Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any good single player RPGS?

Comments

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180
    Originally posted by star.buck

I hate to derail this, but how is Fable 2?

AWESOME!

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• DragonMyth88DragonMyth88 Member UncommonPosts: 245

If I where you id wait for Dragon age its like the darkfall to the mmo genre like it is to the rpg genre. if your looking for somthing thats coming around now id say fable 2 and fallout for 360 version not ps3. cuase ps3 version got mangled for fallout. If you want to wait around for an old classic id say prince of persia but the new animaish look is making me have my doubts( but im still 100% buying it lol).

• RavanosRavanos Member Posts: 897

its really sad when single player RPGs are becoming better at living worlds than MMOs which I think in the beginning what they (MMOs) were truely trying to achieve. And MMOs now are trying to become more singleplayer linear games.

Be proud of yourselves soloers your endless bitching and whining about being forced to interact with other people pretty much killed off the whole point of the MMO genre.

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258

I would say Fallout 3, Mass Effect are pretty sweet non fantasy RPG's. Im getting tired of fantasy games to be honest. I don't even think I will get Dragon Age, I still havent really gotten that far in The Witcher.

I just recently was playing Oblivion and I don't feel like im playing an oblivion mod. It totally feels like a different game. While it kinda has  the same feel there are things that set it apart. VATS is great, and you have limbs that can be crippled and can effect your accuracy run speed.  Perks are nice I think there is way more character customization in Fallout 3.

• RayanaRayana Member UncommonPosts: 525
    Originally posted by hater88

tired of the online thing, gonna take a break, any suggestions?!

It's going to get boring, but I'm joining the majority of the recommendations: Fallout 3.

And if you haven't gotten around to that one last year: The Witcher (Enhanced edition).

------------------------------------------------

Playing: Final Fantasy Online: ARR, Destiny
    Most memorable games for me: UO, GW1, LoTRO

• SteelroseSteelrose Member UncommonPosts: 215

Oblivion and Mass Effect are not RPG's and I don't care how much they payed for its publicitiy. The RPG I would recommened you are quiet old (Arcanum, Fallout 1+2, Baldur's gate 1+2, Planescape Torment, Divine Divinity, Gothic series)

• BladinBladin Member UncommonPosts: 1,089

Coulda swore i responded to this.... but regardless.

Vampire the masquerade bloodlines.

It's the best rpg ever made. Admittedly the combat isn't the best.  But that's not important. It has the best

Story

Characters

Atmosphere

Missions

Side Missions

All the little details in it are just superb.

Don't use a guide to play it either, just explore the world, talk to people, do side missions, it's a blast.  Everytime i go through i find something new, or some little side quest i missed.  Heck I just found a important story related little thing i missed on my lsat playthrough.

+ it's only 10 bucks on steam! GO GETZ IT!

• EvilGargamelEvilGargamel Member Posts: 85
    Originally posted by hater88

tired of the online thing, gonna take a break, any suggestions?!

Eat Ice Cream

• AeodinAeodin Member Posts: 10

The World Ends With You

Golden Sun 1/2

Final Fantasy 1-12

Final Fantasy Tactics/Advanced/A2

Oblivion

Fallout 1/2/3

Fable 1/2

Diablo 1/2

Freedom Force

• Jefferson81Jefferson81 Member Posts: 730

The Elder Scrolls III : Morrowind

The Elder Scrolls IV : Oblivion

The Witcher

What to avoid : Neverwinter Nights 2 (becuase of it's many still unfixed bugs, the story is pretty ok I guess)

• LondonMagusLondonMagus Member Posts: 700
    Originally posted by Aeodin

The World Ends With You
    Golden Sun 1/2
    Final Fantasy 1-12
    Oblivion
    Fallout 1/2/3
    Fable 1/2
    Diablo 1/2
    Freedom Force

I played the original Final Fantasy Tactics on the PS1 & it is still near the top of my best games ever list! 

