Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The one style of MMOG that has never been made before

A completely underwater world.

Can ya dig it?

Comments

• k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048

Then everyone would want to be named Aquaman

• TenSpottingTenSpotting Member Posts: 367

Or merman

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

That would suxx

• PatchDayPatchDay Member Posts: 1,641

I'd play it. I'm thinking EVE but underwater to be brief. Or maybe a game we're all underwater people (like Fathom Comics) trying to keep our waters from getting polluted by mankind.

If anyone ever read Fathom comics by micheal Turner then you might agree that MMO would be off da hook awesome. Everyone would have crazy water powers and could morph into water

Drooling

• RekindleRekindle Member UncommonPosts: 1,206

but how would we breathe???

• paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613

every space game in exsistance uses submarine physics instead of space physics.

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.

• AstropuyoAstropuyo Member RarePosts: 2,178

Agreed, most space games use simple water physics as is.

I don't know how this theme would work. It's a unique idea but unique and mmo's don't work well together.

Besides technically how much different would it be from games that allow avatar flying?

Just a filter and some bubbles+coral?

• pigfistpigfist Member Posts: 53

Daoc: Trials of Atlantis. Well it isn't completely underwater, but lots of time can be spent in the depths of the sea. Thinking about it I kinda miss it. Awesome to see giant whales or octopus swimming overhead and a bit scary. But maybe thats just me. 

Anyway, I like the idea of an underwater world.

• demalusdemalus Member Posts: 401

Undertow Online!!!

I can certainly dig that, lol

(Undertow is an xbox live arcade game they gave out for free a while ago...pretty nice game for XBLA standards)

• StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696
    Originally posted by TenSpotting

A completely underwater world.
    Can ya dig it?
    http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm?loadFeature=1212&bhcp=1

Cheers,
    Jon Wood
    Managing Editor
    MMORPG.com

• PatchDayPatchDay Member Posts: 1,641
    Originally posted by Astropuyo

Agreed, most space games use simple water physics as is.

I don't know how this theme would work. It's a unique idea but unique and mmo's don't work well together.
    Besides technically how much different would it be from games that allow avatar flying?
    Just a filter and some bubbles+coral?

It would be different because like the other guy said you can see organic creatures floating around, caves (very dark caves), and have a conflict between mermaid/mermen and Humans like in Fathom Comics.

In eve all you see is space after space there is really no wonders too see and their is no land mass. In underwater games you can have the ocean floor and natural predators. Like if you get injured nearby sharks may come get ya

• wjrasmussenwjrasmussen Member Posts: 1,493

Playing a game like that would make me feel like a fish out of water.  Err.wait.............Hm......

• rikiliirikilii Member UncommonPosts: 1,084

There's a reason it's never been made before.

• Salio69Salio69 Member CommonPosts: 428

i would if the gms of this game would ban the name seaman?

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Very easy to make an underwater world.All they do is add some water textures to a surface and put in an actor command that gives that zone it's properties.To actually make it look good is not that hard either just some well suited fog effects,hi res textures and some more shiny/wavy properties.

The hard part would be utilizing realistic physics that suit under water play.What i have found from other games that use under water maps ,is that they are usually harder to see[gives headache after a while].You aslo add in the realistic darker feel and again it becomes hard to see,i  would not last in a game like that.I also found that when there is water involved MOST players tend to stay on the normal surfaces,they just don't like the water gravity and effects when playing.

There is a ton of cool things and ideas you could utilize in an underwater world,too bad it would have to look less realistic to make it playable.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ArtaiosArtaios Member UncommonPosts: 550

i name my toon ariel