Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I want a PVP game not an RVR game

Discuss

Comments

• neodavieneodavie Member Posts: 278
    Originally posted by greydor

Discuss

First make a point.

But to entertain this weak argument you're making RvR is Mythic's word for PvP. So yeah, you failed.

Originally posted by GTwander:

How are you an MMO? Or any of us for that matter?

I say we strike all users from the site for not being MMOs.

• paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613

What do you propose the driving force be?

If you wanted a killing for the sake of killing game there are dozens of overly popularized shooters to draw from.

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.

• PatchDayPatchDay Member Posts: 1,641

What sucks about RvR the Classes are unbalanced. True PVP game will make same classes available to both sides.

This is the key to Class Based FPS. Same class choices are available to both sides of the fence. Now in RTS you might be able to choose different races (like Starcraft) however the key is that pvpers can choose the race they like the best. And if the game is unbalanced people will only pick the same race

However, RvR removes the freedom for pvpers to optimize. Thus, you see population imbalances

True PVP games (like Guild wars, UO, EVE, etc) allow Guilds to cherry pick their favorite Classes and bring them to a fight

• greydorgreydor Member Posts: 153

I would take mostl the things Blizzard discouarages about World PVP and encouarage it

make small villages that are captable (Tarren Mill / Southshore battles) 

while i wouldn't want full corpse looting (some looting would be nice) all gear would be crafted from materials in game and gear would  wear out over time

as to WAR i was told by the DAoC guys that PVP is different then RVR and find I don't think I like RVR

keeps and castles were never built as a place to live they were built to protect peasants that gathered resources for the Castle Baron

just that i enjoy some of the PVP in WOW (BG's suck) but the more i played WAR the less interested i became in RVR

• altairzqaltairzq Member Posts: 3,811

I don't want a PVP or a RVR or a PVE game.

I want a WORLD.

If we have a WORLD, then everything comes out naturally, PVE, PVP, RVR..., you name it.

It's like when developing a virtual car. You can squeeze your brain adding rules and rules and rules, telling how the suspension should react, and the frame, the wheels...

Or...

You can develope PHYSICS and the car will react naturally to every input (I know it's very complex, just an example).

• banthisbanthis Member Posts: 1,891
    Originally posted by PatchDay

What sucks about RvR the Classes are unbalanced. True PVP game will make same classes available to both sides.
    This is the key to Class Based FPS. Same class choices are available to both sides of the fence. Now in RTS you might be able to choose different races (like Starcraft) however the key is that pvpers can choose the race they like the best. And if the game is unbalanced people will only pick the same race

However, RvR removes the freedom for pvpers to optimize. Thus, you see population imbalances

True PVP games (like Guild wars, UO, EVE, etc) allow Guilds to cherry pick their favorite Classes and bring them to a fight

Thus Creating Elitism amongst the players and limiting what choices players can make if they wish to be accepted as part of the community and get to participate for anyone outside of the community attempting to join in the fray they're simply ignored or ganged upon and forced out of the game.    Its a sad fact that anyone joining games where the players choose the sides and the factions and make it up as they go that anyone that wasn't there at creation or coming along with a guild is effectively left out.

RvR does not remove freedom, it does how oever provide a story & background and a more structured fight instead of chaotic mayhem where only the elite that come with guilds of hundreds get to enjoy the game.

Some people have the time to hardcore dedicate themselves to games that require more work like UO and Eve and others don't.   I get tired of everyone boo hooing over this issue the games exist go play them.

• neodavieneodavie Member Posts: 278
    Originally posted by altairzq

I want a WORLD.
    If we have a WORLD, then everything comes out naturally, PVE, PVP, RVR..., you name it.

It's like when developing a virtual car. You can squeeze your brain adding rules and rules and rules, telling how the suspension should react, and the frame, the wheels...
    Or...
    You can develope PHYSICS and the car will react naturally to every input (I know it's very complex, just an example).

You want a dream, you want the perfect game. I would suggest to get the game you personally want you'd need to make it.

Originally posted by GTwander:

How are you an MMO? Or any of us for that matter?

I say we strike all users from the site for not being MMOs.

Originally posted by banthis

Thus Creating Elitism amongst the players and limiting what choices players can make if they wish to be accepted as part of the community and get to participate for anyone outside of the community attempting to join in the fray they're simply ignored or ganged upon and forced out of the game.    Its a sad fact that anyone joining games where the players choose the sides and the factions and make it up as they go that anyone that wasn't there at creation or coming along with a guild is effectively left out.

RvR does not remove freedom, it does how oever provide a story & background and a more structured fight instead of chaotic mayhem where only the elite that come with guilds of hundreds get to enjoy the game.

You never played Guild Wars have you? 

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

Play lineage 2.. it's pvp and it works fine..

• wjrasmussenwjrasmussen Member Posts: 1,493

Why did you put the word true before pvp?  Be honest about the answer.

Originally posted by wjrasmussen

Why did you put the word true before pvp?  Be honest about the answer.

???

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Originally posted by altairzq

I want a WORLD.

That's it.

That's what MMORPGs should be about.

Unfortunately as lately developers are making multiplayer games and pass it as MMORPGs.

With no community and no virtual world, no wonder they keep failing.

Let's see when they finally get it.

• TruthstarTruthstar Member Posts: 37

Check out Aces High 2. One of the best, persistent gaming worlds out there.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,855

In faction based PvP games like Mythic's RvR system you segregate the player base.

This segregation will inevitably lead to population imbalance.

Population imbalance will lead to one side having an unfair advantage over the other side(s).

The unfair advantage will lead to people on the short side becoming frustrated and angry and eventually leaving the game.

RvR based PvP can only truly work when the population is tightly controlled to ensure that it remains balanced. The only problem involved with that is some people being unable to role the faction they want on the server they want. However, that problem pales in comparison to the slippery slope outlined above.