If you can't "Have your cake & eat it too", then how can "The proof of the pudding be in the eating"?

• krakkenkrakken Member Posts: 200

i you are looking for a cool rpg with mature content/story check out the witcher.

for me the best solo rpg in the last years

• AeodinAeodin Member Posts: 10
    Originally posted by LondonMagus

Originally posted by Aeodin

The World Ends With You
    Golden Sun 1/2
    Final Fantasy 1-12
    Oblivion
    Fallout 1/2/3
    Fable 1/2
    Diablo 1/2
    Freedom Force

I played the original Final Fantasy Tactics on the PS1 & it is still near the top of my best games ever list! 

Glad to know I was able to hit the mark with that one! And to think I wasn't planning to add it because most people I know didn't like it. I loved it though.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Diablo isn't really a RPG, it's more of an action game.

A good one of course but RPG is about interacting with others (humans or AI) and in Diablo the interacting is minimal. I never liked D2 myself however, it wasn't as new and fresh as the first. The first one was very new thinking at the time, the second one was one of the last 2D games, only Westwood did those also at the time.

D2 would have been great earlier but to me it came out a few years too late. But it ain't a RPG  game it either, Baldurs gate is an RPG, Daggerfall or Pool of radiance (the first one).

Vampire - Bloodlines is also an MMO, a bit old now but was kinda fun at the time.

• nomadiannomadian Member Posts: 3,490

I still play the PS2- and you got stuff like Shadowhearts on that, as well as FFX and a less popular mention of Drakan. Recently picked up Legend of Dragoon on the PS1 and I am trying this- surprisingly it isn't as crap as I first thought it might be.

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216
    Originally posted by nomadian

I still play the PS2- and you got stuff like Shadowhearts on that, as well as FFX and a less popular mention of Drakan. Recently picked up Legend of Dragoon on the PS1 and I am trying this- surprisingly it isn't as crap as I first thought it might be.

legend of dragoon is one of those rpgs that was looked over during all the FFs and the other wanna be RPGs that were released during that time. It really deserves alot more credit for what it is. I remember i had to rent it twice to get to the end, then i bought it 2 years later and beat the last boss (something i was unable to do when i rented it).

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

• ObliviuzeObliviuze Member Posts: 12

Oblivion, and it's expansion Shivering Isles

Originally posted by Obliviuze

He wanted to know a good cRPG. Oblivion is not a cRPG.

• JackRandomJackRandom Member Posts: 6

if all goes well, then FF XIII should be out in december, and hopefully be amongst the best in its series :)

so if you can wait that long, i would suggest that one.

or else you could buy Fallout 3, really nice post apocalyptic RPG game, and expect MANY hours of gameplay

• RayanaRayana Member UncommonPosts: 525
    Originally posted by Steelrose

Oblivion and Mass Effect are not RPG's and I don't care how much they payed for its publicitiy.

I would really like to know your reasoning behind this? And if it's not an RPG, what is it then?

------------------------------------------------

Playing: Final Fantasy Online: ARR, Destiny
    Most memorable games for me: UO, GW1, LoTRO

Action games.

• ganbeeganbee Member Posts: 233

OP,

Been playing fallout 3, Not sure you would call that RPG. It is a whole lotta fun for single player.

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258
    Originally posted by Steelrose

Originally posted by Obliviuze

He wanted to know a good cRPG. Oblivion is not a cRPG.

Um if your talking about Computer Role Playing Game then yes it is.  I have it on my computer and its a RPG.

Your other post why don't you see Mass Effect as a RPG? I consider  it a RPG its just not a Turn Based RPG.  Anything that has Character progression in it and Levels I consider an RPG of some sord. Be it Turned base, Action or FPS or TPS. There is all kinds of sub categories. 

If you dismiss all the RPG elements of a game just because it uses player skill to aim then im sorry I think that is crazy.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Mass Effect and Fallout 3 I recommend.

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

Kings Bounty: The legend // Mass Effect // The Witcher