Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dark Fall is Coming! DEC Release has beeen annouced!

Comments

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333
    Originally posted by toddze

Originally posted by TheHoweller

I promised I wouldn't reply.......Someone please punch this kid, please....Right in the throat would be best.
    Changing subjects, anyone know of a damned good game without the typical grind of an MMO?  Other than Darkfall, of course.

Lol, in DF your going to be grinding ALL major skill ups like mad for endless hours. Just look at all those weapons that your going to have to endlesly grind skill points on to be able to use. DF is going to be a major grind fest just like all other MMO's past, present and future. You need to change your last sentance to read, " anyone know of a dammed good game with a grind that i can find tolarable in an MMO."

In recent ADW's DarkFall  presentation :

-Q (someone from audience): How long will it take to max out a skill?To become uber ?:P

-A (Tasos): theoretically you can max out everything.Skill cap is 100, but it can change (expansions etc).If you want to be very good in 1 thing it will take about a week.

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• originaleggoriginalegg Member Posts: 1,099

I promised I wouldn't reply.......Someone please punch this kid, please....Right in the throat would be best.
    Changing subjects, anyone know of a damned good game without the typical grind of an MMO?  Other than Darkfall, of course.

Lol, in DF your going to be grinding ALL major skill ups like mad for endless hours. Just look at all those weapons that your going to have to endlesly grind skill points on to be able to use. DF is going to be a major grind fest just like all other MMO's past, present and future. You need to change your last sentance to read, " anyone know of a dammed good game with a grind that i can find tolarable in an MMO."

This is just factually wrong.

Feel free to say its vaporwarez, worst game ever, terrible never going to release, a complete scam even....

but this is just wrong.

• DuraheLLDuraheLL Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by originalegg

Feel free to say its vaporwarez, worst game ever, terrible never going to release, a complete scam even....

but this is just wrong.

But... he didn't say any of that in what you quoted. He said that there might be a fair amount of  "grind" within Darkfall just like any Role playing game has. Which is factually right... right?

$OE lies list
    http://www.rlmmo.com/viewtopic.php?t=424&start=0
    "
    And I don't want to hear anything about "I don't believe in vampires" because *I* don't believe in vampires, but I believe in my own two eyes, and what *I* saw is ******* vampires! "

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150
    Originally posted by DarthRaiden

-Q (someone from audience): How long will it take to max out a skill?To become uber ?:P

-A (Tasos): theoretically you can max out everything.Skill cap is 100, but it can change (expansions etc).If you want to be very good in 1 thing it will take about a week.

Like I said its going to be a grind. I see nothing there that says otherwise. Your going to want to level up more than 1 skill are you not? You should have countless weapon skills, countless ability skills. countless majic skills. You actually changed my mind DF is going to be a MAJOR grind game more so than the average. I dont know how in the world this DF cult can be so naive. I have never seen such an community so way off base in all my years of gaming.

You guys ever hear that country song, i dont know who sings it but, in the song he is selling ocean front property to people who live in arizona? Everytime I see posts related to DF that song always comes to mind.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• originaleggoriginalegg Member Posts: 1,099
    Originally posted by DuraheLL

but this is just wrong.

But... he didn't say any of that in what you quoted. He said that there might be a fair amount of  "grind" within Darkfall just like any Role playing game has. Which is factually right... right?

Do you share a bed with him or something?  Why would you obviously try and change his words to make it seem more objective?

He didnt say "a fair amount of grind".....i believe he said....and i could be wrong because lol there isnt a quote function or anything right....."DF is going to be a MAJOR GRINDFEST"....and commented on how you would need to "endlessly" grind skills.  Sorry but thats not the same as fair amount of grind.

And no its not factually right.  Grind is subjective as has been argued in other thread.  Sometimes it is more aparent than others....but there are MMOs that dont really force you to grind.  EVE comes to mind.  Grind is a subjective phrase.

• xzyaxxzyax Member Posts: 2,459

Sigh.
    Dec. releases has NOT been announced.
    Thats all i really have to say about that...stop posting false info.
    And to everyone saying "oh it is too late it wont do good".....if you heard DF was amazing and was getting 10/10 reviews...you would not just sit there and be like "nope i wont play it no matter how good it is, i would have played it 3 years ago but nope not now".
    cya in game

I agree.

If the game is good... we'll all be playing it.  Fans, skeptics, & haters. 

