Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Serious exploit in last patch

chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453

I have been busy tonight testing out the latest patch and it seems all good from what I can tell.  However I just came across a serious exploit which I have just reported to [email protected]

Scenario:

3 x level 80 SCUM players were blocking the entrance to the noble district so you could neither enter or leave.  That in itself sucks but it is not an exploit.  We managed to get a group together and take down the culprits with great satisfaction.  As we headed back up to where the first bridge is with all the guards we were attacked by a level 55 SCUM player and when we defended ourselves the guards attacked killing two of us.  The level 55 remained untouched.  When we tried to run back to the group the same level 55 attacked again and even though he was standing in the group of guards he was allowed to attack any high level player and not have any penalties.  We couldnt cross the bridge because he could easily kill one of us and if we lifted a finger against him the guards would kill us on sight.  

I know the PvP patch came in to stop high level players ganking low level players but if it remains like this its feasible for a small group of level 40-50 players literally blocking level 70-80 players and able to KOS with zero penalty.  Once people catch on to this exploit its going to cause a ton of low level players to gank as much as possible for the PvP experience.  I hope they change this in the next couple of days because tonight the noble district was basically left unplayable.  It was strange to see a raid group consisting of 10 x  level 70-80 players blocked on one side of the bridge by one level 55 player.  We all warped out or logged off.  So its really affecting the game as it stands.  

The rule should be that any player at any level attacking another will incur the same penalty regardless.  Otherwise what is stopping a level 70 kill level 80's and having the protection of 10 guards?  Nothing.  

If you see this exploit please send in a mail.

Thanks

Comments

• orzoorzo Member Posts: 269
    Originally posted by chryses

I have been busy tonight testing out the latest patch and it seems all good from what I can tell.  However I just came across a serious exploit which I have just reported to [email protected]
    Scenario:
    3 x level 80 SCUM players were blocking the entrance to the noble district so you could neither enter or leave.  That in itself sucks but it is not an exploit.  We managed to get a group together and take down the culprits with great satisfaction.  As we headed back up to where the first bridge is with all the guards we were attacked by a level 55 SCUM player and when we defended ourselves the guards attacked killing two of us.  The level 55 remained untouched.  When we tried to run back to the group the same level 55 attacked again and even though he was standing in the group of guards he was allowed to attack any high level player and not have any penalties.  We couldnt cross the bridge because he could easily kill one of us and if we lifted a finger against him the guards would kill us on sight.  
    I know the PvP patch came in to stop high level players ganking low level players but if it remains like this its feasible for a small group of level 40-50 players literally blocking level 70-80 players and able to KOS with zero penalty.  Once people catch on to this exploit its going to cause a ton of low level players to gank as much as possible for the PvP experience.  I hope they change this in the next couple of days because tonight the noble district was basically left unplayable.  It was strange to see a raid group consisting of 10 x  level 70-80 players blocked on one side of the bridge by one level 55 player.  We all warped out or logged off.  So its really affecting the game as it stands.  
    The rule should be that any player at any level attacking another will incur the same penalty regardless.  Otherwise what is stopping a level 70 kill level 80's and having the protection of 10 guards?  Nothing.  
    Thanks

I just posted a paste from the AOC forums - its about 4 posts below this one.

Some people are like slinkies, they dont really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Did they remove the aggro from guards for attacking people, like they used to do? Before it didn't matter what level you were if you were the aggressor you would get attacked by the guards.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by Malickie

Did they remove the aggro from guards for attacking people, like they used to do? Before it didn't matter what level you were if you were the aggressor you would get attacked by the guards.

Yea it appears that only the high levels attacking afterbeing attacked are targeted by the guards and the guards are hitting for 2 to 4k easily.

Some people are like slinkies, they dont really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

• chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453

If they removed the aggro for the lowest level player that is really daft.  I might as well grab my new level 30 assassin, hide in front of the guards and hit every level 40-50 that walks by because its a 100% gimmie.  If they dont change this then the game has a major issue as I cant see how I could keep playing knowing that I can get ganked by a player 20-30 levels lower and I have no choice but to run or take it.

If they removed the aggro for the lowest level player that is really daft.  I might as well grab my new level 30 assassin, hide in front of the guards and hit every level 40-50 that walks by because its a 100% gimmie.  If they dont change this then the game has a major issue as I cant see how I could keep playing knowing that I can get ganked by a player 20-30 levels lower and I have no choice but to run or take it.

Yea and did I mention that the murderer redeemer quest guys are borked? You cant do the quests that reduce murder points!

Originally posted by orzo

Yea and did I mention that the murderer redeemer quest guys are borked? You cant do the quests that reduce murder points!

Not sure about this one yet seems they're trying to confirm it as well, they have a sticky now. Their explanation so far is that you need to be in a level appropriate area to use the redeemer npc. I'll check again to see if the status has changed.

Not sure about this one yet seems they're trying to confirm it as well, they have a sticky now. Their explanation so far is that you need to be in a level appropriate area to use the redeemer npc. I'll check again to see if the status has changed.

Well if thats the case great... but still irritating to have this overlooked during testing... no?

Well if thats the case great... but still irritating to have this overlooked during testing... no?

Definitely, though most on test are 80, most of these things wouldn't even be seen because of that.

The sticky has been removed from the thread, hmm.

Definitely, though most on test are 80, most of these things wouldn't even be seen because of that.

Yea.. I suppose expecting them to do any internal testing was folly. :( So much for WHEN ITS READY.. eh?

Just replied with the same answer in a similar post... The issue with levels is that a lot of zones are used by all leves.  e.g. noble district is used by level 40-80.  What about players riding through the Wild lands?  These are low level areas but still doesnt stop a player attacking a player 20 levels above them and then laughing when the guards rush in and kill the high level player for defending themselves. 

