Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to know why Dev's make WoW clones?

http://www.mmogchart.com/Chart1.html

I would make a WoW clone too if I was trying to bring in bank

Comments

• donjndonjn Member UncommonPosts: 816

Oh really? Gosh, I didn't know that.

• AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448
    Originally posted by Vrami

I wouldn't, and your chart proves why you shouldn't. Tell me, how many of the WoW clones have achieved even a tiny fraction of what they are after by cloning WoW? Exactly.

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Congratz you won the prize for most obvious thing to say................

Surely they don't want to copy because of WoW originality, since WoW copied by any other game on the market.........

• ThenariusThenarius Member Posts: 1,106

Only WoW will be a succesful WoW clone.

Money should come over time, from innovative ideas(and if someone gets a good idea off, then believe me, it will be played), not from launch then forget about the game like most companies these days do.

• neonwireneonwire Member Posts: 1,787

So your saying that devs make games like WoW because its really successful?

.....and you have a graph to prove it too!

Oh my god! Thats incredible! Do you have any more amazing insights to share with us?

• talismen351talismen351 Member Posts: 1,124

My question is why are you using a chart that lists a majority of games that have been out since before WoW. By your standards games that are out before WoW count as WoW clones too? Most of the games listed in the chart are games that were older when WoW came out and dropping off in subs before release of WoW.

I do agree with previous poster that stated  copying WoW is a bad idea. No games that have copied WoW have come close to hurting WoW or even close to it's subs. Most IMO have done miserably. 

If I enjoyed WoW, I would continue to play it rather than play a clone. Why bother starting a clone game when WoW is done n pretty much polished. Personally I look forward to the game that breaks the WoW clone mode.

• PuffahPuffah Member Posts: 31

Thank you captain obvious. This is why Blizzard created a Everquest clone, to make money

• susanto1228susanto1228 Member Posts: 203

Good Find and in reality to EA that's all they really see green, and they will use WAR to maximize profits till they have to close down the game, why do you think the game was released early?  You think Mythic wanted to release an unfinished game? hell no, but they had no choice, EA calls the shots.  Releasing War right before WOW's exp made perfect sense, maximize your profits for 3 months before WOTLK comes out so atleast you can cut your losses later if the game doesn't work out, which right now It isn't looking too good. 

Those numbers must look really appealing to EA and its shareholders, it's no wonder WAR looks like a 100% wow clone too bad it will never have it's numbers.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

These "clone" threads are getting old....ssshh.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• VramiVrami Member Posts: 33

I love how seriously you all took my post. Just goes to show the hostility in the MMO market these days lol

• ebonfireebonfire Member UncommonPosts: 160

Because you're person number 123004395 to use the term WoW Clone in a manner that might suggest you have some kind of hidden insight on the way the world turns, and I think everyone on these forums are waiting around for something original.. which probably will never happen.  They get angry when it doesn't :p

• paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613

You should be using your 1337 market analysis skills where you're getting paid.

Opening posts need more content...

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

I think devs do it because they like wasting $50 million.

• rafmeisterrafmeister Member Posts: 69

All the developers seem to have come down with a severe case of munchkinism.

• SirLornSirLorn Member UncommonPosts: 212

Ty Talisman351 for a very good point, regardless of the OPs reply about how everyone took this all serious like......at least show a graph comparing WoW with actual "WoW clones" lmao, this graph just shows that Blizzard has one hell of a buisness model.

It is gonna be hard to beat A,B,C - 1,2,3....Timmy's mom can go to WalMart and buy WoW, bring it home to Timmy, and in the install and patch time, Timmy is MMOing it along side all teh other kiddies with no hang ups.......it is a tight arse outta teh box MMO, get it and go......on almost any system with at the least a 32 meg grafix card and half a gig of system memory.......

BUT, also look at what it is responsible for too, a large part of this angst and hate in teh MMO community at large atm I tell you is because of WoW, heh.....we can get into detail if you wish.....but look inside you will agree, nod nod......and tell me, how many oof that large sub # you have there, are friggin Gold spammers?!  I bet you anything the number for this is larger then most suspect......what is one of teh most hacked on things about WoW, teh inmature community, oh there is so much more, but alas......real games be calling me to login.....ciao for now

• miscbattlesmiscbattles Member Posts: 92

WoW cost 40-50 million dollars to make. Making a woW clone isn't a smart move. Why would anyone play your wow clone when they can play WoW with all of it's new expansions?