For the OP:

There was no Dec. release date.

"Marketing consideration kept us from just announcing a release date."

"The game will be ready for release, and the launch may follow directly, or shortly after, depending on the marketing landscape at the time."

There was no Nov. 10th promise of starting Open play-testing Beta.

"...we’re going to start opening up the beta to more and more testers on or around November 10th to coincide with the next phases of our server deployment."

• DuraheLLDuraheLL Member Posts: 2,951

Do you share a bed with him or something?  Why would you obviously try and change his words to make it seem more objective?
    He didnt say "a fair amount of grind".....i believe he said....and i could be wrong because lol there isnt a quote function or anything right....."DF is going to be a MAJOR GRINDFEST"....and commented on how you would need to "endlessly" grind skills.  Sorry but thats not the same as fair amount of grind.
    And no its not factually right.  Grind is subjective as has been argued in other thread.  Sometimes it is more aparent than others....but there are MMOs that dont really force you to grind.  EVE comes to mind.  Grind is a subjective phrase.

That's what he said. It will be pretty much a grind. Even though he expressed it quite excessively his point remains the same no matter how he would have phrased it.

And leveling up skills and gathering components to build stuff sure can be called "grinding". Since that's what it is. You will probably kill stuff "just to level your skills". Stuff that you don't have much reason or joy to kill, just like any other game.

EVE kinda removed grind, instead you learn skills by time. Making it impossible to gain them any faster than a pre-set time. Someone gaming a whole day will get it just as fast as someone gaming 1 minute a day.

$OE lies list
    http://www.rlmmo.com/viewtopic.php?t=424&start=0
    "
    And I don't want to hear anything about "I don't believe in vampires" because *I* don't believe in vampires, but I believe in my own two eyes, and what *I* saw is ******* vampires! "

but this is just wrong.

First and foremost stop quoting threads out of order to try to make your point. I said DF is going to be a major grind fest after durhells post.

I think 90% of people will say if you have to go around spamming a skill for a week to max that, that is grinding.

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

but this is just wrong.

First and foremost stop quoting threads out of order to try to make your point. I said DF is going to be a major grind fest after durhells post.

I think 90% of people will say if you have to go around spamming a skill for a week to max that, that is grinding.

No you seem not to understand the game concept...

1) There are no general level..means you have not to grind to some level for to compete to someone else..

2) Diversity of skills (keep in mind absnce of general levels)  let you try any skill /skill combination as you wish

3) To get max out of some skill you need a week ..

Therefore

Nothing forces you to keep raising a skill for to take part in aspects of the the game.

ergo

No grindfest

You could just have the skill 1 handed at 60 face someone with skill level of 99 in 2 handed but in combination with your shield skill at 40  you compete and win ..

Or hit him with Bow skill at 30 at range to weak him get close equip your 1 handed sword at skill level 50 and finish him off ...

Some time investment will be of course put into ..but the game concept talks for less grind in game...its like it talks to you and offer

"my friend decide what you like to do in game, keep on it while having fun doing it"

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• almerelalmerel Member UncommonPosts: 658

All mmo's have to have grinding in them. We as players need to grind or we would become bored faster than if there was no grind. If you don't like grinding try something other than a mmo. Mmo's will always have some styling of the grind. However, we as players want more than just bs for our grinding efforts.

Example: I like to farm for gold aka grinding for gold. I like money so I can buy the next item to help me quest. Questing is also grinding when you get down to the nuts and bolts of it all.

It's a matter of opinion what YOU as the gamer enjoy to grind. Just accept the fact that we all grind in the mmo world.

-Almerel

Hello my old friend.

I am sorry what was I thinking..... All hail DF. DF will be the second coming of christ. All hail DF. DF will have no grinding. All hail DF. DF will be better than advertised. All hail DF. We followers are the deciples. all hail DF. DF will reign supreme. All Hail DF. DF will run flawlessly. All hail DF. all hail DF

I am tired of writing that crap so my point I just want you to wake up a bit there will be grinding in it plain and simple. The higher you hype yourself up over a silly game the further your going to fall. Name one game that lived up to the hype?

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Like I said its going to be a grind. I see nothing there that says otherwise. Your going to want to level up more than 1 skill are you not? You should have countless weapon skills, countless ability skills. countless majic skills. You actually changed my mind DF is going to be a MAJOR grind game more so than the average. I dont know how in the world this DF cult can be so naive. I have never seen such an community so way off base in all my years of gaming.

