Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How long till world RvR gets serious?

13»

Comments

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988
    Originally posted by trevornor

Originally posted by lorndarken

Originally posted by calibek

Originally posted by Zorgo

Says who? What is your source? Your sacred text  which divulges the true nature of what RvR should or shouldn't be.
    This game failed for you because YOU want your play to be unplanned. WAR does have that, in scenarios and pve. But that didn't do it for YOU. So this game failed YOU.
    But, on the other hand, some of us gain more enjoyment out of seeing a plan and orginization put into practice and especially become successful. I enjoy planning and organizing. Sport teams schedule their games, would you say that negates all sports from being fun to play? Of course not.
    If you aren't a strategist, organizer, planner - you are right, this game isn't for you, unless the scenarios and pvp and random pick-up rvr warbands float your boat; which it obviously doesn't.
    But don't come here and tell me what RvR is 'suppose' to be... like you lifted it from the Bible written by the hand of God. I have fun with scheduled events, and there are 10's of 1000's of others who agree.
    And as for DAoC, guess what,  my guild planned in that game too - and we owned you. Oh yeah, and that's what I call FUN.

you didnt own crap ,

How would you know? you were dead before you could see who killed you?

your guild later on might of planed for rvr like now and days because mythic killed their own game  about 2 years ago but back in its glory days daoc rvr zones were pack

Sure, go ahead and believe that in the early days all guilds were disorganized randome casual players like you. Whatever keeps you warm at night.

this is what you fail to see in warhammer  , warhammer actully having people around the hour in geuss what ? the rvr zones, you go to a rvr zone in warhammer , it is empty  . some times there may be a few here and there  skirmishs , but not like the old school daoc  rvr days  where you had 50 peeps on one side , 50 on the other side and  another 50  peeps waiting to join the mix in an epic fight for your life   style of rvr in molvik  and you know why ???????? lets see if you can answer that one

I'm sorry, I didn't realize you wanted WAR to be a clone of DAoC so you could recapture the glory days of random zerg fests. Why did you have 50 people waiting to join the mix? Sure, I can answer that, poor design. I remember waiting and waiting and thinking, good lord I am paying to wait in line. I prefer RvR where anyone, anytime can go participate. I prefer an RvR zone where it starts empty and my guild and or my friends and I can create the havoc which ends with multiple warbands duking it out for control of their keeps. It is more dynamic. It accounts for groups from 3 to multiple warbands in the hundreds. You apparently can only have fun in an RvR style that has already been done and run its course. Have fun reliving the past. But to more directly answer you; yes you do not see in WAR what you saw in DAoC. Thank God.

But Kudos for being the first mmo'er to admit that what you are really looking for is a clone of past games, while most of us derail new game clones as uninovative, uninspired, boring, been-there-done-that.

and you ask where i come from  on knowing what true rvr is ? hello , i said it half a millions times allready if you were paying attention,. DAOC ,  scenarios are stupid , about as stupid as if not worst then guild wars random arenas or wow arenas.

Yeah, well, I played DAoC and I disagree. So my opinion about RvR is just as legit as yours. Get used to it. So why does your RvR knowledge out trump mine? I mean really, just because you played DAoC means NOTHING. NOTHHING NOTHING. I did to. I came to a very different conclusion. Your opinion is opinion and not fact. Or do you truly believe that 100% of old DAoC gamers feel exactly the way you do?

Your logic is air tight. 'scenarios are stupid'. How can one argue with such a well constructed thought? Your evidence, rationale and logic are unimpeachable.

in the old days of daoc,  pick up groups would happen around the clock 24/7 in the rvr zones,  loads of people, actully siegin going on, with people putting holes into the keeps..  do you see that in warhammer ?

God save me from a game that relies on pick-up groups 24/7. That is the opposite of fun to me. If warhammer begins catering solely to random pick-up groups, for me, that will be the death of WAR RvR. I don't want to play DAoC again. I have more fun working with a known team. Sorry.

in daoc you had more then one way to take a keep instead of just zerging it, in warhammer  is there another way to take a keep ? no.

Yes there is. And that is why you kept losing your keep and why you could never get it back.

in daoc you could find your self having to fight your way to the place to the keep, do you see that in warhammer ? no

Yes I have. In fact, almost every night. Are you sure you didn't accidently play something other than WAR? Oh that's right, you didn't play WAR, you kept trying to play DAoC over and over while in the WAR world and somehow went away unsatisfied.

With our coordinated guild efforts we set traps throughout the entire zone making the enemies life a living hell while trying to get to the keep. This is exactly what I'm talking about. Executing a strategy and winning is 10000% more satisfying than random zerg fests. Bar None.

in daoc the siege eqiupment could actully be moved to different location to location, do you see that in warhammer ? once again no no no no  no, and you know why ????? answer these questions for me .

You must be joking.

if warhammer was a game that was spose to be about rvr *just like we had in DAoC, they failed. now dont get me wrong on the game itself, the pve part is fun, the races and classes are cool, but if i wanted to play a game for the pve and classes and races, id play wow instead not this crap. , i wanted to play a game *exactly like DAoC for its rvr and pvp . and i got neither, because I chose not to adapt and learn how to play this new game.

fixed that last paragraph for ya....

I'm sorry, I didn't realize you wanted a clone of DAoC. I wanted  Warhammer. Any real discussion about WAR RvR is pointless since you are so blind with your love of the old DAoC days.

DAoC was great in its day. It got old and stale, but have fun with your leftovers.

Its all about opinion. I want a game that is dynamic, takes strategy and teamwork. You want a game that is stale, is a zergfest and you don't need friends. Neither of us are right or wrong. WAR succeeded in providing me what I look for. It failed YOU.

I'm glad there is a new way to RvR. I enjoy it. You may start with an empty zone in WAR, but with initiative and friends, you can create an epic battle between multiple warbands.

