Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If MMORPG was like Fable 2...

That would be great if you ever played Fable 2, the combat system is very fun and the rest you can do is great but I guess a game off that quality would be impossible to make as a MMO.

There are no new MMO coming that has any good quality because nobody try anything new, people need to understand that quality is not better by making them more real life looking.

Cartoonish look or Fable 2 like appeal to many to be great graphics.

But the combat and choice to make your character most unique is important, most important.

But I guess there are no good company that can bring any real good quality game to the MMO spot.

You got Oblivion, Fable 2, both very good singel player & co-op RPG games.

If just any game would bring some of the good quality in both those games and get something of their own in the end, it would be great.

But I think most people in this business think of money and easy ways and what they have.

And again if they focus on engines they focus on graphic engine that is completly wrong.

Comments

• eosyneeosyne Member UncommonPosts: 392

minus all the loading screens

• megafluxmegamegafluxmega Member Posts: 138

this has nothing to do with mmorpgs.

the fable franchise and pete the liar are for sycophants who are not able to form their own ideas (or they wouldnt have solidly bought the hype and BELIEVED the first fable game was great, instead of seeing it as lies on rails) which is a large part of why this industry is starting to come unglued. just because it gets a 9.0 in a magazine does not mean it is a quality game, it means they paid to get something printed (as illustrated by driv3r). in reality its a 4, i cant stop you from pretending its great...but it isnt. why spend all sorts of $ developing an online game that is only going to appeal to final fantasy fanboys, they already HAVE final fantasy.

and for the record fallout 3 nukes it.

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    Originally posted by megafluxmega

this has nothing to do with mmorpgs.
    the fable franchise and pete the liar are for sycophants who are not able to form their own ideas (or they wouldnt have solidly bought the hype and BELIEVED the first fable game was great, instead of seeing it as lies on rails) which is a large part of why this industry is starting to come unglued. just because it gets a 9.0 in a magazine does not mean it is a quality game, it means they paid to get something printed (as illustrated by driv3r). in reality its a 4, i cant stop you from pretending its great...but it isnt. why spend all sorts of $ developing an online game that is only going to appeal to final fantasy fanboys, they already HAVE final fantasy.

Nice accusation you got there, got any evidence to back it up? They sure must have paid a lot of money to let all these folks give it a good review:

www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/927246.asp

Speaking of Fable 2, something like that can't work in an mmorpg.  You can't let such drastic changes be made by one player, that works in a singleplayer rpg, not in an mmorpg in which the world and its content has to be shared by thousands of people.

• Craz_zCraz_z Member Posts: 34

Comparing Fable 2 to modern MMO's is really a lost cause, as they're so different. But for those that dismiss the fable franchise, having played them both, you're dead wrong. Fable was, and still is, refreshingly innovative. It encompasses what an RPG should be in most every way, minus some very linear game-play.

My room-mate and I have beaten Fallout 3 already. It's a great game, but not quite as great as I hoped it to be. It's pretty much oblivion, but with guns. The open-ended atmosphere in the game feels desolate at times, and lacks character. It's almost too dark and gritty to enjoy playing for countless hours on end. But again, comparing Fable 2 to such a game is stupid. Ideologically they're completely different.Even still, an extremely interesting and rewarding game, especially the story and brand development.

Trying to stay on point, I think that MMO's could benefit greatly from adapting some of the concepts that both of these games implemented. Imagine having a familiar in an MMO game similar to the dog in Fable 2, or imagine being able to interact with the world in an MMO as much as in Fallout 3. There's been too much comparitive argument about Oblivion vs. MMO already. Just change the title to Fallout 3 and you've got the same thing. No sense in beating a dead horse.

Both games did well to develop a strong sense of character development, Fable 2 even trying to introduce an emotional attachment to the animal, and moral choice. One thing both games highlighted was a increasingly popular trend in allow the player to feel more responsible, emotionaly, for what occurs in the game. If MMO's were to start using the mentality "develop your character as good or evil" instead of "pick good or evil" the absoption one would feel, could be significantly higher.

"Woah....Wait......Dude, am I driving right now?"

• CactusmanXCactusmanX Member Posts: 2,218

There are some things that translate easily into MMOs, like the leveling system which I thought was well done. The concept of having NPCs react differently to the PC based on what you are wearing and your actions could work too.

Other things like being able to alter the game world do not mesh well with MMOs, many people plus the ability to to drastically alter the world equals a mess.  And you would have trouble doing the combat in a large online enviroment, you know lag.

A Fable type game could work well for a smaller more intimate setting like a NWN type game.

Don't you worry little buddy. You're dealing with a man of honor. However, honor requires a higher percentage of profit

• MarsvinHeroMarsvinHero Member Posts: 15
    Originally posted by megafluxmega

To be honest I think Fallout 3 is rather dark and sad world, would not enjoy playing it.