You guys ever hear that country song, i dont know who sings it but, in the song he is selling ocean front property to people who live in arizona? Everytime I see posts related to DF that song always comes to mind.

Ok first off, I have to ask at this point if you have read the info on DarkFall and if you know about how skilling up skills works. I mean you do realize by using a skill you gain in it correct? Ok so I want to skill up sword skill, I grab a sword and go kill stuff, or spar with a friend, or go PvP, hmm few methods I could skill up here so it isn't exactly adhering to the Grind deffinition now is it. A grind is being forced to repeat an action over and over to gain something. Wether it be monetary or in skill. In DarkFall there are more avenues that lead to the same end than there are in themepark games. This is one of the things people love about Sandbox's.

Ok back on to my sword skill, I want to skill it up hmm. What should I do? Should I go kill goblins and farm some gold at the same time? Should I go kill animals and skin them so I can work on crafting later if I want? You know what I should take bandages with me so I can keep myself alive and skill up my healing skill as well. I think I am going to go fight animals for there skins, while I get skill ups in swords and healing I can make a bit of cash by selling the hides after I am done. Ok now should I ride there? Nah I think I will run so I can get my running skill up....wait better yet my swimming skill is really low I should swim there. This way I can skill up like 4 skills at the same time.

You see the above? That is not grinding, grinding is the following.

Ok .... I need level up and I am level 19, I can't find a party so I better go to the only zone there is that has mobs my level. If I kill 100 of these orcs I will level. 2 hours of killing Orcs, sweet I am half way to my level. 1 hour later, God I wish there was something else I could fight, I have been fighting orcs since level 15 in 1 more hour I can move on to Ogre's.........

The above is grinding, it is repeating the same action over and over to reach a goal. Doing something like this repeatedly is not very much fun and is in fact a grind. This is typical of a themepark game.

Next time, please understand the deffinition of a word or atleast use it in the context it is meant when you use it.

DarkFall will not have grind for the simple fact there will be multiple avenues you can take to complete the same goal. This is one of the key elements of a sandbox. If you have never experienced this then I feel sorry for you and recomend you try a sandbox out.

• almerelalmerel Member UncommonPosts: 658
    Originally posted by 
    Ok .... I need level up and I am level 19, I can't find a party so I better go to the only zone there is that has mobs my level. If I kill 100 of these orcs I will level. 2 hours of killing Orcs, sweet I am half way to my level. 1 hour later, God I wish there was something else I could fight, I have been fighting orcs since level 15 in 1 more hour I can move on to Ogre's.........
    The above is grinding, it is repeating the same action over and over to reach a goal. Doing something like this repeatedly is not very much fun and is in fact a grind. This is typical of a themepark game.

Umm you will be doing this regardless of the game. Wish as you might even DF will do this. I am looking forward to this game because I like playing in sand, but we as players need to realize all mmo's will have grinding. It might not be defined as lvling but your skill lvl will still define it.

-Almerel

Hello my old friend.

• TheHowellerTheHoweller Member Posts: 407

I am sorry what was I thinking..... All hail DF. DF will be the second coming of christ. All hail DF. DF will have no grinding. All hail DF. DF will be better than advertised. All hail DF. We followers are the deciples. all hail DF. DF will reign supreme. All Hail DF. DF will run flawlessly. All hail DF. all hail DF
    I am tired of writing that crap so my point I just want you to wake up a bit there will be grinding in it plain and simple. The higher you hype yourself up over a silly game the further your going to fall. Name one game that lived up to the hype?

Of the games and/or MMOs that I've played, Knight Online, Guild Wars, Diablo II, WoW (for a month (the grinding got to me, but the hype was definitely met)), Pristontale (I'm a fag...Whatever), and lastly, Vanguard (a year after release :P).

But yeah, for me...All of the games above, lived up to their hype...Given that three of the 6 are Korean based F2P MMOs, and two of the others aren't literally considered MMOs...Of them you will likely only consider one worthy...WoW did live up to its hype.

