Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Program Should I Use To Make My MMORPG?!?

hi, I'm looking to start learning how to start scrpiting better and how to make a lot better of a mmorpg... I need a good program that cost less then $400 right now but tell be about any other good programs even if there high then said price  =Þ

Ben Milford!!!

Comments

• AethiosAethios Member Posts: 1,527
    Originally posted by sheepwool

Hello, I was wondering what program I should use to make a really good looking game like World of WarCraft or some other good looking game like it.

What is it that compels people to believe they can single-handedly develop a 50-million dollar MMO in their spare time and with a single PC?

• sheepwoolsheepwool Member Posts: 12

well... I'm not REALLY excepting to get that many people to really play the game once its made because World of warcraft is aways better then me and I love to play but I'd like to try =Þ

Ben Milford!!!

• pickleballspickleballs Member UncommonPosts: 35

Hello, I was wondering what program I should use to make a really good looking game like World of WarCraft or some other good looking game like it.

Do you have any programming, scripting, 3d modeling or artistic skills.

If the answer is no i suggest you get some because there is no way in hell you will ever make a good mmorpg in your lifetime by yourself even if you can do all of the above.

Your trying to make a game by yourself similar to WOW. Hate to tell ya but it will never happen unless your a multi millionaire.

Sheepwool i just read your profile. Your 13 years old stay in school get an education. Start learning about game development and check back in 5 or 6 years.

P.S. dont do drugs or drink and drive

• sheepwoolsheepwool Member Posts: 12

I wouldent ever do drugs... And I would never drop from school =Þ But I do need to learn to program a game maybe not the best of them but still and game.

Ben Milford!!!

• VirgoThreeVirgoThree Member UncommonPosts: 1,198

Sheepwool first off do not listen to any naysayers is my first bit of advise. Secondly it is great to dream big, just remember your current place and try not to bite off more then you can chew.

The first step really is just educating yourself on what goes on when developing a game, and then learn the different types of people and skills that are required to make a game. If you find a particular set of skills you are interested in such as programming. Then go and do some research on programming such as where to start, what you need, and what you should expect. The best thing you can do right now is just educate yourself. Oh and learn about a developer from one of your favorite games and learn how they got into game design. You could get some good ideas and inspiration from it.

Next I would advise to not start on an MMO as your first project...or atleast not an MMO with the same scope as a multi million dollar project such as WoW. Just come up with a simple premise for your game, and keep the mechanics simple as well. You'll be amazed how satsifying it can be to create something and play it, even if it is as simple as pac man. This is especially true if it's your first game.

All in all I am just trying to say learn what it takes to make it happen, and just take small steps. Start a simple game, and finish it. Don't worry if the game may suck, you'll get better. Learn from your mistakes from the first attempt and improve upon it and just keep improving and improving each time. Who knows, eventually you may make a cool MMO one day or even become a lead programmer for a AAA title.

Here are some links for you to start your education.

www.sloperama.com/advice.html

www.igda.org/

www.gamasutra.com

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

I wouldent ever do drugs... And I would never drop from school =Þ But I do need to learn to program a game maybe not the best of them but still and game.

I said the same thing when I was 13, and oh, how things have changed.

But seriously dont do drugs until after your brain finishes developing.  You will skip a world of regret.

• ZodiaEclipseZodiaEclipse Member Posts: 100

Well if your just wanting to learn how to make games and realize that your not going to just throw together a super cool MMO overnight there are a few programs you can check out.

If you have little to no scripting skills look into RealmCrafter. Basically everything you need to start is included. So you can run the program, plop down some models and viola, it looks kinda like a game. Its a good tool to practice and build from while you learn the basics. The program will run you about $100.

If you're wanting something a little more powerful check out 3D Gamestudio. This one can get a bit pricey, especially for the pro edition which is the only one capable of supporting MMO's, but the graphics are much cleaner and IMO just an overall better engine. I believe it works with C lite scripting so its a good building block for learning hardcore scripting down the road.

Either of these will let you put your ideas together and start building right away. Like I said, don't buy them thinking that you will just use the models included and be able to make a fantastic game that makes Blizzard money, but you can play around and get an start learning different aspects of game development.

Good Luck.