This isn't a nice to have, its essential they sort this asap

Just replied with the same answer in a similar post... The issue with levels is that a lot of zones are used by all leves.  e.g. noble district is used by level 40-80.  What about players riding through the Wild lands?  These are low level areas but still doesnt stop a player attacking a player 20 levels above them and then laughing when the guards rush in and kill the high level player for defending themselves. 
    This isn't a nice to have, its essential they sort this asap

I agree if it's not fixed by the weekend, when I will be able to try it out, this will be third and final cancel.

• Hamrtime2Hamrtime2 Member Posts: 360

Does this stuff actually suprise you guys? Remember, this is Funcom were talkin about.

• S1GNALS1GNAL Member Posts: 366

Thats how the poor community is like in AoC. High level nubs that have to fight lower levels. I guess they have to feel like scumbags after doing such things...ohh wait, no they dont, they are simply nubs. Age of Nubfeast.

• ElethonElethon Member UncommonPosts: 138

Maybe I'm just a little daft, but couldn't you simply use the "crouch" ability to walk through those level 80 players.

For the level 55 scum bag, that would have made me quit the game.

• gantonganton Member UncommonPosts: 304

As far as getting past the 80's goes you can use the "crouch" ability to walk through them. The problem you had with the lower lvl is a known bug right now, a Dev already acknowledged this today and their working on a fix for this atm.

• TransporterTransporter Member Posts: 245

Scenario:
    Thanks

You have to explain why you are not using croach to walk past them???  That's what croach is supposed to be used for. The lowlevel thing is not supposed to be like that. they are working on fix.

Originally posted by Transporter

Scenario:
    Thanks

You have to explain why you are not using croach to walk past them???  That's what croach is supposed to be used for. The lowlevel thing is not supposed to be like that. they are working on fix.

Sorry I think you misunderstood me.  They are not physically blocking the path they attack you so that you either have to take them snaring you and then killing you and all you can do is try and heal yourself.  If you try and defend yourself the NPC guards will KOS you and not the lower level player.  So basically they can attack for free and be protected by the guards at the same time.  So you can see how that would really annoy the hell out of a person who is 10-15 levels higher and having no option except to asura (warp) out of the place.

*edit* as for the 3x level 80 scum players blocking the exit, that is unguarded so they basically gank anyone that comes through.  As I mentioned this is allowed but we actually dealt with them fairly...even though we all got murder ratings for it.  It would be great if they adopted an EVE type rule.  If a player attacks you and kills you then you can have 15 minutes of free attacks on them.  Otherwise we all become murderers and we are just defending ourselves

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

Funcom borked a patch and a$$heads are exploiting it. That's almost as big of a news item as the sun rising in the east. OK so that's a bit hard, but darn it they seem to be having one heck of a time with even getting the basic game mechanics right. Not that getting open PvP right is easy but if this was the main game design they wanted, they had plenty of time before the game was ever released to think through some of this crap. Now even afer it has went pay to play they still cannot get it right.

I miss DAoC

• SaintNouvelSaintNouvel Member Posts: 2

But I have tested this scenario.

What happens is... A level 55 stands among guards and attacks you (level 80) and two of your friends (level 80). Guards will attack him and kill him if you are innocent.

Level 55 attacks you and you attack him back. You will not get killed by the guards because he attacked you first. However, if your friends decides to help you, they will be flagged as criminals and will be killed by the guards. The level 55 should still be killed by the guards regardless of this though.

At least that is what happened when we tried to recreate the scenario.

So.

What I think should happen is that if you guys are grouped, you should all be able to fight the level 55 without being attacked by guards or being flagged as criminals.

If you are not grouped, you should be flagged as criminals if you decide to help out your friend. I imagine this will be fixed to work like this in the next patch.

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582
    Originally posted by SaintNouvel

But I have tested this scenario.
    What happens is... A level 55 stands among guards and attacks you (level 80) and two of your friends (level 80). Guards will attack him and kill him if you are innocent.
    Level 55 attacks you and you attack him back. You will not get killed by the guards because he attacked you first. However, if your friends decides to help you, they will be flagged as criminals and will be killed by the guards. The level 55 should still be killed by the guards regardless of this though.
    At least that is what happened when we tried to recreate the scenario.
    So.
    What I think should happen is that if you guys are grouped, you should all be able to fight the level 55 without being attacked by guards or being flagged as criminals.
    If you are not grouped, you should be flagged as criminals if you decide to help out your friend. I imagine this will be fixed to work like this in the next patch.

Wait... so basically your group shouldn't help you?   What the heck happens if one group meets another group and they have a skirmish.. it seems like it will be chaos trying to avoid getting murder counts even if you are in the group that was attacked.   The way it should work is that if anyone in YOUR group gets attacked, then anyone in THIER group should be fair game.

I can't believe it took them this long to add this system and it still not add the basic features ALREADY in other games.  It's stupid to reinvent the wheel, only to have the wheel you create be worse than the one already on the market.   They should take the Blizzard approach and look at all the PVP systems that are already on the market, pick the one they think is best, and improve upon it.  To me, it feels like the aoc devs are trying to create something from the ground up and are just making a ton of mistakes that other games already fixed.

• SaintNouvelSaintNouvel Member Posts: 2

I agree with that. Hopefully this can be tweaked rather quickly and patched out to us all :)

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615
    Originally posted by Elethon

Maybe I'm just a little daft, but couldn't you simply use the "crouch" ability to walk through those level 80 players.
    For the level 55 scum bag, that would have made me quit the game.

Yep.  Forcing them to attack you, and negating the adding of muder points.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me