Now YOU answer me this, is there any other game on the market that provides that kind of RvR? No.

Well, perhaps you don't have initiative.

More likely you don't have friends.

wow , where do i start oh yes, You must be the biggest fanboi of warhammer i have seen on here, and full of lies  as well,

my knowledge of daoc out weighs yours cause i know for certain you did not play it  in the past if you cant appreciate what it once was,  the long battle that would go on in daoc, the different styles of attack to counter one another, and yes there was people then planning to build a good group to go into battle, but you had other who would join that came alone also.  its amazing how fun a game can be when everybody gets to play .

while i played warhammer i would find myself patrolling the open rvr zones,  did i come across any action  , or hugh  battles ? no . and you might find the reason behind it even more funny , cause there no one was playing in them , lol, who would of thought ????

daoc 2 ?  nooooo really ? are you sure its not by the same guys who made daoc ?

warhammer was promissing a better rvr game, what we got was not that.

scenarios are stupid because, they lack any effort for a real battle to continue when it is jsut random people thrown together    and that it be only for a limited time also.  , no real challenge or everything broken,  if there is planning  and unplaning  with in groups , they can make battles wonderfull

pluss the scenarios are a little to cheap when the people competing in them dont really help out when they cant even help themselfs out .  daoc didnt have a scenario button, but they did have a ticket to a rvr zone that would send you   to a place where you could spend hours there.

if you lost a keep in daoc, tough bananas for you, but i bet you had more fun defending it and had more passion  doing so then you do in warhammer,  by the way, hows that realm pride in warhammer?  i heard it is such a  super cool awesome radical blast !! /sarcasim

is there another rvr game on the market that  allows you and your friends to have a pillow fight ?

not that i know of, and if there was i would not even bother anyways

but if you can find me a game that has rvr that feels  like chaos and war is going on constantly  id be happy to go check it out

warhammer failed to deliver a finished product on what it was promising,. GET USE TO IT !!!!

The first mistake made was you came in expecting DAoC 2. When you didn't get exactly what you expected you didn't like it. Understandable. This is what led to your negative opinion of WAR. I, on the other hand, think WAR is much better that DAoC was. But as such, this is my opinion, just like your opinion on WAR. It is opinions and nothing more.

Also I'm just wondering but where are people getting the number of 250k subs. I've seen this posted in a few threads now and I'm just wondering where the number officially came from or if it is just a made up number.

it is not an opinion when it is fact .  dont come to a gun fight bringing a knife or eles you  will get shot.

warhammers rvr  is dog crap compared to daoc's ,  you cant argue against it so you call it an opinion ?, no , its just that i think you never played daoc in its glory day at all, so of course you would not know , period !!!.  and unless you been there , you would of known, as for the rest  of everybody who was there , including me, that can back it all up with facts !!!! we will continue to state the truth, facts, theroys about a comparison of daoc's glory days  to that of the mediocre you people have come to  know as crap hammer.

how the realm pride ? warhammer? i heard no one gives a crap when your city gets sacked, hmm  what a shame.

ill allways be a hib at heart !!!

Alright, then I will ask a question. How is DAoC's RvR doing NOW? And please back up with some sort of proof instead "because I said so"

Its more active than Warhammer, today at least. Alb's are pushing on hibs in their frontiers it looks like on the Devon cluster. And that game has alot less players than WAR has.

No action on my server in Warhammer, not yesterday, not today so far. Scenarios pop up almost instantly it seems though. =/

My proof is I got on my brothers account and checked :P

I cannot speak for the other servers in DAoC or WAR.

• MoretrinketsMoretrinkets Member Posts: 730

they could move all scenarios to tier 4 or have them available as special events during the weekend. At lower levels is not necessary to have scenarios. At level 40 would be fine since players will have more stuff to do other than taking down the king.

Scenarios are fun but it was not a good idea to allow access to them on lower Tiers. Now if you are level 40 you wont have access to most of the scenarios. Bad design.

Originally posted by neonwire

Originally posted by Wolfenpride

Originally posted by neonwire

Originally posted by Wolfenpride

So you believe this is a PvE game? Thats a first ill give you that, yet when people complain PvE is lacking people instantly say this is an RvR game..

Just curious do you think this is a PvE game because of how many guards their are within keeps/BO's? Whats the reason?
    I have no problem with PvE, i spend the majority of my time PvEing actually since their is no world RvR, and scenarios annoy me. But as I thought I said, PvE areas face the same issue, the zones are deserted. PQ's are impossible to complete, because you can rarely get enough players to stay and grind them out, often I have players abandon me during one for a scenario.
    As far as RvR not mattering, thats the problem. Since this game has been in development, Mythic has stated that this game, like their previous game, is about RvR endgame, taking keeps, fighting with the enemy realm, eventually perhaps taking a capital. Mythic states this basically in their FAQ if I recall, and you can look at the T4 maps which for the most part is an entire RvR lake.
    And you point out the problem basically, their is no point in taking keeps. People aren't motivated enough to get involved in it, to want to fight over tiers when they can just jump into a scenario for instant pvp and exp. Alot of ex-DAoC players have an issue with this situation, mythic is looking into it however and hopefully they will come up with a solution.

Well at the heart of it yes WAR is actually a PvE game. That certainly seems to be where Mythic has focused a lot of its attention anyway. The open RvR areas are really nothing more than empty landscapes with keeps or towers in them. Each generic boring keep or tower has its set of npc guards and keep lords and thats about it. Yes players can go into the RvR areas and fight over the keeps if they want to but then players could form up into groups and fight each other in WoW too. So basicly the only thing that seems to distinguish WAR from WoW is that the players can fight meaningless battles over Keeps and can eventually defeat the enemies home city.......which isnt much of a leap from WoW considering that players could already do that anyway to a lesser degree.