• IhmoteppIhmotepp Member Posts: 14,495

Either Realm Crafter, or Torque MMO Kit:

You can get started with either one of those. You're not going to press a button and make WoW, but you can actually run a server, script quests, make terrain, etc.

The links posted by Virgothree aren't particularly helpful, and 3d Gamestudio doesn't have the network code you need for an MMORPG.

• wicked357wicked357 Member UncommonPosts: 172

If you are looking to make a game off of someone elses program, that is not programming. If you want to learn how to program or know get something like visual studio and learn C# and download XNA game studio then learn about XNA. Then start little like loading a sprite on screen then getting the sprite to move. If you have artistic skills then try making your own sprites to use. Once you have done that your on your start, but trust me if you want to make an mmo there is a lot more work then if you were making a single player rpg or something. Learn C languages and when I say learn I mean understand what and why the ins and the outs. I have been programming for over a year now.

Since you are starting out I would recommend you just do research into the languages because once you start this either your WoW time is done and you spend all your free time programming or you get one of those programs that someone already created that will build it for you. My suggestion to you is get an early start on programming if that is what you want to do in the future there are tons of C#, C++, ect... tutorials out there.

Originally posted by wicked357

If you are looking to make a game off of someone elses program, that is not programming.

The OP stated he wanted to make an MMORPG, not that he wanted to learn to program. Even commercial MMORPG productions are beginning to use software like the Hero Engine:

Sure, they will have programmers to add game specific features to the Engine, but the majority of the Dev Team will be level makers, scripters, model makers, etc., not C++ programmers.

Bioware recently licensed the Hero Engine. They will concentrate on making the game, instead of making the game engine.

• NotNiceDinoNotNiceDino Member Posts: 320

The program you should use to make your MMORPG should be an academic program at an university, and buddy up with business major while your there.

Active: WoW

Semi-retired: STO

Fully retired: UO, EQ, AC, SWG, FFXI, DDO:EU, PoTBS, AoC, EvE

Tried: EQ2, Tabula Rasa, Auto-Assault, Isteria, LotRO, Wizard 101

Looking forward to: Star Citizen

• Zayne3145Zayne3145 Member Posts: 1,448

What you have to remember is that such an undertaking is immensely complicated. I can quite safely say that for a novice, creating something as elaborate as a MMORPG is impossible. The reasons for this are too numerous to mention here, suffice to say you won't manage it.

The best you can hope to achieve is perhaps a Flash-based game with multiplayer support or by using one of the MMO packages mentioned above.

• wicked357wicked357 Member UncommonPosts: 172
    Originally posted by Ihmotepp

If you are looking to make a game off of someone elses program, that is not programming.

The OP stated he wanted to make an MMORPG, not that he wanted to learn to program. Even commercial MMORPG productions are beginning to use software like the Hero Engine:

Sure, they will have programmers to add game specific features to the Engine, but the majority of the Dev Team will be level makers, scripters, model makers, etc., not C++ programmers.

Bioware recently licensed the Hero Engine. They will concentrate on making the game, instead of making the game engine.

Actually they program there own tools to use that are specific to there game. So yes you do need to know programming. If you didn't companies that are higher for there software engineer positions wouldnt state strong C++ skills 3 years experience. If you don't know anything about it don't speak. Using an engine is just that it is a engine if you don't know what an engine is read up. Everything that is there game still have to be programmed, yes I said it programmed! If you think that game companies don't use programming anymore your on crack and obviously is completely speaking out of there ass! I have a task for you go download a game engine or buy a cheap one. Load it up and see what happens! This isn't unreal tournament where they give you the map builder.... lol. If you create your own game you have to know programming. A lot of companies license a game engine already created some are really good vs making your own.

Actually they program there own tools to use that are specific to there game. So yes you do need to know programming. If you didn't companies that are higher for there software engineer positions wouldnt state strong C++ skills 3 years experience. If you don't know anything about it don't speak. Using an engine is just that it is a engine if you don't know what an engine is read up. Everything that is there game still have to be programmed, yes I said it programmed! If you think that game companies don't use programming anymore your on crack and obviously is completely speaking out of there ass! I have a task for you go download a game engine or buy a cheap one. Load it up and see what happens! This isn't unreal tournament where they give you the map builder.... lol. If you create your own game you have to know programming. A lot of companies license a game engine already created some are really good vs making your own.

