't bother.

There's a lot more to Fable 2 than the emotes that you use in town to communicate. The story has me drawn in, there are plenty of sidequests to go with the main quest, jobs, mini pub games, and to top it all off, plenty of places where you are left to choose to do evil or good, good often having seemingly bad consequences and evil having good consequences. You also have pureness, a more subtle version of good and evil.

If you don't like the game, that's fine, but don't be a prick and try to mislead people into not liking it with you.

The good/evil thing is the novelty I was talking about. It's not very sophisticated. And mini-games don't make good RPGs. Having said that, my partner likes it and she and she doesn't like RPGs normally. Maybe that's why she likes it.

• EvasiaEvasia Member Posts: 2,827
    Originally posted by nomadian

Fallout3 best played on pc as most games are:)
    sorry I meant to the OP which formats he was looking for an rpg on. Not going to go into that war of PC being best, I think both have their advantages and game specialities :p

Ok fair enough:)

Games played:AC1-Darktide'99-2000-AC2-Darktide/dawnsong2003-2005,Lineage2-2005-2006 and now Darkfall-2009.....
    In between WoW few months AoC few months and some f2p also all very short few weeks.

• ianicusianicus Member UncommonPosts: 665

Oblivion and Fallout 3 are very good, Mass Effect is great, hmmmmm. Thats about the most I can think of for more current RPG's

If you didnt play FF4 when it was on SNES...or did...but cant recall most of it, FF4 on DS is a wicked reincarnation....and really hard lol

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said…’I’m too drunk to taste this chicken." - Ricky Bobby
  • RavanosRavanos Member Posts: 897

fallout 3 or Oblivion ... you will forget MMOs while you play these, in my opinion these are the types of games MMOs should strive to become ... not the themepark linear games they are becoming now.

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258

Originally posted by cukimunga

Um if your talking about Computer Role Playing Game then yes it is.  I have it on my computer and its a RPG.

Your other post why don't you see Mass Effect as a RPG? I consider  it a RPG its just not a Turn Based RPG.  Anything that has Character progression in it and Levels I consider an RPG of some sord. Be it Turned base, Action or FPS or TPS. There is all kinds of sub categories. 

If you dismiss all the RPG elements of a game just because it uses player skill to aim then im sorry I think that is crazy.

RPG is a way to roleplay your character, it doesn't mean just playing a different role in a game. Character advancement and levels are not signs of a RPG. The Sims is more a roleplaying game than oblivion or mass effect. They are both a hack'n slash action games.

Oblivion you have a choice how you want to play your character, it may not be as open ended as say playing tabletop DnD but still you have the basic alignments you can choose to play as. You can choose to play a Paladin that has kinda been questioning his morals and starts going on a killing rampage and turns evil. Or a thief that will screw anyone over they can just to get loot, but then something in the game might make you change your ways.  Its up to you how you want to play your character  hell I could think of so many more ways to play a character in that game.

I ve been playing roleplaying video games for 17years and Ive been playing tabletop games for 12, I don't see Mass Effect or Oblivion any less of a RPG compared to FF or BG1.  The sims is more of a  simulator, hence the name sims.  But it does have ways you can play your character.  

If you go back to RPG tabletop games which started the whole genre you still have Levels and character development and that is very much a core property of RPG's. RPG isn't just a way to roleplay a character.

• NotNiceDinoNotNiceDino Member Posts: 320

While they are both very dark, and very adult...

The Witcher and Fallout 3 are quite simply two of the best RPGs ever made, hands down. Both game offer an unparalled expirience at getting in to, and playing a character. Some might argue "Bah! Action Games" because in both cases you can pretty much just hack and slash your way to the end credits, but there is a far richer and more rewarding expirience in choosing who to play the role, and playing it offered in both titles.

And for me, Fallout 3 was a HUGE step up from Oblivion which felt less like and RPG and more like a "Generic Fantasy World Simulator" with nowhere near the unique heart and soul that Morrowind had. Fallout 3 feels like Fallout. I'd go as far as to say that Fallout 3 feels more like Fallout 2 than Oblivion feels like Morrowind.

The Witcher is consirably more linear (though it does an excellent job of offering alignment based choices) but is still an amazing game.

I personally can't stand Fable. Fable is marketed 100% on it's offering of Alignment choices, yet there MANY fuller, richer, more interesting RPGs out there that to do the alignment choice thing far better than Fable does, Both games above are excellent example, KOTOR is another. And alignment choice in Fable means you character grows horns, nothing more.

Perfact example: a early moral choice in Fable 2 means that a certain section of town either becomes a wealthy district or a slum 10 years later. The diffrance is PURELY cosmetic, either way the district contains the same houses, for the same price, with the same perks. On the good path, they have flowers in from, on the evil path has garbage. That's it. Likewise in Fallout 3, you nuke the entire first town out of existance, now THAT is your choices having a impact.

Edit: Also I prefer an RPG where you character doesn't express themselves solely by dancing and farting.

Active: WoW

Semi-retired: STO

Fully retired: UO, EQ, AC, SWG, FFXI, DDO:EU, PoTBS, AoC, EvE

Tried: EQ2, Tabula Rasa, Auto-Assault, Isteria, LotRO, Wizard 101

Looking forward to: Star Citizen

Um if your talking about Computer Role Playing Game then yes it is.  I have it on my computer and its a RPG.

Your other post why don't you see Mass Effect as a RPG? I consider  it a RPG its just not a Turn Based RPG.  Anything that has Character progression in it and Levels I consider an RPG of some sord. Be it Turned base, Action or FPS or TPS. There is all kinds of sub categories. 

If you dismiss all the RPG elements of a game just because it uses player skill to aim then im sorry I think that is crazy.