Sorry for comparing it to WoW (no I'm not a WoW fan......I actually dislike the game) but its kind of impossible considering that WAR has so clearly mimiced it in nearly every way. The thing is Mythic seems to think that by making a copy of WoW and then adding some big empty areas for players to fight each other in constitutes an RvR game and its all just a load of bollocks. They have made PvP more accessable but thats about it.

Like any PvE game the only objective the players have is to get more powerful. This is why Mythic tries luring its players like sheep into doing things by offering more exp for certain activities, such as signing to be an Order player on servers which are unbalanced. People cry "Oh Mythic please increase our exp reward for taking a Keep! Please reduce the exp gained from scenarios!" because the ONLY thing to do in the game is get to level 40 and be "the best". Mythic cant offer anything more than that because WAR is a static gameworld just like any other PvE mmo. The only things players can change is who has ownership of a Keep and ultimately the zone.......but what does that ownwrship mean? Ermmm.....nothing! Oh except for a few pissy bonuses which.......yeah thats right......help you gain levels quicker. Whats the f**king point in that?!!

So players just grind their way through levels in the easiest way possible because there isnt anything else to aim for in the game.

I find PvE ok in games too as its pretty much the main or only offering in most mmos but WARs PvE just isnt interesting in the slightest. If the ENTIRE gameworld in WAR was full-on RvR and actually designed around players fighting each other then I would probably be more interested in it. Players from both sides should have meaningful things to do and EVERY location in the game should be a tactical part of the map that each side can gain control over. So for example if you are an Order player in the Elf lands then you should be able to destroy those Dark Elf camps and the Destruction players should be able to rebuild them. The PvE stuff could still be there but it would all be an RvR battlefield as well which the players could fight over........which is the whole bloody point of Warhammer anyway.

Oh and yes I know we can go onto an open RvR server and wander into enemy territory but the PvE areas are static so you cant actually do anything meaningful once you're there anyway.

......and thats Warhammer Online basicly. A set of zones where the players can grind up levels by fighting the computer in the PvE area or other players in the RvR playgrounds. Controlling Keeps and Towers and also gaining zone control is all just fluff because no-one really controls anything at all.

You see what the problem is then obviously? Mythic took this game in a WoW direction by throwing in scenarios/Bgs, and completely ruining world RvR/PvP. WoW did the exact same thing with BGs, world pvp died shortly after they were introduced. World RvR is dead because the players are just joining scenarios, and feel no reason to fight for their keeps or wait for action, and thats why these lakes are empty.

If WAR had taken the DAoC direction and never introduced scenarios amongst other things, players would have to go looking in these "generic and boring" rvr lakes, and thats what would have really revived what RvR use to be and brought in alot of ex-DAoC players. If motivated properly, players would seriously turn these lakes into war zones, and keeps would be attacked/defended more often that now.

And your correct, endgame right now is broken, once again because no one feels theirs a reason to fight in the world when they can just join a scenario. It could have been different, DAoC is a perfect example of how endgame could have worked for this game, players fought for their keeps, and especially relics. Heck players roamed/patroled zones to take out enemies before they even got to a keep, not giving them a chance to prepare a zerg for a keep. But again, WAR is missing something to get players motivated for that sort of thing, it needs to be fixed.

As far as WAR being PvE focused, I don;t see it. No one is ever in a PQ, and rarely is questing, especially since renown gear is quite often better than anything a quest might give. PvE areas are deserted just like RvR lakes, players are just PvPing in scenarios because its basically rewarding them both in levels and gear, not to mention the thrill that comes with fighting other players.

Mythic obviously wants players getting more interested in world RvR as they've stated, they've tried with Exp/renown bonuses, but so far its barely helped. This game has potential to bring a playstyle thats been missing since DAoC went into decline, but otherwise for now, its just a WoW knock off, and I can find another game that has both a more in depth PvE, and active PvP system.

Oh I agree with you that scenarios have severely damaged the real RvR of the game. I dont think that its just scenarios that are the problem though although they are the most obvious issue. The real underlying problem is the entire design of the game.

Lets say that Mythic do eventually put up some servers where there are no scenarios. What do we have then? We are left with a PvE game where players can CHOOSE to go into the RvR areas. They dont HAVE to fight players for any particular reason though. If they want to they can just ignore the whole war with the other side and bypass it all by moving through the safe PvE zones of each tier.

Thats a terrible design choice! Why create a game about a big war between two sides and then allow the players to avoid the war completely by playing against the computer instead? So even if scenarios are removed you will still get a sizeable portion of its players that would rather grind up levels in the PvE area rather than actually fight a war with the other players because the so-called "war" is meaningless and doesnt matter.

Thats exactly how it worked in DAoC, and it worked fine. Their were safe PvE areas in each realm, and a player could choose to go at 50 into the frontiers for RvR, it worked perfectly fine that way. Players did not have to fight, but were inspired to do so because of the relic bonuses, owning them for your realm gave everyone small nice little bonuses.

Keeps didn't even offer any bonuses the way they do in WAR, but players still fought insanely hard over them. Now those players still had the choice, they could have stayed in their realm's PvE areas and raided dungeons for gear, and some did which is perfectly fine, it gave some players choice, and a place for them to grow their character so that at 50 they were ready for the frontiers.

Its a perfectly good design choice having both PvE and RvR mixed, but being an RvR based game, the majority of the players are going to RvR because they enjoy it, just like scenarios are now. You don't see the majority, if any at all, PvEing. They are all doing scenarios because its fast and gives players the thrill of fighting other players at the same time.

Because of scenarios, the "war" is basically in instances right now, if removed, those players who want to RvR still are going to start moving into RvR lakes, and hopefully players will get more motivated to defend and take keeps as they play through it for awhile and develop a sense of realm pride.