The Original poster said he wanted to make an MMORPG not that he wanted to be a programmer. Those are two separate issues.

Ok, you can program some C++, that's great. But a Hobbyist can purchase Realm Crafter, and make an MMORPG without programming. No, it won't be WoW or EQ3, but it will be an MMORPG.

And look at the Hero Engine. No one on this forum can afford it, but I gaurantee you I could make an MMORPG with it without programming, and without smoking crack.

If you don't beleive me, then buy me the Hero Engine, and I'll prove it.

You're free to post your opinion, as am I, so don't waste your time requesting that I don't speak.

• GoldknyghtGoldknyght Member UncommonPosts: 1,519

C# and XNA. PC versions using XNA can be MMO's just not the XBOX part. Blender for models, and Gimp or Photoshop for 2D models. LEARN LEARN LEARN gonna be awhile though FYI.

• banthisbanthis Member Posts: 1,891

The Original poster said he wanted to make an MMORPG not that he wanted to be a programmer. Those are two separate issues.

Ok, you can program some C++, that's great. But a Hobbyist can purchase Realm Crafter, and make an MMORPG without programming. No, it won't be WoW or EQ3, but it will be an MMORPG.

And look at the Hero Engine. No one on this forum can afford it, but I gaurantee you I could make an MMORPG with it without programming, and without smoking crack.

You're free to post your opinion, as am I, so don't waste your time requesting that I don't speak.

You still have to be able to program and script in order to use Engines even the Hero one.  You can't just buy an engine and hit play you have to know how to use it.   My company builds engines and you dont just buy our engine and hit a button you have to programmatically use the engine.   There is no way to make an MMORPG with just an Engine Tool, most MMO engines don't even include all the stuff you need for programming the network end.   If he knows nothing about network programming he's out of luck there too.  

There are some freebie plug n play MMO makers but they are extremely limited, some don't even include networking capability or charge to use their network service, and provide little capability to do anything even remotely close to WoW or even what UO could. 

If the OP wants to make an MMO and wants it to even be remotely fun for him and a few friends to play he'll need to learn how to Script and program and be an artist (art doesn't come with engines either ya know).   If he wants to make a game even if its Tetris online his best bet is to start small and learn how to make pong using C++ or C#, XNA etc.  There are tons of books that can get a person started but if you dont knwo jack squat a tool or an engine is of complete waste to spend money on.

Originally posted by banthis

You still have to be able to program and script in order to use Engines even the Hero one.  You can't just buy an engine and hit play you have to know how to use it.   My company builds engines and you dont just buy our engine and hit a button you have to programmatically use the engine.   There is no way to make an MMORPG with just an Engine Tool, most MMO engines don't even include all the stuff you need for programming the network end.   If he knows nothing about network programming he's out of luck there too.  

There are some freebie plug n play MMO makers but they are extremely limited, some don't even include networking capability or charge to use their network service, and provide little capability to do anything even remotely close to WoW or even what UO could. 

If the OP wants to make an MMO and wants it to even be remotely fun for him and a few friends to play he'll need to learn how to Script and program and be an artist (art doesn't come with engines either ya know).   If he wants to make a game even if its Tetris online his best bet is to start small and learn how to make pong using C++ or C#, XNA etc.  There are tons of books that can get a person started but if you dont knwo jack squat a tool or an engine is of complete waste to spend money on.

Script, yes, program no.

If you want to make an MMORPG with Realm Crafter or Hero Engine, you don't have to program. No, you won't be able to add unique features, but both the low end Realm Crafter and the high end Hero Engine will generate the network code for your client and server.

Take a look at the Hero Engine if you haven't done so:

I'm not saying that you dont' need programmers to make an AAA commercial MMORPG. Of course you do, even with the Hero Engine, because you're going to want to program unique features for your game.

But seriously, look at the Hero Engine, take a look at the videos, and tell me you have to program to make a generic MMORPG. You don't.

Yes, you have to know how to use the engine, that goes for any software. You can't use Windows if you don't know how. That doesn't mean you have to program in C++.

"Source Code Available -- So you can extend the engine."

http://www.heroengine.com/why.asp

You need the source code if you want to extend the engine. Otherwise, you don't.

• liamkincaidliamkincaid Member UncommonPosts: 27

looks very cool but very complicated to