Elder Scrolls are much more better game from the same developers in my opinion, more happy but still some dark corners...

• sanders01sanders01 Member Posts: 1,357

Fallout 3 is Oblivion in the Fallout universe.. way to step it up right?

Fable 2 atleast added some new aspects to the game, when Fallout took nearly everything from Oblivion, excepts VATs and guns.

Now back on track... if Fable was made an MMO it would fail, for one reason, Peter. He does lie too much and really would overhype it and it would ruin the Fable series' name, when as it stands at the moment is a great franchise.

Currently restarting World of Warcraft :/

• DragonMyth88DragonMyth88 Member UncommonPosts: 245

peter doesnt lie he hold back feetures just like any developer he takes features out and holds it till the next sequal for more $$. I wouldnt be suprised if fable 3 has everything he has promised over the years.

• TenSpottingTenSpotting Member Posts: 367

Fable 2 looks pretty damn good to me..

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

If you had an mmorpg like Fable 2 it would fail in mere days.  It doesn't have enough content, or the lasting appeal element to keep players on it for months.

• SenanSenan Member UncommonPosts: 788

I think most of you are missing the point here... he's saying that certain elements of some of the great offline RPGs (like fabled and Elder scrolls) should be implemented in an mmo, and frankly, I couldn't agree more. Honestly, it's ridiculous that after all of these years, there still doesn't seem to be a stable, real-time combat fantasy mmo (unless I just haven't heard of it). How hard would it be to make an mmo with combat similar to that of Oblivion? It would be a heck of a lot more fun for one thing, and it would also require more skill vs. just simple button mashing.

I'm waiting for the day they make an online Elder Scrolls or something similar. That will most likely be the first day that I ever have any actual fun playing an mmo.

• TenSpottingTenSpotting Member Posts: 367
    Originally posted by alacres

How hard would it be to make an mmo with combat similar to that of Oblivion? It would be a heck of a lot more fun for one thing, and it would also require more skill vs. just simple button mashing.

Well I tell you what... When you would watch your target sling shotting around from latency and lag issues then you probably would think it was a bad idea.

It can't be done in a MMORPG. There's too much lag problems with a system like that online. The closest thing is Planet Side but Planet Side doesn't use per pixel aiming it uses a cone of fire type system that spreads out your shots to help with lag and latency...

• PatchDayPatchDay Member Posts: 1,641

People that think MMOs cant allow players to alter the game world are wrong and lack imagination.

There are several Indy MMOs that allow players to alter the game world in meaningful ways. If Indies can do this on a meager budget- then it can be done on a grander scale.

Beyond UO/EVE, I've never seen a mainstream title allow players to impact the world

• MahloMahlo Member UncommonPosts: 814

I made the mistake of buying Fable 2. Feeble 2 more like. Thankfully I've got Fallout 3 this week which is far more grown up.

• SteelroseSteelrose Member UncommonPosts: 215
    Originally posted by Mahlo

I made the mistake of buying Fable 2. Feeble 2 more like. Thankfully I've got Fallout 3 this week which is far more grown up.

Yeh that's why it was primary released for consoles. F3 is crap like every other RPG released since Arcanum.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180
    Originally posted by Mahlo

See I think this all boils down to a matter of taste. I purchased both Fallout 3 and Fable 2 last week (digital download Fallout on release date, Fable 2 showed up in the mail about a week after release, got here Friday) I played Fallout a bit then Fable, since the Fallout has been getting dusty.

I do like the Fallout setting better and I do enjoy the darker feel to the game, but I think that the game is bland to me by the fault that it stays too true to the setting. The lack of money, supplies, and anything to interact with just doesn't draw me in like I thought it would. The combat is boring to me and I really thought the NPC interactions could use some help.

I don't know, I guess just in my eyes, Fable 2 is much more entertaining, but that doesn't make Fallout bad.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• MunkiMunki Member CommonPosts: 2,128

PM doesn't lie. He just loved to talk about his games in the design phase. People leave out the "might not make it to release part"

He has and always will bring his game into the public eye right away, saying what the game plans to have and explaining all his really creative and interesting ideas.

And yes, several of the ideas he says dont make it into the release version of the game, but if you bother to actually "read" the interviews, he often includes that disclaimer, or will gladly explaint he though process that removed the feature from the game.

For example some people were pissed in Fable 1 about how you couldnt plant trees and watch them grow over the course of the game.

late in development they had to choose between a MUCH better particle engine to make combat look interesting, or growing trees.

They chose the particle effects.

He doesn't lie, hes just far to easy to misquote him and manipulate his image to your liking.

after 6 or so years, I had to change it a little...