Not to mention I imagine even PvE areas would be more populated with the removal of scenarios, so they can get gear off of quests, and level if they don't feel like RvRing at the time.

• lorndarkenlorndarken Member Posts: 279
    Originally posted by trevornor

Says who? What is your source? Your sacred text  which divulges the true nature of what RvR should or shouldn't be.
    This game failed for you because YOU want your play to be unplanned. WAR does have that, in scenarios and pve. But that didn't do it for YOU. So this game failed YOU.
    But, on the other hand, some of us gain more enjoyment out of seeing a plan and orginization put into practice and especially become successful. I enjoy planning and organizing. Sport teams schedule their games, would you say that negates all sports from being fun to play? Of course not.
    If you aren't a strategist, organizer, planner - you are right, this game isn't for you, unless the scenarios and pvp and random pick-up rvr warbands float your boat; which it obviously doesn't.
    But don't come here and tell me what RvR is 'suppose' to be... like you lifted it from the Bible written by the hand of God. I have fun with scheduled events, and there are 10's of 1000's of others who agree.
    And as for DAoC, guess what,  my guild planned in that game too - and we owned you. Oh yeah, and that's what I call FUN.

you didnt own crap ,

your guild later on might of planed for rvr like now and days because mythic killed their own game  about 2 years ago but back in its glory days daoc rvr zones were pack

Sure, go ahead and believe that in the early days all guilds were disorganized randome casual players like you. Whatever keeps you warm at night.

this is what you fail to see in warhammer  , warhammer actully having people around the hour in geuss what ? the rvr zones, you go to a rvr zone in warhammer , it is empty  . some times there may be a few here and there  skirmishs , but not like the old school daoc  rvr days  where you had 50 peeps on one side , 50 on the other side and  another 50  peeps waiting to join the mix in an epic fight for your life   style of rvr in molvik  and you know why ???????? lets see if you can answer that one

I'm sorry, I didn't realize you wanted WAR to be a clone of DAoC so you could recapture the glory days of random zerg fests. Why did you have 50 people waiting to join the mix? Sure, I can answer that, poor design. I remember waiting and waiting and thinking, good lord I am paying to wait in line. I prefer RvR where anyone, anytime can go participate. I prefer an RvR zone where it starts empty and my guild and or my friends and I can create the havoc which ends with multiple warbands duking it out for control of their keeps. It is more dynamic. It accounts for groups from 3 to multiple warbands in the hundreds. You apparently can only have fun in an RvR style that has already been done and run its course. Have fun reliving the past. But to more directly answer you; yes you do not see in WAR what you saw in DAoC. Thank God.

But Kudos for being the first mmo'er to admit that what you are really looking for is a clone of past games, while most of us derail new game clones as uninovative, uninspired, boring, been-there-done-that.

and you ask where i come from  on knowing what true rvr is ? hello , i said it half a millions times allready if you were paying attention,. DAOC ,  scenarios are stupid , about as stupid as if not worst then guild wars random arenas or wow arenas.

Yeah, well, I played DAoC and I disagree. So my opinion about RvR is just as legit as yours. Get used to it. So why does your RvR knowledge out trump mine? I mean really, just because you played DAoC means NOTHING. NOTHHING NOTHING. I did to. I came to a very different conclusion. Your opinion is opinion and not fact. Or do you truly believe that 100% of old DAoC gamers feel exactly the way you do?

Your logic is air tight. 'scenarios are stupid'. How can one argue with such a well constructed thought? Your evidence, rationale and logic are unimpeachable.

in the old days of daoc,  pick up groups would happen around the clock 24/7 in the rvr zones,  loads of people, actully siegin going on, with people putting holes into the keeps..  do you see that in warhammer ?

God save me from a game that relies on pick-up groups 24/7. That is the opposite of fun to me. If warhammer begins catering solely to random pick-up groups, for me, that will be the death of WAR RvR. I don't want to play DAoC again. I have more fun working with a known team. Sorry.

in daoc you had more then one way to take a keep instead of just zerging it, in warhammer  is there another way to take a keep ? no.

Yes there is. And that is why you kept losing your keep and why you could never get it back.

in daoc you could find your self having to fight your way to the place to the keep, do you see that in warhammer ? no

Yes I have. In fact, almost every night. Are you sure you didn't accidently play something other than WAR? Oh that's right, you didn't play WAR, you kept trying to play DAoC over and over while in the WAR world and somehow went away unsatisfied.

With our coordinated guild efforts we set traps throughout the entire zone making the enemies life a living hell while trying to get to the keep. This is exactly what I'm talking about. Executing a strategy and winning is 10000% more satisfying than random zerg fests. Bar None.

in daoc the siege eqiupment could actully be moved to different location to location, do you see that in warhammer ? once again no no no no  no, and you know why ????? answer these questions for me .

You must be joking.

if warhammer was a game that was spose to be about rvr *just like we had in DAoC, they failed. now dont get me wrong on the game itself, the pve part is fun, the races and classes are cool, but if i wanted to play a game for the pve and classes and races, id play wow instead not this crap. , i wanted to play a game *exactly like DAoC for its rvr and pvp . and i got neither, because I chose not to adapt and learn how to play this new game.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize you wanted a clone of DAoC. I wanted  Warhammer. Any real discussion about WAR RvR is pointless since you are so blind with your love of the old DAoC days.

DAoC was great in its day. It got old and stale, but have fun with your leftovers.

Its all about opinion. I want a game that is dynamic, takes strategy and teamwork. You want a game that is stale, is a zergfest and you don't need friends. Neither of us are right or wrong. WAR succeeded in providing me what I look for. It failed YOU.

I'm glad there is a new way to RvR. I enjoy it. You may start with an empty zone in WAR, but with initiative and friends, you can create an epic battle between multiple warbands.

