Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What does Patriotism mean to you?

Patriotism:

devoted love, support, and defense of one's country; national loyalty.

This is the real definition of the word.  But seeing as the country has become rather divided, I believe a lot of people have lost the real definition and meaning behind the word.  Patriotism has become more of a catch word used in politics rather than something that is real.  Please post what below what patriotism means to you.  Thanks!

Comments

• sephersepher Member Posts: 3,561

The definition of "country" is what's important. Patriotism is divided by territory, but united by the common virtue of us all being citizens of the same nation.

When we find our patriotism in cultural differences and physical division, we get sentiments such as "real America".

When we find our patriotism in believing a stranger met 2,000 miles from home should be treat us with the same neighborliness that the guy across the street treats us with, and vice-versa, that really creates that one nation kind of patriotism. 

It's that what I believe in, but we still suffer xenophobia from within our own country. It's events in American history like this election though that helps curtail it.

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

"Patriotism is the willingness to kill and be killed for trivial reasons."

- Bertrand Russel

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

Patriots imo are people who can only love and care for those within their country, the others are inferior garbage, and don't matter.

Yes I said it to irritate you.

Love the world, not your country :P

• BushMonkeyBushMonkey Member Posts: 1,406
    Originally posted by Wolfenpride

Patriots imo are people who can only love and care for those within their country, the others are inferior garbage, and don't matter.

No.

There can be no fifty-fifty Americanism in this country. There is room here for only 100% Americanism, only for those who are Americans and nothing else.

Theodore Roosevelt

• sup3rsn1p3rsup3rsn1p3r Member Posts: 93
    Originally posted by BushMonkey

No.

There can be no fifty-fifty Americanism in this country. There is room here for only 100% Americanism, only for those who are Americans and nothing else.

Theodore Roosevelt

Yet sadly there are Americans who are fifty-fifty...

• FishermageFishermage Member Posts: 7,562

To me it means loyalty to the constitution, the liberty it stands for, and the people who have it.

• EkibiogamiEkibiogami Member UncommonPosts: 2,154
    Originally posted by sup3rsn1p3r

No.

Theodore Roosevelt

Then they arnt Americans.. their half Americans, Half Lost in the sea of thier own mind.

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    —Samuel Adams

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988
    Originally posted by Ekibiogami

Originally posted by sup3rsn1p3r

No.

Theodore Roosevelt

Then they arnt Americans.. their half Americans, Half Lost in the sea of thier own mind.

ohz noes im unamerican, lord smite me for such a display of evil and selfishness!

lost? we're not lost, we're enlightened! kind of like a junkie! hopefully smarter, and healthier. we can see that truly, their is no spoon.

• devilisciousdeviliscious Member UncommonPosts: 4,359

Patriotism In the United States:

To support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against all enemies, foreign and domestic at all costs.

• BigdavoBigdavo Member UncommonPosts: 1,863
    Originally posted by deviliscious

Patriotism:To support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against all enemies, foreign and domestic at all costs.

I didn't realise the USA invented the word patriotism.

O_o o_O

• devilisciousdeviliscious Member UncommonPosts: 4,359
    Originally posted by Bigdavo

I didn't realise the USA invented the word patriotism.

There! I edited the original post to correct it's PoLiTiCaL correctness