Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EA just digs their grave deeper

OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Suggestion, don't post on EA forums.  Good thing that Mythic does not have War forums, I can just imagine the screams getting banned on a Spore forum and finding out you are also banned on War lol.

http://forums.ea.com/mboards/thread.jspa?threadID=449687&tstart=0&start=0

This is why I refuse to buy any EA games anymore, between their horrid DRM and attitudes like this, it is a wonder they are still in business.  Hopefully a lot more people will start ignoring their games too.

Comments

• CamthylionCamthylion Member UncommonPosts: 220

EA owns some of the best selling console/pc games they also own THE best selling pc game title of all time The Sims... I doubt they are digging there self into a grave I also doubt people can refuse buying there titles tons of people are awaiting the sims 3 in feb.  they will make tons off of that title.

EA owns could probably careles what most people think of them they are one of the top gaming companies we tons of $$ I dont see them going anywere anytime soon.

• John.A.ZoidJohn.A.Zoid Member Posts: 1,531

People are making a much bigger deal outta this then needed. It's one mistake EA will sort out and tbh if you're a dick on forums then you ain't innocent anyways.

• TeimanTeiman Member Posts: 1,319

EA is doing the Atari  thing 

• BlodplsBlodpls Member Posts: 1,454
    Originally posted by Camthylion

EA owns some of the best selling console/pc games they also own THE best selling pc game title of all time The Sims... I doubt they are digging there self into a grave I also doubt people can refuse buying there titles tons of people are awaiting the sims 3 in feb.  they will make tons off of that title.

EA owns could probably careles what most people think of them they are one of the top gaming companies we tons of $$ I dont see them going anywere anytime soon.

EA is not a profitable company.

They haven't made a profit for the last 7 quarters.

Last reported quarter they lost $310 million.

They may have some big titles but their games suck and they don't make any money.

www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/stories/2008/10/27/daily80.html

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Blodpls

Originally posted by Camthylion

EA is not a profitable company.

They have haven't made a profit for the last 7 quarters.

Last reported quarter they lost $310 million.

They may have some big titles but their games suck and they don't make any money.

www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/stories/2008/10/27/daily80.html

The $310M figure is not representative because there are one time items. And I quote:

"Excluding items, the company's loss would have been $20 million, compared with non-GAAP income of $87 million a year ago."

$20M loss is more reasonable. I am not defending EA as a good company. I am just pointing out we need to be fair in reading of some of these numbers.

• susanto1228susanto1228 Member Posts: 203

I like this one "EA...just quit shooting yourself in your foot, and put the gun in your mouth, It's much faster"

• spinach8puffspinach8puff Member CommonPosts: 864

I am in favor of their new policy and yeah I will be buying The Sims 3 when it comes out.

• declaredemerdeclaredemer Member Posts: 2,698

I do not purchase any EA products nor affiliated products.

If EA touches it, I do not want it.

Every time EA produces a title, acquires a company, or implements a policy such as DRM, we move another step closer to the total destruction of the industry.

• PatchDayPatchDay Member Posts: 1,641

The EA haters are a joke too me. It's just business, cold hard $$$

Who you should be mad at is the maker of the current MMO you play- they are the ones ripping you off, Making you grind for hours and hours for virtual items and XP haha. The only people that should probably hate EA are old UO vets and WAR fans.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

Suggestion, don't post on EA forums.  Good thing that Mythic does not have War forums, I can just imagine the screams getting banned on a Spore forum and finding out you are also banned on War lol.
    http://forums.ea.com/mboards/thread.jspa?threadID=449687&tstart=0&start=0
    This is why I refuse to buy any EA games anymore, between their horrid DRM and attitudes like this, it is a wonder they are still in business.  Hopefully a lot more people will start ignoring their games too.

Very good policy, I wish it would become the norm for internet overall. And glad that some people will refuse things from EA due to it, only shows the type of people they are who refuse things from EA and it's nothing to do with EA as a company but has everything to do HOW people seem to think they can act towards such company.

Posted by EA Apoc (C&C)

Well, its actually going to be a bit nastier for those who get banned.

Your forum account will be directly tied to your Master EA Account, so if we ban you on the forums, you would be banned from the game as well since the login process is the same. And you'd actually be banned from your other EA games as well since its all tied to your account. So if you have SPORE and Red Alert 3 and you get yourself banned on our forums or in-game, well, your SPORE account would be banned to. It's all one in the same, so I strongly reccommend people play nice and act mature.

All in all, we expect people to come on here and abide by our ToS. We hate banning people, it makes our lives a lot tougher, but its what we have to do.

Those banned will stay banned, but like most other internet services, its not that hard to create a new fake e-mail account. However, its a lot harder to get a new serial key =)

Avatars should be back within 2 weeks of the launch.

