Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What MMOs desperately need now more than ever!

To run on a single server!  People always have the same first complaint, "Where is everyone?"  Developers need to pick PvE or PvP and just make ONE server so post-WoW MMOs can actually succeed!

--------------------------------
Darkfall: December or vaporware!

Comments

• I'm a pretty firm believer that a mmo needs both pve and pvp to do well (e.g. pve to pvp).  But I agree that one server is a definate plus.  However, I think it's more of a personal opinion than a "need".

• talismen351talismen351 Member Posts: 1,124

What would happen when half a million ppl log onto a new game all in the same newbie areas? Or hundreds of thousands of ppl all competing for the same loots in the same areas?  You would literally have thousands of ppl in dungeons or spawn areas. You wanna wait for hours n hours for your shot at XX mob to gain certain loot or finish a quest? That is even if you could move because of the lag that would prolly happen with so many ppl in one area.

I think for one server, the world would hafta be soo massive and the population spread out so much to avoid those kinda problems. Then your world would feel empty cause everybody is so spread out.

• IchabodCraneIchabodCrane Member Posts: 39
    Originally posted by eldanloco

To run on a single server!  People always have the same first complaint, "Where is everyone?"  Developers need to pick PvE or PvP and just make ONE server so post-WoW MMOs can actually succeed!

and you wrote off Darkfall in your other thread?

You confuse me, kind sir.

Played: Runescape, World of Warcraft, Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning

• chrono73chrono73 Member Posts: 129

Or atleast only have a couple servers as oppose to the gazillions they have now a days. The pop in most games seems so spread these days.

• eldanlocoeldanloco Member Posts: 210
    Originally posted by IchabodCrane

Stop following me stalker! 

--------------------------------
    Darkfall: December or vaporware!

• IchabodCraneIchabodCrane Member Posts: 39

Originally posted by IchabodCrane

Stop following me stalker! 

Well when you have two threads on the front page of the General Forums...you're gonna get some repeat posters.

But you never really responded to what I said.

Played: Runescape, World of Warcraft, Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning

• IhmoteppIhmotepp Member Posts: 14,495

Dark and Light tried this, and it didn't work very well.

Dark and Light is free to play, so if you want to see what it looks like, just download it and log on.

I think if you're going to do this you need to control the player population somehow. Have bridges or mountain passes that dont' open up until a certain population is reached, place starting players in different areas if one area is overcrowded and so on.

Otherwise you get what Dark and Light did, players running all over a big empty world, wondering where everyone is.

• TenSpottingTenSpotting Member Posts: 367

A server can hold about 3-4k players before getting lagged out... unless it's like some kind of special monster server..

• TenSpottingTenSpotting Member Posts: 367
    Originally posted by Ihmotepp

Dark and Light tried this, and it didn't work very well.
     Dark and Light is free to play, so if you want to see what it looks like, just download it and log on.
    I think if you're going to do this you need to control the player population somehow. Have bridges or mountain passes that dont' open up until a certain population is reached, place starting players in different areas if one area is overcrowded and so on.
    Otherwise you get what Dark and Light did, players running all over a big empty world, wondering where everyone is.

Why is Dark and Light even listed here?  They were/are 100% fucken scammers. They literally did SoG pioneer bullshit pre orders just to trick people into ordering.. and basically said that the REAL game was different..

• VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501

you either have a EVE-like system with thousands of system with same content spread over a whole galaxy or this is simply not possible for all the reason listed by the other people.

It is quite simple, with current technology, if you get more than 200 people in same area (and even that if you are lucky), the server is gonna go kaboom!

When is this gonna change? No idea. eventually I guess.

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

• x_rast_xx_rast_x Member Posts: 745
    Originally posted by Volkmar

you either have a EVE-like system with thousands of system with same content spread over a whole galaxy or this is simply not possible for all the reason listed by the other people.

It is quite simple, with current technology, if you get more than 200 people in same area (and even that if you are lucky), the server is gonna go kaboom!

When is this gonna change? No idea. eventually I guess.

What he said.  Eve has the single-server model, but every system is pretty much the same and the game mechanics encourage people to spread out.

Even so, in systems where people tend to pile up (mostly market/mission hubs, or huge (100s on each side) fleet fights for control of a player-controllable system or valuable moon) the lag monster rears its ugly head.  Not nearly as bad as it used to be but the lag issues still crop up, and probably always will.

I can't see how a 'traditional' MMO could scale as well, since life-size space is huge and most fantasy environment aren't.  One thing I always though would be neat though is to have every server basically be an instance of the game world, and you could go someplace special (perhaps a portal nexus in a major city or something) and zone your character onto a different server.  Would provide a lot of the one-big-server advantages without having to make your game 99.9999% empty space to accomadate all of them.