RPG is a way to roleplay your character, it doesn't mean just playing a different role in a game. Character advancement and levels are not signs of a RPG. The Sims is more a roleplaying game than oblivion or mass effect. They are both a hack'n slash action games.

Oblivion you have a choice how you want to play your character, it may not be as open ended as say playing tabletop DnD but still you have the basic alignments you can choose to play as. You can choose to play a Paladin that has kinda been questioning his morals and starts going on a killing rampage and turns evil. Or a thief that will screw anyone over they can just to get loot, but then something in the game might make you change your ways.  Its up to you how you want to play your character  hell I could think of so many more ways to play a character in that game.

I ve been playing roleplaying video games for 17years and Ive been playing tabletop games for 12, I don't see Mass Effect or Oblivion any less of a RPG compared to FF or BG1.  The sims is more of a  simulator, hence the name sims.  But it does have ways you can play your character.  

If you go back to RPG tabletop games which started the whole genre you still have Levels and character development and that is very much a core property of RPG's. RPG isn't just a way to roleplay a character.

Oblivion is FPS. Mass Effect is FPS. Kotor is FPS. These are not RPG's. Add a side quest or two to Far Cry and a few skills from which a player can choose, and it would still be FPS not RPG. The main gameplay in Oblivion, Mass Effect, Kotor is combat. In these games you spend most of the time fightning, or jumping or running from the first or third person view. The combat is action-based, the games are filled with action. You swing your weapon, you aim your bow, you target your spell... This is why it is FPS and not RPG.

• Redline65Redline65 Member Posts: 486

I feel so lonely in Oblivion, I guess because I'm used to MMOs now. It's hard to play a single player RPG.

Originally posted by NotNiceDino

While they are both very dark, and very adult...
    The Witcher and Fallout 3 are quite simply two of the best RPGs ever made, hands down. Both game offer an unparalled expirience at getting in to, and playing a character. Some might argue "Bah! Action Games" because in both cases you can pretty much just hack and slash your way to the end credits, but there is a far richer and more rewarding expirience in choosing who to play the role, and playing it offered in both titles.
    And for me, Fallout 3 was a HUGE step up from Oblivion which felt less like and RPG and more like a "Generic Fantasy World Simulator" with nowhere near the unique heart and soul that Morrowind had. Fallout 3 feels like Fallout. I'd go as far as to say that Fallout 3 feels more like Fallout 2 than Oblivion feels like Morrowind.
    The Witcher is consirably more linear (though it does an excellent job of offering alignment based choices) but is still an amazing game.
    I personally can't stand Fable. Fable is marketed 100% on it's offering of Alignment choices, yet there MANY fuller, richer, more interesting RPGs out there that to do the alignment choice thing far better than Fable does, Both games above are excellent example, KOTOR is another. And alignment choice in Fable means you character grows horns, nothing more.
    Perfact example: a early moral choice in Fable 2 means that a certain section of town either becomes a wealthy district or a slum 10 years later. The diffrance is PURELY cosmetic, either way the district contains the same houses, for the same price, with the same perks. On the good path, they have flowers in from, on the evil path has garbage. That's it. Likewise in Fallout 3, you nuke the entire first town out of existance, now THAT is your choices having a impact.
    Edit: Also I prefer an RPG where you character doesn't express themselves solely by dancing and farting.

Witcher was a joke with the alligment choices just like Kotor. Just because you have good vs evil doesn't mean there's alligment choices. Compare it with Planescape Torment. There you could do almost anything and you wouldn't need some stupid AND OBVIOUS good vs evil / black vs white / fire vs ice choices.

In Fallout 1/2? You could finish these games without a single fight. You're saying Fallout 3 is better? Don't make me laugh. Fallout is the same overrhyped crap just like Fable 2 which you're so much dislike. Action FPS games with some random RP features. I finally after all these years want another game that can be completed without a single gunshot just like old fallouts, but all I get are these unmature overhyped console shooters.

• UmbralUmbral Member Posts: 1,051

Witcher was a joke with the alligment choices just like Kotor.

The Witcher has different paths, but not a good or evil path, only KOTOR and Fable have this silly concept, the different paths in The Witcher are not exacly based on moral just personal decisions related to the original character from the novel.

The Witcher is the only singleplayer game with a low fantasy concept from the last 6 years, so Im not sure why you found the different paths concept so similar to kotor.

To tell the truth, among all RPGs from the last year, only the Witcher has an interesting story like Planescape, BG and good old rpgs etc.

The Witcher is also the proof that a small company without tons of hype can create a better and more expressive game than Bethesda, Bioware and Molyneux and make an impact in the gaming scene.  This is a very important point about the game.

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258

Oblivion is FPS. Mass Effect is FPS. Kotor is FPS. These are not RPG's. Add a side quest or two to Far Cry and a few skills from which a player can choose, and it would still be FPS not RPG. The main gameplay in Oblivion, Mass Effect, Kotor is combat. In these games you spend most of the time fightning, or jumping or running from the first or third person view. The combat is action-based, the games are filled with action. You swing your weapon, you aim your bow, you target your spell... This is why it is FPS and not RPG.

Just because you can control where you shoot your arrow and sword dosen't make it any less of  a RPG. They may have added FPS elements to it but its core is still RPG.   In table top RPGs you can choose where you wan't to shoot people and swing a sword so that why I like the FPS elements put into an RPG.

The  RPG genre is changing, I like real time combat but still having the ability  to pause the game and use some strategy.  You don't have to fight all the time in Oblivion and Mass Effect. Yes there is a lot but what RPG dosen't have a lot of encounters.   I got sick of playing FF games because I would run into an encounter every 5 seconds,  Talk about focusing on combat, lol.  Does that make it an action game?

Combat will always be a part of RPG's you can't always talk your way out of a battle, sometimes you have to let your sword or bullets do the talking for you.