Now YOU answer me this, is there any other game on the market that provides that kind of RvR? No.

wow , where do i start oh yes, You must be the biggest fanboi of warhammer i have seen on here, and full of lies  as well,

my knowledge of daoc out weighs yours cause i know for certain you did not play it  in the past if you cant appreciate what it once was,  the long battle that would go on in daoc, the different styles of attack to counter one another, and yes there was people then planning to build a good group to go into battle, but you had other who would join that came alone also.  its amazing how fun a game can be when everybody gets to play .

while i played warhammer i would find myself patrolling the open rvr zones,  did i come across any action  , or hugh  battles ? no . and you might find the reason behind it even more funny , cause there no one was playing in them , lol, who would of thought ????

scenarios are stupid because, they lack any effort for a real battle to continue when it is jsut random people thrown together    and that it be only for a limited time also.  , no real challenge or everything broken,  if there is planning  and unplaning  with in groups , they can make battles wonderfull

pluss the scenarios are a little to cheap when the people competing in them dont really help out when they cant even help themselfs out .  daoc didnt have a scenario button, but they did have a ticket to a rvr zone that would send you   to a place where you could spend hours there.

if you lost a keep in daoc, tough bananas for you, but i bet you had more fun defending it and had more passion  doing so then you do in warhammer,  by the way, hows that realm pride in warhammer?  i heard it is such a  super cool awesome radical blast !! /sarcasim

is there another rvr game on the market that  allows you and your friends to have a pillow fight ?

but if you can find me a game that has rvr that feels  like chaos and war is going on constantly  id be happy to go check it out

warhammer failed to deliver a finished product on what it was promising,. GET USE TO IT !!!!

The first mistake made was you came in expecting DAoC 2. When you didn't get exactly what you expected you didn't like it. Understandable. This is what led to your negative opinion of WAR. I, on the other hand, think WAR is much better that DAoC was. But as such, this is my opinion, just like your opinion on WAR. It is opinions and nothing more.

Also I'm just wondering but where are people getting the number of 250k subs. I've seen this posted in a few threads now and I'm just wondering where the number officially came from or if it is just a made up number.

it is not an opinion when it is fact .  dont come to a gun fight bringing a knife or eles you  will get shot.

warhammers rvr  is dog crap compared to daoc's ,  you cant argue against it so you call it an opinion ?, no , its just that i think you never played daoc in its glory day at all, so of course you would not know , period !!!.  and unless you been there , you would of known, as for the rest  of everybody who was there , including me, that can back it all up with facts !!!! we will continue to state the truth, facts, theroys about a comparison of daoc's glory days  to that of the mediocre you people have come to  know as crap hammer.

how the realm pride ? warhammer? i heard no one gives a crap when your city gets sacked, hmm  what a shame.

Alright, then I will ask a question. How is DAoC's RvR doing NOW? And please back up with some sort of proof instead "because I said so"

simple answer , it is dead , i allready mentioned that it died off about 2 years ago, and mythic has yet to fix the problems that pleague the game , but back then it was packed . now it is as empty as warhammer is now  lol.   go download the daoc free trial, you will see for yourself EA mythic killed their own game, and hashed out an even more crap version.

so to answer your question again , daoc is dead.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

simple answer , it is dead , i allready mentioned that it died off about 2 years ago, and mythic has yet to fix the problems that pleague the game , but back then it was packed . now it is as empty as warhammer is now  lol.   go download the daoc free trial, you will see for yourself EA mythic killed their own game, and hashed out an even more crap version.

And here is the crux of the problem shedding light on your whole issue:

The problem here isn't WAR fanbois.

Its worse.

You are a DAoC fanboi.

Its gets worse:

You are a fanboi of DAoC 'as it used to be'.

It gets even worse:

You aren't even on the bandwagon of Pre-CU/NGE SWG fanbois (another set of fanbois of a game 'as it used to be' - you decided to be a fanboi of a game that had far less influence. In my opinion, that is pathetic. Oh wait, ill use your definition of the word 'opinion'. It is a fact that your fanboism is pathetic.

And here is the crux of the problem shedding light on your whole issue:

The problem here isn't WAR fanbois.

Its worse.

You are a DAoC fanboi.

Its gets worse:

It gets even worse:

You aren't even on the bandwagon of Pre-CU/NGE SWG fanbois (another set of fanbois of a game 'as it used to be' - you decided to be a fanboi of a game that had far less influence. In my opinion, that is pathetic. Oh wait, ill use your definition of the word 'opinion'. It is a fact that your fanboism is pathetic.

i was a fan of what daoc use to be, not what it is has become since toa. 

im more of a bandwagon type player, ill stick to a game if only it delivers and i find myself enjoying it. with warhammer this was never the case cause there is nothing  in the rvr to enjoy period, the only mmo i play curently now is guild wars, but that is not even a real mmo, before  that it was cov, cov was  a good game but i lef that after i got bored with it.    a fanboi  like yourself will stay in denile no matter how bad things get and say that there is nothing wrong with it even though you would be lieing to yourself,

i on the other hand and many others aswell  on this forum have stated whats wrong with warhammer and yet you , the fanbois are so angry you want to stick to a game that is  not even that great for the matter,and brush off any little statement and pretend its not true ,  do i want warhammer to be a great game so i would find myself playing it hours on end  ? yes very much so, heck i had hopes that things would get better day by day while i was playing, but  did it ever change ? the answer is no.

so let me ask you in return? were there any mmos you played that you found yourself  quiting  recently and told people about how this feature or that feature did not live up to your exspectations ?, cause i sure there is,  im  just one of many that is stating the diffrence  of warhammer compared to other mmos .

