Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My experience trying out EVE

JinaexJinaex Member Posts: 44

I picked up the 14 day trial version of eve and gave it a shot.

The universe is nice, the graphics are nice, the gameplay is good.

Infact, I was very ready to pay the subscription fees for a long time. I thought this was the MMO that would be my next journey of epic fun.

However, after leaving the very first area and heading onto the next station, I found that during a quest to kill a bunch of pirates, my computer suffered a reboot every time I attempted this quest.

Annoyed, I decided to skip the quest dismissing the problem as a localized bug. However, every time I encountered the same type of pirates and i shot at them or they shot at me, my computer rebooted.

Checking the EVE forums it seems this is a common problem amongst players. The problem is in the Realtek audio drivers and it has been occurring to EVE'ers over the last year. (according to the forum posts)

Now here is the solution they offer:

1 - update audio drivers (didn't work for me, nor does it work for most other people with the problem)

2 - disable audio acceleration (start eve up and it gives an error about audio channels, stating that it will turn audio off)

3 - disable audio.

It really makes me angry and a bit sad that such a great game which I had set my hopes on playing becomes something I will not touch because of an audio bug.

Given the amount of time the eve team and realtek have had to work together, I doubt that this will be resolved anytime soon. And because of that i regretfully cross EVE off my list of games that I'd like to play.

Comments

• batolemaeusbatolemaeus Member CommonPosts: 2,061

Sorry to hear this.
    Realtek are a pretty shitty company, judging by their drivers. I doubt there's much ccp can do here. If it was ccps fault alone, their client would just crash (and it does with a realtek sound driver active, sometimes). But if realtek has a driver that is so badly written that it crashes the whole system, there's not much anyone but realtek can do.

I can feel you pain btw., i own two computers with a rt integrated sound chip. I had to deactivate it in bios and buy a pcie soundcard for a few euros to be able to play any games. Their drivers simply bsod the whole system frequently.

• NetzokoNetzoko Member Posts: 1,271

Realtek is garbage, it isn't EVE's fault. EVE won't make your PC bluescreen, bad drivers will.

Try a different soundcard maybe.

-------------------------

• FinwolvenFinwolven Member Posts: 289

Dammit, I think you might have just put your finger on the reason why my computer suffers random reboots when playing music or games. Have to look into that.

• SoraellionSoraellion Member UncommonPosts: 558

Onboard soundcards most of the time are really crappy and they use a lot of CPU power, they're "free" for a reason.

Get a proper Soundblaster card and you should do fine.

• DecadentiaDecadentia Member Posts: 464
    Originally posted by Soraellion

Onboard soundcards most of the time are really crappy and they use a lot of CPU power, they're "free" for a reason.
    Get a proper Soundblaster card and you should do fine.

A lot of cpu power? That s a stretch.

To the OP, you might want to see if you can find any older versions of that driver and mess around with it. Though, like some others have mentioned, you could simply get a soundcard ( they can be had cheaply in most cases)