Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any good single player RPGS?

Comments

• EATtheDEADEATtheDEAD Member Posts: 207

fable 2 looks awesome

--------------------------------------
    Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The force shall free me.
    -the Sith code

• MrTumN3sMrTumN3s Member Posts: 439

mount and blade.

best SPRPG EVER!

----------------------------
    Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

• TatumTatum Member Posts: 1,153

Fallout 3.  It's extremely addicting.  Seems like Bethesda learned a lot with Oblivion and I'm guessing they really payed attention to the popular player mods.  They've improved many of the flaws that existed in vanilla Oblivion and, just my opinion, but Fallout feels much more like an RPG.  Not to mention, the game can be really immersive at times.  "Dungeon crawling" is a hell of a lot better than Oblivion and it's fairly creepy/disturbing at times.

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574

Fallout 3 has a very unique environment.  It seems to be moddled after mad max even though it takes place in the 50s in the USA.  I love the biker outfits and how everything looks.  The skill system (which is from the original fallout)  is a lot better then one Oblivion uses IMO.  This is all personal opinoin, but it is nice to place in an environment that is out of the ordinary.  One thing I dislike about the game is how you can pick everything up even if it's useless.  I had picked up all the items I came accross and realized I didn't need it so I had to drop it all.

• FreddyNoNoseFreddyNoNose Member Posts: 1,558

How is Heroes of Might and Might V?  Never got around to it.

• NarsheNarshe Member Posts: 563
    Originally posted by Tatum

Fallout 3.  It's extremely addicting.  Seems like Bethesda learned a lot with Oblivion and I'm guessing they really payed attention to the popular player mods.  They've improved many of the flaws that existed in vanilla Oblivion and, just my opinion, but Fallout feels much more like an RPG.  Not to mention, the game can be really immersive at times.  "Dungeon crawling" is a hell of a lot better than Oblivion and it's fairly creepy/disturbing at times.

Agree with this. Playing it with all the graphics turned up and a great sound system here, and it's extremely immersive. I don't think the writing is as good as Fallout 1 or 2, but it's still very fun on its own. VATS is awesome.

Waiting for Fallen Earth, World of Darkness, Old Republic, FFXIV

• TatumTatum Member Posts: 1,153

Narshe:  Yea, I can imagine.  My PC is a couple years old, so I can't even think about cranking the graphics all the way up, lol.  But, with the lights off and some good head phones on, those ghoul infested ruins are creepy as hell.  And, I really love all the story and back ground clues they mixed in with computer logs, notes, etc.

My problem right now is tryinig to stick to one character.  I started a new "unarmed" character.  He's pretty entertaining so far.  Rush forward, go into VATS, and wail away.  Now I just need Bloody Mess...

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    Originally posted by Flyte27

Fallout 3 has a very unique environment.  It seems to be moddled after mad max even though it takes place in the 50s in the USA.  I love the biker outfits and how everything looks.  The skill system (which is from the original fallout)  is a lot better then one Oblivion uses IMO.  This is all personal opinoin, but it is nice to place in an environment that is out of the ordinary.  One thing I dislike about the game is how you can pick everything up even if it's useless.  I had picked up all the items I came accross and realized I didn't need it so I had to drop it all.

Not to nit pick or anything but the Fallout universe doesn't take place in the 50's.  Its an alternate universe that didn't progress much socially from the 50's but the actual war that caused the devastation occured in 2077 in that timeline.  Ok, geek moment over.

I agree, Fallout 3 is awesome and I can't wait to see what some of the mods are like.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• ZodiaEclipseZodiaEclipse Member Posts: 100

Who does the voice for the cripple pilot (Joker) in Mass Effect? He sounds familiar, but I can't place it.

• SteelroseSteelrose Member UncommonPosts: 215
    Originally posted by cukimunga

Originally posted by Steelrose

Originally posted by Obliviuze

Oblivion, and it's expansion Shivering Isles

He wanted to know a good cRPG. Oblivion is not a cRPG.

Um if your talking about Computer Role Playing Game then yes it is.  I have it on my computer and its a RPG.

Your other post why don't you see Mass Effect as a RPG? I consider  it a RPG its just not a Turn Based RPG.  Anything that has Character progression in it and Levels I consider an RPG of some sord. Be it Turned base, Action or FPS or TPS. There is all kinds of sub categories. 

If you dismiss all the RPG elements of a game just because it uses player skill to aim then im sorry I think that is crazy.

RPG is a way to roleplay your character, it doesn't mean just playing a different role in a game. Character advancement and levels are not signs of a RPG. The Sims is more a roleplaying game than oblivion or mass effect. They are both a hack'n slash action games.

• snowytechnasnowytechna Member Posts: 185

I see that almost everyone has mentioned Fable 2/Mass Effect/ The Witcher/Oblvion/Fallout 3...I guess these people have recently started playing RPG's..The games mentioned above are craptastic compred to gems like Baldurs Gate 1 and 2, Planescape Torment, Fallout 1 and 2. Seriously whats so good in Fable, it is freaking so simple to play.