• fuzzylojikfuzzylojik Member Posts: 432

I find open world rvr fights nightly til the wee hours.  We just had a ton of small group skirmishes yesterday defending objectives, so I don't see you're coming from.  It was evenly matched too, both half warbands of pickup groups.

I also make guild/friend groups when I see enough of them on and these are also a blast using vent.  We use flanking manouvres, picking zergs apart from the back and the weakside and picking off stragglers.  It's reminds me a lot of daoc even up to the portal keep camps.

I find myself having loads of fun on my server as well as my guildies and friends.  There's RvR 24/7 there going to the wee hours of the morning.  Also found out there is a japanese guild on my server and I run with them late night.

I guess it's all about building the community and who you want to talk to, I've gotten alot of community spirit going by simply msging people and being talkative in warbands.  I guess alot of people just want stuff handed to them on a silver platter and get spoonfed stuff. Proactivity is the key to success.

• vidribbinvidribbin Member Posts: 54

How long till world RvR gets serious?

When i am on the battlefield

pow pow

about 2 month from here pow

• ArcheusCrossArcheusCross Member Posts: 793
    Originally posted by gan3f

It can't improve much based on how they focused their endgame.. WAR's endgame is built around PVE content.. You only get 2 sets of gear from pvp/ keep lord loot(which is half pve), the other 3 sets come from PVE dungeons that is required to actually do the end game city sieges.  WAR makes you grind PVE gear in dungeons rather then thru pvp/rvr.  
    You can't actually take over a city unless you have atleast the 3rd tier gear, which is from pve dungeons. Then you need the 4th tier gear to kill the king, which comes from grinding the pve content from the city.
    None of the end game loot is dropped from rvr or pvp, yes there is some pvp renown gear (it can't be used in any city siege encounter) but iam talking about gear that makes you progress in endgame king kills which is the endgame mythic talked about for so long, all the end game gear is dropped from poorly scripted npc encounters.
    Like i said in many other posts.. i wish i was wrong, and if iam show me where i have made these errors.

If thats true.. im glad as hell i uninstalled.

"Do not fret! Your captain is about to enter Valhalla!" - General Beatrix of Alexandria

"The acquisition of knowledge is of use to the intellect, for nothing can be loved or hated without first being known." - Leo da Vinci

• calibekcalibek Member UncommonPosts: 300

you didnt own crap ,

You must be joking.

"An opinion is a person's ideas and thoughts towards something."

Taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion

While you think the RvR was the best I know people who had different opinons on the RvR for DAoC back in the "glory days". And if you are so certain go ahead and try to back it up with facts. I'm interested to see where you get your facts from.

you didnt own crap ,

You must be joking.

While you think the RvR was the best I know people who had different opinons on the RvR for DAoC back in the "glory days". And if you are so certain go ahead and try to back it up with facts. I'm interested to see where you get your facts from.

fact number 1 , daoc had rvr going on  in the rvr zones 24/7 on all the servers except maybe the pvp and co op and test servers.

fact number 2 , the sheer number of players who were playing did it for the rvr , thats what made daoc the game of the year back in its day against suchs games like eq , uo , swg , and many others

fact number 3, when sieging  a keep , it would take anywhere up to 2 to 8 hours because people were playing .

fact number 4, daoc had a little thing called realm pride, where if you saw someone that was not on your side, you went to go kill them,

• GaryMGaryM Member Posts: 244

you didnt own crap ,

You must be joking.

fact number 1 , daoc had rvr going on  in the rvr zones 24/7 on all the servers except maybe the pvp and co op and test servers.

fact number 2 , the sheer number of players who were playing did it for the rvr , thats what made daoc the game of the year back in its day against suchs games like eq , uo , swg , and many others

fact number 3, when sieging  a keep , it would take anywhere up to 2 to 8 hours because people were playing .

fact number 4, daoc had a little thing called realm pride, where if you saw someone that was not on your side, you went to go kill them,

Sounds to me like you had a great player base. However, any game system that relies on the activities of a great player base is doomed to be a niche game. Most modern MMO players are primarily interested in collecting digital loot. So, if you want a good quality MMO to have a large following, you're going to have to *lure* them into interesting activity by offering a LARGE assortment digital loot at progressive difficulty levels. WAR hasn't achieved that formula yet, hopefully they will. If not, then they will shrink down to a few servers full of good quality people, and carve out a little niche. And the rest will continue playing WoW.

• calibekcalibek Member UncommonPosts: 300

you didnt own crap ,

You must be joking.

"Generally, a fact is defined as something that is true, something that actually exists, or something having objective reality that can be verified according to an established standard of evaluation."

Taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fact

1: So there was RvR going on every minute of every second of every day for however long and they never ever stopped under any circumstances, even during off peak hours?

2: So you know for a fact that EVERY person who participated in RvR did it for the RvR and no other reason? No one did it because their friends asked them too and they really didn't like RvR but they did it just to help friends out. I didn't know you could read people's minds.

3: Every single keep everytime they were sieged took a minimum of 2 hours or every keep battle that you attended? Was there a timer that the battle had to be 2 hours long minimum before the keep could be taken. Never was there a battle for a keep that took less time?

4: Most people had Realm Pride but there were probably some people who did not attack a different realm for, probably, a multitude of reasons.

I did not play DAoC in the "glory days" because I was too busy having fun with UO. some of my friends did. Some loved it, others, not so much but saying that it was the best game every is subjective to which you try to back it up with the above "facts".Here is the difference between a fact and an opinion.

Opinion: The Steelers are the absolute greatest football team in the NFL and will be so forever.

Fact: The Steelers are superbowl champions.