• VramiVrami Member Posts: 33

I guess people just assume a "wow clone" is the exact same game as WoW. When people throw around the term WoW clone it typically is for these reasons:

1. Cartoonish graphics

2. UI look

3. leveling based system (1-70 ect)

4. a "battleground" or "scenario" pvp system

5. Not being a sandbox

Obviously WoW was NOT the first to do this stuff BUT the reason it gets called a WoW clone is obvious because of the graph that you saw in this thread. So many people play WoW and that is all they have to compare to MMO's. The only MMO's that I have played that were VERY different was SWG pre CU and City of Heroes. It may not be right to call things WoW clones but in the end WoW clone is a term for a linear simplistic MMO that many people can easily play.

Obviously Devs are not trying to make WoW in its exact state now because we all know that people will not be willing to just pack up and leave WoW for WoW. That is why Devs are trying to make WoW and then some. WAR is the perfect example. Easy to run on computers, very linear system, UI similar to WoW, not sandbox like AT ALL, ect, ect.... Then they added the whole RvR aspect and thought they could steal people from WoW. Is it really fair to call it a WoW clone? Of course not because WoW just did the same thing as MMO's today are doing. But at the time WoW took a lot of what was best in everquest and turning it in to WoW. All games are copies of each other with typically a few new ideas.

• ronan32ronan32 Member Posts: 1,418

well you wouldnt make much money, the next big mmo will break the mould not re-cast in the same one. you're not very business savy.

• EvasiaEvasia Member Posts: 2,827
    Originally posted by susanto1228

Good Find and in reality to EA that's all they really see green, and they will use WAR to maximize profits till they have to close down the game, why do you think the game was released early?  You think Mythic wanted to release an unfinished game? hell no, but they had no choice, EA calls the shots.  Releasing War right before WOW's exp made perfect sense, maximize your profits for 3 months before WOTLK comes out so atleast you can cut your losses later if the game doesn't work out, which right now It isn't looking too good. 
    Those numbers must look really appealing to EA and its shareholders, it's no wonder WAR looks like a 100% wow clone too bad it will never have it's numbers.

And this will happen to swtor also:P

Bioware is puppet of ea they already gonne make a wow2 game so failor imment and ea pulling the plug:P

Bioware back to square one and doing what they do best make single/multiplayer games:)

Games played:AC1-Darktide'99-2000-AC2-Darktide/dawnsong2003-2005,Lineage2-2005-2006 and now Darkfall-2009.....
    In between WoW few months AoC few months and some f2p also all very short few weeks.

• EvasiaEvasia Member Posts: 2,827

biggest mistake that succesfull developers can do is joining EA SOE MS.

Games played:AC1-Darktide'99-2000-AC2-Darktide/dawnsong2003-2005,Lineage2-2005-2006 and now Darkfall-2009.....
    In between WoW few months AoC few months and some f2p also all very short few weeks.

• paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613

Next big MMO dev will be seen saying this before open beta:

"We have decided that we can't compete with the stuff that is currently out.  So we won't."

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.

• metalhead980metalhead980 Member Posts: 2,658

The problem with WoW clones are they never actually grab WoWs playerbase from them.

There are very few WoW players that want to leave that game.

so basically when one releases they grab about 300-400k Ex-wow players and thats it.

they never touch the 11 million players WoW has they just take the left overs.

This is why we need new types of MMOs let WoW have the linear fantasy pve raid centric game style.

Look at games Like Eve and Guild Wars these two games are different and are very successful.

Look at a game like RUnescape (i know you guys hate that game) it has more than 10 million accounts(not all active but still good). these games are different and don't directly compete with WoW and can even be played along with WoW as a wow players second MMO.

stop going head to head with the bull already it isn't working.

PLaying: EvE, Ryzom

Waiting For: Earthrise, Perpetuum