-------------------------------
    It's honestly like everyone logs onto WoW, and games like WoW, just to masturbate. Everyone plays by themselves, and when they don't, they get what they want and get off.
    -------------------------------
    Originally posted by atziluth...
    Ah yes when the unreasonable are faced with reason they must resort to personal attacks...When you are ready to move up from the kids table you can talk with the grown ups.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by almerel

Originally posted by 

Umm you will be doing this regardless of the game. Wish as you might even DF will do this. I am looking forward to this game because I like playing in sand, but we as players need to realize all mmo's will have grinding. It might not be defined as lvling but your skill lvl will still define it.

The above means you have no understanding of the mechanics involved in a sandbox. In a themepark the Grind is the game, in a sanbox the skill ups and progression are byproducts of what ever you chose to do. Saying DarkFall will have Major Grind compaired to other MMO's or even in general shows a lack of comprehension. I mean simply put the grind isn't there because you are not forced to do anything. The skill ups can come by doing what you wish where you wish and even how you wish. There is no forced path of grind you must do. This is by mechanics alone. Part of the appeal of sandbox's is that there isn't the grind that comes with Themeparks. In UO you could grind if you wanted but it wasn't required which is very similar to DarkFall in concept. There skill system is very compairable. Not being forced to do anything a certain way negates saying it is a grind.

If you can't understand the above the you do not understand sandbox's. By design they are largely exempt from grinds. There is still some grind present but you only do it if you choose to.

If I go farm for gold, items or w/e as a by product I get skill ups. If I go get skill ups as a by product I get gold,items and w/e else. If I go out with some friends ig and goof around in a dungeon to have fun I get skill ups and items. The grind isn't the game in a sandbox, the progression is a by product of the activities you choose to do. In a themepark game there is no progression without the grind.

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

I'm not so sure you can call all actions a 'grind' simply because they are repetative, this is all about the definition. If so, strictly speaking nearly all actions in a game of any kind could be called a 'grind'.

If there is reason and motivation of a valued nature behind an action then it's hardly a grind in the principle of how the word is used. If I'm out hunting certain mobs for a quantity of their skin because it has a decent cpu value in the market that week, then I dont consider my hunting party grinding, even though we will in effect be repetativlely doing the same thing and our skills incresing at the same time.

Off Topic: Bought up in some other post here, do we have info on the 'mob levels'? Are there mob levels, surely the point of  sandbox is that there are no difficulty levels for mobs, this being the case how will they manage to maintain a chalenging fight as people gain better efficiency in their weapons? Are we talking about a PreCU-SWG type scenario where some planets are simply PvE walkovers for veterans?

Not critisicing just looking for info.

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• imbantimbant Member Posts: 1,291

heh sounds like someone is getting worked up about a game he is so obviously against...

like originalegg and others have said, grind is subjective.  sorry if you play games for reasons other than having fun and you just want to rush to endgame.  cant help you there but that doesnt make games, before they even come out, grindfests.

Like howeler said....WoW lived up to its hype, plain and simple.  So yea, care to argue that?  You cant but i would love to see you try because you trolls cant ever be wrong.  Though youll prob just respond completely ignoring that point and going after something else.

EVE elimanted the grind in a way.  But i guess you can make an argument that you have to "grind" for money or whatever, but isnt that playing the game?  I guess you have to "grind" materials to craft in mmos, but isnt that playing the game if you are having fun?

FACT

no one has played DF yet.  I am not saying its going to be the second comming of christ.  You seem to think so, which is sad (sarcasm).  It could flop.  It could be amazing.  But you dont know if its going to be a grindfest.

Ive heard people belittle WAR for having to "grind" scenarios.  Im sorry but pvping and having fun is not grinding.  Im not even going to get into the fact that you can level in other ways.

I think guys like you are just on these boards to vent and complain about every game no matter what.  And you use words like grind too loosely.  Have fun or stop playing....no one likes a crybaby.

~~
    Darkfall Releases on: February 25th, 2009

Darkfall Recap of everything that has happened the last 3 months: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/213296

"The monsters are tough. I was looking for a challenge, but these things are just too damn smart." -DF Beta Tester

"If people were dismissing it, then they wouldn't be talking about it. The well-meaning gamers root for efforts that try to raise the bar. So who's left? It's so easy being a skeptic." -Tasos

• CamthylionCamthylion Member UncommonPosts: 220

lol I will be laughing at all of you haters when this game is stable and a great mmo andvery sucessful... remembering how you sat on forums and hated on the game but once it was released u played it harcore because it was such a great game 

• bongloadsbongloads Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by TenSpotting