See the difference. People can dispute the opinion because some may not like the steelers but they cannot dispute the fact that they are superbowl champions because it is an actual event that happened and it is recoreded. Now with that out of the way would you show me where it is written down in any book that DAoC is the greatest game ever or was back in the "glory days". I don't mean some journalists opinion, I mean an actual fact written in say the guiness book of records or something.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

i was a fan of what daoc use to be, not what it is has become since toa. 
    Boy I wish I had said that, oh yeah: I did.....

Are you even reading my posts?

i'm more of a bandwagon type player, ill stick to a game if only it delivers and i find myself enjoying it. with warhammer this was never the case cause there is nothing  in the rvr to enjoy period, the only mmo i play curently now is guild wars, but that is not even a real mmo, before  that it was cov, cov was  a good game but i lef that after i got bored with it.   

a fanboi  like yourself will stay in denile (stop mispelling this: it's 'denial' : " denile" is a river in Egypt*)  i no matter how bad things get and say that there is nothing wrong with it even though you would be lieing to yourself,

You have 1 piece of evidence to label me a WAR fanboi, all you know about me and my opinion of WAR is "that I enjoy the rvr". Is every single person having fun in WAR a fanboi? Do you accept that there are non-fanbois enjoying this game? Do  you really think almost (if not over) half a mililon people are ALL fanbois?

You are assuming things about me, mostly because you aren't actually reading my posts as proven above. All I have done here is defended WAR rvr, because I'm having fun doing the rvr. I have a list of issues with this game, but they would be off topic. Pardon me to following thread etiquette.  As I said in the unabridged version of my post above, the problem here isn't WAR fanbois, the problem is your pathetic fanboism for 'the glory days' of DAoC.

YOUR FANBOISM IS PROVEN THROUGH YOUR OWN POSTS AND ADMISSIONS IN THIS VERY THREAD, I began responding to your irrational posts with a simple 'I disagree'. That wasn't good enough. So I explained. Then you started to attack my OPINION as wrong. You began insulting me. When you post in that manner, that shows who the fanbois are and aren't.

BTW, if you actually think you are 'owning' me in these posts....I invited my gaming friends over. We drank some beer and laughed hysterically at the way you have responded in this thread.

So for the record, keep calling me a fanboi, keep posting without reading what I wrote, keep taking the splinter out of my eye while ignoring the log in yours, it has given me and several others a good laugh at your expense.

Have I been insulting? Yep. Because you lowered it to that level by being disrespectful. Actually, I admit that I have been purposely pushing buttons to illicite more posts at which I can laugh. Now, you can cease to be my puppet by actually reading this post and responding to it respectfully. I guarentee I will respond with respect as well.

i on the other hand and many others aswell  on this forum have stated whats wrong with warhammer and yet you , the fanbois are so angry you want to stick to a game that is  not even that great for the matter,and brush off any little statement and pretend its not true ,  do i want warhammer to be a great game so i would find myself playing it hours on end  ? yes very much so, heck i had hopes that things would get better day by day while i was playing, but  did it ever change ? the answer is no.

No, I on the other hand have disagreed with your opinon and others have shared my view. Just as others have shared your view. Some in this thread are having a constructive discussion about pro's and con's of WAR pvp, you however are throwing a tantrum at everyone who disagrees with you. But if you are happy with the reality you've created for yourself, keep thinking that we only disagree because we are fanbois.

Your philosophy is, 'if you aren't with me, you are against me and I will label all against me a 'fanboi'.

so let me ask you in return? were there any mmos you played that you found yourself  quiting  recently and told people about how this feature or that feature did not live up to your exspectations ?, cause i sure there is,  im  just one of many that is stating the diffrence  of warhammer compared to other mmos .

Ok so this paragraph directly contridicts your paragraph immediately preceding it:

This paragraph, I do quit games because they don't live up to my expectations.

The previous paragraph, I do not quit games because of failed expectations, but rather keep playing in denial, hence, I'm a fanboi.

So I amend my earlier statement, you aren't even reading what you wrote yourself, let alone actually reading my posts.

Before I answer the question in this last paragraph, you have to tell me, am I a fanboi who blindly follows the game I'm playing despite its faults, or am I a person who you are sure quits games because they don't live up to my expectations? I just want to know which of my invented personalities you've created for me to use when responding.

* you probably won't get that joke

P.S.: Would you be kind enough to answer these questions for me? I would be happy to respond to them also if you are willing to participate.

What year did you begin playing DAoC?

How many years did you play DAoC?

How old are you?

Was DAoC your first pvp/rvr experience?

What was your first MMO?

What is your opinion of your first MMO?

What level is your highest toon from WAR?

Did you join a guild, and if so did they group for rvr?

If you joined a guild, did your guildmates group for scenarios in balanced teams?

( I know you say you shouldn't have to be in a guild to enjoy rvr btw, but again, in this and all games, I always find more enjoyment joining a solid guild. This is one of those 'opinion' differences between us which simply won't be resolved. I will never convince you that joining a guild to increase fun is advantageous, you will never convince me that developers owe us cooperative games/mmo's  where guilds aren't important.)

Was your server low, med or high population?

If not on a high pop server, did you ever re-roll on a high population server?

Was your server core, rp or open rvr?

Were you ever a member of a good solid guild from another game that moved to WAR? If so, did you join them? If not, why not? And if so, are they still playing WAR? 

And last, since you believe I am a WAR fanboi, tell me how you think I feel about WAR's balance issues, the removal of classes and cities prior to launch, WAR vs. WoW, WAR's bugs, squig herder/white lion issues, character respawn placement, 'join all' for scenarios, and yes and map utility?

And if I'm a WAR fanboi, the following answers should be cake:

Tell me what game I think has the best pve. Tell me what game I think has the best quests. Tell me what game I think has the best combat system. Tell me what game I think has the best graphics. Tell me what game I think runs the smoothest. Tell me what game I think is the most polished. Tell me what game I think has the best lore. Tell me the game I think has the best development team. Tell me what game I think has the best community. Tell me what game I think has the best customer service.