-APOC

Big SALUTE APOC 

• Jefferson81Jefferson81 Member Posts: 730

I remember back in the day when they were called Electronic Arts but I guess that they are not attempting to make any of that anymore and instead they are just content with making the software equivalent of canned food.

• TenSpottingTenSpotting Member Posts: 367
    Originally posted by Reklaw

Posted by EA Apoc (C&C)

Your forum account will be directly tied to your Master EA Account, so if we ban you on the forums, you would be banned from the game as well since the login process is the same.

That's the same as how Blizzard does it isn't it?

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    Originally posted by TenSpotting

Originally posted by Reklaw

Posted by EA Apoc (C&C)

Your forum account will be directly tied to your Master EA Account, so if we ban you on the forums, you would be banned from the game as well since the login process is the same.

That's the same as how Blizzard does it isn't it?

Blizzard only "bans" the ability to post on the forums, should you break a rule on the forum. However, should your playing account be banned (by using a 3rd party hack program, for example), that would also include the forum.

• So you are mad because they might ban you because you acted like an idiot and posted stuff that should not have been posted? So hmm how about you act like an adult and don't worry about it?

This used to be called acountability.

• VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501

A big applause to EA! Now let's hope they actually enforce it and everything will be better.

And for all the ones that are whining about this rule, well, then go to any restaurant or pub in town, make an ass of yourself so much they throw you out then try to ask if you can get your food/beer with you and see what their answer is gonna be.

It is due time that people start to realize the internet is not the trash pile of the world and common rules of politeness and behaviour SHOULD apply here as well.

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I personally don't like EA, they are forcing their developers to release a lot of boring sequels like all that junk for the Sims... Games shouldn't be thrown out as fast as possible and a sequel to a game that's a few years old with basicly just updated graphics isn't really good enough, I want new games.

EA do makessome good games still but I prefer if they are publishing as few MMOs as possible, I'm sure it is their fault that WAR was released so early with not enough content.

Off course Blizzard have been almost as bad lately, releasing Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2 instead of at least one new game smells greed to me, they can make really good games but aiming for recycling instead. One sequel is cool enough but 2 at almost the same time?

The gameing industry need new and innovative games and EA isn't going to bring us thoose.

There was a time a long while ago when I always got happy when I bought a game with Electronic arts on it, they were really good. Now they got to big and the games ain't as fun to play anymore as when they made Amiga games.

• aretinaaretina Member UncommonPosts: 104
    Originally posted by PatchDay

The EA haters are a joke too me. It's just business, cold hard $$$

Who you should be mad at is the maker of the current MMO you play- they are the ones ripping you off, Making you grind for hours and hours for virtual items and XP haha. The only people that should probably hate EA are old UO vets and WAR fans.

Haters or not , players define market if enough players on market boycot XXX company games they will fall aprat sooner or later.

• x_rast_xx_rast_x Member Posts: 745

Interesting.  I had no idea EA was doing so poorly.

I quit buying anything and everything EA after having one rather poor experience with SecureROM - seems I'm not the only one, though of course there's more too it than that.

As for the MMO genre, I see a bright and happy future of a genre dominated mostly by 10+ year old games.  Nothing really wrong with that though - update the graphics every few years and keep churning out fresh content and a good MMO can go for a long, long time.  They seem to have a life cycle more akin to traditional pen and paper games than video games.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Well maybe the board of EA will wake up and clean out the clueless executives running this sinking ship.  they just posted earnings yesterday, not good:

http://www.foxbusiness.com/story/markets/industries/media/electronic-arts-plans-trim-workforce-lowers-forecast/

When the analysts start downgrading their stock, things will change hopefully.

• TrashcantoyTrashcantoy Member Posts: 827

i boycot EA since their disaster game C&C Kanes Wrath thats still a broken game, multiplayer is nearly impossible to play since most games desync, and not one patch fixed them.. instead we got a ridiculous balancing patch which also borked the economics, i threw my RA3 beta key away and never looked back, i hate EA.

but.. i like their new banning policy. im all for zero tolerance, finally u can stop being a prick on forums cause u will get banned on all EA games (no matter how crappy they are)

MMOs currently playing: -
    About to play: Lord of the Rings Online
    Played: Anarchy Online (alltime favorite) and lots of f2p titles (honorable mentions: 9Dragons, Martial Heroes, Dekaron, Atlantica Online)

• Jefferson81Jefferson81 Member Posts: 730
    Originally posted by 3on1

i boycot EA since their disaster game C&C Kanes Wrath thats still a broken game, multiplayer is nearly impossible to play since most games desync, and not one patch fixed them.. instead we got a ridiculous balancing patch which also borked the economics, i threw my RA3 beta key away and never looked back, i hate EA.
    but.. i like their new banning policy. im all for zero tolerance, finally u can stop being a prick on forums cause u will get banned on all EA games (no matter how crappy they are)

Or you can't go to the forums and inform people about how bad the games really are because you will get banned in a heartbeat.