Let them release the game this year so it dies in less than a year from lack of interest, poor support, poor marketing,  lack of features and updates and bugs.
    Want to know the major reason why this game will fail? 
    Because it will NEVER EVER live up to the hype that was created for it by the fanatics that follow it as well as the developers themselves. And when it DOESN"T you'll see so many people bashing it and it's Devs all over the net that no one will want to touch it.
    They've created their own monster. The hype monster of doom will eat this up and spit it out overnight.
    With all the bullshit hype they've built up for this nonsense over the years they've given themselves absolutely no room for any mistakes.
    I don't understand WHY developers have to even announce a game 7 fucken years in advance of it's launch anyway. Why can't they just build the damn game behind closed doors and get to a playable beta stage and THEN announce it and all of it's working features.
    Is that so fucken hard to do?

you always sound like a fool on these forums troll.  so much of what you say is contradicted by information available to the public.  hell, you even contradict yourself with your posts from the past.  pathetic

• rounnerrounner Member UncommonPosts: 725
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79

...Ok back on to my sword skill, I want to skill it up hmm. What should I do? Should I go kill goblins and farm some gold at the same time? Should I go kill animals and skin them so I can work on crafting later if I want? You know what I should take bandages with me so I can keep myself alive and skill up my healing skill as well. I think I am going to go fight animals for there skins, while I get skill ups in swords and healing I can make a bit of cash by selling the hides after I am done...

One way or another some things must be harder to kill than others, otherwise whats the point of progressing? Also, you'd probably want to not just increase your sword skill, but dodge, parry etc. Surely you'd have to fight something around your own level.. err I mean skill level... err I mean... whatever.

• torn51torn51 Member Posts: 79
    Originally posted by TenSpotting

Another point to make --
    They have literally allowed their horrible fanbase to run their marketing campaign for them all of these years. Seriously that's EXACTLY what they've done.
    I even remember very clearly one of the devs, I think it was Tasos, actually TELLING the fans to "spread the word" about the game.
    Mark my words. This game will be a clown circus soon along the lines of DnL. 

horrible fanbase? I dont think so....get a clue, and nothing, I mean nothing could ever be as bad as DnL. I guess we'll see very soon right?

• Cyborg99Cyborg99 Member Posts: 576

I see whats going on here. We got two sides, the fanbois and the trolls.  The fanbois will NEVER admit the game sucks (if it does) because they don't won't admit their wrong. The trolls will NEVER admit the game is good (if it is) because they won't admit their wrong. So we have two sides that don't won't to admit thier wrong. Solution: Stop posting opinions and start posting facts. Yes I know it's a forum and you think your entilted to an opinion but guess what,  noone cares about your opinion so unplug your keyboard if your not going to post facts. Also this whole post is not my opinion, it is a true statement.

Trolls = Hardcore
    Fanbois = Carebears

The only posts I read in threads are my own.

• KhaelSUNKhaelSUN Member Posts: 394

Originally posted by TheHoweller I promised I wouldn't reply.......Someone please punch this kid, please....Right in the throat would be best.

No

Khael[SUN]
    SUN - peekayin since pong
    Webdeveloper on:
    http://www.guildofsun.com
    http://www.bloodmonarchy.com

• EvasiaEvasia Member Posts: 2,827
    Originally posted by Letsinod

I love how people always talk about hype.  Everything is hyped nowdays and not just MMOs.  Also, Darkfall has NOT been hyped except on a few forums by DF fanboys.  Very few people know about a game called Darkfall.

Thats not true its very hyped by darkfall haters and its well known mmo among mmo community.

8days to go, with new batch's of players to be invited into close beta, im counting and waiting in anticipation:)

refresh my email refresh my email refresh my email:P

Games played:AC1-Darktide'99-2000-AC2-Darktide/dawnsong2003-2005,Lineage2-2005-2006 and now Darkfall-2009.....
    In between WoW few months AoC few months and some f2p also all very short few weeks.

• EvasiaEvasia Member Posts: 2,827
    Originally posted by Camthylion

What say ye haters of the great darkfall now   ?

you just asking for flames lol and you got some:P

Games played:AC1-Darktide'99-2000-AC2-Darktide/dawnsong2003-2005,Lineage2-2005-2006 and now Darkfall-2009.....
    In between WoW few months AoC few months and some f2p also all very short few weeks.