What you think you know about me, may surprise you. But more likely than not, you won't actually read this, but retort with a self-contridiction, an insult and some name calling.

PPS: Start deleting the unecessary parts of the 'quoted' posts - no one enjoys that wall of text you keep using in your responses. My posts may be long, but at least I've eliminated the info we have already gone over.

• KalmarthKalmarth Member Posts: 443

So who did the murder in the end I gave up after the first few pages? is this going to be a book on CD? if so is it going to be 20 or a 30 cd set?

• SteelguruSteelguru Member Posts: 118
    Originally posted by Kalmarth

So who did the murder in the end I gave up after the first few pages? is this going to be a book on CD? if so is it going to be 20 or a 30 cd set?

lol

Word is 1st Edition is going to be issued as part of  the "Learning to Quote 101" curriculum at Longwinded University.

Originally posted by Kalmarth

I feel in some small way I made mmorpg.com generally a better place, and much more sane.

Much like my thread back in the PoTBS boards :P

What year did you begin playing DAoC? 2003

How many years did you play DAoC? off and on, i can only play an mmo for so long due to money, but longest  time subed 10 months with out canceling at best

How old are you? 28

Was DAoC your first pvp/rvr experience? no, first game i played with pvp , was eq ,and if you want to count daiblo 2 

What was your first MMO? no  everquest was my first

What is your opinion of your first MMO? it was magical at first but got boring after trying to find a guild to do anything

What level is your highest toon from WAR? 17 dok

Did you join a guild, and if so did they group for rvr? is this a question in refrence to war or any mmo ?

if it was war you were refering to  yes and no , only  a couple time we went to do some rvr and in thoese times not once did we come across any order players

If you joined a guild, did your guildmates group for scenarios in balanced teams?  when we did group the scenarios was balenced,  each had the role they needed to be  , no challenge , or just a waste of time cause scenarios were boring  due to a lack of other team to fight back or our team would get split up and be in diffrent scenarios.

( I know you say you shouldn't have to be in a guild to enjoy rvr btw, but again, in this and all games, I always find more enjoyment joining a solid guild. This is one of those 'opinion' differences between us which simply won't be resolved. I will never convince you that joining a guild to increase fun is advantageous, you will never convince me that developers owe us cooperative games/mmo's where guilds aren't important.)

Was your server low, med or high population? when i first joined averhiem it was high/high then it sinked to med/med after the   realm pop bonuse, and another server , i forgot the name of was open rvr that was high/high  before the same cause of realm pop bonuses

If not on a high pop server, did you ever re-roll on a high population server?  i could no longer find a high/high server after the ream pop bonueses  after days of looking through the list even on peak hours that people would play at nights, all were med/med , or med/ low

Was your server core, rp or open rvr? i played core for my simi main and open rvr

Were you ever a member of a good solid guild from another game that moved to WAR? If so, did you join them? If not, why not? And if so, are they still playing WAR?  the guild i use to be with never had any plans to move to warhammer , and in my guild wars guild which is solid never had any intentions to join me aswell.

And last, since you believe I am a WAR fanboi, tell me how you think I feel about WAR's balance issues, the removal of classes and cities prior to launch, WAR vs. WoW, WAR's bugs, squig herder/white lion issues, character respawn placement, 'join all' for scenarios, and yes and map utility? how you would feel about the things you mentioned ,

1.  war balence is bleak at best, cause each classes is some sorta variation of a mirrior image of its counter part for another side , like magus/enginers,

2. class removals would be just that,  they were either to over powered or gimp from the start,

3. i never played wow at start i waited a long time before i even tried the free trial , good thing i did, the game was not for me and offered nothing new

4. you would be upset about the bugs i geuss

5.  the scenarios are a direct link to that of wows arenas, and if you were happy playing arenas in wow, im sure you would love scenarios in war.

6. map was buggy sometimes and did not offer much  of a clue if you really were to check in on the rvr, but you might not have a problem with that.

And if I'm a WAR fanboi, the following answers should be cake:

Tell me what game I think has the best pve.  the best pve would have to be  answered in 1 or 2 ways, if you like guild based pve then wow has it  , if for solo pve many would disagre with this but asuming if you even call it a game and not a mmo alone, then you best answer would be that of oblivion elder scrolls

Tell me what game I think has the best quests.  same 1  or 2 answer,  1st would be for quest alone your best choice would be guild wars hands down if by solo if you meant it , 2nd would be a subjective answer ,  lotro had great group quest, but  you maight disagre

Tell me what game I think has the best combat system. combat for player abillty , Coh/cov

Tell me what game I think has the best graphics. everquest 2 would be your choice even though the game looks plastic.

Tell me what game I think runs the smoothest.  depends on the computer , but as for the time now , wow would run the smoothest .

Tell me what game I think is the most polished. very subjective , by polished  if you mean , have 99% of the bugs worked out  then daoc would be your best choice

Tell me what game I think has the best lore. best lore , ill admit it hands down, warhammer dose, the history dating back from 1983  far exceeds most mmos wish to have,  as for lore in  current times,  you might  be either looking at swg or  ddo

Tell me the game I think has the best development team. best team with devs hands down is coh/cov since they give you exspansions for free with loads of content,

Tell me what game I think has the best community. the best community for an mmo would be coh/cov again , the people send out guild invites , chat, group , and pvp  

Tell me what game I think has the best customer service. as for now ill say warhammer , since they do show that they are willing to get rid of gold spammers like crazy and the bugs they are working on in such a timely fashion , it would be great if all mmos would have that.

What you think you know about me, may surprise you. But more likely than not, you won't actually read this, but retort with a self-contridiction, an insult and some name  , and this is where you may be wrong yourself .

send your responses.  :D