Never thought about that did you?

• PatchDayPatchDay Member Posts: 1,641
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

Well maybe the board of EA will wake up and clean out the clueless executives running this sinking ship.  they just posted earnings yesterday, not good:
    http://www.foxbusiness.com/story/markets/industries/media/electronic-arts-plans-trim-workforce-lowers-forecast/
    When the analysts start downgrading their stock, things will change hopefully.

EA is a game company you know. Christmas is when game companies rake in mad cash. Layoffs is really, really normal in entertainment industry as well. If EA never released a press release you probably wouldn't have known about the layoffs because game companies regularly cleanout non-essential staff as they transition into new titles.

Not saying I like the practice, but it's what everyone does.

• GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

Well - for those that follow the links...

The original statement was retracted here

EA Apoc (C&C)

Regarding My Statement on Forum Bans

Posted:Oct 31, 2008 3:08 AM

Hey everyone,

If you didn't notice, your C&C Community Manager, me, had a bit of a run-in with the video game blogging media today in reference to a direct quote I made on our forums here a few days ago in regards to how we handle bans and suspensions on the forums and in-game. You all know how we are greatly trying to protect and serve you from those who wish to disrupt our C&C community by breaking ToS on our forums or in-game, and I know everyone appreciates when we take action on those that are the worst.

That said, the previous statement I made recently (that's being quoted on the blogs) was inaccurate and a mistake on my part. I had a misunderstanding with regards to our new upcoming forums and website and never meant to infer that if we ban or suspend you on the forums, you would be banned in-game as well. This is not correct, my mistake, my bad.

If we suspend or ban you from the forums, that does not affect your in-game account and certainly it does not impact your in-game account for other games. Quite often we usually warn you before taking any type of action, suspend you before considering any type of ban, etc. I am sure you guys know that we are fairly tolerant and stress that you please show respect to others, but we also understand the forums are a place to be heard and express your opinion in a constructive manner. Everyone has their "flame" moments.

Your Posting in our official C&C EA Forums is enabled by an EA Nucleus account (the Master EA Account you typically login with to chose your Persona) -- but access to the forums and access to the games are separate. Players who have been banned from EA Forums are not automatically banned from online access to their other EA games, or the game associated with that particular forum. Players can be warned, suspended, and/or then banned if they breach the Terms of Service or Code of Conduct in a forum, game or service. Each forum, game and service is managed independently by our customer support representatives responsible for that specific forum, game or service.

Suffice to say, when we take action on someone on our C&C forums here, for any number of ToS breaking reasons, it does not impact your C&C game account or any other EA Game Account connected to your forum name. The mods here do a great job of alerting me when we need to warn someone or take further action, if I haven't seen it myself or heard it in a thread from one of you, but any action we take on a C&C Forum User, doesn't impact their in-game status.

I apologize for the misunderstanding, but I hope everyone is able to see the greater good intent in that we are simply trying to keep the forums and in-game as friendly and fun environments as possible, just know that those two environments are treated seperately by myself, the mods, and especially our Customer Support team. =)

Sincerely,

APOC

*hopefully i'll have better historical memorable moments as your C&C Community Manager than this one =) *

That said - the original statement should never have been made.

The usual happened too - some users appeared to point out that the EULA is not "law" and is a dodgy piece of contract at best (being classed as a 'ticket case' in many countries).

The Fanbois showed up to say the predictable 'But it IS 100% BINDING!  STFU and go back to WoW!'  type crap.

Pity EA backed down actually - we need a few EULA test cases...

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Case law has already pretty much made many provisions of Eula's non binding.  Anyone saying it is 100% binding is clueless when it comes to contracts and the law.   Consumer protection laws for one override many Eula provisions.

That said, I am glad they corrected themselves on such an absurd policy, although I still intend to boycott EA games.  Even SOE is head and shoulders above EA when it comes to how they treat their customers.

• Craz_zCraz_z Member Posts: 34

I remember doing a ratio on EA's financials Q1 FY08. Needless to say I anticipate EA's earnings to rapidly decline, which they have,  and I imagine they're probably going to restructure by concentrating on their core titles, and cutting back on some of the cookie cutter games they release.

Any business that merely assumes because you're releasing a product from a somewhat reputable company, that the game is going to be profitable, is wrong.

I'd say EA will heavily concentrate it's efforts to restructure and strengthen the brands of The Sims, EA Sports titles like Madden, and games like Need for Speed. The driving factor is always quality over quantity.

EA is pissing on a lot of fires right now instead of looking at things on a more macro level. This is allowing smaller boutique gaming companies to really sweep in capitalize on a market strife with stale games. 

"Woah....Wait......Dude, am I driving right now?"