If you have a PS1 or PS2 I'd recomment Chrono Trigger - a game which no one has mentioned for some reason, I guess they have never played it. FF VI is also really good.

• Thoric485Thoric485 Member UncommonPosts: 525

The Witcher

"The hammer of the gods will drive our ships to new lands,
    To fight the horde, singing and crying: Valhalla, I am coming!
    On we sweep with threshing oar, our only goal will be the western shore."
  • TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    Originally posted by snowytechna

I see that almost everyone has mentioned Fable 2/Mass Effect/ The Witcher/Oblvion/Fallout 3...I guess these people have recently started playing RPG's..The games mentioned above are craptastic compred to gems like Baldurs Gate 1 and 2, Planescape Torment, Fallout 1 and 2. Seriously whats so good in Fable, it is freaking so simple to play.
    If you have a PS1 or PS2 I'd recomment Chrono Trigger - a game which no one has mentioned for some reason, I guess they have never played it. FF VI is also really good.

Im pretty sure Chrono Trigger was for the snes.  Chrono Cross was for the playstation.

Yeah, especially BG1 and Torment. Let's be honest, BG2 was a halfway to hell (to NWN).

Originally posted by TheHavok

Im pretty sure Chrono Trigger was for the snes.  Chrono Cross was for the playstation.

Err there was a PS version of Chrono Tigger..It was more or less the same as the snes version but it had some extra features like better graphics and voices.

• MahloMahlo Member UncommonPosts: 814

I'm playing Fallout 3 and really enjoying it. It is very like Oblivion only in a post-apocalyptic setting rather than fantasy. The only aspect I'm finding annoying is the way it forces you to go to areas one way. You look on the map, take a route, and find you way is blocked. It seems less open world than Oblivion.

As for Fable 2, it's a novelty game. If you like the idea of farting and doing funny dances to amuse the townspeople then try it, if not, don't bother.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180
    Originally posted by Mahlo

I'm playing Fallout 3 and really enjoying it. It is very like Oblivion only in a post-apocalyptic setting rather than fantasy. The only aspect I'm finding annoying is the way it forces you to go to areas one way. You look on the map, take a route, and find you way is blocked. It seems less open world than Oblivion.
    As for Fable 2, it's a novelty game. If you like the idea of farting and doing funny dances to amuse the townspeople then try it, if not, don't bother.

There's a lot more to Fable 2 than the emotes that you use in town to communicate. The story has me drawn in, there are plenty of sidequests to go with the main quest, jobs, mini pub games, and to top it all off, plenty of places where you are left to choose to do evil or good, good often having seemingly bad consequences and evil having good consequences. You also have pureness, a more subtle version of good and evil.

If you don't like the game, that's fine, but don't be a prick and try to mislead people into not liking it with you.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

Yeah, especially BG1 and Torment. Let's be honest, BG2 was a halfway to hell (to NWN).

Hmm I dunno, I enjoyed playing it. For me it was BG1 with better graphics. I did not like NWN, It was too clunky for me.

I forgot to mention Suikoden and Shin megami Tensei PES 3..Now that was a really cool game.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

Icewind Dale was one of my favorites. Too bad Vista + new vid cards = not working.

Sacred 2 looks to have promise for a hack n slash RPG.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

Originally posted by skeaser

Icewind Dale was one of my favorites. Too bad Vista + new vid cards = not working.

Sacred 2 looks to have promise for a hack n slash RPG.

IWD is working with ease along with any other infinite engine game (BG, planescape..) on my vista x 64bit and new graphic card.

• heocatheocat Member UncommonPosts: 178

good old oblivion IV and the 2 add ons are in one package now.  just finished 2 worlds not bad Fable the lost chapters went pc

• RayanaRayana Member UncommonPosts: 525

I for one didn't start RPGs recently. But I think most people think that the OP is looking for newer games, but it isn't clear from his question. However, in another post he mentions Diablo 2, so he probably has played older games as well. No need to recommend 10 year old games then.

And yeah, I know, everything used to be better in the old days. When I was little barely anyone had a dish washer and you needed to do dishes in the sink. On television, there were only 2 channels.

------------------------------------------------

Playing: Final Fantasy Online: ARR, Destiny
    Most memorable games for me: UO, GW1, LoTRO

• RayanaRayana Member UncommonPosts: 525
    RPG is a way to roleplay your character, it doesn't mean just playing a different role in a game. Character advancement and levels are not signs of a RPG. The Sims is more a roleplaying game than oblivion or mass effect. They are both a hack'n slash action games.

All the better then! The OP stated he was addicted to Diablo for 2 years.

------------------------------------------------

Playing: Final Fantasy Online: ARR, Destiny
    Most memorable games for me: UO, GW1, LoTRO

• Jefferson81Jefferson81 Member Posts: 730

Oblivion and it's expansion is probably the best RPG ever made.

Originally posted by Jefferson81

Oblivion and it's expansion is probably the best RPG ever made.

Oblivion is no RPG. Oblivion is action game. It's a good action game. But don't expect it to be a RPG.